Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OH NO.. SWG vets are flooding the SWTOR boards

12346»

Comments

• NinevenNineven Member UncommonPosts: 86
    Originally posted by Moaky07

Originally posted by Nineven

Originally posted by lornj

Originally posted by Abrahmm

im a veteran of the pre-cu days of swg and i didnt get pissed when they changed the game. whats all the fuss about?

Just because you played it, doesn't mean you loved it, and if you didn't love it, you will never understand.

<Mod Edit>

There is something wrong with you if you don't show any passion for a personal hobby. Go tell car guys to "get a life" for loving cars. Go tell gardeners to "get a life" for loving to be in the garden. Or maybe you should open your mind a little and stop being so damn ignorant.

with your rage against this game id say it is personal for you. and in that moment you failed.

Stop trolling and post something constructive.

So he loved a software program, big deal. Having a passion for something, anything, gives you inspiration in life. You don't have passions, loves, you fall into the category of every single drone in the world that works a job they hate and accepts it.

Veterans of SWG are still pissed, yeah. Why? Because SOE pushed them back to the stone age. SWG was probably the closest game anyone has ever played that tapped the surface of an alternate reality. You had one character, one life to live, the player's ultimate alter-ego was created here, and in no other game since. A lot of things I talk about and reference, people have no idea about, and I don't expect you to understand either. What I expect from you is to have a constructive debate instead of spouting off derogatories like you're in elementary school. Intelligent conversations make people smarter, it's a proven fact. I get it okay, you're a gamer who likes to use internet lingo, whatever man. Ask yourself who needs to get a life when you're adding absolutely nothing even remotely intelligent to a general forum topic.

He is trolling? You are defending someone whos panties got ruffled, thus turned to calling people names.

Mr Lincoln insults everyone around who doesnt agree with him. It isnt like this is the first post he has done it in.

SWG was a game for some disturbed individuals to role-play their lives in SW. It was nothing about a game....just some sick fantasy world that got shattered.

Who needs to get a life? The malcontents who cant get over it, and anyone else that condones their behavior.

I consider a troll anyone who doesn't directly talk about the forum topic discussion. That's just me.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to play a character in the Star Wars universe. it's fun, and can be a great stress-reducer for real life. A lot of people will agree that stepping out of your own shoes for a little while can be a healthy release.

The IMPORTANT thing however, is just how far you take it. I've known some people who couldn't bare not to play their precious SWG, and that's a problem. When the game starts dripping outside your real life leisure time, then you've got a problem. This happened to me, and I regret every second of play time I spent when I should've been working. I learned my lesson, and I'm over the combat upgrade deboggle and everything SWG, I've just got better things to worry about. I will agree that people just need to get over it and move on. At this point, I just hope that a game will be created that will blow me away as much as SWG initially did; I don't even care if it's Star Wars themed. I wouldn't say I'm losing sleep over it though.

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831

This conversation is ultimately pointless, both here and on the official forum.  BioWare has a unique way of designing RPGs that anyone familiar with their games should recognize in a heartbeat, and SWG Pre-CU (or post-CU for that matter) ain't it.

BioWare made it clear that the game was not going to be designed in the sandbox style even before we knew it was going to be Star Wars based.

While I enjoy sandbox games from time to time I don't think that's BioWare's strong point and I don't even want to see them try it.  I want them to do what they do best.  (If you want sandbox done, right wait for Bethesda's MMO)

1) Player Housing - Pointless, waste of resources, forces the developers to design the gameworld around the availability of public housing plots OR use instancing, and both alternatives are undesirable.  SWG's gameworld was ruined by player housing, ugly ugly ugly.  Again, if the game were going to be sandbox then fine, but it's NOT.  I expect BioWare will take their cue from Blizzard in this department (they've also refused to explore player housing for the very same reasons).

