Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Conficker Virus

Can someone clear it up? I have no idea if I should get more protection or what? Is it just another joke?

If there is another thread someone, if you mind linking it in the thread, would be appreciated. Sorry if there was another thread on this

Comments

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

If your Windows operating system is up-to-date with updates, you have a firewall running and you have a decently reliable anti-virus software that is also up-to-date and you have it turned on, you have nothing to worry about.  Standard disclaimers apply. If you don't use Windows you have nothing to worry about.

The majority of individuals on the internet will experience no issues with this.  IF you are on a cable network leg with several people who have infected computers and IF the conficker worm activates and IF it's payload causes a significant increase in network traffic there is a possibility that you will experience issues associated with decreased bandwidth. This is my opinion. Standard disclaimers apply.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • hatchethandshatchethands Member Posts: 187

Thanks!

• ningmengbainingmengbai Member Posts: 6

That's a good idea, I look around here

sss

• bhugbhug Member UncommonPosts: 944

The Conflicker/Downadup worm was detected in Nov. 2008. Unpatched computers are at risk.
    W32/Conflicker.worm attacks port 445, Microsoft Directory Service, exploitin g MS08 - 067 . MS08 - 067 is an exploit similar to MS06 - 040.
    Conficker (aka Downadup, Kido) is known to block access to over 100 anti-virus and security websites. ref

McAfee detector (1.38MB)

Sophos clean-up tool (771KB)

Symantec removal tool (2.3MB)

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515

Avast is also a decent Virus guard its good updated regulary and its completly free.

Just type the word Avast in your search engine to find them. Oh also there are 2 versions of avast one for corperations and small buisnesses which isa not free and a home version which is.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981