Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some LOTRO DX10 Screenshots

Comments

• sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Spiritof55

I've always believed lotro to be a stunningly beautiful game in dx9 or dx10. 
    Here is a game that looks amazing with everything maxed and doesn't require a high end pc to do so.  Funcom should learn how to code from Turbine.

Yeah either in DX9 or DX10 always nice :P

I play in DX10 and the graphics are beautiful

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Originally posted by swede2

They look nice but I found that LoTR graphics only look good from a distance , once you get close to things they look horrible.

I haven't noticed that, but I see that you play vanguard, and I can tell you that the characters there look like lumps of wax.

• sarahstewartsarahstewart Member Posts: 68
    Originally posted by Emeraq

They look nice but I found that LoTR graphics only look good from a distance , once you get close to things they look horrible.

I haven't noticed that, but I see that you play vanguard, and I can tell you that the characters there look like lumps of wax.

lol yeah vanguard graphics are nothing compared to lotro's, I do slighty agree with you swede2 some of the details are not very good at close range

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by sarahstewart

lol yeah vanguard graphics are nothing compared to lotro's, I do slighty agree with you swede2 some of the details are not very good at close range

minimum system requirement for LotRO. They are:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 1.8Ghz or equivalent

Video: 64MB NVIDIA GeForce 3 or ATI Radeon 8500

DirectX: DirectX 9.0c

RAM: 512 MB

Disk Space: 7 GB available

Internet: 56kbps Modem

Optical Drive: 2x DVD-ROM

Here are the recommended system requirements:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8Ghz or equivalent

Video: 128 MB NVIDIA GeForce FX 6800 or ATI Radeon X850

DirectX: DirectX 9.0c

RAM: 1 GB

Disk Space: 10 GB available

Internet: Broadband DSL / Cable

Optical Drive: 2x DVD-ROM

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

Hawt!

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975

Originally posted by swede2 They look nice but I found that LoTR graphics only look good from a distance , once you get close to things they look horrible.

I play vanguard because its my type of game. I also play to have fun. I dont play games for the graphics.
    You never noticed that every tree, flower,shrub in LoTR is a sprite and your telling me vanguards characters look like lumps of wax. I suggest maybe getting a better monitor or get your eyes checked, I think you might need glasses.

You never noticed that every tree, flower,shrub in LoTR is a sprite

No, they are not. Also, this conversation is pointless, each has thier own graphical style and are very pretty in their own right. But for the system requirements, LOTRO is simply more capable, while vanguard went for more "Cutting edge" requirements.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

Such a nice looking game in both dx9 and dx10.  One of the few games that does atmosphere right. 

• alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by Shastra

Is it just me or someone else tired of same water, sky, water and sky screenhots? every screen looks the same, people capture almost same locations in every screenshot. How about some variety?

These are DX9, clicking on them will show you the big ones:

Hey am not bashing LoTR. Am not saying vanguard is better. Just said the screenshots from LoTR are always from a distance and they do look awesome. But up close things just dont look so good.
    Theres nothing wrong with it, just the way it is.

But up close things just dont look so good.

I disagree with that, but we would just be rehashing a conversation we already had.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• blackthornnblackthornn Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by Daffid011

Such a nice looking game in both dx9 and dx10.  One of the few games that does atmosphere right. 

atmosphere in lotro is great, but the toons look aweful (imo).  I personally find they all look too snooty and like they sat on something and it got stuck.....head high, nose in the air, tight pinched facial expression. 

Just my personal opinion on the graphics and why I can't stand to play it, kinda like how the pastel colors in WoW tend to give me migraines and makes my eyes feel like they're bleeding..that and the way too cartoony popeye forearms/hands.

Grouping in Old school mmo's: meeting someone at the bar and chatting, getting to know them before jumping into bed.  Current mmo's grouping: tinder.  swipe, hookup, hope you don't get herpes, never see them again.

