Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World to be Unveiled Tomorrow

Comments

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Originally posted by Capn23

Originally posted by Elsabolts

what if it turns out to be an extremely fun game?

your wallets might be singing a different tune.

Let's face it...we all just want to have fun. You can talk at me all day about how much you hate Funcom and they are the most untrustworthy bastards on the face of the planet, but if they make a game that clicks with you, I bet you'd fork over the cash.

It's funny how people are so touchy about losing 50 or 75 dollars.

Capn23 its there Track record

I don't know...I'm just not really one to hold grudges I suppose. Don't get your hopes up, but if it turns out to be fun, why not get it? Or would it be breaking your MMORPG moral code?

lol...

but if we are going to talk about track records...then you must mention the fact that both their games have managed to come back from terrible launches and become decent games. AoC gets better and better with each patch. I know you absolutely refuse to admit that AoC is anything more than a pile of shit barfed up from the stomach of a fat Pict, but it HAS become a better game. The average player doesn't analyze every misgiving a game has. They notice the big ones...and so far the only big one left is itemization and that's about to be addressed.

so anyway...my point is that Funcom's record is to make a come back.

The only thing Funcom wants is your money the easer the better.

Elsa, what is it about THE GAME AoC that you hate so much? I know you hate Funcom, but what about AoC is it that disappointed you so much that you bash the game day in and day out?

I don't want you to tell me about the shady practices of Funcom. I've heard those lines from you already. What is it about the game itself that disappointed you so much that you bash anything related to it?

The combat system? The linear play style? The bugs? The instanced world?

I don't think I've seen you ever really talk about those issues. Could you please tell me in detail what is so absolutely wrong with AoC,

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by SaintViktor

If you're unaware of Funcom's newest project, The Secret World, it's about time you knew that the secret is about to be unveiled. Forget the stigma associated with Funcom and Age of Conan,
     And Anarchy Online also, right? Don't think so, the stigma is there for a reason.
     the fact that The Secret World's community is comprised of some of the most intelligent gamers you'll find this side of EVE. Case 
    There is no game yet, so there is no game community yet, either. The game community will only be seen when the game is released. Until then it's not a "game community", but just people interested in a game which, if Funcom sticks to form, will be nothing like the game they are expecting.
    Source: www.massively.com

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Khrymson

AoC for example...they sold how many copies...over 800k and less than 100k are still around in under less than 1 yr.  Thats over 40 million dollars they made just on box sales alone, not including those that stuck around for a 2nd month and longer.  Then they used those sales as a false point to claim how great their game was luring more unsuspecting players into forking over their money to them.

That's your opinion which is fine... but its not my viewpoint.

Tho I would hope that you apply your viewpoint equally to the other company that did this exact same thing.

After the last few MMO's that came out my viewpoint is pretty much I will not buy any product I don't beta test... (and if it sucks in beta I won't pre-order it).

If I don't personally see it before launch I will wait until after its live at least one month.

The list of "crap in a box" hasn't been limited to "Made by Funcom" or I guess I just have a very different view of recent MMO's than you.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

It SEEMS that when it come's to FUNCOM you LIKE the gaming company or you DON'T. That is fine to each there own and all it boils down to is OPINIONS. Me personaly I have never played any game from funcom. To tell you the TRUTH I am looking forward to this new MMO. WHY??? Because I am BORED to death longing for the next BIG MMO to hold my interest for more then TWO month. WoW held it for over THREE years but hey that was WoW I guess BLIZZ done something RIGHT... Lol

So NOW I am looking for the NEXT WoW who know maybe this SECRET just may be it. PERSONALY dont care if CALECOVISION raised from the dead and presented this game to us. It don't MATTER to me.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Antarious

AoC for example...they sold how many copies...over 800k and less than 100k are still around in under less than 1 yr.  Thats over 40 million dollars they made just on box sales alone, not including those that stuck around for a 2nd month and longer.  Then they used those sales as a false point to claim how great their game was luring more unsuspecting players into forking over their money to them.

That's your opinion which is fine... but its not my viewpoint.

Tho I would hope that you apply your viewpoint equally to the other company that did this exact same thing.

