Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting addicted to EvE...

SimmusSimmus Member Posts: 222

Hi,

i recently quit several mmo (lvl games) to play this game,

i dont know why,i like this game alot,make me want to not play any lvl game at all, it

must be the sense of freedom and skills based that make me happy.:)

anyone feeling this? lets share your impressions!

Comments

• ZykeZyke Member Posts: 335

Since I started playing EvE in 2004 I haven't been able to play any other level-based game since for more than a month without getting massively bored. I keep going back to EvE no matter what else I try to get into.

• LordmonkusLordmonkus Member Posts: 808

Everyone who "gets" Eve feels this way

• joeybootsjoeyboots Member UncommonPosts: 628
    Originally posted by Lordmonkus

Everyone who "gets" Eve feels this way

• RitexRitex Member Posts: 24

I just started EVE a couple of days ago and i have'nt been addicted to mmo like this in a long long time. 

• EschiavaEschiava Member Posts: 485

I had not finished the tutorial when I knew that EVE would be a serious time sync for me.  That was a looong time ago, like 2 1/2 years.  And, except for a time when my computer would not handle the type of PvP engagements I was getting into, I quit 'til I upgraded my computer, but other than that I have played constantly and haven't been bored yet!

Hello, my name is Eschi, and I am an EVE addict.

• DuviousDuvious Member Posts: 116
    Originally posted by Ritex

I just started EVE a couple of days ago and i have'nt been addicted to mmo like this in a long long time. 

that is just the beginning.  once you figure out the complexity of ship fitting (or the complexity becomes so easy it's 2nd nature), size and scope of skills, specializations, the market, pvp, etc.  you realize how much huge and deep this game is and it takes you to a whole other level of intrigue.  you will be more enthralled as the months pass, whereas in other games you may have it figured out pretty much 1-3 months in.  with this game you peel back the layers, as you go deeper and deeper each layer just makes it that much better.  you think you're addicted now........talk to me in six months.

• zantaxzantax Member Posts: 254

You know I was addicted to EVE for about 3 months at a time when I first picked it up.  I keep going back and it grabs me for 2-3 months again and again.  The skill system is interesting but I find it the downfall of the game to be truthful.  You don't have to play to increase them, so why even have them?  I don't know I liked games like AC and SWG where you had to do something to increase your skills, not just log on for 2 minutes every month to train up the next skill.  Honestly a person could say he is addicted to EVE but never play for 6 months, only change skills.  Sorry I like Eve and i think it trys to be very different and it is sucessful in that, but as a game I find it a bit to bland for my tastes.  That being said I also am still playing it for awhile, but I am on a month break from it so skills train up.

• Gokus-aznGokus-azn Member Posts: 5

Please delete.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

Yeah. Why log in?

I can make ISK without loging in. I can PVP and have fun without loging in. I can even do missions, mine, manufactur, go ratting, gate camping, etc, etc, etc... all without loging in. Oh wait...

Skills are a small part of the game

If you feel that those things are boring, all the things that make up this game, then why are you playing?

• PatchDayPatchDay Member Posts: 1,641
    Originally posted by zantax

You know I was addicted to EVE for about 3 months at a time when I first picked it up.  I keep going back and it grabs me for 2-3 months again and again.  The skill system is interesting but I find it the downfall of the game to be truthful.  You don't have to play to increase them, so why even have them?  I don't know I liked games like AC and SWG where you had to do something to increase your skills, not just log on for 2 minutes every month to train up the next skill.  Honestly a person could say he is addicted to EVE but never play for 6 months, only change skills.  Sorry I like Eve and i think it trys to be very different and it is sucessful in that, but as a game I find it a bit to bland for my tastes.  That being said I also am still playing it for awhile, but I am on a month break from it so skills train up.

You have to forget about other MMOs when you play EVE. Just like wash away what you have done before. In time, you'll realize the advantages of it. I dont feel bad taking time out to help a buddy in EVE cause I earn XP no matter what. So even if its something not to my personal gain I'm ok.

I dont mind doing PVP and defending space because I still earn XP

I dont mind just logging in and chatting with corpmates because I still earn XP

If I hate something in EVE, I just dont do it. In other games, cant speak for SWG, but other games you flock to an activity to maximize your XP. Not so in EVE

Also, over the long haul, surely EVE has to surpass SWG? On a game design level, when you force players to limit their builds you just end up with min/max. Here in EVE, we dont suffer that we always evolve there is no end

Alas, I cannot talk about swg since I never played  its gone anyway eve outlasted soe/sony

• X-PorterX-Porter Member Posts: 229

You know, in pretty much every MMO I've played I've always played a crafter of some kind. Most of my characters were something like,"I'm a Weaponsmith and Trader. Also, I'm a Cleric on the side".

