Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

warning this game is not meant for the casual gamer

Comments

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Xnxax

Ok, i was very hyped about this game when i first saw it. The pvp system and the looting system and i loved how it was a sandbox MMO. I mean this game looked like it was gonna be sweet. Well i got on the forums and i found out that this game is not what it first apeared to be.
    This game will have no /tell system over long distances( you can have guild chat channels, but only after you purchase the upgrade on your guildstone and you can /tell people only in your immediate area), no global chat, no minimap and possibly no compass, you will have to buy maps and update them because the world will constantly be being discovered, which means you dont get a world map with the outlines of the continents OR an icon that tells you where you are, HUH!?!?! Which means you have to find out where you are depending on landmarks and your maps (which 'may  not be 'accurate' says a dev.). In order to get a minimap, you will have advance in magic to get awarness spells and crap. Ok...wow, i dont know about you but my interest in this game has been all but  obliterated. This game seems to be geared almost completely toward the role-player and the developers seemed to have no interest in the casual gamer. This disapointed me extremely =(.
    I find it very sad that this company would throw away such a great oppurtunity for the sake of realism and roleplayers, when the great majority of players are not roleplayers. So now you know.

Well... We will have to see how it works out. Given that its open PvP, full looting and all that, its possible we are looking at Gankfall 2.  Its too bad, as the graphics look wonderful. Oh well, millions of dollars and years of effort to make another game that niches itself on launch. To each their own I guess...<shrug>

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167

You mean there's a game I don't have to listen to 12 year olds talking smack in global chat... where do I sign up?

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by bagnol

I think you're all missing the point, I think the OP means casual players as in people who would only play a few hours a week and like to talk to friends and stuff with the little time they play, and don't want to spend all their time grinding for necessities pretty much all other games provide.  I too am slowly losing my desire to play this game, with the cocky mods on the official forums to the "revolutionary" ideas that will cut a lot of casual players (including myself) out. I for one don't want to have to go exploring for 3 hours before finding where I need to be, and then need to go exploring again to get back. Shastra is right though, any other game would have been a failure from the start if one day they announced they were removing global chat and long range pms, why not this one?

Edit: about the whole "no cellphone" thing, it's supposed to be a completely made up fantasy world. Give everyone a magical stone that let's them communicate or something, don't remove half of the interactivity between players.

There are tons of games out there that have all those features, why not just play those. I(and many others) need a game, that isn't holding my hand every second of the way.   I want to get dropped in a world, not knowing where I am and what to do.  I want to figure stuff out by my self. I hope this game doesn't  put ? or what-not over quest givers heads.  Ive hated that for a long time now and it seems every damn games does that shit and its pissing me off hardcore, as you can tell. lol.

Why not play Darkfall?  you may be asking, its the same thing.  Well I just am not interested in how the game looks first off. MO has what DF has to offer + better graphics and animations which to me = a better gaming experience and immersion. 2nd the game didn't even make it to retail and Its almost impossible to buy online because the store seems to always be closed. 

To answer your question about the global chat and pms. I think people are finally getting fed up with that crap. The people that Role Play don't want to hear people in global chat, it makes sense. Why should you hear someone from the opposite side of the world, these things you don't like bring more immersion in the world, for me at least.   I remember when WAR didn't have global chat for a while and I liked it, then they implimented and then it was just another thing I didn't like about the game.

Im not trying to put you or anyone down that likes global chat or anything like of the sort. Its just I really havent found a game to get sucked into in a long time  and feel like im actually that character exploring, running around for hours trying to find things for a quest.  Thats what makes it fun, for me at least. lol  I remember tyring to navigate places in FFXI without a map, man it was some of the best times Ive had in a game.

• DrAllcomeDrAllcome Member Posts: 79

There are like 50 games or more out there for the casual gamer it is good to see a company going in another direction. I like how there is no /tell or chat channels reminds me of old time UO.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

All MMO's are dumbed down for the casual gamers and the 15-25 year old ADD kiddies.  The things you posed actually are refreshing to see.

• kwoshkwosh Member Posts: 109

I myself dont mind a /tell system but the global chat thing is aweful.. I just like thinking about the excitement and the adventure and the exploration and the danger involved...   going someplace that you might not make it out of is like really serious gaming... whens the last time you played a game that had you on the edge of your seat???   I really hope the developers read some of this... take note dev's   we want true adventure!!!! danger!!  and fun!!

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

Ok, i was very hyped about this game when i first saw it. The pvp system and the looting system and i loved how it was a sandbox MMO. I mean this game looked like it was gonna be sweet. Well i got on the forums and i found out that this game is not what it first apeared to be.
    This game will have no /tell system over long distances( you can have guild chat channels, but only after you purchase the upgrade on your guildstone and you can /tell people only in your immediate area), no global chat, no minimap and possibly no compass, you will have to buy maps and update them because the world will constantly be being discovered, which means you dont get a world map with the outlines of the continents OR an icon that tells you where you are, HUH!?!?! Which means you have to find out where you are depending on landmarks and your maps (which 'may  not be 'accurate' says a dev.). In order to get a minimap, you will have advance in magic to get awarness spells and crap. Ok...wow, i dont know about you but my interest in this game has been all but  obliterated. This game seems to be geared almost completely toward the role-player and the developers seemed to have no interest in the casual gamer. This disapointed me extremely =(.
    I find it very sad that this company would throw away such a great oppurtunity for the sake of realism and roleplayers, when the great majority of players are not roleplayers. So now you know.

