Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Gamer UK: STO Pushed Back to July 2010

warrior41warrior41 Member Posts: 65

According to the latest PC Gamer UK, STO is out July 2010. Either they pulled it out of their hat, unlikely, or they were privy so some inside information. 

Champions Online may be pushed back as well.

Cryptic has refused to comment about this on their official forums.

This is pretty disheartening news. They were saying before they were aiming for a fall 2009 release.

This news, along with the announcement of no interiors, pretty much makes me down on STO.  

Comments

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

well hopefully the delay for sto will only make it better. i was hoping it would come out this year but if they need to delay it to fix the code or something thats totally fine with me.  and personally i really dont care at all about champions online.  looks weak in my opinion

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

sto was interesting back in 2006 2007 when they announced and did something about it..

you must be desperate star trek fan, to still follow game now

• ArunArun Member UncommonPosts: 52

Be honest and realistic it was never going to be out this year.

Originally posted by shukes33
    Grind is not one of the downfalls of DF it is just a feature.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Another false thread backed by complete ignorance

Forum: Star Trek Online Discussion 04-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Replies: 104 ***STO Release Date***

Views: 2,980 Posted By Awen

Guys you know that we haven't announced the...

Guys you know that we haven't announced the release date yet. No trying to trick the new kid into giving it away. :)

So yes, they did comment on this on the official forums and there are similiar comments like this one. They said they haven't announced a date yet, so anything that says otherwise is false. They've never given a date at any time on a release.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• ThradarThradar Member Posts: 949

Who really thought STO would be out this year?  Seriously?

Some time next year was my original expectation anyway.

• warrior41warrior41 Member Posts: 65
    Originally posted by Smikis

sto was interesting back in 2006 2007 when they announced and did something about it..
    you must be desperate star trek fan, to still follow game now

I must be REALLY desperate, because I have been following the game since fall 2004, when it was announced by Perpetual. 

I know I'm a loser. 

• smokeybhasmokeybha Member UncommonPosts: 129

Don't get my wrong I like/liked City of Heroes (was a Cryptic game), But Cryptic has to be one of the slowest companies I've ever seen. It's been close to what 4/5 years since CoH was released and they just now launched update 14?

• Kvasir_029Kvasir_029 Member Posts: 46
    Originally posted by smokeybha

Don't get my wrong I like/liked City of Heroes (was a Cryptic game), But Cryptic has to be one of the slowest companies I've ever seen. It's been close to what 4/5 years since CoH was released and they just now launched update 14?

I'm not quite sure what your definition of slow is, but that is almost 3 Issues released per year. And most of them tend to be fairly big issues, not minor fixes or a couple new pieces of content. Not to mention the bug fixes, events and other things sprinkled in throughout the year. Add to that, the fact that in CoH/CoV you don't pay for the expansions like in WoW.

More on topic, with Cryptics new engine they look to be able to reduce development time significantly and seeing as how they've only really had the STO license for over a year, they look like they're moving along nicely. I'm also not sure how something can be "pushed back" when there has been no official release date stated by the company in the first place. Until the time that Cryptic officially announces a date, any dates stated by other sources are pure conjecture.

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I actually am hoping it does get pushed back. Having the game out this year would be great and all but I still don't believe that they are giving this project enough time to get all of what they plan to do working properly. We've already seen some of the fringe features (Things that were mentioned but weren't actually promised) get cut but if they try to keep to this short production schedule more feature cuts will happen. I'd rather see the game release get pushed back a little than get an incomplete buggy game this year. We've seen that happen too many times in this industry already.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• warrior41warrior41 Member Posts: 65

But even with the delay to summer 2010 we won't see ship interiors included in launch. 

If Cryptic adds them in an expansion, it could be until 2011 that I actually play the game I wanted to play in the first place. 