Actually, having typed that I realize that most of my AD&D characters were like that. Damn you David Eddings! Why did I always have to buy up trade goods to sell in the next town?!

*Ahem* Anyways...my original point was crafting and marketeering. I had some success with this in EQOA. More in FFXI moving items from city to city and working the Auction House. Not as much in WoW (Yes, Boooo. I know).

Long story longer, EVE is the only game I've found that gives me the kind of freedom to play the way I want. Plus, I'm a big sci-fi spaceship nerd.

And as far as the Skill System goes. I'm really glad I don't have to 'swing my staff at dozens of boars to raise my staff skill'. I can train my market skills while I run missions. I can train my missile skills while I mine. How dull would it be to have to raise your manufacturing skills by churning out piles of crap modules?

I have a problem. I'm an EVEaholic. But you'll have to pry it FROM MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

• RitexRitex Member Posts: 24

I think the skill system is perfect because it gives you time to live your life. Like right now im at work from 3-10 and i have a 6 and a half hour skill que up right now. Now i once was a SWG addict and it felt like a grind getting those skill trees up most people would sit on dantooine and spam LFG HUNTING PARTY. After awhile it got boring and the whole soe ruining the game. But now i have eve and its filled that little void that i had because no mmo has made me so enthralled by it. All i need now is a corp to be a part of and i will stay with this game till it dies.

• DuviousDuvious Member Posts: 116

I think the skill system is perfect because it gives you time to live your life.

That's the key there.  If it's hard to even earn isk with enough time sink in mission running, mining, whatever, there is even a way around that.  As a working adult who up until recently was also a student in the evening have found this to be the only game where I can still live my normal life and not have to grind away for anything.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

The skill system in Eve is one of those freaking amazing features in a MMO that i wished more games had.

In other sandbox/skillbased games I would need to be logged in all night just grinding out skill levels.

In Eve when I log in I just play, Ill run a couple missions, maybe hook up with some friends and pvp a bit or just break out the hauler and trade for a couple hours then log. For me eve is 100% fun and 0% skill grind.

I agree with the OP that its hard to play leveling games after playing Eve, I'm subbed to WAR and as I reach tier 3 in that game I find my time switching back to Eve more and more. About two weeks ago I would spend about 90% of my time playing WAR now its like 80% Eve 20% WAR .

Eve is just the best for me.

Edit: I hope CCP makes their White wolf MMO use Eves skill system. Would be so awesome to just log in and just play, not have to grind out stupid skills all day.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375

Hello, my name is kattehus and I'm an eveoholic.

I must admit, Eve keeps me at my toes for 5-6 months at a time, then I take a break to try new games, but I always return to eve within 1-2 months, because everything else bores me.

I want to find an mmorpg that's basically exactly like Freelancer, but as an mmo and on one or two servers.. (:

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • shipprekkshipprekk Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by Duvious

I think the skill system is perfect because it gives you time to live your life.

That's the key there.  If it's hard to even earn isk with enough time sink in mission running, mining, whatever, there is even a way around that.  As a working adult who up until recently was also a student in the evening have found this to be the only game where I can still live my normal life and not have to grind away for anything.

See, when I was playing EVE it was the complete opposite. I couldn't do anything in EVE (apart from logging in to start a new skill) without killing several hours. Getting from system to system took far too long, solo missions were tough, and fleet combat was amazingly boring. The most memorable thing from my EVE time (apart from some great RP outside of the game) was when I was rather nubbish and miraculously found a lone hauler out mining. After a good piracy attempt and subsequent fight I realized I would've had the guy had I remembered to engage my radar jammer. It made me want to pirate again and again but I never found another white whale, just a bunch of jackasses in 0.0 who killed me within a few shots. Suffice to say, I loved the idea of EVE but it didn't fit my playstyle.

Being a Tolkien geek and a busy person I love LotRO because I can log in, knock out a few quests in a beautiful game world with friends, and log off within an hour feeling like I've done something.

Of course this isn't an EVE bash, just an 'apples to oranges' comparison.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by zantax

yes, endless grinding to go from one skill to another in swg... nothing but win there.

good thing you could set up ingame macros to help you with the grindage, eh?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?