After the last few MMO's that came out my viewpoint is pretty much I will not buy any product I don't beta test... (and if it sucks in beta I won't pre-order it).

If I don't personally see it before launch I will wait until after its live at least one month.

The list of "crap in a box" hasn't been limited to "Made by Funcom" or I guess I just have a very different view of recent MMO's than you.

You're right, and I do apply this outlook to all game companies that make MMOs or not.  SOE and Funcom are at the top of the list right now.  After the SWG and AO fiasco, I still stuck around and gave them both another chance hoping they had learned from their mistakes.

Unfortunately neither have and continue down the same path as usual and don't deserve my money anymore, and I'll do anything I can to prevent others from falling into the same trap.  After playing AoC in beta I tried really hard to the point of having an old account here on MMORPG being banned for 6 months trying to inform people how bad it was, and well it didn't work until they all fell for the trap Funcom laid out.

I've also turned to waiting awhile after launch if I don't get into beta to try an MMO, but at the same time after being dissappoint for so many years straight now and just don't care about the hype anymore and don't look forward to any MMOs.  However I do have lots of trust in Bioware and SW:TOR but I'm still very neutral atm.  I'm also looking forward to whatever Blizzard is making...just cause I don't enjoy WoW anymore doesn't mean I'm hate them...it was a good game during teh time I played but has turned for the worst and its not fun anymore to me.  Anyway...

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I'll try Secret World  -- 3 months after release

• qbangy32qbangy32 Member Posts: 681

Why form an opinion of a game based on a beta?

Why not form it on a free trial for instance when it's actually supposed to be in as bug free a state as it's meant to be.

Yes you'l be waiting awhile for the trial but surely that will mean you will probably get a much better playing experience and something that is closer to what the game what advertised to do.

Personally I don't apply for beta's anymore, I fell into the trap of making my mind up based on that experience, it was wrong to do so because I wasn't playing the finished product, I was "Testing" a bugged product and supposedly helping to eradicate those issues.

As for ppl coming onto these sites and proclaiming they should not touch "Blah blah" developers because they lied/cheated/stole or killed my babies then I'm sorry but I quickly pass over those types of posts as the ravings of a loony or someone who has an axe to grind.

I like millions of other ppl like to make up our own minds without being preached to.

I'm a gamer, I go where I think I'l find some entertainment.

• judex99judex99 Member UncommonPosts: 392

They learned from AO launch fiasco, their last MMO was single player for the first 20 levels or so :)

• WisebutCruelWisebutCruel Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by judex99

They learned from AO launch fiasco, their last MMO was single player for the first 20 levels or so :)

It's pretty much singleplayer AFTER level 20 also. They just take the bad voice acting away.

• Batak_KillerBatak_Killer Member UncommonPosts: 395

......1 hour and 45 minutes till the reveal... uhhh cant wait!!!!!!!!!

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

It's funny how people are so touchy about losing 50 or 75 dollars.

Its not entirely about losing that small amount of money on 1 game, but more about giving the money to a horrible company that doesn't deserve to be in business anymore because of their actions and horrible track record.  When people keep giving into this crap it keeps them funded too keep making more and more horrible games and continually ripping off the gaming community.

Its an endless scam that should be shut down....and I won't participate in it.

I enjoyed leveling in AoC. 1-20 was nicely done. The classes were cool and not the traditional "Mage, Warrior, Rogue, Priest"

Graphics are great.

What killed it was lack of quest content after lvl 70, no working endgame content, no working siegle pvp.

Just like almost everyother MMorpg released in the last 8years, unfinished. Maybe alittle more unfinished than others.

I got my $95 worth for sure. I probably would have played it for 6 months if it werent for Warhammer, which is another unfinished flop.

Its evident that developers constantly underestimate the cost and time required to create a  good finished mmorpg.

• Thoth-AmonThoth-Amon Member Posts: 91

Looks like an interesting concept but FC are a company I will never buy from again. They lie and cheat and dont deserve my money.

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

In the waiting for *any* kind of press release for World of Darkness Online, this MMO might fill the gap, and the zombie death things in the few game screenshots released so far look pretty cool to fight too.

