Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Might be a new Sci-fi MMO with a skill system coming

ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

I was reading an interview from Craig Z about Star Trek online.  I know how much pre-cu players, myself included, enjoyed the skill system in SWG.  It seems like Cryptic may be looking at some form of skill system connected with professions in the upcoming StarTrek game.  I'm going to keep my eye on this.  I looks interesting.  Here's a quote:

"So within those classes, or within your career choices there’s so much that you can explore. The player can say, “Look, I’m really going to try to learn these skills or really try to push myself in this direction and maybe it’ll work or maybe it won’t. If it doesn’t I’ll just go learn these skills now and play this today” (Craig Z at TenTonHammer).

Comments

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

What would I want from a Star Trek mmo? To be able to fly in my ship and needing a group to pilot it like in the movies. Then land down on a planet and do some kinda instance or whatever. However in STO you can't even walk around in your ship............ so what is the fucking point? You're flying solo in a ship, that isn't Star Trek at all. Even Star Wars Galaxies had ships you could have like 8 people in and people mounting turrets while someone pilots and the others could see in real time whats going on from the inside. Then you could land on Avatar or whatever and do that dungeon.

The game will fail just like Stargate.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931

Will the game fail or succeed?  I dunno tbh.  Does the game appear to be working on a skill system, linked with professions?  It seems like it, and I thought this might be of interest to fellow SWG vets.   That got my attention anyways.  I have no real desire to say the game will or won't be great.  We won't know that until release.  Also, I don't really have any investment in this, or any other game's, success or failure.  Mainly, I just like to see games that work, and companies that don't give players the shaft.

The point you raise about ship interiors is a huge issue, apparently, for prospective players.  Cryptic would do well to give it a lot of attention.  I've seen suggestions that they will be added in after release--just like SWG by the way.  It also did not have the capabilities you mention at release.  We had to wait for the first paid expansion to get that.  They did a good job on that too imo.  JTL was great fun, and I understand that's still one of the high points of the game.  Imagine if they tried to force that out at release along with all the other broken things they pushed on us.

Imo Cryptic might help their cause if they give people some clarity around their development plans for visiting other people's ships and walking around.  If it's going to be in the first content update, for example, it would probably be a good idea to say so.  If it's not in the first content update, maybe it should be...

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

What would I want from a Star Trek mmo? To be able to fly in my ship and needing a group to pilot it like in the movies. Then land down on a planet and do some kinda instance or whatever. However in STO you can't even walk around in your ship............ so what is the fucking point? You're flying solo in a ship, that isn't Star Trek at all. Even Star Wars Galaxies had ships you could have like 8 people in and people mounting turrets while someone pilots and the others could see in real time whats going on from the inside. Then you could land on Avatar or whatever and do that dungeon.

I'm sure there are tons of people waiting in line to work in engineering on your ship, or run your transporter while you and your loyal crew of hard working red-shirts beam down to the planet.  Speaking of red shirts, did you want them to be player characters too? 

You will have a crew, it just won't be a player crew... because for everyone who really just wants to be part of the crew on a player ship, there are 100 people who want to be the captain.

As far as no walking around in your ship.  I do wish they would change that, you should at least be able to captain your ship from the bridge, even if you cant explore the entire ship.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by John.A.Zoid

Didn't Cryptic decided to re-impliment habitable ship interiors...like a LONG time ago? Did they go back on that issue? I haven't been following it.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

Star Trek has potential. I don't like sci-fi mmos but i don't think it will fail by any means... i don't know if it will be popular though especially with the new star wars mmo coming behind it... but i don't know why i'm commenting as I have no interest in either of them nor have i played swg. k bye ^^

• PreCUPreCU Member Posts: 382

console and pc players on the same server doesn't appeal to me. Consoles are the limiting factor so I'd basically be playing a console game on my computer.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I'm skeptical about STO, it's been passed around from 5 or 6 different organizations until Cryptic picked it up and has been in the works since 2004 I think. I remember before the CU came out, I saw screenshots of STO and they looked awkward but I was a bit interested in it for a while. Seems sci-fi based MMOs just don't have the same luck fantasty ones do.

• Bob_BlawblawBob_Blawblaw Member Posts: 1,278
    Originally posted by PreCU

console and pc players on the same server doesn't appeal to me. Consoles are the limiting factor so I'd basically be playing a console game on my computer.

Yeah, that to me is a hamstring as well. A good MMORPG experience can only be had to it's fullest on a PC (nay, even a Mac).

Some may argue that you could potentially hook a keyboard/mouse up to a console, and play on an HD screen and therefore technically have the same visceral experience, but it's more than that. It's the console player himself (herself) that will ruin it for us PC (mac) users.

• BullseyeArc1BullseyeArc1 Member UncommonPosts: 410

Well if you want to try out EVE I still got a all access 21 day VIP pass to give out, first to send a message gets it.