Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Drizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzt

HubabubaHubabuba Member Posts: 229

Speaking of names....

Anybody want to take bets on how many variations of Lord of the Ring names you see the first day of EQ2 release?  Or Ragnarok, Drizzt, Merlin, Conan, Terminator, Devistator, oh the list goes on for days.

I don't get those people.  A RPG is about taking on a new identity and escaping the real world to have some fun in a virtual world.  Why take on the name of a character that already exists?  Why not show a drop of creativity and come up with your own name, your own character?  I really don't get these people, what are they thinking?

Hrm.... Merlin is already taken, I'll use Merliin, crap, thats already taken, I'll use xMerlinx, grr, what about Merlliinn?  No, what about, xXxMerlliiiinnxXxx, woot, now i'm leet, I'm the all powerful xXxMerlliiinnxXxx!!

Comments

• ColdmeatColdmeat Member UncommonPosts: 3,407

There's a Raystlyn in beta. I want to say I saw some variation on Drizt, but I could be wrong.

I figure anyone picking names like those deserve the stigma that omes with it. All the people I know look down on them, regardless of how good a player they may be, and I imagine there are plenty of others that do as well.

• VineyardVineyard Member Posts: 180
    In EQ I usualy found it fun to mess with those people. 95% of the time they had no real knowledge about the character they stole the name from. Which made it even funner to mess with them. Alot of the people on my server did the same thing. Needless to say, after awhile people learned not to do it. The way I see it, if ones chooses to use (and I use the term ,Use, lightly ) a name that is in the popular vernacular, well geeks that know all the fantasy books vernacular, they definately deserve the stigma.

• IowaYetiIowaYeti Member Posts: 468
    I agree with you 3, 100%, not to mention I have met Bob (R.A. Salvatore) IRL. I have 7 Drizzt books personally autographed, and own every R.A. book made, except a Tarzan one.  lol  I have made names (over the years) that could possibly be offspring like (i.e. Rugar "as son of Wulfgar") but NEVER used a copyrighted name or version of same... ever. It's rude, and I have spoke to him personally about this very subject. I won't presume to answer for him, find out his current e-mail addy and ask him yourself.  image btw, he's built more like Wulfgar IRL... "thick"  image

~Yeti

...living up to the standard of typing with "twinkie fingers" one post at a time. lol 8-/

~Yeti

I cannot tell you, IowaYeti, how jealous I am that you have met Salvatore. I am a huge fan of his.I read in an interview with him recently that when he played EQ he used to find it hilarious when he would come across people named after his characters. He was playing a dwarf, if I remember right, and he came across a guy named Bruenor. He followed him around calling him, "My King!"...very funny.

He is such a cool person, and my favorite author, which he was way before I had the honor of meeting him IRL. I first met him at Gen-Con around 10 years ago. I have some nice pics with him.  image

~Yeti

...living up to the standard of typing with "twinkie fingers" one post at a time. lol 8-/

~Yeti

You do realize IowaYeti that I have to hate you now,(kidding). In the fantasy genre he is my favorite. I cannot say my all time favorite though as I am an avid reader and that sort of notoriety usualy goes to people like Neitzche, Tolstoi, Klimpt. While Drizzt , Cadderly and the like are amazing characters they fall a bit short of "Uber Mench". From your last post you said he was a big guy, comparativel to Wulfgar if I recall accurately. I would not of thought him that big. From the images I have seen he looked like an average size guy. Any other info you could provide on him would be much appreciated as I love getting a sense of the person behind the stories.

Well, he is not tall like WUlfgar (my favorite character) but he is very muscular (definitely from working out) When I saw his at Gen-Con he had very long black hair, pulled back in a pony tail, and wore a reddish collared and short sleeved shirt. I was in a Question & Answer with him and several other excellent writers (i.e. Ed Greenwood, Troy Denning, and a couple others). He was very cool, as they all were (although Ed is kinda off of his rocker lol), but Bob was the focus of my attention. I will tell you a cool story if you would like... let me know....  image

~Yeti

~Yeti

Yes, most definately, I would love to hear, er read it rather. Do tell.

WARNING long post read at your own leisure...

