Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoD rip off? epic fail for Funcom?

2»

Comments

• PatternizerPatternizer Member Posts: 114
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

what i don't understand is why Funcom would attempt at a new game when there is still so much to be done with AoC. This is either gonna end really bad or really bad and funny.

Read the timline post this isnt a new project AFAIK and also i heard rumors of this project Long before they anounced AoC. AFAIK!!!!

Info : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/231692/The-Secret-World-Time-Line-Production-.html ....

Signature!!!...

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Originally posted by Umbral 
    Adacanavar, you are wrong.

The Secret World and all the Lovecraft  lore similarities has absolute nothing to do with Word of Darkness universe.
    Your hunter analogy is even worse...
    I can see only 3 possibilities here:
    1-You dont know much about TSW or the Lovecraft fantastic lore.
    2-You know nothing about World of Darkness universe.
    3-You are just expressing a "failcom" cliche and trying to sound smart.
    In the end , I am excited about TSW and WoD, but Adacavanar, you are so confused about both games and universes.

I vote all of thee above... 'nuff said.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I like world of darkness and like what I hear so far about the secret world.  If they both rob each other blind of lore and concepts I don't care as long as one of them releases a decent game.  At this point I don't think beggars can be choosers in the current mmo world.

That aside, they both have similar themes, but to me read as mirror oposites.  WoD is all about being the vampire or werewolf.  Secret world sounds like you want to put an end to the dark spooky think that goes RAWR in the night.

Lovercraft, cuthulu, world of darkness, at this point I don't care.  As long as they take their time and release a fun game.  Call it dark world of  lovethulucraft as far as I am concerned (not a world of warcraft pun).

No levels, no classes, story based gameplay.  Sounds good so far.

• irishsamuraiirishsamurai Member Posts: 1

I personally dont care if multiple developers try to come out with the same thing, that's five chances to get it right.  I hope TSW is amazing so I'll have an amazing game to play.  I love the effort in marketing they've already begun. I've got my code from the Secret Sanctuary. :)

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by Frostbite05

what i don't understand is why Funcom would attempt at a new game when there is still so much to be done with AoC. This is either gonna end really bad or really bad and funny.

Different games. Different teams.

Plus, once the brunt of the work is done on a MMO - the initial development and launch - they can typically downsize that game's team and move members over to work on other projects.

For example, Square Enix seems to have no fewer than 4 or 5 projects going on at once at times.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by argos5

This it to address all posters who keep referencing WoW towards D&D and LotR:

Wrath of the Lich King blatanty is jacking LotR. So was WC3: The Frozen Throne to a very minor degree.

WoW jacked D&D for its classes.

WoW's mythos ultimately owes its inspiration to Warhammer. If you look up the Warhammer universe, it takes a good number of its lore to inspire the events and grit present in the original Warcraft.

So please, if you're going to reference this sort of stuff... at least tack on Warhammer to it.

Frankly... I think people need to get off the "who ripped-off who" thing already.

People should realize by now that *anything* they see, read or hear is going to have been inspired by something else. Everything. There's nothing - or at least very little - that is truly original in this world.

Just enjoy it, or don't enjoy it, for what it is.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663

I've got an idea!

Play it first and then formulate your oponion with realistic experience.

Oh what is that? You can't play it because it's in developement phase?

Alrighty then, please shut up and come back when you have some hard evidence to support it.

Thanks,

Ink

• AdacanavarAdacanavar Member Posts: 9

To respond to the people that have ragged on me first off let me say yes i do know about WoD and lovecraft i play WoD and obviously know more about it than you do.  Stating that the secreat world from the ads storyline and everything else is more lovecrafting than WoD is just dense. Love craft wrote horror storys based around are own RL mythos about such creatures WoD and secret world neither one take the RL mythos into account very much.  I ranted I admit it mainly because i'm a fan of WoD as i know many are out there of WoD and don't want to see it get butchered by what has been proven to be a second rate game producer like funcom.

This post was supposed to be a questinair mostly i was looking for honest opinions from people and some got that others didn't especially those that ragged and didn't give any real feed back or thoughts on weather it will be the same or have the issues that other funcom titles have had.

I ranted a little bit during my post cause i'm sick off all the rip offs and shoddy unfinished mmos that have been released recently i admit that i'm more concerned with funcoms abilitie to acutally produce a game worth playing.

the reason i didn't bring up other mmos besides WoD, starwars, and earthrise is because i was only going after the ones with the most current hype when i made the post. And WoD was a comparision to secret world because its almost exaclty the same in terms of how they are presenting it.

