Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game suggestions for ex-FFXI player....besides WoW

mochipixelsmochipixels Member UncommonPosts: 144

I'm at a loss.  I had played FFXI since it was first released on PS2 until about 2 years ago.   I have since played WoW, LOTRO, Age of Conan, EVE, and City of Heroes/Villains and haven't really found a game that grabbed me as much as FFXI did.  Maybe it was the friends I had or the story/campaign or just because it was Final Fantasy(sort of).

I am simply wondering if any former FFXI players have moved on to any of the newer crop of mmos, and what any reccommendations are.   I did play WoW for about 2 years and finally got bored of it and EVE was amazing, but I think it was just too much for me in the end....it happens I guess. 

I realize everyone has their own tastes when it comes to mmos, and I'm not looking to start a forum battle between warring game tastes.  Instead I'm just looking for feedback and suggestions--as my title states.  Any and all input is greatly apprectiated and I would love to hear your little reasons for why you went to the game(s) you now play after leaving FFXI.  Please no snide remarks or fanboyisms...just seeking some real, solid input!

Thank you all in advance!!

Comments

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

I hope you'll try my advice... I too (as you can see from my tarutaru) played FFXI but quit a few years ago and like you I never really found one that was as great. Maybe it's because FFXI was my first MMO but whatever the reason I never felt as satisfied.

Now this might sound weird at first but today I tried The Chronicles of Spellborn and I think I might have found what I'm looking for. (At least untill Aion comes out which seems to majorly be the successor to FFXI.)

Anyway the reason I enjoyed it was mostly because of the combat. The non-auto target was weird at first but when fighting the monsters it reminded me of FFXI. It takes a bit to kill each enemy, like FFXI, and you need to be focused and pay attention. There is no auto attack.

Also the quests reminded me of FFXI, the few it had, in that it didn't spell out exactly where you had to go. It told you but left you to explore it and figure it out on your own. It also has a lot of different things that keep it interesting.

The style is Tim Burtonish so whether or not you like the style will probably play a factor.  I'm certainly not a fanboi of TCoS.. heck I just tried it today.. but I think it might be what we have been looking for.

It's still bran new so it's still going to go through some updates. But you can play the first seven levels for free.. like a trial period... and I really think it is worth giving a shot. Anyway that's my honest advice.

The only other thing I will mention is that, when I asked the same question as you, many people told me to try Vanguard: Saga of Heroes. I tried it, but didn't liked it as much as I am enjoying TCoS.. but Vanguard is another option I guess.

Tenicord is my name on Dorhzan if you want a newbie buddy to figure out the game with :)

• xmoleculexxmoleculex Member Posts: 98

I would second the Spellborn suggestion. I'm playing through the free area now and it's grabbed me more than other games I've tried recently.

• whatamidoingwhatamidoing Member Posts: 163

I too found a deep attachement to FFXI (even though it wasn't my first MMO) and having long been done with it after quitting and coming back and quitting again I can say that I've yet to find anything to match up to the feel and experience I had in FFXI (I gotta say I loved all the grouping and NM/HNM stuff and the way combat played out, the way the world felt, etc.). They just strayed from that with more recent MMOs, aka WoW and it's many wannabe MMOs with the solo play and lack of immersion IMO (not bashing WoW but it did create a trend).

I have no suggestions though haha I just made a thread asking for games to try but I felt your pain here so I felt the need to comment. Tell me how TCoS goes if you end up trying that, although I have my doubts about the implementation of a FPS type combat into an MMO after trying Darkfall (just wasn't what I thought it would be I guess).

That being said I have also been told before that Vanguard is a good one. Personally, I'm really hoping Square Enix releases more information about their upcoming MMO "rapture" soon because I suspect that will be my next MMO haven despite the long wait I, and other ex-FFXI fans, will have to endure for it's release.

• mochipixelsmochipixels Member UncommonPosts: 144

Thanks for the posts guys!  

Yea, it might have been that FFXI was my very first mmo and I found some really cool people right away.   I even booted up FFXI a few months ago and felt lost.  The other thing that plagues my fun-factor in regards to other mmos I've tried is the community.  WoW's community was a bit too immature half the time for me and very snotty. (not starting an argument, just expressing my opinion.)  EVE had a pretty decent community, but it also seemed very elite for me....and that coupled with the high learning curve hindered my enjoyment of the game.  

Naturally my old linkshell was long gone and everyone I knew has left for WoW or LOTRO or even Guild Wars.  I joined some parties and leveled some more on the newer jobs, but it just felt sad....

Anyway, I am downloading the Spellborn client, and will check that out.  It does seem to get good marks judging by the conversations going on in the game-specific forums.  I also really like the art style of Spellborn, so who knows...maybe it'll be good.

And I too am waiting desperately to hear anything more substantial about "rapture".  I've watched that old tech demo on youtube many times and got excited when Square officially announced they were indeed working on a new mmo.  I just wish we could get something more concrete. 

If you all have any other thoughts, feel free to type them down!  I also have my eye on the new Star Wars mmo....but I'm afraid of it turning into another wow-clone.  I basically just really, really want a new Final Fantasy online! lol

Thanks again for your ideas and keep them coming or at least keep me up to date on any info you hear about "rapture"........or any other cool mmos i should check out.

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606

I to like many of you have found longing for another FF. I played it form launch day till I was deployed and when I came back things had changed so much I had to choose another. I have played them all and im sorry to tell you that most likely you will not find that enjoyment you are looking for. I think were just stuck waiting for Rapture to come out hopefully it will be released within next year.