• LowdosLowdos Member Posts: 644

It begins - gamereactor.se/grtv/

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by AllNewMMOSuk

My honest surprise is how people get all excited before every new game release (both MMO and non MMO alike). At this point in gaming people should realize that when you get all hyped up for a new game, it will never meet your expectations. Just sit back, don't read all the developer hype, and wait for release. Then either try it out on launch with no preset expectations, or wait a month for the player feedback.

I agree, I didn't get hyped up about WAR and it sill failed to meet my expectations... 

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by nyxium

In the waiting for *any* kind of press release for World of Darkness Online, this MMO might fill the gap, and the zombie death things in the few game screenshots released so far look pretty cool to fight too.

It will be a long wait, I doubt you'll see release until 2012.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564
    Originally posted by solarine

Originally posted by Zorndorf

People will NEVER learn from their mistakes and certainly not on mmorpg.com.
    I have a better idea.
    I'll post my bank account next time and you can all send $15 each month to me.

I'll make a deal with you. Create a profound gaming experience like The Longest Journey and I will do that for a full year, no further service expected.

You see, Ragnar Tørnquist has that kind of credit with me. I may have lost all sympathy with Funcom as a company but this man has earned it, so he has at least one pre-order waiting right here. Not because of a hype for what is to come, but because of good old gratitude. Yes, I know it is a forgotten concept around here.

/agree

I've played through Longest Journey (highly acclaimed game) several times. Love it every time.

I've played through Dreamfall (also highly acclaimed) at least 3 times. Love it as well (though *really* waiting for the third part... lots of still unanswered questions there).

Ragnar's writing for Anarchy Online is, similarly, awesome in my opinion.

So, simply that factor alone gives me hope for this game to at least be very very interesting. How will it play and perform as a game, remains to be seen. However - unless it's clear they're dropping the ball, or the gameplay is something I couldn't enjoy enough to get into it - I will likely be trying it out.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Lowdos

I will be playing this game:

• No levels
    • Huge character customization
    • No classes

Was about time :D

Thanks for the link Lowdos.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Yet another thread converted to a bash FUNCOM thread rofl.

Funcom is an mmo producer the whole industry is plagued by early unpolished releases some worse than others, if you dont know this then you dont know anyhting about MMOs. Discussing over and over is futile. If you cant pay to beta test wait 6 months and then get a game.

Anyhoo I thought this thread was about Secret World.......................................

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Skiped thru alot of the thread cause it was more about funcom than the game.

Is secret world an MMOAdventureGame?   Not a fan of longest journey and the other games the guy a few post above me mentioned but my wife is.

Sorta like Myst online or something?

• DataDayDataDay Member UncommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Deewe

• No levels
    • No classes

Funcom:

• False Marketing
    • False Features
    • Last Minute changes/content loss/mechanic changes.

You might want to think twice. Btw you just described Darkfall up above, why no play that? You see, anyone can make claims, many games have made those claims, but this is still funcom we are dealing with.

• RallycartRallycart Member UncommonPosts: 717
    Originally posted by Rabenwolf

• No levels
    • No classes

Funcom:

• False Marketing
    • False Features
    • Last Minute changes/content loss/mechanic changes.

You might want to think twice. Btw you just described Darkfall up above, why no play that? You see, anyone can make claims, many games have made those claims, but this is still funcom we are dealing with.

Be honest... You KNOW why no one is off playing Darkfall. If the full loot PvP gankfest doesn't put you off, then the fact that you cant actually buy the game kind of screws it.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

It is hard to trust Funcom indeed, however, they did fire Gaute Godager and hired the man behind Dreamfall, so I have faith still.

• GreenChaosGreenChaos Member Posts: 2,268

• No levels
    • No classes

Looks very promising, and no this wasn't the same team that made AoC.  I'm not into adventure games and I'm not into AoC, but this is definitely a different kind of MMO and one without levels and classes.  Isn't that what people on this forum have been begging for? 

People on this forum are just amazing – not the same dev team people. Holy Hell. It's like some people look for any reason at all not to try a MMO.

• Cody1174Cody1174 Member Posts: 271

How hot is the girl in the Cinematic trailer.....wow.