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

No, they are not. Also, this conversation is pointless, each has thier own graphical style and are very pretty in their own right. But for the system requirements, LOTRO is simply more capable, while vanguard went for more "Cutting edge" requirements.
    Than post me a close up of a tree in LoTR that has 3D foliage. I only tred the trail and I started in the dwarfs zone and the graphics where bad to say the least. I did a little exploring around that area and everything was sprits Like I said they looked like shit unless you had a liitle distance and the right angle. I got as far as bree and the dwarfs hall.
    The only reason I checked it out was because I was sick of people posting on the vanguard forums about how much better LoTR graphics where .So I went around and armed myself with screens of LoTR. Ones that arent staged to make the game look better than it really is. Anyways never did post any but there still on my harddrive.
  • alakramalakram Member UncommonPosts: 2,301
    Originally posted by blackthornn

atmosphere in lotro is great, but the toons look aweful (imo).  I personally find they all look too snooty and like they sat on something and it got stuck.....head high, nose in the air, tight pinched facial expression. 

Just my personal opinion on the graphics and why I can't stand to play it, kinda like how the pastel colors in WoW tend to give me migraines and makes my eyes feel like they're bleeding..that and the way too cartoony popeye forearms/hands.

The best characters in my opinion are the EQ2 ones. They look really awesome. About the lotro characters, I see a big difference in quality between the Player characters and the non player characters.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

No i ment more like this.You know  screens that arent taking at exactly the right angle to hide all the 2D sprites .

This field of flower looks great from the right angle. 

Honestly I've seen better trees in games that were 10 years old.  It 's a choice Turbine made to get better performance out of the game. I think it was a smart decision because it allows more lower end computers to run the game.  It doesn't change the fact that LOTR graphics don't stand up to close scrutiny.  They've got to be viewed from a distance and from the right angle.  Without a doubt LOTR screens are some of the best I have seen but only if they are taken from a distance and the angles are right. 

No i ment more like this.You know  screens that arent taking at exactly the right angle to hide all the 2D sprites .

This field of flower looks great from the right angle. 

Honestly I've seen better trees in games that were 10 years old.  It 's a choice Turbine made to get better performance out of the game. I think it was a smart decision because it allows more lower end computers to run the game.  It doesn't change the fact that LOTR graphics don't stand up to close scrutiny.  They've got to be viewed from a distance and from the right angle.  Without a doubt LOTR screens are some of the best I have seen but only if they are taken from a distance and the angles are right. 

Uh, Vanguard uses the same technique for grass. Also, Vanguard uses Speedtree. Speedtree are simply billboards that always face the camera for most trees, AND are programmatic generated, the LOTRO trees, are made by hand..

Just sayin..... Its your opinion, and thats fine.

----------

How are you?" -Me

Originally posted by Mrbloodworth

Than post me a close up of a tree in LoTR that has 3D foliage.

I will do that. You are still using the wrong term, technically, LOTRO trees ARE 3d, where vanguards use more sprite/billboard than 3d mesh.

You even posted some yourself, that snow covered tree, yeah...each branch is 3d..look at the snow.

----------

How are you?" -Me

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by blackthornn

The character models are good, not great.  They do a pretty good job of keeping pace with the rest of the worlds atmosphere while not detracting from the game.  They don't look out of place and they have a more realistic look than most games that aim for ultra high realistic looks.  IMHO of course. 

Call it what you want still looks like crap

Uh, Vanguard uses the same technique for grass. Also, Vanguard uses Speedtree. Speedtree are simply billboards that always face the camera for most trees, AND are programmatic generated, the LOTRO trees, are made by hand..

Just sayin..... Its your opinion, and thats fine.
     [/b][/quote]
    Well considering I have to turn my grass density down to about 2% to match LOTR on high settings, I would say thats a good thing.
    Trees in vanguard are fully 3D and are different from which ever side you view them from. Even the smallest bushes are. I dont care how they put them in the game alls I care is they look good from any angle and any distance And every tree is different.
    Just asking can you play vanguard every setting maxed on a high rez monitor?

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045

lotro must be only game that looks better in screenshots than in actuall game

tbh draw distance just ruins it for me, i can go past ugly models, but when tree/object 50 meters away is already blurred out, and you cant change it to higher distance.. thats just unforgivable

[quote][i]Originally posted by Smikis[/i] [b]lotro must be only game that looks better in screenshots than in actuall game   tbh draw distance just ruins it for me, i can go past ugly models, but when tree/object 50 meters away is already blurred out, and you cant change it to higher distance.. thats just unforgivable [/b][/quote]

You mean like this screen

Just one more step lol

• PapadamPapadam Member Posts: 2,102

a Vanguard player complaining about LotrOs graphics? This forum is just getting more wierd each day :)

If WoW = The Beatles
    and WAR = Led Zeppelin
    Then LotrO = Pink Floyd