Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What will REALLY be in game

13»

Comments

• soassoas Member Posts: 14

If I was a klingon I would totally prey on the weak and feast upon the broken halls of their cities. They have never been known as soft when it comes down to this, nor have they ever really wished to rely on any other strength but their own. In time we might see them team up to fight the borg, or other species, but to create a new race.... that is tempting fate right their. What is worst then the borg or species 8472?

It would be more dangerous a the moment to create a new race, then to ease people into the game, then perhaps later add it to the cannon. There are still a few races out their that have had cameo at best, but were quite dangerous. May be in time we will see them emerge with a full armada ready to take what they want, or use diplomacy to steal it all.

• elionbelelionbel Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by soas

It would be more dangerous a the moment to create a new race, then to ease people into the game, then perhaps later add it to the cannon. There are still a few races out their that have had cameo at best, but were quite dangerous. May be in time we will see them emerge with a full armada ready to take what they want, or use diplomacy to steal it all.

But you could totally create a new race with your friends, share the race data (it's mentioned you can do this) so that all of you can have the same racial stuff, then you can populate a world when you discover it and name it your own!! 

>^.^<

• OsiasOsias Member Posts: 14

Populate new worlds.

....all i can think of now are Caitians...going like rabbits.

Thanks muchly.

• EvilCustardEvilCustard Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Osias

Populate new worlds.

Thanks muchly.

hahahaha. made me lol. im thoroughly looking foward to seeing if i can make a Cardassian, doubt it though.

• Xodus316Xodus316 Member Posts: 12
    Originally posted by EvilCustard

Originally posted by Osias

Populate new worlds.

Thanks muchly.

hahahaha. made me lol. im thoroughly looking foward to seeing if i can make a Cardassian, doubt it though.

Most canon ST races should be available in the character creator at launch. You'll be able to make a Cardassian, or a Romulan, and still probably be able to join Federation or Klingon Empire.

• ShaheedShaheed Member Posts: 8

This is actually a very good collection of important and interesting info/vids. They got me excited when I first saw them, but anyone interested in the game should watch the vids and they'll make you more than interested. Rock on!

Ibby1kanobi

• James_CookJames_Cook Member Posts: 8
    Originally posted by infofront

What they're saying is that technically, there will be interiors. i.e., you might see small sections of the ship's bridge, or you will see the interior of a cave on away missions, but you won't be able to actually walk around your ship or do anything cool.

you will still be able to do social stuff aboard your ship. At least thats how I understand it :)

• wolfingwolfing Member UncommonPosts: 149

I just want to be a Romulan, I wonder how long it'll take them for that, as I understand there will only be 2 factions to start, Federation and Klingons

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I have a question about starship combat.

Can you disable/destroy seperate systems from a ship? Like disable just the engines so it wont go anywhere? Or just the weapons etc? Meaning that those systems also have seperate targetting rectangles on a ship?

Or is it just one ship, one 'hp'bar with buffs, like with mobs on a planetsurface?

• RevthoughtRevthought Member Posts: 120
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Added new information about cloaking
    "And in regard to cloaking, the Federation will not have free access to the technology. If we gave the Federation access to cloaking, it’s all anyone would use, and that’s not the type of gameplay we envision when we think of Star Trek. Klingons, of course, will have access to cloaking, and the Federation will have access to cloak detection. Science vessels will be very good at detecting cloaked ships, so if you’re in a PvP situation, you’re probably going to want really good science vessels on your team. You won’t feel like you’re missing out on the Federation side just because you can’t cloak.
    That said, there probably will be circumstances where Federation players will receive limited access to a cloaking device. But it’s not going to be something Federation players can hold onto.
    And yes, these are things that we also debated a lot internally. : )
    "

Yeah, just too bad it makes no sense given the cannon. The facts as they are, the federation HAS cloaking technology, it just can't use it in the alpha quadrant due to treaty obligations with the Romulans.

But then of course we have this ridiculous "Federation/Klingon War," which in and of it self pretty much takes a giant crap on 18 years of cannon, because the Federation comes to the aid of the Romulans.

So you're telling me the Romulans, now defended by the Federation to the point of full scale war against the Klingons, still won't let the Federation have cloaking devices?

You see THIS crap is why video games based on good ips always end up screwing over the ip. At least Bioware could pretty much preserve Star Wars cannon by setting the game in the "Old Republic."

Originally posted by xuiton

I find it really stupid that the federation and klingons are enemies again. I also find it bizzarre that they decided to destroy Romulus stupidly as a plot device for the new movie. Surely they could of thought of something better?!

So with the Romulians and cardassians out for the count it only leaves the federation and klingons left. If they actually looked at DS9 or even the next generation, these two 'factions' would not of become enemies in 30 years time. Also the klingon empire was mostly likely not a match for the federation before the dominon war and the klingons took alot more casualties which would of left them screwed for 30 years or even more.
    Surley they could of just made up new enemies? (btw the klingons eventually join the federation)
    Sorry wanted to rant about this lol.

