Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class roles

Okay so Guardians are the main tanks I assume

Captains & Wardens DPS and OT?

Bards are the main healers?

Runemasters are offhealers & DPS?

Burglars, Rangers, Champions all primary DPS?

Played and enjoyed: EQ1, DAoC, WoW

Played and disliked: Guild Wars, WAR

Currently playing: Nothing

Waiting for: Mortal Online

Comments

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102
    Originally posted by GIANT_WANG

Okay so Guardians are the main tanks I assume
    Captains & Wardens DPS and OT?
    Bards are the main healers?
    Runemasters are offhealers & DPS?
    Burglars, Rangers, Champions all primary DPS?

Guardians = Main tanks

Captains = Buffer who can off tank, off heal and have pretty good dps and cana pet. (jack of all trades)

Wardens = Main tank with good dps. Have alot of self heals and stuff. Very good solo class

Minstrels = Main helaers, decent dps and some CC

Runekeepers = Hybrid, either go DPS or healing

Burglars = Debuffer, CC and starts fellowship manouvers. Decent dps

Hunters = DPS with some CC skills

Champions = AoE melee dps. Good off tank aswell.

Lore master = Crowd controll, debuffs, pets

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

• GIANT_WANGGIANT_WANG Member Posts: 40

thanks!

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

Care full trying to apply the holy trinity to this game, all the classes are hybrids, while there are some "Pure" classes that fit the typical group makeup. Many combination's of classes can basically overlap with the secondary ability (such as healing) to make up for a lack more "pure" class in your group makeup.

Many many MANY group combination's are quite viable, making everyone useful, and removing the need to ask for the traditional roles in the looking for fellowship chat.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I want to correct someone here. Burglar is currently one of the worst dps-ers in the game, so surely not an option as a DPS class.

Sustained DPS classes: Hunters, Champions, RK's, Loremasters

Burst DPS: Minstrel, RK

Capable Main Healing: Minstrel, RK

Secondary Healers: Captains, Burglars (with conj's), Loremasters

Capable Main Tank: Guardian, Warden

Offtanks: Champion, Captain

Messmerizers: Loremasters, Burglars, Hunters, Minstrels

Debuffers: Burglars, Loremasters

Buffers: Captains

Highest Survivability: Burglar, Hunter

REALITY CHECK

• daeandordaeandor Member UncommonPosts: 2,695
    Originally posted by Thillian

I want to correct someone here. Burglar is currently one of the worst dps-ers in the game, so surely not an option as a DPS class.

Sustained DPS classes: Hunters, Champions, RK's, Loremasters
    Burst DPS: Minstrel, RK
    Capable Main Healing: Minstrel, RK
    Secondary Healers: Captains, Burglars (with conj's), Loremasters
    Capable Main Tank: Guardian, Warden
    Offtanks: Champion, Captain
    Messmerizers: Loremasters, Burglars, Hunters, Minstrels
    Debuffers: Burglars, Loremasters
    Buffers: Captains
    Highest Survivability: Burglar, Hunter

I'd like to add a caveat  to a couple:

You say messmerizers are LMs, Burgs, Hunters, and Minstrels.  However, only LM and burg have mez in the traditional mmorpg sense.  Nearly every class has a limited stun (10 seconds or less), and Hunters and minstrels have fear.  Fear is not mez.  Similar effect if done properly, however it is not at all the same in a dungeon where a mob who's fear wears off brings the next group of mobs down the hall.

Now, I would say that LM, Burg, and Hunters have the best overall crowd controls at their disposal when you consider that Hunters have root, fear, and a 10 sec stun (all on timers).  Hunters have the capability to control the largest number of mobs through rain of thorns and crafted multi-traps.  But traps do not stop archers and casters.

Lastly, I am assuming you are saying that Burg and Hunter have best survivability due to their ability to escape via an insta-cast aggro elimination (HIPS) or port (desperate flight).  While I agree that these two skills are very powerful "get out of jail free" cards, they do not make the classes any more survivable than most others in combat.  I'd argue that any Hobbit (with feign death) or minstrel (feign death) is just as survivable, and a hobbit minstrel is even more survivable than any other class.  You'd probably be best to say the squishiest class is a Runekeeper.

• GIANT_WANGGIANT_WANG Member Posts: 40

a bit off topic but does anyone know where I can see the high level armor sets for the different classes?

like as seen here: www.mmorpg.com/photo/8a8dcca2-a968-4d22-a1ef-ab9c57f81dfd

• BesCirgaBesCirga Member Posts: 806

To gain uptain that armour, you have to grind the six different instances in Moria. The Boss drops one coin per run (which you barter into one armour piece). So IF you run the same instance six times with the SAME fellowship, you are certain to gain a barter coin.