And finally to the person that said that secret world has been around longer in concept that WoD um yeah dude go check copyrights on the WoD materials at any bookstore that sales rpg books particularly vampire the darkages and then kick yourself in the head.

Looking for realy feed back not personal attacks please if you feel like attacking me fine just give some actual feedback in the post as well.

I am the monkey

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Adacanavar

All press realease's on this game so far institute that is a cheap rip off of white wolfs world of darkness, before you complain here i'm not talking about the super top secret WoD online said to be in production by CCP who merged with white wolf. I'm speaking of the actual WoD PnP games. I have played or demoed every Funcom game to date and i have to say i'm not really thinking they will pull off what they are trying with this title.
    First off you have Earthrise and The old republic launching and Funcom had there epic fail with age of conan which is better now but still missing all the elements of an MMo that will last. Instead of focusing there efforts on makeing an existing MMo better they are running off trying to get a drop on CCP's WoD MMo slatted for betas in 2010 with a game like it but not like it hopeing to snare in MMo fans with what amounts to copyright theft, there by lining there pockets with the hard earned money of those who have been waiting to get a taste of a modern era gothic/fantasy MMo.
    After the poor production tech support and unprecedentedly early realease of there previous MMo title age of conan can we really trust them to produce an MMo worth playing or just another epic fail of what they state for a mission goal. Will this game also be falsely marketed or will it be the real deal.
    I almost think that white-wolf publishing/ CCP should just take Funcom to court for copy right infringment and save the people out there some cash plus hopefully just put a death nail in this company that justly deserves to be disassembled just for falsely advertising there previous title's.
    I don't know maybe thats just me but if you are going to make an MMo make it right don't steal your ideas from others. Give the gameplay you advertise instead of advertising things as being in a game that aren't even in the production stages for the game and never will be. If I have seen one repeated thing from Funcom it is not giveing what they advertise and not being original in anything they do plus chargeing people to play buggy games that they fix only rarely if at all and expecting a person to be satisfied with that.
    Maybe this is just me but i feel that this game just isn't going to be worth the trouble Funcom has gone to in posting the press realease's and i'm for the most part willing to give every game a shot just searching for that next great story.
    hope i didn't offend anyone with this post but its how i feel please don't put to much hope in this game until you know more.
    Adacanavar

Post-modern horror genre... Hellgate already did this. 

• horridhorrid Member Posts: 129

*shrug* I doubt it is a copy.    There have been dozens of stories along this line - some thousands of years old.  And even then, why care?  If TSW sucks and you don't like it how exactly does that detract from WoD?  That would be like saying the Hobbit sucks because you read some bad fantasy novel. 

Funcom isn't a 2nd rate dev.  They have released some top games.  AO recovered after a bad launch ( worth remembering that every mmorpg back then had a bad launch) to become an amazing game - if they upgraded the graphics to todays standards I would go back to AO in an instant, best character development in any mmorpg I have tried.  AoC is recovering to become a great game.  Funcom have excelent ideas and design but tend to need the feedback and funding of a full scale release to work the issues though.  Some people see this as 2nd rate while they ignore that at least Funcom tries to bring something new to the table.  When bringing something new there are things you can't learn without big numbers playing. 

I'm going to play both, and they are both so far off into the sunset. So for now I'm going to wait and see; I played Vampire:Requiem so that will be interesting to try and the secret world, honestly...sounds like a great new idea.

So even if some lovecraftian lore ends up slipping through the cracks, I wouldnt mind it all. I'm not a lore purist and would sacrifice a little lore for some entertainment. For example:Look what they did to spider-mans black costume theory. I just laughed.

• White_DustWhite_Dust Member Posts: 5

Wow, EverQuest and.... well..... technicly every goddammed high fantasybased games is a Dungeons & Dragons ripp-off (And no, not talking about the quadzillion PC/console incarnations). Dungeon&Dragons leans quite heavily on Tolkiens Middleearth creation..... wich, on his side, is based on legends and myths....

Shut up about ripp-offs -_-

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089

The Secret World is not a rip off. It will be an all original failure brought to you by the jokers at Funcom.