Amen brother. Destroying the Romulans on the real ST time-line while simultaneously establishing a time-line where Vulcan was destroyed irritated me to no end. I'm equally irritated about making Klingons and the Federation enemies again.

That said, the bit about the Klingons joining the Federation isn't entirely accurate. As I recall that was one possible time-line that was detailed in Enterprise. My impression here was that Archer changes the time-line with all of his time travel shinanigens (they NEVER should have derived so much plot from time travel for this show). In any case, as Star Trek cannon has made abundantly clear: in the Star Trek Universe the infinite possible universes interpretation of quantum theory is the case. This means that time-lines are constantly diverging and that the Klingons as part of the Federation is just one of those infinite actualizations.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

In this context, the word used should be "canon", not "cannon".

TY.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Thank you for the correction, good sir. I'm too lazy to implement this change, however.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Revthought

Originally posted by xuiton

I find it really stupid that the federation and klingons are enemies again. I also find it bizzarre that they decided to destroy Romulus stupidly as a plot device for the new movie. Surely they could of thought of something better?!

So with the Romulians and cardassians out for the count it only leaves the federation and klingons left. If they actually looked at DS9 or even the next generation, these two 'factions' would not of become enemies in 30 years time. Also the klingon empire was mostly likely not a match for the federation before the dominon war and the klingons took alot more casualties which would of left them screwed for 30 years or even more.
    Surley they could of just made up new enemies? (btw the klingons eventually join the federation)
    Sorry wanted to rant about this lol.

Amen brother. Destroying the Romulans on the real ST time-line while simultaneously establishing a time-line where Vulcan was destroyed irritated me to no end. I'm equally irritated about making Klingons and the Federation enemies again.

It happened on DS9 in season 4 and lasted for a whole season and had some great episodes. Due to the warrior nature of the Klingons it makes perfect sense. The Federation thinks everyone can change their nature and peacefully coexist with everyone, but that just doesn't happen.

That said, the bit about the Klingons joining the Federation isn't entirely accurate. As I recall that was one possible time-line that was detailed in Enterprise. My impression here was that Archer changes the time-line with all of his time travel shinanigens (they NEVER should have derived so much plot from time travel for this show). In any case, as Star Trek cannon has made abundantly clear: in the Star Trek Universe the infinite possible universes interpretation of quantum theory is the case. This means that time-lines are constantly diverging and that the Klingons as part of the Federation is just one of those infinite actualizations.

You're going to have to point to the episode in question because I watched Enterprise and never saw any of what you were talking about. There was the two part episode in season 4 that explained the human type Klingons but that didn't involve time travel. And if Klingons joining the Federation isn't suppose to happen then how do you explain Worf joining starfleet?

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Can we just agree that the designers of this game didn't take into account the full breadth of what Star Trek is and leave it at that?

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

I believe it was the episode of Enterprise that involved the Enterprise J.

Yeah, just looked it up. You can find it here memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Enterprise_J

I believe the involved Enterprise episodes were "Azati Prime" and "The Council" or some such.

Oh, and one more thing:

Worf is a Klingon in Starfleet, but that isn't the same as the Klingon Empire being part of the United Federation of Planets.

I'm going to get really geeky here, but just to clarify, Worf's Klingon family was killed at Khitomer. Worf ends up rescued by the Federation and is raised by human foster parents on Earth. THAT is how Worf ends up in Starfleet. Even then if you are familiar with TNG, which I assume you are, you know that it was a big deal that there was a single Klingon in Starfleet.

-R

Oh, and one more thing:

1.)Worf is a Klingon in Starfleet, but that isn't the same as the Klingon Empire being part of the United Federation of Planets.

2.)I'm going to get really geeky here, but just to clarify, Worf's Klingon family was killed at Khitomer. Worf ends up rescued by the Federation and is raised by human foster parents on Earth. THAT is how Worf ends up in Starfleet. Even then if you are familiar with TNG, which I assume you are, you know that it was a big deal that there was a single Klingon in Starfleet.

-R

1.) Huh? You've lost me with that statement. The Klingon Empire is seperate from the Federation in both the series and the coming game.

2.) That doesn't change the fact that he was there and mutes the point you were making. As to the episode in question I'll have to watch it sometime because it must have been in the third season which I mostly skipped because the show had become so horrible.

1.) Huh? You've lost me with that statement. The Klingon Empire is seperate from the Federation in both the series and the coming game.

2.) That doesn't change the fact that he was there and mutes the point you were making. As to the episode in question I'll have to watch it sometime because it must have been in the third season which I mostly skipped because the show had become so horrible.

1.) You are confusing yourself then. I responded to Xiotan, who had said that the Klingons eventually join the Federation. This was "true" according to the two Enterprise episodes I linked.

*I* argued that it wasn't necessarily the case that the Klingons would join the Federation--pointing out that it was merely one possible time line.

