Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AHHH MY EYES!!!!!11!

ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Nope, not here to bash EVE.  I actually just downloaded the trial last night and got a few hours on it today.

My biggest complaint thus far?  My freakin eyes feel like they're going to pop right out of their sockets from straining so hard to read EVE's tiny text.  I find myself constantly re-positioning myself to get closer to the screen while struggling to remain somewhat comfortable while still being capable of reading what I need to read.

Before anyone says "you can increase the size" please tell me there's some way other than going into settings and choosing a font size of 12.  I did that, almost immediately, and I could barely notice a difference.  I'm running the game at 1680x1050, and right now the microscopic text is making this game practically un-playable.  No, I don't want jumbo-sized either, but I really hope there's a way to fix this that doesn't involve dropping my res down by a significant amount to bump the scale of the text up. I mean, that'd be pretty poor design if you have to sacrifice graphic quality to be able to actually see the text in-game.  I can hardly imagine what it must be like at a higher resolution.

I AM quite interested in seeing more of this game and giving it a solid go on my trial, but as it stands THIS (not controlling my ship, not the learning curve {yet}) is my #1 problem with EVE, and I'm just hunting a fix or solution if anyone has one.

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
Oscar Wilde

Comments

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

change the font size in the options :) sorry had too :P

but you can change the font size of chat to much bigger by hitting the A^ button

• heocatheocat Member UncommonPosts: 178

yup options are hit escape do that option then play with the three settings on the corner of the chat for bigger  and the A^ I played it at 1600 myself had to mess a bit

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Hm.  After straining a bit to actually see the A+ icon, I only found it on the chat window.  It certainly helped for the readability of what folks are saying, but frankly there's so much I need to figure out yet that I don't particularly give a crap what's going on in chat.

In all, I guess what I'm looking for is a way to scaled up everything about EVE's UI.  As it stands, everything is tiny - from icons to the text on them.  The tutorial window (yeah, I can make IT bigger, but not the text) is a pain to read from.  The settings window is hard to read.  The fitting window, character screen, everything in this game is a struggle to even see and I'm already tired of squinting :(

So again I ask; is there any way to scale up the whole damn thing or is this it?  I *could* run lower resolution, but I'd be dropping widescreen and going to a 4:3 to do so since the only lower widescreen res is 1600x900 - not too far from where I am as it is.  And honestly, there's bound to be others out there running higher than 1024x768 that share my issue here.  How have you coped with it?

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180

I don't play Eve, but I just tried a Google search and it seems you are not alone in this complaint. On an up note, it seems CCP is aware of the desire of the community for a scalable UI and are looking into it.

Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

I'm running at the 1680 x 1050 resolution too.  It can be difficult to read a lot of the text on the UI (outside the chat box).  If you don't want to change the resolution you're going to have to live with it and hope you don't go blind.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

you can only encrease the chat font size

UI relly piss me off also  i use cool grey UI and i set menu font to 12

BTW this is your character ?

BestSigEver :P

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587
    Originally posted by cosy

you can only encrease the chat font size
    UI relly piss me off also  i use cool grey UI and i set menu font to 12

BTW this is your character ?

Nope, not mine.

Oddly enough, I ended up going back to the game and trying to drop the resolution to ... well, every other option available.  The odd part was, even after applying a new resolution, the game didn't actually change.  I'd apply it, close the settings window, game would be the same, then go back to settings and rather than the 1280x1024 I'd JUST chosen and applied, it was still 1680x1050.  Never seen that before, in any game.

Anyway, I'm doing my best to cope.  Hope I don't go blind before they come up with a fix >_<  (no, I don't think I can literally go blind)

George Bernard Shaw

Oscar Wilde

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

@ OP yes you get the same font size on all rezolutions

BestSigEver :P

• x_rast_xx_rast_x Member Posts: 745

If you go into your options, under General Settings, set the Font Width to Expanded - will help tons.

Increasing the Context Menu Fontsize will help too but it doesn't affect everything.

• SpoonpottSpoonpott Member Posts: 180
    Originally posted by x_rast_x

If you go into your options, under General Settings, set the Font Width to Expanded - will help tons.
    Increasing the Context Menu Fontsize will help too but it doesn't affect everything.

Hey from Balls :)

The rules of Debate are really simple; once you have to stoop to insults instead of facts, logic, or reason to try and win your argument, you've lost.