2) Player Crafting/Player Economy-  Fine, there's always room for crafting, and even Knights of the Old Republic had a crafting element to it.  What's not okay is for crafting to become an alternative to the story progression that is BioWare design philosophy, again that would be awkwardly forcing BioWare into a role they aren't familiar with.  Much better to have the crafting supplement the main game as in the KotOR series rather than becoming a game unto itself.  And I absolutely hated...HATED SWG's player economy.  At no point do I want to feel beholden to the crafting bots.

3) Non-combat classes/Entertainer-  Again, forcing BioWare to create a non-combat class with a storyline progression on par with the other classes would force BioWare to create a gameworld conducive to it which again goes against their stated design philosophy.  They worked in SWG because the gameworld's sandbox design was conducive to it.  No sandbox, no non-combat classes.

Please SWG people, do yourselves a huge favor and recognize that SW:TOR is not going to be your saving grace.  Just recognize it, it's not going to happen.  And it has nothing to do with whether or not Star Wars is the proper vehicle for a sandbox style game, SWG preCU proved it was.  It's just not BioWare's destiny to provide it.  I've been a fan of BioWare since the original Baldur's Gate and if they even tried to make SW:TOR a sandbox style game I would be pissed because it's not what I have come to expect and love with BioWare.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831

I am a SWG vet. I don't want anything that SOE did to touch Biowares game. In terms of reality TOR will mimic the EQWoW design. You will level. You will kill mobs. I speculate that the stories and gameplay will remind us of KOTOR, WoW,  and Guild Wars. Some of us will love it. Some of us will hate it. Overall who cares. 

• KorususKorusus Member UncommonPosts: 831
    Originally posted by Lateris

I am a SWG vet. I don't want anything that SOE did to touch Biowares game. In terms of reality TOR will mimic the EQWoW design. You will level. You will kill mobs. I speculate that the stories and gameplay will remind us of KOTOR, WoW,  and Guild Wars. Some of us will love it. Some of us will hate it. Overall who cares. 

It will mimic the EQ/WoW design, but only because EQ and cRPGs share a common heritage.  And since BioWare's specialty is cRPGs, I see no reason to expect them to design a sandbox game.  I expect I will love the game because I've yet to be disappointed by BioWare.

Here's what I expect from BioWare:  A strong story driven MMO with heavy focus on traditional cRPG elements often missing from modern MMOs.  No more, no less.

----------
    Life sucks, buy a helmet.

• ArcAngel3ArcAngel3 Member Posts: 2,931
    Originally posted by Lateris

Because it's StarWars, if it works, if it's fun, and if the business model isn't a cleverly disguised money pit, I'll play it ^_^.

I played a ton of StarWars games before SWG ever came out, and I hope to play a ton more.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096
    Originally posted by Korusus

This conversation is ultimately pointless, both here and on the official forum.  BioWare has a unique way of designing RPGs that anyone familiar with their games should recognize in a heartbeat, and SWG Pre-CU (or post-CU for that matter) ain't it.
    BioWare made it clear that the game was not going to be designed in the sandbox style even before we knew it was going to be Star Wars based.
    While I enjoy sandbox games from time to time I don't think that's BioWare's strong point and I don't even want to see them try it.  I want them to do what they do best.  (If you want sandbox done, right wait for Bethesda's MMO)
    1) Player Housing - Pointless, waste of resources, forces the developers to design the gameworld around the availability of public housing plots OR use instancing, and both alternatives are undesirable.  SWG's gameworld was ruined by player housing, ugly ugly ugly.  Again, if the game were going to be sandbox then fine, but it's NOT.  I expect BioWare will take their cue from Blizzard in this department (they've also refused to explore player housing for the very same reasons).
    2) Player Crafting/Player Economy-  Fine, there's always room for crafting, and even Knights of the Old Republic had a crafting element to it.  What's not okay is for crafting to become an alternative to the story progression that is BioWare design philosophy, again that would be awkwardly forcing BioWare into a role they aren't familiar with.  Much better to have the crafting supplement the main game as in the KotOR series rather than becoming a game unto itself.  And I absolutely hated...HATED SWG's player economy.  At no point do I want to feel beholden to the crafting bots.
    3) Non-combat classes/Entertainer-  Again, forcing BioWare to create a non-combat class with a storyline progression on par with the other classes would force BioWare to create a gameworld conducive to it which again goes against their stated design philosophy.  They worked in SWG because the gameworld's sandbox design was conducive to it.  No sandbox, no non-combat classes.
    Please SWG people, do yourselves a huge favor and recognize that SW:TOR is not going to be your saving grace.  Just recognize it, it's not going to happen.  And it has nothing to do with whether or not Star Wars is the proper vehicle for a sandbox style game, SWG preCU proved it was.  It's just not BioWare's destiny to provide it.  I've been a fan of BioWare since the original Baldur's Gate and if they even tried to make SW:TOR a sandbox style game I would be pissed because it's not what I have come to expect and love with BioWare.