You came along and asked if the Klingons weren't supposed to be in the federation, how do you explain Worf. The implication of this statement was that Worf shows that the Kligons were supposed to be in Starfleet. I was just pointing out the distinction between a Klingon in Starfleet and the entire Klingon empire in the UFP; However, since you recognize that they're separate and have always been, I really am failing to see what your point is, or WHAT we're even discussing.

2.) Doesn't change the fact who was where? And what point was I trying to make that was muted? You've really REALLY confused me. :P

1.) You are confusing yourself then. I responded to Xiotan, who had said that the Klingons eventually join the Federation. This was "true" according to the two Enterprise episodes I linked.

*I* argued that it wasn't necessarily the case that the Klingons would join the Federation--pointing out that it was merely one possible time line.

You came along and asked if the Klingons weren't supposed to be in the federation, how do you explain Worf. The implication of this statement was that Worf shows that the Kligons were supposed to be in Starfleet. I was just pointing out the distinction between a Klingon in Starfleet and the entire Klingon empire in the UFP; However, since you recognize that they're separate and have always been, I really am failing to see what your point is, or WHAT we're even discussing.

2.) Doesn't change the fact who was where? And what point was I trying to make that was muted? You've really REALLY confused me. :P

LOL. Obviously we both agree that the Klingon Empire and the Federation are seperate. A klingon could join starfleet if he/she wanted to but it would be highly unlikely since they are a warrior race. You are correct in that it was probably an alternate timeline, just like the events we saw in "All Good Things" was a different time line that we now know didn't happen.(Date died, Riker and Troi got married etc.)

Enterprise screwed many things up IMO EG:Vulcans who lied, Archer escaping Rura Penthe,contact between humans and ferengi...The fourth season was the best one because they finally got someone to run the show who respected the series, but by then it was too late. And don't get me started on that abortion of a finale called "These are the Voyages"

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Enterprise screwed many things up IMO EG:Vulcans who lied,
    Well, Spock lied plenty of times. I guess he doesn't count because he was half-Human?
    Archer escaping Rura Penthe,contact between humans and ferengi...The fourth season was the best one because they finally got someone to run the show who respected the series, but by then it was too late. And don't get me started on that abortion of a finale called "These are the Voyages"

I agree that the fourth season was the best, and I was sorry to see the show end. The 'Dallas' style ending wasn't very satisfying, yeah.

It's very ironic of you to point to someone running the show who respected the series, because it's pretty damned clear that Cryptic doesn't.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Enterprise screwed many things up IMO EG:Vulcans who lied,
    Well, Spock lied plenty of times. I guess he doesn't count because he was half-Human?
    Archer escaping Rura Penthe,contact between humans and ferengi...The fourth season was the best one because they finally got someone to run the show who respected the series, but by then it was too late. And don't get me started on that abortion of a finale called "These are the Voyages"

I agree that the fourth season was the best, and I was sorry to see the show end. The 'Dallas' style ending wasn't very satisfying, yeah.

It's very ironic of you to point to someone running the show who respected the series, because it's pretty damned clear that Cryptic doesn't.

To each his own. I don't see how they are disrespecting the series in any way. Maybe after I've actually played the game I will be able to find what you are talking about.I seem to recall the Starfleet Command series being very popular, yet I don't remember many complaints about federation ships firing missiles,races that didn't exist, or the many other things that violated trek canon with those games. They were fun to play and many trek fans seemed to enjoy them for many years along with Starfleet Battles, which the games were based on. 

• SnakesSnakes Member Posts: 68

Okay, so I actually haven't read through this entire article - but I did browse through it and read parts of it, as such I've noticed it wasn't really mentioned.

The players really want to be able to walk about their ship, that's part of the experience. Yes there will probably be plenty of interiors and no doubtally there will be your entire ship (or at least key sections ie Bridge, Engineering, Sick Bay, Mess Hall, ect.) just not right now probably later - Cryptic is probably more focused on game mechanics over cosmetic designs (but they aren't ignoreing the cosmetics).

On the official Star Trek Online page, Cryptic did make an announcment - and by going through all of this thread it seems to be a key thing people are looking for... Cryptic realized that STO didn't feel like Star Trek without the Bridges, they were going to add interiors later but on launch you WILL be able to customize your ship's bridge and you WILL be able to walk about it (however it is more so acting like a social hub more then anything).

So, embrace my fellow roleplayers and embrace my fellow trekkies - we shall have our bridge and that center seat will be truly visible for us. =)

• crunchie12crunchie12 Member Posts: 2

•Yes; definitely. [LVWc]

•Open PvP only in designated areas (both space and planetside).[AC3] Consensual PvP in contested areas. [OFAQ]

•PvP is in-between the factions, but there may be wargames/dueling within factions. [JE1]

•The UFP-KE Neutral Zone will be "static", but areas near it will change affiliation depending on who's winning

All of this is not in and wont be at launch- the only pvp is a choice of about 6-7 ground/space scen that are very basic.