Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some LOTRO DX10 Screenshots

13»

Comments

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by Smikis

lotro must be only game that looks better in screenshots than in actuall game

tbh draw distance just ruins it for me, i can go past ugly models, but when tree/object 50 meters away is already blurred out, and you cant change it to higher distance.. thats just unforgivable

That, is directly proportional to your machine specs, and settings.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by swede2

Uh, Vanguard uses the same technique for grass. Also, Vanguard uses Speedtree. Speedtree are simply billboards that always face the camera for most trees, AND are programmatic generated, the LOTRO trees, are made by hand..

Just sayin..... Its your opinion, and thats fine.

[/b][/quote]

Well considering I have to turn my grass density down to about 2% to match LOTR on high settings, I would say thats a good thing.

Trees in vanguard are fully 3D and are different from which ever side you view them from. Even the smallest bushes are. I dont care how they put them in the game alls I care is they look good from any angle and any distance And every tree is different.

Just asking can you play vanguard every setting maxed on a high rez monitor?

Yes. I was also in beta, and have used the speedtree tool. They look different from each side, because for most trees, all the greenery are billboards that always face the camera. Walk around a tree sometime, and notice each chunk of foliage turn with you, staying at a 90 to you. They are also, generated for the most part.

The performance hit from them was not in the plans for the low system requirements and reduction to the barrier to entry LOTRO was going for.

There is pros and cons to each technique. Please also compare system requirements.I would ask that you please stop confusing your personal opinion, with technical execution. Vanguard uses many, MANY brute force techniques that inflate its system requirements, where LOTRO is an optimized and streamlined, yes, using older tech, to a great degree of quality and refinement that subsequently make it hold up even in comparison with more modern techniques.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975

No nothing wrong with LoTR graphics they just dont look as good in game up close as screenshots make them seem. Pretty easy to go into any game and pick it apart if thats your thing.

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Smikis

lotro must be only game that looks better in screenshots than in actuall game

tbh draw distance just ruins it for me, i can go past ugly models, but when tree/object 50 meters away is already blurred out, and you cant change it to higher distance.. thats just unforgivable

That, is directly proportional to your machine specs, and settings.

You have written that sometimes and I must say that its not true. I myself get nasty blocky mountains that does ruin the view. And thats with my i7 and trifire system. It should be enough but the graphic is plainly not well render when it looks really beautiful within a small radius and the rest looks like crap. The engine is not built to show us beautiful and lush landscapes, its more built for dungeon crawls I do believe  (isnt lotro engine a rebuild of D&D:o?). And isnt LOTRO, and with its lore, built around the journey throu some awsome landscapes?

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005

The old Vanguard vs LOTRO graphics wraith has risen from the dead! Quick, where's Bombadil to chase it back into the Barrow.

Here's the difference I noted, having played both (though only still playing LOTRO).  Vanguard and LOTRO use different texturing techniques (from my understanding). The technique that Vanguard uses allowed the textures on objects to hold up to really, really close scrutiny in my opinion. The technique used in LOTRO on the other hand, if you examine an object or spot really close, the graphic illusion created by the texture breaks down.

Here's the clincher though...one almost NEVER sees the world so close that it mattered.  And certainly not worth the performance hit in Vanguard to make the games look equally beautiful.

And just for fun, here's one snap I posted to this site:

Lovely.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Spiritof55

I've always believed lotro to be a stunningly beautiful game in dx9 or dx10. 
    Here is a game that looks amazing with everything maxed and doesn't require a high end pc to do so.  Funcom should learn how to code from Turbine. 

Coding has nothing to do with it. Turbine's graphics are cheap, years outdated the day their games are released. There's no denying that.

What's impressive is their composition. They know how to place each tree and hill in such a manner that almost any area from any angle looks like a carefully composed painting. That's appropriate for a setting like Arda, which was created by Eru.

Funcom tends to deal with more realistic settings that demand more natural environments, which requires far more technical than compositional care.

Saying that one approach is inherently better than the other is a very subjective judgement.

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • kazmokazmo Member Posts: 715

The graphics in LoTRO are good, without a doubt. Though for me, there was always something off or something I couldn't put my finger on that seemed out of place, not sure.