• UmbralUmbral Member Posts: 1,051

To respond to the people that have ragged on me first off let me say yes i do know about WoD and lovecraft i play WoD and obviously know more about it than you do. 
    Because you play it you obviously know more about it than anyone? Is this a joke?
    Your initial comparison showed you "obviously" dont know much about WoD or Lovecraft.
    Stating that the secreat world from the ads storyline and everything else is more lovecrafting than WoD is just dense.
    Why?
    Love craft wrote horror storys based around are own RL mythos about such creatures
    No, Lovecraft had some mythological influence (WoD too), but most of Lovecraft lore is original, but it is so well done people started to "belive" it...
     WoD and secret world neither one take the RL mythos into account very much.  I ranted I admit it mainly because i'm a fan of WoD as i know many are out there of WoD and don't want to see it get butchered by what has been proven to be a second rate game producer like funcom.
    Most of your criticism is based on misinformation about WoD, Lovecraft and TSW the rest is feeded by your thoughts related to Funcom.
    This post was supposed to be a questinair mostly i was looking for honest opinions from people and some got that others didn't especially those that ragged and didn't give any real feed back or thoughts on weather it will be the same or have the issues that other funcom titles have had.
    Again, your question made no sense at all. TSW has NOTHING  to with WoD lore.
    I ranted a little bit during my post cause i'm sick off all the rip offs and shoddy unfinished mmos that have been released recently i admit that i'm more concerned with funcoms abilitie to acutally produce a game worth playing.
    How can you stay on your high horse and criticize a game company if you start to attack this company using a hand full of misinformation?
    the reason i didn't bring up other mmos besides WoD, starwars, and earthrise is because i was only going after the ones with the most current hype when i made the post. And WoD was a comparision to secret world because its almost exaclty the same in terms of how they are presenting it.
    No they are not.
    And finally to the person that said that secret world has been around longer in concept that WoD um yeah dude go check copyrights on the WoD materials at any bookstore that sales rpg books particularly vampire the darkages and then kick yourself in the head.
     Ok, get your Vampire Masquerade and Darkages books (both great books) and get all vampire stories you can find, get all vampire movies from 1922 to 1985, Dracula (book and movies), Nosferatu, Lost Boys, Fright Night (1 and 2) and you will realize White Wolf is not exacly original.
    Between Nosferatu and Fright Night you will find ALL the original "Vampire Clans"... then you can kick yourself in the head.
    Looking for realy feed back not personal attacks please if you feel like attacking me fine just give some actual feedback in the post as well.
     The only rational feedback, and you should realized that at this point is, WoD and TSW are not related.

Originally posted by zymurgeist

You missed it.
    It's Delta Green.
    Seriously.

I like Delta Burke better. Well, pre-fatass Delta Burke, anyway.

• White_DustWhite_Dust Member Posts: 5

Would it not be better to change your name to 'Anoyingbutcruel'? On the other hand, if you can look in the future, yeah, you must be wise...

If you hate the game so much (can't understand why, afterall, there isnt a game as of yet), why do you troll these forums?  O, wait, you hold a grudge against funcom becouse they made a game that you didn't like.

*mutters* Sad.... Just, sad....

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

To respond to the people that have ragged on me first off let me say yes i do know about WoD and lovecraft i play WoD and obviously know more about it than you do. 

ok, so the time I spent  (aprox 125 hours) running demos in a sanctioned Wolf Pack demo team, the fact I've played WoD since I was in grade 12 (omfg I'm 33 now, wow that's awhile), ran a 75 player VTM LARP (aprox 20 of us were lore hounds, we devoured EVERY WoD book in print and incorporated the lore VERY heavily into the larp game), sure means you know a helluvalot more than I do about WoD based on your assanine opening post. :P

Hmmm, look at the copywrites yourself, if you're posting them as a rebuttal to your nonsense.  VTM first edition was out aprox 2 years before Dark Ages.  Hmmm, how's that shoe feel, you didn't hit your eye did you? :P

edit to add, I plan on playing both games, atleast for a few months after launch for each, then I'll decide which gets my monthly $$ long-term after that (my acct, my wifes acct,  and my 2nd account).  I like the premise for each game (obviously a die hard WoD fan, but also a huge fan of the Lovecraftian mythos, secret society lore, etc.). 

