Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard has MASSIVELY improved!! I'd try it again

Comments

• RribRrib Member Posts: 49

Ok, I get it. This game is only for the elite who can run out and spend alot on state of the art hardware. So excuse me, my bad.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Originally posted by Rrib

Ok, I get it. This game is only for the elite who can run out and spend alot on state of the art hardware. So excuse me, my bad.

I don't have state of the Art Hardware:

I have an Intel, dual core processor at 2.4ghz

Nvidia GeForce 7950GT Video Card

2 gigs of Ram

Not a bad system but not State of the Art by any means.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092

My problem with VG is its basically a solo game surrounded by group content that can't accessed. There are no people around to group with. Its a great world, and I bet it has amazing content. All I could experience was boring solo content.

My last visit to Telon was horrible. I didn't see one player in the 2 hours that I tried to give the game another chance. Didn't bother to sign back on after that.

I hate games that don't know if they want to be a solo game, or a group game. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot with all the group content, but no players to support it.

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by brostyn

My problem with VG is its basically a solo game surrounded by group content that can't accessed. There are no people around to group with. Its a great world, and I bet it has amazing content. All I could experience was boring solo content.

My last visit to Telon was horrible. I didn't see one player in the 2 hours that I tried to give the game another chance. Didn't bother to sign back on after that.

I hate games that don't know if they want to be a solo game, or a group game. I feel like I'm missing out on a lot with all the group content, but no players to support it.

Exactly, the problems between Solo and Group content.  Thats partly reason game sucks. because have to waste so much time trying to find a decent group.

EDIT: Back in the day when I played Vanguard on release day, I played until it starts becoming group reliable for in order to complete quest, thats when i quit the game.

Kain_Dale

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Speaking of  graphics, the art direction in vanguard makes me want to puke.  No thanks.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• Dwarfman420Dwarfman420 Member Posts: 207
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't have state of the Art Hardware:

I have an Intel, dual core processor at 2.4ghz

Nvidia GeForce 7950GT Video Card

2 gigs of Ram

Not a bad system but not State of the Art by any means.

Yes an you prolly take great screenshots when you stop to jack all the settings to high or above.

Truth is if you left those settings on high or above with your rig, you'd stutter step, have a drop in framerate that makes it very irritating to play an further more to raid or get more then 20 people in one area, say like any major city...  would cause your cpu to start craping itself.

To bad you can't play a game based on screenshots.

You do need an above average gaming rig to play this game without the afformentioned above.

It's come a long way since launch as far as playability is concerned but still wont run smoothly on most average gaming rigs without settings set to medium or below (unless you are out in the country, alone soloing). 

Well, I'm not sorry I upgraded a computer to get this game to run. Now, the other games I play run great!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

Well, I'm not sorry I upgraded a computer to get this game to run. Now, the other games I play run great!

In the end that's probably the bette way to look at it. ; )

To the person who mentioned the art design, i actually think there is a somewhat decent Art desgin. It's as if the intention is there but in some cases it's not rended the best way. Still, I come across all sorts of things that make me stop and stare because it is actually good. It's sort of catch as catch can.

I also think the poster who said it was like a solo game but with group content wasn't too far off. at least for lower levels. Once you leave the trial island you will see people and will even see them talking in the larger area chats (I had to turn that off as it was non-stop. Nothing bad but I hate watching conversations going by in my chat window when I'm trying to play) but the world is so large that you won't see a large amount of people running around. I don't know what would be considered the high lvl areas so I don't have any way of seeing what the population is like.

Still, as I am a solo player who groups on occassion the game works for me. For players who are pretty die hard grouping it mihgt not. Having said that, I have run into areas where it is painfully obvious that a group would make it much easier. Especially if one were to pull an extra add or two.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975

Well I am sorry, because you made some piss poor choices when you upgraded than. I bought my computer the same week vanguard launched. Its played vanguard every setting maxed at 1920x1200 sence day 1, not only that it plays any game out right now every setting maxed.
    You could build my computer now for about $1500 easy. Anyway shop smart bro.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081

K so this thread is about Vanguard improving. I can attest to that. I was surprised at how such a small development team was able to turn this game around the way they have. I really do wish they would increase their team significantly, and pump out more updates, more frequently. And I would like to have more character creation options added back in after all this time.