Though I do know that I was never really fond of the character models, like the armor has an appearance of skin-tight cloth etc.

• OrthelianOrthelian Member UncommonPosts: 1,034
    Originally posted by Papadam

a Vanguard player complaining about LotrOs graphics? This forum is just getting more wierd each day :)

Seriously, that's like an EVE player complaining about WAR's PvP.

Oh, wait....

Favorites: EQEVE | Playing: None. Mostly VR and strategy | Anticipating: CUPantheon
  • JoloJolo Member Posts: 167

Thank you for the awesome pics, sir. Made me really want to play LOTRO again :) well maybe someday i will.

Sweet.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I've played Vanguard and Lotro....I like both. I just play Lotro now....I like it best of the two. If lotro had the VG diplomacy and crafting...it would be perfect. Still...Lotro crafting is pretty good. That being said...I have stared a trees in RL ...very few times. I usually take them in as an element of the whole landscape. If I get that feeling in a game ...like Lotro ..that's fine. I don't want photo realism in a game. The processes of the mind and natural sight..generally don't see everything in crisp detail..like a photo...but in combinations of clarity and blur..like an impressionist painting.  So...I don't stand and stare at virtual trees or rate the blockiness of a mountain that is supposed to be miles in the distance  to determine whether I like a game or not. If the environment feels and looks somewhat natural..as a whole... and is more fun to play..then it wins.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754

LoTRO's graphics arent enough to salvage the boring gameplay and combat......

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Theocritus

yeah but it sure enhances the great gameplay and exciting combat of LoTRO

I miss DAoC

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Jackdog

Originally posted by Theocritus

yeah but it sure enhances the great gameplay and exciting combat of LoTRO

lotro graphics is most overated thing since macdonalds..

animations are terrible, proportions are terrible, drawn distance is worst in mmorpg industry

lotro is probably only game ever, that looks better in screenshots than in actuall game..

• EthianEthian Member Posts: 1,216

LOL! LOTRO fanboys unite!!

I wish the game well but graphics alone dont make a great game. From what I'm looking at the characters seriously arnt up to par with the world surrounding them.

"I play Tera for the gameplay"

DX9, not even DX10

DX10

I would watch them in the full size, not the embed player.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122

Why must every thread on this site devolve into "your game sucks"/"my game rules" beatdowns?  Who the frak cares?  If you don't like a game, you don't play it, right?  Why do people feel the need to tell people who like something that they're wrong?  Or even stupid?  Why must your game be better than my game? 

Seriously, folks, STFU.

Originally posted by Feydaway

Why must every thread on this site devolve into "your game sucks"/"my game rules" beatdowns?  Who the frak cares?  If you don't like a game, you don't play it, right?  Why do people feel the need to tell people who like something that they're wrong?  Or even stupid?  Why must your game be better than my game? 
    Seriously, folks, STFU.

I don't know. we were just admiring the art of LOTRO.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• krityckrityc Member UncommonPosts: 175

No denying the best graphics of any mmo.  Many people say other wise, but only because the armor & character detail doesn't make your avatar look like a super power ranger.

I've always been amazed with Turbines water effects.  Go all the way back to Asherons Call 2 and it has better water graphics then any game expect LOTRO which is made by Turbine.

[(T+G=W)=Gr*Nf]-S=FoF
    T=Time G=Gear W=Win Gr=Grind Nf=NoFun S=Skill FoF=FullofFail

"Hey, I'll tell you what. You can get a good look at a butcher's azz by sticking your head up there. But, wouldn't you rather to take his word for it?" - Tommy Boy

• FeydawayFeydaway Member Posts: 122
    Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Originally posted by Feydaway

Seriously, folks, STFU.

I don't know. we were just admiring the art of LOTRO.

And it's great art.  Seriously, between the graphics and the awesome music/ambient sound, LOTRO is one of the more immersive MMO's out there.

Originally posted by krityc

No denying the best graphics of any mmo.  Many people say other wise, but only because the armor & character detail doesn't make your avatar look like a super power ranger.
    I've always been amazed with Turbines water effects.  Go all the way back to Asherons Call 2 and it has better water graphics then any game expect LOTRO which is made by Turbine.

LOTRO is built on the AC2 engine, with updates of course.

----------

How are you?" -Me