Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is truly a breath of fresh air to the genre

romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

I have been playing POTBS for about 5 days now, and I have to say that it has been a truly revolutionizing experience. The game is far from perfect and has its faults, especially with avatar combat. However, there are certain mechanics and new ideas to this game which I think should become staples in future MMOs.

The first thing that really blew my mind was how different the game is based on your class. In other MMOs, your class really only effects your playstyle and role in a group. In POTBS, your class effects the way the entire game is played and what kind quests / missions you get. If your interested in being a merchant and building warehouse, crafting supplies and controling the marketplace, then the game is going to focus around different types of ships you own and the entire point of going into open seas. 

I think this class style is revolutionary and hope more games in the future pick up on this. Instead of being just like everyone else and doing all the same quests,  except being able to us a different type of armor or casting certain spells, this system really makes you feel the game from an entirely diffrent perspective. 

Second thing is the ship battles. I must have slain over 100k bears in my MMO life, as well as twice as many goblins and orcs. In POTBS, the ship battles are extremely stategic and fun. Instead of just worrying about Health and mana, you have to watch your speed, your ships firing angle, how many crewman are available, ship morale, HPs for your sails and your hull, and what kind of ammo your using for the particular situation. I personally go with grapeshot style ammo and decimate the opposing ships crew, and then grapple and board them. Or if you for the firepower, just blast them with the heaviest shots you got until their hull is ready to break. 

I would say the game isnt for everyone. Its not a very quick satisfaction game and does require some strategy. But its certainly worth giving a go for the free trial and using up all your time. Try different classes and see which one suits your playstyle. For me, being a pirate and getting to steal other peoples ships when I defeat them is pure pleasure to me :) 

Comments

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

The sea combat is entertaining and engaging. The sounds and effects really make it aa fun game to play. PotBS's quests often have fun storylines to them, with some neat plots and a few branching arcs. The player-made flags and sails are a great feature, too! I had a lot of fun collecting sails during my time in PotBS.

Oh, Daeke, Danicia and the entire FLS team KICK MUVFUXXIN BUTT!

An awesome crew and a really fun game.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300

I played the beta for 2 or 3 weeks and I can say that its interesting and in some cases new, but revolutionary? The biggest mistake this game and its developers did was to make it two sided. One on which you fought on land and the other at sea.. instead of just focus all on either one. Because the hand to hand combat sucks beyond your imagination (you mustve played it to understand how much it really sucks) the animations are still (played the trial a couple of weeks back) not synced with actions, running ability.. well I wont go there but its messy. Oh not to mention theres like 4 different templates on which all missions/quests uses.

If you want to play this game I sugest you do it as a merchant or a crafter perhaps combined with the captain class which mostly focuses on ship to ship battles, not so much on boarding etc. Also one should be guilded and playing PvP perhaps 40-60% of time you spend, because quite frankly pve is bad. Sea combat gets dull by time since turn right, turn left space (fire cannons) and round you go, there are abilities but they are mostly buffs (ofc there are some good active ones too)

all in all Id say this game is a bit.. It has its good sides but Im not sure wether or not theyl even reflect upon the game as you mostly see the negative ones.. perhaps that all 4 servers are low populated?

I say to OP, if you can grind your way to lvl 50 let me know, il congratulate you through all the grind

OP I really recommend checking EvE online out if you havnt already and if you like PotBS. It may be in space but thats also how far they are apart from eachother.

Dont hope my post dont turn you off but, well I think the game is shit

• romanswinterromanswinter Member UncommonPosts: 74

I do like the idea of Eve and have heard nothing but great things about it. However, I dont think I will ever play Eve because at this point I am so behind the curve of all the established players, that it doesnt seem likely that I would ever be able to achieve too much when competing against all the longstanding veterans. If they ever opened a new server someday I would certainly check it out. 

• PapaB34RPapaB34R Member Posts: 300
    Originally posted by romanswinter

I do like the idea of Eve and have heard nothing but great things about it. However, I dont think I will ever play Eve because at this point I am so behind the curve of all the established players, that it doesnt seem likely that I would ever be able to achieve too much when competing against all the longstanding veterans. If they ever opened a new server someday I would certainly check it out. 

noobs in EvE today do get a lot more buffing when it comes to Skills and the "exp" of skill then when I started to combat this, but if you play 2,3 months you could easily compete on the pvp arena, sure you wouldnt be the best but you probably wouldnt been the worst either. They say those who PvP EvE atleast those Ive spoken to that ingame PvP is about 40% gear 20% skills and the rest would be skills, that means you should be able to compete.

Id understand if you didnt like the gameplay, that was my case but claiming to be impossible to compare well thats a stretch, its all bout guilds. I knew people who started at the same time as me and when I popped back a couple of months later they were all pvp'ing in guilds so that proves your argument to be false. Still if you like PotBS better good for you

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by romanswinter

It's a single-server universe, so a new server is extremely unlikely. :) 

As for being 'behind the curve', EVE is unlike the majority of MMOs. A new player is an asset to even the most veteran of teams. Here's a few links to check out that may alleviate your concerns.

- Dispelling PVP Myths @ EVE-O Forums

- EVE Online Misconceptions @ RPG Vault

And here's a video of two vets using two-day old characters with minimal skill points as an effective PvP team in frigates, the lowest class of combat ships in the game:

http://dl.eve-files.com/media/0903/TheCCPTest_divx_mp3.avi

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • ddevddev Member Posts: 165

This game is a revetation to the mmo genre as a whole:

+ Great graphics, eye candy costumes, character differentiation and a great concept.

+ Thorough background and hostorically correct content, which blends nicely with supernatural and tales and superstiotions -the pirate way: great content.

+ Great pvp system

+ Nicely laid rules

+ I totally disagree with avatar combat: It's another game within this game, completelly with its own skill system and 3 fighting schools to choose from. Together with those bautifull costumes it really makes a wonderfull alternative to fireballs one can launch from his ass, farting... Great fun with avcom

+ Great support: problems are getting solved fast.

They got some lag issues sometimes, maybe they need a server cluster within Europe -maybe-

An awesome game, kudos to the devs that made it, the task is huge..

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

I would still say based on what they are doing, certain aspects of the game indeed are revolutionary.  I tried EvE, and it bored the crap out of me.  I don't want to have to sail hours to something.  That appeals to a certain group, that ain't me.  I would still say hands down the pvp mechanics are the best out of any game.  While the PvE isn't that good, it really isn't that good in EvE either.  It's a pvp game.  If you want PvE, you play WoW, because when it comes to PvE, nothing beats wow.