Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Common Sense Tip #1

I have been playing MMORPG's for a long time, I have seen a lot come and go. I know you really don't give a crap about me so I am going to get to the point. Some MMORPG's sink because of poor business choices. It does not matter how amazing your game is, if you are a complete and utter moron when it comes to business then you wont succeed.

So, in the spirit of poking fun at business choices some of the development compies make. I am going to create a thread called common sense tips. So if you ever go into the mmorpg business, use these little tips to improve your customer service and overall business.

Common Sense Tip #1: Use Paypal

The days of grabbing people's credit cards for mmorpg's are at an end. Sure people still use their credit cards to subscribe to games, not everyone has a credit card though. Even if you have a credit card you might have a thousand blackmarks on your credit rating (like me).

Paypal is great. You don't have to use your credit card at all. You can have it directly withdrawn from your bank account. I am sure you all know about paypal, so why do companies like SOE who have a good amount of mmorpg's not use Paypal? Hell I don't know. It seems illogical, the more methods of payment, the better. This way the younger crowd can also get in on the mmorpg fun.

So, to conclude. Don't be a moron, offer Paypal.

Comments

• ChamberlainChamberlain Member Posts: 103

1.)  If you're too young to have a credit card, you are too young to play MMORPGs.  Please do your homework, mow the lawn, or whatever it is children are supposed to be doing besides socializing in online games with adults.  Failure to follow this rule results in the following http://tinyurl.com/cfn36r

2.)  If you have that many black marks on your credit cards, maybe finding a way to fund a MMORPG habit isn't your biggest problem.

3.)  The MMORPG industry needs alot of things right now.  What it does not need, is more young players.  In fact, it needs none.

Science flies people to the moon. Religion flies people into buildings.

• FibsdkFibsdk Member Posts: 1,112

Most game companies have to search for an outside funding source. It's that source that forces these games to be released too early by closing their funding. These money men don't just write a blank check for the game companies to fill out themselves. They give them funds graduately and basically control the process and time limits.

As for paypal. I can see how non US countries would benefit from it. But these days most MMO's have prepaid game cards. If you live in the US you can go into any Office Max, wallmart, Wallgreens, Target etc etc etc and buy yourself a prepaid credit card that works just as well as a real credit card. I have used them on several occations in MMO's when i didn't feel like having my card charged. So i can't see where you are coming from.

Sure some of these game companies are victims of poor business choices but that's how it is when a game giant like Blizzard shows the game industry that there are actual 11 million people willing to play MMO's. Now everybody wants a piece of that pie no matter if they are able to even establish a solid successful game platform or not.

One of my biggest pet peeves with MMO's is the fact that they offer so many alternative ways of paying for them IE prepaid game cards. Now every 12 year old kid can enter a store and buy them. If only credit cards were allowed we wouldn't see so many annoying kids in the MMO's today. And before i get quoted by some retard saying they can just "borrow" from mom and dad, know that i have been there before prepaid cards. Kids were scarce back then. The ones you saw were the lucky ones that could persuade mom and dad. Most parents i know do not allow their cards to have a monthly draw. I believe that eliminating alternative pament methods would also eliminate a big kiddy usergroup. I honestly wouldn't care if some adults were hurt by it too. Acceptable collateral damage

• XxSyCxXXxSyCxX Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Chamberlain

1.)  If you're too young to have a credit card, you are too young to play MMORPGs.  Please do your homework, mow the lawn, or whatever it is children are supposed to be doing besides socializing in online games with adults.  Failure to follow this rule results in the following http://tinyurl.com/cfn36r

2.)  If you have that many black marks on your credit cards, maybe finding a way to fund a MMORPG habit isn't your biggest problem.

3.)  The MMORPG industry needs alot of things right now.  What it does not need, is more young players.  In fact, it needs none.

Well aren't you just the hottest thing to ever grace a soap box. 

• LocklainLocklain Member Posts: 2,154
    Originally posted by XxSyCxX

Originally posted by Chamberlain

Well aren't you just the hottest thing to ever grace a soap box. 

Not too sure what prompted your response.  He has a few good points, all except not allowing kids to play games.  There is an age stamped on them for a reason though. 

Rule #1 of common sense:  It is the least common of all the senses.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
  • XxSyCxXXxSyCxX Member Posts: 29

Just seems that he is a tad bit of an elitist.  Maybe it was just the wording.  Though you have to understand, there is a huge difference between younger children playing mmo's and a 16 year old wanting to play them.  That older teen is still at the mercy of his/her parent's credit.

Just seems that he is a tad bit of an elitist.  Maybe it was just the wording.  Though you have to understand, there is a huge difference between younger children playing mmo's and a 16 year old wanting to play them.  That older teen is still at the mercy of his/her parent's credit.

Debit cards are open to anyone that can get a checking account.  I started mowing lawns when I was 12 years old and had a checking by the time I was 13.  I don't remember if I had a debit card at that time or not but I was definitely playing Everquest.

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand

Most 16 year olds are equally as annoying as 12 year olds when you run into them in MMO's. This is my experience with the majority of teens i have come across over the years.

Originally posted by Fibsdk

Most 16 year olds are equally as annoying as 12 year olds when you run into them in MMO's. This is my experience with the majority of teens i have come across over the years. Since just a handful has been different doesn't mean it isn't a correct generalization.