Bo hoo. Devs said they want to strengthen player community by actually making them half to socialize, hence a better "MMORPG" experience rather than just a RPG. You can auto join some group, you will half to go to some popular tavern or location where players gather specifically forming parties and trading/socializing. You don't half to be hardcore to want a lush MMO experience.

You can go ahead and play WoW or whatever, they have some pretty nice anti-social systems in place. There are TONS of mmorpg's that cater to the likes of you. If mortal online doesn't then that's fine. It caters to those who matter.

• lornjlornj Member Posts: 334

oh my goodness! a game that actually makes you have to work to do something and everything isnt spoonfed to you. i may actually play this game if what the OP says is true. MMO's these days have made people lazy and not appreciate the actual in game environment discovery. if you have to actually remember how to get somewhere without clicking some button to take you there is going to be fine by me.

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258
    Originally posted by Vinterkrig

who cares about chat, use ventrilo

Vent kills immersion if you all aren't in the same place or if you hear some guys voice but they play a girl in game.. But I would use it in a party, and maybe guild chat if im not in a party.... Most games just feel like MMOG now days.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by bagnol

I think you're all missing the point, I think the OP means casual players as in people who would only play a few hours a week and like to talk to friends and stuff with the little time they play, and don't want to spend all their time grinding for necessities pretty much all other games provide.  I too am slowly losing my desire to play this game, with the cocky mods on the official forums to the "revolutionary" ideas that will cut a lot of casual players (including myself) out. I for one don't want to have to go exploring for 3 hours before finding where I need to be, and then need to go exploring again to get back. Shastra is right though, any other game would have been a failure from the start if one day they announced they were removing global chat and long range pms, why not this one?

Edit: about the whole "no cellphone" thing, it's supposed to be a completely made up fantasy world. Give everyone a magical stone that let's them communicate or something, don't remove half of the interactivity between players.

Do Space MMO's suck exclusively because YOU don't like space? Does everquest 1 suck exclusively beacuse YOU happen to dislike dated gfx? Does mortal online suck exclusively because YOU aren't part of it's target audience?

News flash, there are ALOT of mmo's in the market, and alot coming up. This is not the only one. if this isn't YOUR mmo. Then what's the big deal, find one that is. Do you get pissed off every time you pass the womens underwear section JUST because you aren't a women?

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

I've completely lost interest as well.. I already get completely lost in FP mode, and given that there will be NO 3rd person view, and NO minimap or radar, I'm just done with it... And  I'm not saying I'm done because it's a bad idea; no, for many it's a good idea, but for me it's my inability to play in FP mode, I would actually need a minimap to move around if forced to play in FP mode.

• fansedefansede Member UncommonPosts: 960

What, no spam messages for gold seller sites?

::akes a second look::

• sandolainensandolainen Member Posts: 62

Has anyone got a source for the statements about /tells? I can't seem to find anything more than speculation about it...

• L1ghtsabeRL1ghtsabeR Member Posts: 102

I am honestly very confused why this makes the game more hardcore, also, I have no idea what any of this has to do with role playing. Just because everything is not delivered to you on a silver platter and you actually have to use your damn brain in order to accomplish something in the game, does not make it more hardcore. If anything, it will scare away stupid people who can't even handle a simple task like using maps and compasses.

While the game offers many features to the hardcore gamers (full loot FFA PvP, conquest, building cities ect) you will still be able to play it as a casual gamer. Leveling up your skills will not take too long, so you won't need to spend months in order to be able to start enjoying the game with your friends and competing with others who have spent more time playing it.

Maybe I don't understand your definition of hardcore. In my mind, hardcore players are the one's who spend a lot of time playing the game. This is not a requirement for MO, you will not need to grind and raid or do any of those mindlessly boring things in order to be able to compete and interact with other players.

If you define a game as hardcore if it requires more skill from the player, then yes, that's exactly what MO will be. It will be a game based on player skill. If you don't like it, then simply move on and pick another game, where your own skills matter less and success is determined by random numbers or by how much time you have wasted grinding or raiding.

• XnxaxXnxax Member Posts: 73

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/answered-questions/

The link above is to the forums from which i got all of my info from, which i got from the developers that were commenting. You may need to make an account on the forums to access it, idk.

Wow. This post had a complete different effect than i thought it would. I saw this as a major inconvienience, not so much the global chat, but the not having a map or a long distance /tell system besides pigeons.(which have a delay) I just dont see exploration and getting lost as fun.