OK, well this story if from one of the years I went to Gen-Con (and the same year previously mentioned). My best bro of 20+ yrs now (who also has rp'ed with me for 15+ yrs) were waiting in line to get Bob's autograph, when a series of cool things happened. This could be really long, but I will try to shorten it, so forgive the length. First off, as we were waiting in line for Bob, the hallway was completed blocked off. There were many famous people in the merchant areas at this time and a few other signings going on as well, for example Adrian Paul was in the cubicle next to us as well. This was 1993 or 1994 year or close to it, it was after Seige had been released and was still only in Hardback. So, that was the book I took to get autographed, it being the most current work. To take the story away from Bob for just a second, I had the single most "awe struck" fan meeting while in this very line. My best bro had to use the rest room, so he handed me his backpack & book to get autographed by Bob (in case he did not reappear in time- the lines were MAD as you can imagine)  and he exited the line. As I was standing there, both hands full (multiple books, backpacks, cameras, etc) I saw this group of very huge men coming through the crowd, right at me, the crowd was parting like the red sea "pun intended" for the men all looked like pro football p[layers who all had on very "tight" red tee-shirts lol. People were shuffling as best they could to get out of the muscle bound boys moved in closer. As I stood there, not being very small myself 6'0'' 220lbs 34 waiste 19 1/2 in neck (at that time), the red moved c loser to me. I was NOT moving and potentionally losing my place in R.A.'s line (again, my favorite Fantasy Author!). The men came right up to me, I decided to side step, although holding my ground, but not wanting them to stomp a mud hople in me  lol. As I did, they kind of opened up a lil bit, to get through the tight squeeze, and I came face to face with the person they were provising security for..... big pause.. Mark Hammill. I had just seen him in a Q & A right before (he was promoting the Batman Animated Series, since he was doing the voice of the Joker at that time. I know many famous people personally, through connections, but ONLy this once was I completely and utterly "tongue tied". As "Luke" looked at me and said "Hello", as they kept moving by, all I could muster was one lil syllable, probaly barely even noticed... "Hi". And off Mark and the group went, they line reformed, luckily I had not lost my spot, and shortly theeafter my friend returned. He looked at me, still in a daze, and he simply said "What?", knowing I am never at a loss for words but was VERY QUIET. lol (getting very excited just remembering this set of events. I replied "Luke Skywalker just said hi to me", to which he replied something like "Shutup!" since we both LIVE for Star Wars. ANyways, to get on to the best part of the story I will make a second post, I hope this isn't cut short, since I have never posted here this long.. stay tuned hehe I hope you like this so far...

~Yeti

~Yeti

Part II:

OK, we are moving closer to R.A. now, and I am going nuts, because I see him in person through the crowd and know I will be in the Q&A later with him personally. (fyi, if anything is out of order, I apologize it was a decade ago and my blood pressurte is through tyhe roof just typing this hehe!)

OK, when I get to Bob I am nervous as heck, and he and I start talking. I do not r emember the little things because I had 1 single thing on my mind at this time. All true R.A./Drizzt fans will understand this next section, because at this time chronologically, we al;l had heard rumors of Wulfgar or Zaknafein returning, and after the long delay and legal issues with TSR we were FREAKIN' OUT! SO, I asking him. "I have to ask you one thing, I heard you might be bringing a character back in the next novel?" and here was his response.... btw I wish I NEVER would have asked, because I went totally INSANE until the day I got the book!  hehe He said, aqnd I QUOTE, "Wulfgar or Zaknafein, Wulfgar or Zaknafein, Wulfgar or Zaknafein... take your pick one of them is returning" OK, at this point I was completely freraking out, because I had loved the storyline with Zak, but totally was in love with Wulfgar at the same time. I guess the main reason I love Bob for Fantasy is his in depth characters, his amazingly huge and highly detailed battle sequences, and I have a love/hate relationship with his "killing off" of characters of which I asked him p[ersonally in the Q&A about. I told him I used to bite my nails, as I would read an entire novel in one setting, to the point my fingertips would bleed. He laughed, as did the entire room of 50 ppl or so, and answered by saying "Well, at this point, the characters are completely evolved and they write themselves." Silly, but a cool author response. hehe well I have truly taken a ton of space in this thread, not 100% in ref to Drizzt, but at least in ref to his creater.  I hope you all enjoyed this. It was my pleasure to share this awesome memory with you all. With that, maybe I will re-read the books sooner than I had expected, I mean, I DO have 6 weeks for EQ II's release to burn  lol  All my best, ~Yeti  image

~Yeti

~Yeti

Very cool story man. I loved the, "Wulfgar or Zaknafien?" part. I right now am dying for the next book, "The Two Blades" to come out, should be any day now. I reread through some of the books whenever I get a chance. Often, I find myself returning to the Cleric Quintet series. I just love the story and the characters. I absolutely loved it when Drizzt, Regis and the group went to see Cadderly at Spirit Soaring. And who doesnt love Ivan and Pikel? I may even make a Dwarf Dru...um, my mistake, Doo-Dad.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

I read it.

I wouldn't mind meeting Mark Hamill.

A World of Warcraft Guild

ICQ - 1229876

What will he do next?
    yeah the silly bearded gnomes lol

~Yeti

~Yeti

I love the pharse he coined, and I use it in RP'ing a lot... "Me brudder" hehe I just got the Clerical Quintet in a hardback version, all 5 in one book. Looking forward to re-reading it after MAN MANY years myself.  image

~Yeti

~Yeti

Not to steal Yeti's spotlight, but I've now found a drizzt, and a raist in game. Raystlyn is still in possession of his name, as well.

I'm curious to see if and when they lose them, as I'm certain someone has reported the names, giving the general disdain for people with names like that.

Cold, no worries, I need no spotlight, nor does anything anyone says truly "effect me" in a negative way. I am simply here to have fun, enlighten, learn, and share with those who wish to. Otherwise, it's all online nonsense.  image

~Yeti

~Yeti

Well, in that case, I will now perform a stylish rendition of the Monkey Dance.

weee!

lol (claps for the online monkey) image

~Yeti

~Yeti

::::31::

At least I can go to my destiny knowing I provided amusement, or perhaps bemusement is a better fit, for the huddled masses here at MMORPG.com

on the contrary, your posts are never confusing, and usually consistant, to one set of beliefs, from what I have seen.  image

~Yeti

~Yeti