For those looking to make it seem like FC's ripping off a pen and paper rpg, may I point you towards the Witchcraft RPG (hey, it's a fee download on the publisher's website for the core book, and it's full of demons from the nether, wizard and scholar societies seeking to hide/control the Darkness, etc.  Oh and for all you OMF Rippoff theorists, its' also by the publishers of  the Buffy RPG......./gasp!!).  (and no, I'm not proposing it's a rip off either :P)

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
    Originally posted by blackthornn

ok, so the time I spent  (aprox 125 hours) running demos in a sanctioned Wolf Pack demo team, the fact I've played WoD since I was in grade 12 (omfg I'm 33 now, wow that's awhile), ran a 75 player VTM LARP (aprox 20 of us were lore hounds, we devoured EVERY WoD book in print and incorporated the lore VERY heavily into the larp game), sure means you know a helluvalot more than I do about WoD based on your assanine opening post. :P

Hmmm, look at the copywrites yourself, if you're posting them as a rebuttal to your nonsense.  VTM first edition was out aprox 2 years before Dark Ages.  Hmmm, how's that shoe feel, you didn't hit your eye did you? :P

edit to add, I plan on playing both games, atleast for a few months after launch for each, then I'll decide which gets my monthly $$ long-term after that (my acct, my wifes acct,  and my 2nd account).  I like the premise for each game (obviously a die hard WoD fan, but also a huge fan of the Lovecraftian mythos, secret society lore, etc.). 

For those looking to make it seem like FC's ripping off a pen and paper rpg, may I point you towards the Witchcraft RPG (hey, it's a fee download on the publisher's website for the core book, and it's full of demons from the nether, wizard and scholar societies seeking to hide/control the Darkness, etc.  Oh and for all you OMF Rippoff theorists, its' also by the publishers of  the Buffy RPG......./gasp!!).  (and no, I'm not proposing it's a rip off either :P)

Black, Do you play witchcraft?

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615

played it a few times, my 2 main gaming groups prefer wod tho.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.
    Originally posted by White_Dust

Would it not be better to change your name to 'Anoyingbutcruel'? On the other hand, if you can look in the future, yeah, you must be wise...
    If you hate the game so much (can't understand why, afterall, there isnt a game as of yet), why do you troll these forums?  O, wait, you hold a grudge against funcom becouse they made a game that you didn't like.

*mutters* Sad.... Just, sad....

What's the matter with you? You said it's not a rip-off, and I agreed with you.

Also, they made a game I did like. But they rely on the same comedic philosophy with every game:

"Let's launch it, grab the money, and put it on life support while we take years to put in what should have been in at launch. Oh, then we'll make expansions and additional content where every single time we release it, it will be bugged up the ass because we don't feel like actually testing anything and those ignorant players who are paying us good money won't play on test like they should be since we're so nice to let them be our bug testers instead of being fucking professionals ourselves".

And if you tell me either AO or AoC don't fit that description, you're full of it.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

You missed it.
    It's Delta Green.
    Seriously.

Look it up

Good, I love Delta green.

I know of a certain company that ripped Tolkien, Howard and Greenwood off, and they did pretty well...

Lets face it: Few worlds in gaming and particulary MMOs are that fresh.  Ripping off stuff from Lovecraft, Rice, Mark Reinhagen (the guy who made Vampire) and so on is not such a bad idea. It will however put the Norweigans in direct competition with certain Icelandic/Americans.

Anyways, the world do need a good Gothic horror MMO and while a Call of Cthulu MMO would be my favorite these 2 games do have some potential. There is of course only room for one big of them so may best company win.

I am still in favour of World of darkness online but competition is good for us, not bad.

Originally posted by Loke666

You missed it.
    It's Delta Green.
    Seriously.

Look it up

Good, I love Delta green.

I know of a certain company that ripped Tolkien, Howard and Greenwood off, and they did pretty well...

Lets face it: Few worlds in gaming and particulary MMOs are that fresh.  Ripping off stuff from Lovecraft, Rice, Mark Reinhagen (the guy who made Vampire) and so on is not such a bad idea. It will however put the Norweigans in direct competition with certain Icelandic/Americans.

Anyways, the world do need a good Gothic horror MMO and while a Call of Cthulu MMO would be my favorite these 2 games do have some potential. There is of course only room for one big of them so may best company win.

I am still in favour of World of darkness online but competition is good for us, not bad.

Yup. At least they didn't decide to make an X-files MMO. I think the really big IPs actually hurt a game. Just from company track records I'm betting WoD will be the better game but we shall see.

Oh, great. i can hear the number crunchers at EA yelling "Score!!" from here. Why'd ya have to put it in print, dammit?