Although, i think im going to go back on myself =P. I still play some MUDS and i remember not knowing what the hell was going on at first and it was a little fun. After a while, i got to know the areas and i guess navigation did not become a real issue. I just see it as an issue for the new players and those people who dont have time to find out where they are going. Sure they could use a third party system, IF they know someone who plays or gets involved in a guild that has vent or the like. I feel as if they are stepping a little over the line between reality and a game, i mean i cant think of a MMO that didnt give you a map with a marker so you know where you are. Even UO had a minimap(im pretty sure...its been a while). Sure you can say its breaking the mold from WOW which has expanded the gaming community and made precedents for MMOs even if they do make care bears out of players. I agree with all of you that said they want something new that steers away from the WoW steriotype. I just dont want such a radical approach that gets rid of staples that ive had from day one(which was UO for me). I could be totally wrong and just afraid of change but if it goes in the tank i told you so, if it doesnt...youll find me wandering around a forest probrably getting chased by a damn bear.

I will wait and see what it will really be like, who knows, with replies like this it may be successfull after all.

Tried: EvE, DnD Online, LotRO, WAR, AoC,
    Played: UO, SWG(pre-cu), GuildWars, FFXI, WoW
    Liked: UO, SWG, GuildWars
    Disliked: WoW, FFXI

"Sorry, haven't got time to read the whole thread. I will, later.

-There will be no global chat or channel.

-There will be guild-chat channels, once you have the appropriate "collective conscious"-upgrade for your guild-stone. It doesn't matter if you like it or not, as every other third-party communication-program will give you the same.

-There will be messaging (like sending a message to your friend to arrange a meeting) by sending a pigeon, but the pigeon will have a delay, making it worthless in battle or when quick communication is needed.

-There will be /whisper/tell to people nearby. But /whispers/tells may be overheard by people with good hearing skill or lip-reading skill."

That's a dev quote from the MO forums about chat interface and such. Thread: [url]http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/5695-chat-interface.html[/url]

Alright, if there's pidgeons instead of /tells (basically pm's with a delay), I'm fine with it. All I really want them for is arranging with my friends to meet somewhere or just talk trash. Unless the delay is way too long, that will be fine with that system... and if it really is a problem I'll just use IRC/MSN/Xfire/Steam/whatever for that.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

OP's concerns really backfired, more people are interested in MO now..lol

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• riceae02riceae02 Member UncommonPosts: 180

You ppl kill me ... you had the BEST game in the world;  it had absolutely everything in a game you could have, and you did not support it so Sony had to dump it down in hopes of making it profitable. Yes I'm talking about the original SWG ... Hardcore players my butt ... you people make me sick.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by riceae02

You ppl kill me ... you had the BEST game in the world;  it had absolutely everything in a game you could have, and you did not support it so Sony had to dump it down in hopes of making it profitable. Yes I'm talking about the original SWG ... Hardcore players my butt ... you people make me sick.

Oh dear ...

:<

• jnewljnewl Member Posts: 26

Awesome. Hadn't even heard of this game until now, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it! (Please, God, let it run in Linux...)

Some ancient cultures used to worship cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.

Originally posted by jnewl

Awesome. Hadn't even heard of this game until now, but I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it! (Please, God, let it run in Linux...)

I think starting a topic on their forums is more effective than writing to santa ;)

• clwoodsclwoods Member Posts: 625

ITT Disapointment is transmuted into excitement.

• mutombo55mutombo55 Member Posts: 151

Sigh, I'm seeing more and more "I'm a leet hardc0re gamer" mentality creeping into these MO forums. Go back to refreshing the DF box sales page.

Realistic does not always equal fun. I havent read anything about MO Chat channels or Mapping apart from the OPs post, but it seems a bit dumb.

Automapping should be ingame, because these days people will just be alt-tabbing to "MO-maps.com". Perhaps they could tie automapping into a "Cartography" skill, that as you explore it levels, and as it levels, your automapping improves with better detail and the "You are Here" circle shrinks to become more accurate.

Zone/Global Chat is needed, lest the game world feel empty. It was a common complaint in WAR even during launch, when their servers were jam-packed. It just helps to foster a living world with that "other players are here too" feel.

If you dont like the automapping and want to go explore and scrawl out your own hand notes like old school Bards Tale/Wizardry/Gold Box, thats cool, just dont ever open the map window.

If you dont want the global chat, opt out of the channel.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Hopefully we will see more of these MMOs now. Games where you need to use your brain. Not hardcore, but you ned to think, plan and wonder about how to do thing sand solve problems.

I personally love the idea, about no minimap, Seriusly! How many of us walk around with a map? We find our way by leaning how find and reading signs/landmarks. Why have a minimap in the first place??

MO is suppose to be a sandbox. You dont have to travel if you dont want to. From what i know its not quests based (same as Darkfall), so wont be forced to travel around the whole world to deliver mail. Wich would be a real pain in the ass.  But travleing and exploration will be done by the ones that love it. And they dont need a minimap : )

• redhands123redhands123 Member Posts: 179

lol I think its funny how game devs talks about the idea of getting rid of the precious global chat, minimap, and insta tells to anywhere in the world and everyone yells THE WORLDS OVER ILL NEVER FIND MY FRIENDS! THIS IS GOING TO BE A HORRIBLE GAME! ITS NOT USER FRIENDLY ENOUGH FOR ME!!!!