Originally posted by swede2

Well I am sorry, because you made some piss poor choices when you upgraded than. I bought my computer the same week vanguard launched. Its played vanguard every setting maxed at 1920x1200 sence day 1, not only that it plays any game out right now every setting maxed.

How fortunate for you that an extra $1500 is easy. I'm impressed!

• Castekin1000Castekin1000 Member Posts: 36

swede2 I am curios could you please tell me the specs of your PC when you bought Vanguard?

My PC specs When I got Vanguard were-

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 / 2.4 GHz processor

2 gigs of Ram

GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB

Now I know by today's standards that not to good, but back when Vanguard was released it was a pretty good machine. Yet in dungeons like Achlatan Spider Caves I was dropping down to 1-10 FPS when it got busy.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Im positive that the clientperformance is worse then a few months back. I came back a few weeks ago and never uninstalled the client. I had to turn down graphics settings to be able to play at decent fps. Last time I played (about 6 months ago), the game felt improved loads in client performance.

I dont know what they changed in one of the last updates, but whatever it is, it made the game run worse.  I also cant find any good information anymore on how to tweak vgclient.ini for better performance. Most links are either outdated or dont work anymore.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by Castekin1000

swede2 I am curios could you please tell me the specs of your PC when you bought Vanguard?

2 gigs of Ram

GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB

Now I know by today's standards that not to good, but back when Vanguard was released it was a pretty good machine. Yet in dungeons like Achlatan Spider Caves I was dropping down to 1-10 FPS when it got busy.

Keep in mind that according to swede he has almost never had a problem with performance or bugs in this game since day 1.  He/she seems to have extraordinary luck in this game.

• gogogogonegogogogone Member Posts: 40

Spitfire1525, no review ever said the terrain in Vanguard was bad.  In fact, Vanguard had the highest graphics and CPU requirement @ launch, hence no one could play it.  Now when you hide the toon in the image...that's where we as fish don't bite, and begin to wonder.  The toons were characterized as inflexible, under deveoped, and laggy.  The world was suppose to have the best crafting to date, but they didn't put a 25% of the content in that other PvE MMO's had.  Rumor: Flying mounts where timed and you could be dropped out of the sky if you didn't time it right.  Buy-your-way-to-the-end-scams appeared from SOE, and people fled.  10/17/2007 was the performance increase, so you are slow on picking up the news.  That's when they canned the developers and they guy from Planetside came over.  This is over 2 years ago.  We were just wondering after that when the end was.  And, please don't tell us DirectX8 is better than DirectX10.  Vanguard might be a good game, but mis-information is just as bad as bad information.  Try to go back and promote the good points, like the free 14-day trial so we fish can make up our own minds. :(

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519

what system did you buy? Since Update 6 alot more machines can run the game just have to tweek the settings.

• GoldknyghtGoldknyght Member UncommonPosts: 1,519
    Originally posted by Daffid011
    Keep in mind that according to swede he has almost never had a problem with performance or bugs in this game since day 1.  He/she seems to have extraordinary luck in this game.

The system i had to buy at launch for this game to play was

E6400 2.2GHZ

3 GB xms2 ram 

Geforce 8800GTS

it was choppy but after it loaded it played for the most part. I just didnt like the waiting for each (invisible zone) to load and droping to 10FPS until it loaded. So i bashed VG on these forums started a thread that got deleted which i dont understand why if theres a we hate SoE thread why couldnt there be a we hate VG thread. but whatever to censor threads to each is own. but at the end of the year they finally fixed most of my grips with GU3 i believe and the game could run on my system awhole lot better but by then the player base was gone so it was a empty game IMO. But i have since went back because well i need my high fantasy and EQ as much as i love it, just wasn't doing it for me so i popped in VG and did Isle of Dawn and there is actually people to group with and its not that bad now. I'll still bash it because well i can but the game is worth a 2nd look if you havent played since launch. And if you dont want to pay just do the free trial island and if its still crap to you dont play it and stop visiting the VG threads because you dont give two spits as to what is said on them.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Not at all.  You'll see post after post after post about people that have modest systems and get great performance.  I spent $270 upgrading my sons 7 year old computer and it runs Vanguard like a champ on high quality settings.  What you need to watch out for is a part of your system that might be bottlenecking performance (e.g. hard drive speed, processor etc.).

