Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game should be awesome....

As a 30+ yr SW fan, I am looking forward to this one.

If it lets me accomplish a lot of quests on my own, along with a great grp play element ,it will be perfect. Bioware writes some awesome quests in their games. Some times they span a bit of time, or other times just totally out there...as in it makes ya think to figure it out. Sure they will hit ya with a lame one here and there, but the good so far out weighs the bad it doesnt matter.

Besides the great story telling, the classes should be interesting if Bioware is true to form. I own all BioWare games with the exception of the ME expansion, and a couple of the download modules from their store. Having completed all games except Jade Empire and Mass Effect(Which is basically just KOTOR and DnD games...yeah so what :P )....I think they did good with the implementation of KOTOR 1, BG 1 + 2 and NWN(got all expansions cept Cormyr and Pirate one).

This should be able to keep them producing classes for OR that should make us happy. I hope they stay with the level and skill point theme ala KOTOR. They had a nice start of skills from the original game, and hopefully have worked on a lot more for those that are big into customizing. I saw one person call out on brds he wants to be a HK droid, and ya know, that would probably be the coolest BH build. Especially for those folks that are focused on their RP time.

The chatter from HK-47 in KOTOR 1/2 is pretty good for bringing a smirk. I hope we see more of his model line, and that warehouse that never went into KOTOR 2 where he is built.

But the classes is perhaps not even going to be the best of it, I expect we will have some pretty wicked sites to explore as well. I cant get into ME cause of the FPS bit on pain meds, but my kid has knocked some out. Mass Effect has got some nice looking sites to behold. Beyond the eye candy though, BioWare has always been able to give us some good maps to play for our encounters...although I am sure some folks will find it a bit linear. Areas make "sense" how they are arranged.

I am sure they will be able to handle MMO play, as technically they did tune their encounters to more than one character in battle. Various games have let you carry up to as many as 5 in your grp. The banter used to be pretty memorable :)

Going back to their older days, the game play was a bit more wide open though. BG 1/2 were some of the best I have ever played. Would be awesome to get something similar from them on this effort(I think for sure we will see it in Dragon's Age).  I am sure the sandbox folks werent happy with BG 1/2...but they allowed you to go a lot of directions, while still getting the central theme completed. 

I am very much looking for this game to launch. Sorry for the long read on it, but as I indicated, BioWare has helped make some of the best games I have ever played. As much as I will always call out EQ as the best MMO, I will probably do the same about BW being the best game studio.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Everything you say may come true. Or it may not.

Bioware is a good game company, but they've never made an MMO before.  A bit of a different animal.

There is a huge SW fan base out there that still wants this game to be something its not, they will decry the game no matter what.  But will they have any effect on its success, time will tell.

Best game developer?  Naw, that honor so far clearly falls to Blizzard, at least in terms of longevity and titles. (sorry WOW haters, butt its true)  Don't believe me, wait till you see the sales numbers on their next 3 games. (at least in terms of financial popularity, which in the end, is the real number that matters)

But lets hope they bring something new and fresh to the genre, it certainly can use it.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

It shows how much peoples opinions can vary.Personally i think Bioware is rubbish yet you put them on a pedestal.Thats cool we cant all agree with each other,that would not be normal.

As far as storylines go,they are not creating a storyline,everyone at this point in time,knows of Star Wars,since they are doing the SW game,they MUST follow the storyline.

You also mentioned ME,i can't believe so many think so highly of that game,IMO it does not even look that good,but i know more of what i am looking at than most do .

I will agree on one part ,EQ WAS the best MMO ever made,but EQ2 past it easily in ever facet as a matter of fact EQ2 re hashed most of the good parts from EQ and added more so no comparing the two games.However it was and still is a great game.

Do i think Bioware can produce a good MMO?well by your own admiitance,they are making quests solo material,so that sums it up right there.They do not have the knowledge or mindset to make a MMO,they will make a Single player game and allow the MMO population that is all.I might add that i stopped following this game early as nothing i saw impressed me,and my gut feeling is that Bioware is not able to produce something i call complete.Personally i am not big on games that copy story lines or movies or books.I am not into LOTR or AOC as a story,i like CREATIVITY,i like to see what a developer can come up with on their own,that is why i like the FF series,it is much more intriguing and true to the Fantasy genre.I am not sure what genre you could actually put a movie copy into?MMOMC?I also believe SOE did as much as they could for the SW genre,i don' think much is left to explore that would not bore me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

If I enjoyed RTS, and had been able to take the graphics of WOW, I might be with ya on that Kyl.

Seeing as I quit WoW 2 weeks after launch, and only have played D1 + 2, along with WC3(which I only played thru for the lore). I really cant put them ahead of BW on my list.

I hear D3 is coming though.....will be looking forward to that.

D1 was the first PC game I think I ever bought. I didnt have time for that stuff when I was working/going to college in late 80s/early 90s. Married/kids early in life so missed out on some stuff.

Heck as a side note...I wrote my own PacMan game in Assembler, while  at U of Michigan-Flint about 94, for my MicroArchitecture class. Other than Calc 2 during the summer(6 yrs since Calc 1), that was the hardest class I ever had.

It wasnt very "artistic" with my Pac representaton, but it did work. Got an A- in the class. 

You would be surprised at how rough collision detection was back then. That was just a 2D space as well. I know things got so much easier over the years, but back then you had to know what you were doing. When I say easier I mean stuff like things being modular...with inheritence lots of procedures/various are already taken care of for you. Even being able to write in something other than Assembler cuts so much head ache out of it.

Anyways am giving my own thread a detour. I dont normally get wound up about gaming too much anymore. Kind of nice weather here today before big snow, and guess my p[ain meds might be kicking some :P

Have a good one :)

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• TakodanTakodan Member UncommonPosts: 161

Indeed... i'm sold on anything Star Wars. Loved the movies, enjoy the expanded universe books and have so far played close to all PC and console titles (with the exception of a few of course since it's expensive to buy them all). Point being, BioWare did an excellent job with the Kotor-series and Baldur's Gate. I'm confident that their excellence will show it self yet again as they cross into the realm of MMOs.