All this from a game first accounced in 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by warrior41

But even with the delay to summer 2010 we won't see ship interiors included in launch. 
     If Cryptic adds them in an expansion, it could be until 2011 that I actually play the game I wanted to play in the first place. 
    All this from a game first accounced in 2004!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah, but to be completely fair Cryptic has only had the IP since January 2008. To get the game out this year would be a less than two year development cycle which is unheard of in the MMO industry. These games generally take from four to six years to develop. Even with a working game engine already like they claim to have I don't think that two years is enough time given the amount of content they are planning for STO even without the ship interiors. If they do try and get the game out this year we will see more features cut (The promised ones this time) and some content cut out of the game as well. Two years just wont give them enough time to produce a game with the scope they are planning at launch.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I don't give much weight to launch dates on gaming websites other than the official one.  Most of these dates are just pulled out of a hat.

If makes you feel better, I was at a Gamestop this weekend and they had it listed as Jan 26 2010 release.

• loyaltrekieloyaltrekie Member Posts: 105
    Originally posted by Darth_Osor

I don't give much weight to launch dates on gaming websites other than the official one.  Most of these dates are just pulled out of a hat.
    If makes you feel better, I was at a Gamestop this weekend and they had it listed as Jan 26 2010 release.

You shouldn't be trusting the official websites either, Most MMO's first few release dates even on the official sites are usually wrong, lol. If you have ever tracked a game from announcment to release, you know how true that is.

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Originally posted by smokeybha

Cryptic sold CoH to NCSoft back in 2007, so they don't have anything to do with CoH anymore.

• tamgrostamgros Member Posts: 88

I don't take too much stock in the date.  There is another mag that states the closed beta will start June 16th, 09.  Yeah, about 3 weeks from now....

In the same PCGAMER mag (which is in my lap right now by the way) they have Supreme Commander 2 being released in 2010 and give the link to the old supreme commander game site.  Clearly this STO date isn't solid...

I do find it funny though that some of the same people who don't believe that Cryptic is honest about adding interiors, find this date to be a fact.  That isn't directed at anyone here really, more just a general statement about people here and on the STOforums

• skepticalskeptical Member Posts: 357

I will be shocked if this game is anything but a total piece of crap when it comes out. First of all if you need a name like star trek to sell a game then you can pretty much assume the game is going to be all hype and no substance. MMO's seem to be trying to sell people on name recognition of either the game itself or the developer. Star Wars, Conan,  Warhammer,  Tabula Rasa, Vanguard they all tried this and they all sucked big time.

This whole star trek project is a hand-me-down from the now disbanded and bankrupt P2 studios; yes the great designers that gave us Gods and Heros. Oh wait that game never even made it out the door even with SoE agreeing to publish it. SoE the company that would put out a MMO based on clubbing baby seals if they thought they could make 5 bucks off it. The only reason this game is still going ahead is because they know tons of star trek geeks will buy it. It can't possibly fail until people actually start playing it and all quit because the game sucks. This has my vote for biggest flop of next year already. I wouldn't touch this game until 6 months post release. This has all the signs of a game that has its best numbers on release day and falls off a cliff from there.

• OrthedosOrthedos Member Posts: 1,771
    Originally posted by skeptical

I will be shocked if this game is anything but a total piece of crap when it comes out. First of all if you need a name like star trek to sell a game then you can pretty much assume the game is going to be all hype and no substance. MMO's seem to be trying to sell people on name recognition of either the game itself or the developer. Star Wars, Conan,  Warhammer,  Tabula Rasa, Vanguard they all tried this and they all sucked big time.
    This whole star trek project is a hand-me-down from the now disbanded and bankrupt P2 studios; yes the great designers that gave us Gods and Heros. Oh wait that game never even made it out the door even with SoE agreeing to publish it. SoE the company that would put out a MMO based on clubbing baby seals if they thought they could make 5 bucks off it. The only reason this game is still going ahead is because they know tons of star trek geeks will buy it. It can't possibly fail until people actually start playing it and all quit because the game sucks. This has my vote for biggest flop of next year already. I wouldn't touch this game until 6 months post release. This has all the signs of a game that has its best numbers on release day and falls off a cliff from there.

I offer 3 counter examples to your bullshit theories: UO, SWG and LOTRo.  All three scores considerable success upon launch.

These 3 use well known names to sell a game.  Ultima series, Star Wars and Lord of the Rings.  All 3 are solid games and each has their own early success.  UO is old and fading, SWG dies in the hands of SoE, LOTRo is young and still going.