Aye

Baldurs Gate and Diablo is what got me into PC gaming after years of console gaming going back to the late 70s/early 80s.

Diablo caught my eye, but BG truly opened them to how deep a PC game can be in comparison to console. Granted the newer consoles have come a long ways(I have been playing them again as of about 3 yrs ago).

When I ran out of various games back in 99/00 on PC, I found this little game called EQ. That changed everything once again.

Havning completed KOTOR, BG 1 + 2, NWN and all expansions cept 2 online ones, parts of Jade Empire and Mass Effect, I cant wait to see BW in the KOTOR universe again. A lot of questions were left from KOTOR 2(obsidion), and this should have some awesome lore.

I wish the SWG folks would go play BG, and see how involved it was. I have a couple of current games going speaking of which, although I have left them sit a while. Think I am just completing all the stuff from Chap 2 in BG2 and about to rescue IMoen, and in BG I think my game was somewhere down around that castle that come with ToSC expansion.

Action/adventure/story is where it is at with BW, and it makes them my fav company because of it. "Sqeaky wheel kicks the kick" so to speak. :)

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• todeswulftodeswulf Member Posts: 715

The SWG Vets (hate that term these guys are Veterans of nothing but crying) need to get it through their heads that Bioware pretty much loathes and detest them.....just look at how they react every time one starts shooting his mouth off on the Official forums or at a Q & A. These guys need to just shut up and sit down because SWTOR will have nothing that they are looking for.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Sounds to me like the official site needs some better moderators. I know that isn't tolerated on the STO site or any other site that is well moderated.The minute a "Make this game PRE-CU" or "Make this game sandbox" thread comes up it should be immediately shut down by the moderator. If those posters continue with that behavior they should be banned.The Devs have already said what the game will be and it isn't going to be pre-cu swg or a sandbox. Case closed.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

Originally posted by Moaky07

im a veteran of the pre-cu days of swg and i didnt get pissed when they changed the game. whats all the fuss about?

Just because you played it, doesn't mean you loved it, and if you didn't love it, you will never understand.

<Mod Edit>

There is something wrong with you if you don't show any passion for a personal hobby. Go tell car guys to "get a life" for loving cars. Go tell gardeners to "get a life" for loving to be in the garden. Or maybe you should open your mind a little and stop being so damn ignorant.

with your rage against this game id say it is personal for you. and in that moment you failed.

Stop trolling and post something constructive.

So he loved a software program, big deal. Having a passion for something, anything, gives you inspiration in life. You don't have passions, loves, you fall into the category of every single drone in the world that works a job they hate and accepts it.

Veterans of SWG are still pissed, yeah. Why? Because SOE pushed them back to the stone age. SWG was probably the closest game anyone has ever played that tapped the surface of an alternate reality. You had one character, one life to live, the player's ultimate alter-ego was created here, and in no other game since. A lot of things I talk about and reference, people have no idea about, and I don't expect you to understand either. What I expect from you is to have a constructive debate instead of spouting off derogatories like you're in elementary school. Intelligent conversations make people smarter, it's a proven fact. I get it okay, you're a gamer who likes to use internet lingo, whatever man. Ask yourself who needs to get a life when you're adding absolutely nothing even remotely intelligent to a general forum topic.

