Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The laughs that are brought upon by people assuming about a game that isnt passed the idea stage.

akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

I look thru the lists of people who are making illogical assumptions about Star Wars the Old Republic and how its going to be and I laugh. I laugh because you people are taking the tiny tidbits that BioWare is releasing and making the wrong assumptions. BioWare has only released 1 class and yet someone has already stated that with this little bit of info he knows for a fact that its going to be a solo style of playing. Another thread started by another person has already pegged SWtOR as a WoW clone, umm WoW and SWtOR arent even in the same genre of MMO's. WoW is Fantasy and SWtOR is SciFi, the closest games to SWtOR are SWG, Taikodom, Jumpgate, and EVE. Please people give BioWare a chance to give you more information on the game before you start jumping the gun.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Comments

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566
    Originally posted by akiira69

I look thru the lists of people who are making illogical assumptions about Star Wars the Old Republic and how its going to be and I laugh. I laugh because you people are taking the tiny tidbits that BioWare is releasing and making the wrong assumptions. BioWare has only released 1 class and yet someone has already stated that with this little bit of info he knows for a fact that its going to be a solo style of playing. Another thread started by another person has already pegged SWtOR as a WoW clone, umm WoW and SWtOR arent even in the same genre of MMO's. WoW is Fantasy and SWtOR is SciFi, the closest games to SWtOR are SWG, Taikodom, Jumpgate, and EVE. Please people give BioWare a chance to give you more information on the game before you start jumping the gun.

EVE, huh? Well, since we are talking false assumptions ... that was a great one, mate!

Personally I think it will be more like Lotro + the danger of another faction.

But I suppose it DOES demand a lot from one's imagination to replace a mount with a landspeeder, the pony express with intergalactic traveling options and to have the gameworld spread out over multiple planets.

p.s. only one class being released wasn't the info which makes people think this will be focussed a little more on single player experience than some of the other games out there. Bioware rerpeatedly saying stuff about this was. Stuff like; epic, personal storylines, npc henchmen and some instances being intended for single players, if I recall correctly.

• MongoMoonMongoMoon Member Posts: 7

I hope it's somewhat the same style as Conan's single player parts only with more inpact from the player... more bioware :D

• singsofdeathsingsofdeath Member UncommonPosts: 1,812

1) The game is WAY past the idea-stage. You can't be in the idea-stage and have a working Alpha or even close to Beta Version of the game.

2) The game -IS- focused on story -and- is going to give you a lot of possibilities to solo. It will be focused on you as a player and your experience in the game world.

Apart fromthat, I can somewhat agree.

What I find hilarious is that people seem to automatically assume that if a game involves you in a personal storyline and gives you the ability to play by yourself for many things in the game, that automatically means everyone will lose the ability to chat with each other and have fun together.

There'll be loads of people who might be complete loners. Simple fact. There'll also be loads of people who are not loners and who are fun to be with. I already know a decent chunk of people from the Forums with which it will certainly be fun to play.

As for assuming all the rest....

Here's one BIG cheer to BioWare for not buckling to the ravaging lunatics who constantly demand new info and if they don't get it, start making ludicrous claims about the game.

People will always bitch and whine. So as long as BW does not care about them and does their thing, I'm optimistic.

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681
    Originally posted by akiira69

Frustrating as it is, those that are waiting on a game that is light on info only have speculation as their main means of discussion.

I joined a SWG clan about 6 months before the game went live, I joined early becuase I wanted to build up a good rapport with the other members and to be able to enter the game as prepared as I could be.

Info at first was very light on the ground and as a result we talked about "What if" alot of the time, we had no solid facts to base our discussions on but at least we as a community where still communicating with each other and keeping our enthusiasm alive.

However it can be taken too far and fiction suddenly becomes solid facts in some ppls eyes, so long as those posting and reading understand that it's purely speculation and not based on anything solid then all should be well, trouble only starts when ppl take that speculation and treat it as fact and then blow their tops at whoever posted it, it happens all too often on many fansites.

So I say just live and let live, let ppl speculate but if it bothers you that much just breeze over those posts if your solely interested in the "Facts", however don't dismiss those that enjoy to talk about the "What if's", however sometimes those "What if's" are a little too much off the wall to not comment on =).

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

I say EVE not as the style of game play but because it to is a SciFi game. People are compairing SWtOR to WoW just on the fact that WoW and SWtOR are both MMO's. Besides I know I cant compare EVE's game play to SWtOR's game play because there is no game play for SWtOR. Id have a better chance of comparing a republican to a independent.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Originally posted by singsofdeath

1) The game is WAY past the idea-stage. You can't be in the idea-stage and have a working Alpha or even close to Beta Version of the game.

2) The game -IS- focused on story -and- is going to give you a lot of possibilities to solo. It will be focused on you as a player and your experience in the game world.

Apart fromthat, I can somewhat agree.

What I find hilarious is that people seem to automatically assume that if a game involves you in a personal storyline and gives you the ability to play by yourself for many things in the game, that automatically means everyone will lose the ability to chat with each other and have fun together.

There'll be loads of people who might be complete loners. Simple fact. There'll also be loads of people who are not loners and who are fun to be with. I already know a decent chunk of people from the Forums with which it will certainly be fun to play.

As for assuming all the rest....

Here's one BIG cheer to BioWare for not buckling to the ravaging lunatics who constantly demand new info and if they don't get it, start making ludicrous claims about the game.

People will always bitch and whine. So as long as BW does not care about them and does their thing, I'm optimistic.

I call it the idea stage till they have all the class info up plus some of the skill info up. so that way people know what they should look forward to. but other than that I agree with what you said. kudos to BW for maintaining the secrets of what they are producing

• demalusdemalus Member Posts: 401

They have said far more than enough for us to know what sort of experience is in store for us.

You are simply ignoring everything they have said.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by demalus

They have said far more than enough for us to know what sort of experience is in store for us.

You are simply ignoring everything they have said.

Aye...

I agree with Dem here. IMO that is why the SWG folks are frantic to change things. If they were to have any type of chance to get any type of change, in their favor, it better come soon. And I mean REAL soon. 

Once it hits beta they are gonna be forever locked out...which IMO they already are....but they are holding onto hope.

The last of that hope will erode in the coming weeks, and we will see the anger posts ramp up. I expect they will rag this game harder than wow, even if it proves to be the best Pve game with PvP battleground/realm action around.

It will all be based upon the fact their gaming style wasnt included, as they feel they are "owed" a SWG 2. Which they arent, but we arent dealing with a "down to earth" player base. Thus the rules on how a normal person would act dont necessarily apply.

I think LA learned his lesson though, and doesnt wanna encourage these folks to play. They will be interacting with his intended gamer base. And no one,other than them/fellow sandboxers, wants to hear about SWG. That is why when they bring it up on the forums, it is like the Chinese Water Torture to others...cause we have heard it ad nauseam the past 3+ yrs. Could you imagine being subjected to that chit in OOC channel for the next 5ish or more yrs? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!  heh :)

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

I was suprised when LA sold complete control over SWG to SOE. If it were up to me id yank the license for SWG out from underneath SOE's feat. they have done nothing but ruin the game sence CU came out and the practically killed it with the NGE(all in the name of balance, how do you balance a game where the most powerful class out is the Jedi and you make it so that everyone can be a jedi). I actually like the way bioware is releasing info on SWtOR their practically hanging the carrot close enough for us to smell it but far enough out that we just cant grab it.

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

Development of this game started at least 3 years ago. Closed beta will start in 2009 most likely and there is even a slim  chance of a Q4 2009 release.