• swede2swede2 Member Posts: 975

Originally posted by Castekin1000

2 gigs of Ram
    GeForce 8800 GTS 512MB

I would say it was play style more than luck. Not everyone plays games the same way you guys do.
    I dont race to max level in any game.It took me 153 days or something to reach 60 in WOW. I like to make money and every game is different. In vanguard crafting was the way to make money when it first released.
    I spend most of the first 6 months just crafting , dont think my toon even got to level 12 adventuring But i was on the leading edge of the crafters and making good money My toon was always in one of the top 5 richest characters postions. Untill some farmer figured out how to dope gold and my toon dropped about 50 places over night. That was a bummer lol.
    Anyways i only advantured when i had to to reach someplace to get the crafting quests or i needed a few levels to harvest a little easier.
    Anyways my experience with vanguard was no worse than any mmo ive ever played. sure there was bugs and i fell through the world about 8 times out harvesting. Is that suppose to bother me when i once spent 1 1/2 months running AB in WOW falling through the world every time i got feared. And let me tell you for a person grinding grand marshal back than that was a major bug. World of warcraft was about 1 year old that wasnt the only long running bug that affected me either the other was a major bug too that took about 2 months for them to fix. Bugs happen in every game and I prefer to just play them for the things i like. Rather than concentrate on minor little bugs that happen in every game

Anyways performance has always been pretty good for me and i dont tweak for FPS like i should alot of things dont really make a big difference visually I could easly get this game to run like a champ but its fine on max settings for me.

• csthaocsthao Member UncommonPosts: 1,121
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

VG is an excellent PVE game more so if you have a good guild or friend to play with.
    I find the lack of class customisation a bit of a put off. There are some sliders, Int, Str, Wis, Dex etc but nothing concrete to make your class a bit different to others of the same class.

You can definitely be different compared to other people from you own class. There's 3 different armor sets (swamp armor) one focuses on defense, the other offense, and then the last set is a mix of both. And if that isnt enough you got crafted armor which you can go with a whole variety of stats. And if that isnt enough you got raid armor/weapons, on top of that you add crafting stats to raid armor/weapons.

There's a whole bunch of varieties. You can even mix and match em if you wanted.

Originally posted by boojiboy

Originally posted by FatGamer

I would love to get back into Vanguard. However, at the current back-burner state of the game with no promise of expansion or major content upgrades (at least in a timely fashion) it's hard to justify spending hours into a game that may just dissapear or even worse... left on life support.

Patheon of the Ancients, level cap increases and Alternate Abilities???  ......  Will be the biggest game update to date.

The game will be EQ3 once they add in AA's...Just imagine being able to 1 group raid bosses...A year later you can probably solo em...Pathetic...I played VG because it was "somewhat" different from EQ...

SoE has run out of ideas to make a game "immersive." They just copy and paste all that crap from EQ1 and add it into all of their MMO's now days...

Originally posted by boojiboy

Originally posted by FatGamer

I would love to get back into Vanguard. However, at the current back-burner state of the game with no promise of expansion or major content upgrades (at least in a timely fashion) it's hard to justify spending hours into a game that may just dissapear or even worse... left on life support.

Patheon of the Ancients, level cap increases and Alternate Abilities???  ......  Will be the biggest game update to date.

Think about what you just said and then compare it what other mmos have done in their games in the same 2+ year time span.  Saying something is the biggest when comparing it to itself hardly dismisses what fatgamer says. 

Love this game or hate it, the game does not have enough developer resources.  For some that is fine, but for many others that just means the game will not grow at a pace that is worthy of a time investment. 

5 more levels just means 5 more experience bars to fill.  That is not content.

Alternate advancement is just more experience bars to fill once you are done filling level experience bars.  That is not content.

Pantheon of the ancients is content, but how long has that been in the works now? 

Beyond that the majority of what you see in the game is a handful of zone revamps.  How long can the game keep that up before running out of areas to cannibilize?

This game is essentially on life support being operated by a skeleton crew.  If there is something to point to the oposite of that it would be refreshing news, but things are what they are. 

You're right for a 2+ year game, it deserves much more content then whats going to be added in...But consider this, EQ has expansions added in every 6 months...Thats just too much content too fast...People who raid are just going to be the ones that will keep up, catering to the raiding crowd and not the casuals.