He is trolling? You are defending someone whos panties got ruffled, thus turned to calling people names.

Mr Lincoln insults everyone around who doesnt agree with him. It isnt like this is the first post he has done it in.

SWG was a game for some disturbed individuals to role-play their lives in SW. It was nothing about a game....just some sick fantasy world that got shattered.

Who needs to get a life? The malcontents who cant get over it, and anyone else that condones their behavior.

I consider a troll anyone who doesn't directly talk about the forum topic discussion. That's just me.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to play a character in the Star Wars universe. it's fun, and can be a great stress-reducer for real life. A lot of people will agree that stepping out of your own shoes for a little while can be a healthy release.

The IMPORTANT thing however, is just how far you take it. I've known some people who couldn't bare not to play their precious SWG, and that's a problem. When the game starts dripping outside your real life leisure time, then you've got a problem. This happened to me, and I regret every second of play time I spent when I should've been working. I learned my lesson, and I'm over the combat upgrade deboggle and everything SWG, I've just got better things to worry about. I will agree that people just need to get over it and move on. At this point, I just hope that a game will be created that will blow me away as much as SWG initially did; I don't even care if it's Star Wars themed. I wouldn't say I'm losing sleep over it though.

I appreciate your support Nineven, but there are a few people on this forum that aren't even worth discussing things with. I mean lornj's argument turned into "You failed" and then he tried to tell me I had run out of things to say... Priceless. There are quite a few others on here just like that, which I'm sure you can witness in this very thread.

Frankly, I'm really amazed at some of the things being said in this thread, but then again it is being said by those said people, so I guess I shouldn't be. I can't believe some of them can't understand a love for something. Is this generation so shallow and dense that they have even lost the ability to have passion? Sad reallly.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

Originally posted by ktanner3

Sounds to me like the official site needs some better moderators. I know that isn't tolerated on the STO site or any other site that is well moderated.The minute a "Make this game PRE-CU" or "Make this game sandbox" thread comes up it should be immediately shut down by the moderator. If those posters continue with that behavior they should be banned.The Devs have already said what the game will be and it isn't going to be pre-cu swg or a sandbox. Case closed.

Yes you are right. Lets make sure the moderators close down all opinions on a public board designed for posting opinions if those opinions don't match yours. You would make a very good dictator, I must say.

• KatrarKatrar Member Posts: 168

That this is even being discussed is silly.

The antithesis of a story or quest based MMO (or any game really) is a sandbox.

The ANTITHESIS.

Like... the polar opposite.

As in... you can't get further from.

And Bioware has made it abundantly and crystal clear that they intend to not only make SWTOR a story based game, but they intend to make it more story based than any MMO in history has ever attempted.

So.... uh... I understand that people hold on to their cherished (SWG) memories... but if this isn't setting yourselves up for huge disappointment I don't know what is. This would be like taking your wife to a monster truck rally on her birthday. Huge disappointment (hers, if I need to clarify that ).

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

I've met some of those vets from SWG and I think their

wives might like a Monster Truck Rally.

Couple of the ladies I know that used to play, a Monster Truck is about all that would carry them...

Originally posted by Katrar

The ANTITHESIS.
    And Bioware has made it abundantly and crystal clear that they intend to not only make SWTOR a story based game, but they intend to make it more story based than any MMO in history has ever attempted.
    So.... uh... I understand that people hold on to their cherished (SWG) memories... but if this isn't setting yourselves up for huge disappointment I don't know what is. This would be like taking your wife to a monster truck rally on her birthday. Huge disappointment (hers, if I need to clarify that ).