Age has no bearing on maturity, as these boards often show.  There are equally as many irritating adults as there are children, sometimes having children come off as more mature than the adults. 

It's a Jeep thing. . .
    _______
    |___image|
    \_______/
    = image||||||image =
    |X| \*........*/ |X|
    |X|_________|X|
    You wouldn't understand
    Originally posted by Locklain

Most 16 year olds are equally as annoying as 12 year olds when you run into them in MMO's. This is my experience with the majority of teens i have come across over the years. Since just a handful has been different doesn't mean it isn't a correct generalization.

Age has no bearing on maturity, as these boards often show.  There are equally as many irritating adults as there are children, sometimes having children come off as more mature than the adults. 

I disagree from my own standpoint since i ofc can't speak for how you see things.

My experience in MMO's is different. Both from EQ1 and later Vanguard. The reason i bring those up is because EQ1 did not have prepaid cards the first 1-2 years. As far as i know vanguard never had prepaid cards.  My experience with these two games were gamers with an average age of 20+. Much more pleasant and mature communities then lets say WoW?. So even though a few individual aduls may have be annoying does not make up for how many teen pests out there that has completely ruined the maturity level of good MMO's. No there isn't equally as many annoying immature adults. Far from it. My personal experiences with the different communities ingame and out of games has shown different.

I have seen enough of both sides of the fence to know what you say to be untrue.

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

I disagree from my own standpoint since i ofc can't speak for how you see things.

My experience in MMO's is different. Both from EQ1 and later Vanguard. The reason i bring those up is because EQ1 did not have prepaid cards the first 1-2 years. As far as i know vanguard never had prepaid cards.  My experience with these two games were gamers with an average age of 20+. Much more pleasant and mature communities then lets say WoW?. So even though a few individual aduls may have be annoying does not make up for how many teen pests out there that has completely ruined the maturity level of good MMO's. No there isn't equally as many annoying immature adults. Far from it. My personal experiences with the different communities ingame and out of games has shown different.

I have seen enough of both sides of the fence to know what you say to be untrue.

Obviously, this debate's been going on since the beginning of MMOs. It's natural to link maturity, or lack thereof, with age. So from your experience, older people are more mature. Generally, that's true, but you have no way of telling someone's age over the Internet. Vocabulary is immaterial because there are sites like Dictionary.com. Knowledge competition? Out the window too: Google. Everyone here has a 10 year Master's Degree in Smartness, or some such crap. Sure, there are a few honest ones, and you can generally tell by their post history and tendencies, not by a couple of encounters.

Could you guess my age from this post? No, but I bet you could from my post history. If you were to guess my age just by this post, you'd probably say I was definitely above 20. Good grammar and no misspelled () words tend to suggest, for most people, someone's maturity level. Of course, that inaccurate as well. i culd type like this any time i wanted to,just cus its easier

Children could certainly be more mature than adults. If you're arguing that it's not common or it doesn't occur as frequently as mature adults, then you are probably on to something.

• lttexxanlttexxan Member UncommonPosts: 429

Your signature tells me all I need to know regarding your age. Any idiot that is unable to spell "the" is an illiterate moron.

It's better to lurk in forums and be thought a fool...than to endlessly "Quote" and remove all doubts.

Originally posted by Bruticus_XI

Obviously, this debate's been going on since the beginning of MMOs. It's natural to link maturity, or lack thereof, with age. So from your experience, older people are more mature. Generally, that's true, but you have no way of telling someone's age over the Internet. Vocabulary is immaterial because there are sites like Dictionary.com. Knowledge competition? Out the window too: Google. Everyone here has a 10 year Master's Degree in Smartness, or some such crap. Sure, there are a few honest ones, and you can generally tell by their post history and tendencies, not by a couple of encounters.

Could you guess my age from this post? No, but I bet you could from my post history. If you were to guess my age just by this post, you'd probably say I was definitely above 20. Good grammar and no misspelled () words tend to suggest, for most people, someone's maturity level. Of course, that inaccurate as well. i culd type like this any time i wanted to,just cus its easier

Children could certainly be more mature than adults. If you're arguing that it's not common or it doesn't occur as frequently as mature adults, then you are probably on to something.

Arguing if kids are as mature as adults or adults are as mature as kids is an excersize in futility. You don't have to look very far to know such a postulation is absurd. There is a reason why we have things such as sexual legal age, legal age of drinking, legal age of driving basically being legal for anything. It doesn't matter if you can find two or three kids that show more maturity than adults that behave like children. This is clearly not a good way to show me i am wrong. Kids are immature by definition.

Now we can argue all day if 16 year olds in general are as mature as adults. I say no based on my experiences in and out of games. Verifying is irrelevant ..kids = immature ..kids in games = immature. It doesn't matter if legalas the mighty ranger tells me he is 16 when he really is 45 or vise versa. it doesn't change the fact that kids by definition are more immature than adults. Just because they flick the switch on their computer doesn't transform them into a logically thinking adult.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Just because they flick the switch on their computer doesn't transform them into a logically thinking adult.

Good thing MMO's really don't require much in the way of logical thinking to enjoy them.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon