Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

grouping question

I have a general question about grouping. I have watched all the movies released by everquest2.com and read as many posts as I could before coming here and posting. From what it looks like to me, encounters take on a whole new approach in eq2. It seems more like the casters are able to sit in back and the gameplay is more... the mobs have to get through the tanks to get to the casters.

Mainly im curious because im more interested in being a caster than a tank or fighter. If this isnt the way it is, maybe it should be. As fragile as casters were in eq1, it would be a blessing to see group encounters change in eq2.

Comments

• IowaYetiIowaYeti Member Posts: 468
    That sure would be more "true to the style" for both casters and tanks. I will stand in front for the casters, but the tanks get should the appropriate bonuses of "standing ground" for the good of the group. Looking forward to a Beta testers response also.. good thread.  image

~Yeti

...living up to the standard of typing with "twinkie fingers" one post at a time. lol 8-/

~Yeti

• MaselocMaseloc Member Posts: 175
    I'm not in beta but i can tell you thats not the way it is. It is hate based just like the originall too much casting by a group member and he/she will die.

-Loc

Well, if so, sucks to be a caster... lol   image

~Yeti

...living up to the standard of typing with "twinkie fingers" one post at a time. lol 8-/

~Yeti

• MaselocMaseloc Member Posts: 175
    you betcha =P hehe. I prefer to beat things with a stick anyways

-Loc

• ThoomThoom Member Posts: 436
    Say it with a big stick...but a magic smack down works to....blast them before they reach out and show you some luvin'

Yeti's can't cast for shi-at! I just use my maw and claws...  lol  image

~Yeti

~Yeti

• phantomrileyphantomriley Member Posts: 45

I am sifting through other website forums and they also mention that it will keep the 'hate list' idea from eq1.

Interesting idea came to mind tho... What if like in Final Fantasy where you have your fighters in front that take full damage and give full damage and your casters in back that take less damage and give less damage idea. I thought FF had a good idea there. That way using their magic was the only way for them to be efficient.

• DoomsayerDoomsayer Member Posts: 344

I never saw why this was an issue. Why are you concerned about getting aggro as a caster? I have played wizzy types on almost every MMORPG I have ever played. And this is what I did:

When a mob is pulled, just assist the main tank. Watch the HPs of the target until it is down about 1/3 to half its HPs, then NUKE the hell out of it. I did it this way because of one fact, it doesn't matter when the damage you do is done. Mobs dont get weaker the more damaged they are. So why cast early and risk the aggro? Instead of casting early on, then trying to "time" your remaining shots, just wait till aggro is efficiently set on the main tank. You are only going to cast a certain amount of spells per target as your power situation dictates. No one expects you to kill the mobs yourself, whats the rest of the group for then? Looks?

So just wait until the mob is decently damaged then go to town blasting away like its going out of style. Where you start this will depend largely on the level of the mob in comparison to yourself, and the damage output capability of the main tank, and his taunting ability. If you do somehow get aggro, usually the mob is SO hurt by that point that he will be finished by your group before he can finish you.

When I did this, I would always here that voice from Mortal Kombat in my head, FINISH HIM! And I would. In the end, once you get good at it. You are doing the same amount of damage you would be doing anyway, just all at the end of the battle. When its safer.

In multiple mob situations though, it is imperative that the main tank stay on the same target till it is dead. Depend on your crowd control if you have it, if not, or he is overwhelmed, have a designated "peeler" who takes the aggro off the others who is NOT the main tank.

I have found that this system works very well and should alleviate any concerns about extensive mob aggro onto your main damage dealing caster core. Its not infalable, but no system is.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

Everything born must die. All that is, will come to ruin. This is the essence of Doom. So sayeth the Doomsayer.

• xcaliburxcalibur Member Posts: 571
    I never really played Everquest, but in other mmo's that I played, if the tank did his job then aggro on the damage dealers wasn't a real problem.  Did tanks have taunts in eq?