I would've expected more updates/content, but if they pace themselves to be like EQ, I'd very much would hate that idea. This will give people time to grow into (with whats going to be added in) The economy will then still be steady, and not be extremely expensive the first time someone get their hands on something and is selling it.

Originally posted by neonwire

Originally posted by olepi

I just atarted  VG a few weeks ago, and I like it.  I play at 1920x1200 at max settings, and the game looks great! I like PVE, crafting, and the new diplomacy mini-games. I got invited to a nice guild, and have been having fun.

Here is a piece of advice for you to improve the visual look of the game which you might not know about yet. In the chat channel type /setfog 999999 and it removes the pointless fog effect from the game so you can see for miles. Now go into settings and set your view distance to maximum and also set a blur setting (cant remember the name of it now) to about halfway to give a blurred effect to things which are in the distance.

Doing this doesnt have any impact on the performance of the game. It all makes a big difference and I really have no idea why SOE even have the stupid fog setting in the game in the first place. They could easily remove it by having the /setfog 999999 thing activate every time a player logs in.

Fog is good in a way, try setfog 250,250,400...I think that should be it I havent played in a long while but thats the settings i used.

• SpacehappySpacehappy Member Posts: 8

I resubbed to Vg about 6 months ago, and got my wife involved, and to be honest if she had not quit (her slighy older machine had issues running it) i'd still be playing to together as a Paladin (me) and her a shaman, we did pretty much alot of content two person. Some of it was a challange some of it was easy.

When we did find a problem we found either the community or the GM's to be helpful in solving the issues (the Gm's would reset part of the zones if bosses or quest mobs were bugged). The game is really enjoyable, it takes time to learn your way about to. The crafting and diplomacy is good fun, espcially if your limited on game play log on get some craft jobs and bang away until you have to go or do some rep gringing with the diplomacy part.

Is the game perfect  - no - is it improving - yes - is there alot to do - yes - Will it get better oh most definatly.

Want to get from A to B without a long horrible run or swim - rent a flying mount this is only 10s, which is nothing in game (the mounts last 5 mins).

As a person who does not play but really, really enjoyes this game i would highly recommed you retrying just to get rid of those old VG demons.  But the community and the dev/gms in this game are one of the best out there. Or at least they were on the server i played on.

Stunted - Seradon Level 30ish Paladin :)

There is nothing in the dark that's not there in the light.

Originally posted by blueturtle13

I play Vanguard for the Dungeons. Best on the market to me. Most people who say they dont like it never have even seen the true strength of the game. The open beautiful world isnt the best thing about Vanguard. The sweetass dungeons are. There are over 30 dungeons for levels 20 and under. The game isnt this or isnt that but the Dungeons? Sweet. Bothers me when people talk so long with so many words about how much they dont like the game and why, yet havent even really played the game. It's ok to have an opinion about a game but at least have an educated one. 

Actually, ever since SoE took over, they made dungeons worse.

For the first 4 months or so I've been dungeon crawling with my brother and we've been to so many in our lower teens to the 30's. Then back when they gave out the free month trial to veterans, I came back to explore the very same dungeons, they SHRUNK the dungeon sizes considerably and changed the loot table.

For example, the Conlor Mines, it was massive, there were probably about 3 levels deep in the mountains. Now you got 2 levels with tons of deadends, and they reduced the boss mobs in there to about half. Misthaven mines also was lowered in size, everywhere you go they all lead to a deadend, before SoE touched it you can take a left turn at the entrance and end up coming from the right turn of the entrance. Hilsbury Manor, they still havent even finished the MAIN questline with Lord Talfyn. Thats 2 years ago! hello! I still have the powder needed to summon him and his 3 lovely wives ( I have screenshots of 1 of em and with Talfyn)

All the loot from the bosses in the Verdant Lurker headquarters have been deleted, also the quests that you can get at Veskel's exchange (collect so and so armor pieces turn in). I acutally made a living selling off these armor pieces back during the first month of release. I was able to collect ALL the armor sets (plate, chain (melee), chain (healers) and silk. Even the weapons they dropped. But now they've all but dissappeared, although I still have a set of each armor on my toons just for collector's sake. But selling these armors brought in TONS of money, I would go to Qalia or Kojan and make double the price I was selling in Thestra (because it dropped here)

For better or worse SoE shoulda left the world the way it was. They can change everything else, but for god's sake leave the dungeons alone!