Its a lame time-sink system if you ask me. I thought the turbine devs were better than this to be honest. Lotro is becoming too itemized, and there is too much powerful magical items for a low magic world like middle-earth,  but thats another discussion :)

Originally posted by BesCirga

To gain uptain that armour, you have to grind the six different instances in Moria. The Boss drops one coin per run (which you barter into one armour piece). So IF you run the same instance six times with the SAME fellowship, you are certain to gain a barter coin.
    Its a lame time-sink system if you ask me. I thought the turbine devs were better than this to be honest. Lotro is becoming too itemized, and there is too much powerful magical items for a low magic world like middle-earth,  but thats another discussion :)

This is not completely true. Yes the radiance gear is clearly the best gear out there atm, but that doesn't mean there's not tons of other items that you can get much easier and that are not really much weaker. If you're just up for soloing/crafting/small groups or pvmp gameplay, you don't need radiance gear. In addition the difference between a radiance gear and rift set is not that big.

Moria did not really shift lotro towards more gear-based game. As an example I would use my char that had full rift set which I used until level 60, and was replaced by radiance pieces. Which means Rift set level 50 items from lotro vanilla were better than most of the moria new items.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by daeandor

I'd like to add a caveat  to a couple:
    You say messmerizers are LMs, Burgs, Hunters, and Minstrels.  However, only LM and burg have mez in the traditional mmorpg sense.  Nearly every class has a limited stun (10 seconds or less), and Hunters and minstrels have fear.  Fear is not mez.  Similar effect if done properly, however it is not at all the same in a dungeon where a mob who's fear wears off brings the next group of mobs down the hall.
    Now, I would say that LM, Burg, and Hunters have the best overall crowd controls at their disposal when you consider that Hunters have root, fear, and a 10 sec stun (all on timers).  Hunters have the capability to control the largest number of mobs through rain of thorns and crafted multi-traps.  But traps do not stop archers and casters.

Lastly, I am assuming you are saying that Burg and Hunter have best survivability due to their ability to escape via an insta-cast aggro elimination (HIPS) or port (desperate flight).  While I agree that these two skills are very powerful "get out of jail free" cards, they do not make the classes any more survivable than most others in combat.  I'd argue that any Hobbit (with feign death) or minstrel (feign death) is just as survivable, and a hobbit minstrel is even more survivable than any other class.  You'd probably be best to say the squishiest class is a Runekeeper.

I meant messmerizes/rooters/fear-ers ehm. Yeh I keep my opinion that burglar, lm, minstrel and hunter are four classes that are capable of messmerizing or rooting certain mobs to keep them out of combat for as long as needed.

LM can keep stunned anything even 2 mobs at the same time, plus it has aoe stun for undead. Plus it has two root spells (both aoe).

Burglar can keep stunned humanoids

Hunter can trap anything and has aoe root.

Minstrel can fear (which is handy during certain boss fights or places where fear can't bring any adds), and can stun undead for a long time.

Other classes have no messmerize or on very basic level to use it effectively in groups.

Survivability I meant , classes with lowest repairs. I'm dead sure burglars and hunters are the two classes that die very rarely. Burglars of course even more, they survive most of the wipes even in dungeon groups due to hips.

REALITY CHECK

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

I like the radiance mechanic but there should be more options to get differnt kind of gear with radiance. I heard the Turtle raid can drop them aswell so thats good but I hope crafters (maybe with rear drops from resource instances) will be able to make radiance gear, because it do feel like a grind to do all those instances especeially with your second or third character.

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd

Originally posted by Thillian

This is not completely true. Yes the radiance gear is clearly the best gear out there atm, but that doesn't mean there's not tons of other items that you can get much easier and that are not really much weaker. If you're just up for soloing/crafting/small groups or pvmp gameplay, you don't need radiance gear. In addition the difference between a radiance gear and rift set is not that big.

Moria did not really shift lotro towards more gear-based game. As an example I would use my char that had full rift set which I used until level 60, and was replaced by radiance pieces. Which means Rift set level 50 items from lotro vanilla were better than most of the moria new items.

First of all; I didnt say you needed radiance gear. I explained where and how the OP could get that specific armour on the picture he linked.

Secondly; If you want to discuss itemzation in lotro, make a new thread and ill join. My bad though, I brought it up..

Originally posted by Papadam

I like the radiance mechanic but there should be more options to get differnt kind of gear with radiance. I heard the Turtle raid can drop them aswell so thats good but I hope crafters (maybe with rear drops from resource instances) will be able to make radiance gear, because it do feel like a grind to do all those instances especeially with your second or third character.

I agree. But first and foremost, im against these kind of cluster time-sinks. It seems like a cheap and lazy way of creating end-game content. I expect better from turbine... If there was more end-game content in moria I wouldnt have bothered with it, but its our only option! Moria up to 58 is absolutly stunning and alot of great stuff to do, but 58+ is my biggest let-down in lotro since I started in closed beta.