I am currently playing WOW not a fan of it but it’s easy and for my family time its really solo friendly so i can jump on and jump off. Vanguard was awesome but the world is solo big it’s really hard to get immersed into it. EQ2 is cool but kind of old now, Tcos is alright game. AoC horrible. after 50 might have changed but doubt it. LoTRo was great for for a while but kind of a cookie cutter to WoW, I know you didn’t want to hear WoW I just had to say that I sooo miss FF

FFXI <--- Best game I have ever played

TCoS is still new, it doesn't even have a retail release yet, but it's surprisingly polished. The community on this game does seem a lot better than your average MMO though. People have been helpful with answering questions, without giving snid remarks ect.  But yeah let us know what you think.. I'm curious to know if you like it or not :)

As for Rapture.. never even heard about this news. Must investigate now.

Well, I have finished downloading the TCOS game file but am having a hell of a time trying to create an account on the website.  Darn thing just hangs there and the hourglass just stares back at me.  I'll give it a little time I guess.

As far as "Rapture" goes,  I think it was at last year's GDC that Square officially confirmed that they were indeed working on another FF mmo.  I don't think that it will be a sequel, but we'll see.  This announcement made me all giddy, especially after seeing their tech demo they did back in 2005.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4Kceq4AbGk

O well, I guess I'll go back to trying to create my Spellborn account.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Maybe try 4Story....it is a F2P Cash Shop game, but if anything out there will make you feel the aura and excitment that FFXI did it would be this game.  Its unfortunately heavily quest based; mostly compromised of kill X amount of this or delivery quests, but the combat is fairly slow and harsh on some classes.  The races however are the best offshoot of FFXI though, quite a hoot they are:

Servers are down atm for maintenance so I couldn't get ya better images, just what I could randomly find on the web.  Tell me though, do they not capture the aura of FFXI?  I've been playing this on/off for the past week and enjoying it...mostly solo but I'm not very far {lvl 7} and I havn't yet found out if there are any group instancing, events, quests etc.

Ah yeah, the UI is solid and works good...as well as the storyline; so far its interesting and there are alot of neat features I'm still learning about...  You should definitly give this a go as I too am in your boat since I quit playing FFXI about 2 years ago too, and I've been floating to/from everything there is and thus far 4Story is the only MMO that is holding my interest atm and mainly cause of the resemblance to FFXI...

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Although the characters have resemblance to FFXI,that is as far as it goes.IMO the cartoon graphics [very cheap looking] are a closer image to WOW,than FFXI.Pretty much every single F2P game out there looks like WOW,because they are VERY old cheap game engines,and develoeprs are trying to make money off of failed material,by utilizing the "FREE"word.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SupercollideSupercollide Member Posts: 34

Hi

I've never played FFXI as I can only play casually but as a big fan of the FF offline games I've been enjpying the Free to play MMO Atlantica Online a lot more than I thought I would. It's got a similar battle setup to FFX and as it's free it's well worth a download.

• shadow417shadow417 Member UncommonPosts: 170

There is only one mmo that is the best and beats the other mmo(s)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>[Real life]<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Believe me it's bether then you think.

• ravorn87ravorn87 Member Posts: 9

I played FF11 for a long time and the only MMo that makes sense to play now is Aion. SO here i am waiting.

Lots of preview content on the new promotional site http://us.ncsoft.com/en/aion/

enjoy hope you see the potential i do.

Originally posted by shadow417

But it's such a grind-fest!!....and the monthly fee!!!.....craziness.

But anyway....I'm assuming you're just making a funny and not being a jerk.  Thanks for the chuckle though!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4Story characters look incredibly similar to the FFXI chars....is the game really as grindy as it seems??

And as far as Aion is concerned....man how long have we been waiting for that?!?  NCSoft seems to love to tease us with it at ever freakin' industry show!!  Someday we'll get a release date.

Well, back to trying to get into spellborn....still having stupid issues with account creation.

So I finally got into Spellborn.  

I have to admit that the art style is actually pretty cool.  I played for a few hours on and off again, and I think that the potential for a good mmo is there, but it needs a bit of work.  I had a couple of crashes, and the kill x, collect x, find x quests felt a tad like most other "modern" mmos.

I have been diving back into the playonline and allakhazam's ffxi site and was reading about the new mini expansions that are coming out.  I have been also following the recent posts in the FFXI forum and getting nostalgic about this game.

I have to admit that I am pretty darn close to re-subbing.  I've resubbed a couple times in the past and played before some other mmo distracted me (but only for a while) and then I would end up where I am....wishing for an mmo with FFXI quality.  Something more mature and more geared towards group play and cooperation.

Any of you guys...or anyone getting the itch to re-sub to our lovely game?  I have a char on Remora server that may come back to life soon....

How are you guys finding Spellborn still?? 

I would stick with Spellborn (or go back to ffxi) As for Spellborn... there are issues going on with the current patch. I contacted them and they said they are aware of the problem and currently working on fixing it. But yeah, the starting areas of Spellborn are generic I suppose. I've played enough now to get to see very different areas so it's exciting, plus there seems a lot of people willing to help and quest and stuff. The other day I was with a party and we stayed together for a good half of the day. That's when it shines.

But I don't want to be a crazy fanboi. I know it's not for everyone but I do think it's a cut above the rest is several ways.

Although like others and myself have said. I think it's Aion that will be the holy grail more or less :) 

• scot835scot835 Member Posts: 50

I would try out lord of the rings online, and warhammer online if i were you.

Game On.

• bonobotheorybonobotheory Member UncommonPosts: 1,007
    Originally posted by shadow417

Player housing is mandatory and overpriced.

Penalties for PvP are too harsh - you're punished even if you win.

Crafting is tedious and time-consuming.

They say it's free to play, but you'll get nowhere without the cash shop items.

They kick you out of the newbie zone at 18, and you're forced to take up burgercrafting.