Why are people so closed minded that they can't even imagine anything different than what they have already seen? What magical limitation is preventing any game from having mechanics that allow people to do anything, like a sandbox, and optional stories/quests, like a quest based MMO? It's all about options. No, a standard quest based MMO that FORCES you to quest is no where near and never could be a sandbox. But add in that same content as an option, and give people the tools to make their own content if they so wish, and bam, you have a combination of both that could make both crowds happy.

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341

Whats so wrong about posting what you would like to see in the game? Don't you think it is possible to take the great things that were there in the original Galaxies and incorporate some of the finer aspects into the game your creating?I for one agree that Pre-Cu had its faults,but not all of it was bad.They say that Kotor Online is shooting for a very deep immersive storyline,so it sounds like to me they could add some of the immersive elements galaxies had into that storyline like the way galaxies made you feel you were unique in that universe.What I am looking for in a new Sta Wars game is not another Galaxies all over again,or anither Iconic game like NGE.I am looking for a game that will be immersive and bug free.I like what they are doing so far,time will tell.Bashing Galaxy vets for adding their opinions is not productive.

• KatrarKatrar Member Posts: 168

Originally posted by Katrar

The ANTITHESIS.

Why are people so closed minded that they can't even imagine anything different than what they have already seen? What magical limitation is preventing any game from having mechanics that allow people to do anything, like a sandbox, and optional stories/quests, like a quest based MMO? It's all about options. No, a standard quest based MMO that FORCES you to quest is no where near and never could be a sandbox. But add in that same content as an option, and give people the tools to make their own content if they so wish, and bam, you have a combination of both that could make both crowds happy.

Ok, you asked, so I'll say it. There is no metaphysical restriction on such a game. It is possible for a game to be designed that accomodates every playstyle. Players that are not fanatics in one direction or another would love such a game to death. I would. That would be the greatest game ever. However, if we as consumers have learned one thing over the past decade+ of MMO releases, its that developers have a hard enough time just getting a niche game right. I don't think that TOR is going to go through its entire development cycle, be released, and we poof magically discover that not only have they made an awesome story telling MMO but unknown to everyone they have also secretly coded all these other myriad systems and gameplay styles and in-so-doing created the perfect game for everyone.

We have to go off what has been released in order to gauge what this game is going to be. And everything thus far indicates it will not be sandbox even in the slightest. I'm just being a realist.

If that perfect mesh of PVE/PVP/Sandbox/Crafting/Political/Social/etc ever gets made, and its good, we'll all sing halleluja. But until then, its an unrealized ideal that SWTOR is not (to our knowledge) intended to confront.

Originally posted by ktanner3

Yes you are right. Lets make sure the moderators close down all opinions on a public board designed for posting opinions if those opinions don't match yours. You would make a very good dictator, I must say.

That's not what I'm saying and you know it. Most game sites don't allow the behavior that you and others like you do here. When a game has already stated what direction it is going in and you continue turn every discussion into the opposite or start threads in that manner, then you are by very definition trolling. That's how it goes on every website that is well moderated. That's why posters like you,Starbuck and warrior don't last long on a game's official site.Not to mention your little antic of  name calling and insutling others who disagree with you. Your little antics of whining about SWG wouldn't last two seconds on the STO website, WOW website or any other.

I appreciate your support Nineven, but there are a few people on this forum that aren't even worth discussing things with. I mean lornj's argument turned into "You failed" and then he tried to tell me I had run out of things to say... Priceless. There are quite a few others on here just like that, which I'm sure you can witness in this very thread.
    Frankly, I'm really amazed at some of the things being said in this thread, but then again it is being said by those said people, so I guess I shouldn't be. I can't believe some of them can't understand a love for something. Is this generation so shallow and dense that they have even lost the ability to have passion? Sad reallly.

No we have lots of passion. We just choose to direct it at real people and not objects,plants or video games. We aren't drama queens whose whole life was shattered when the video game we was playing changed. The more mature of us stopped giving money to that company and moved on. That's what SANE people do.

• SurfriderSurfrider Member UncommonPosts: 302

Locked:  Personal attacks and off-topic posts.

This discussion has been closed.