Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dissecting the trailer and the dissappointments I have

DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

I think the new trailer was a letdown. I will not go so far to say the game will be bad, as this game is still far from beta and release, but I have to give my viewpoint here since they publish this.

1. direction

I think the direction was very bad. They had some clips of footage, let's call it:

a. the alien attack intro scene, b. the attack on the droid in the grass (incl. the running in the grass), c. the crash landing, d. the cloning facility.

They intersect these four scenes with each other, add some lofty words like "there are the valiant" etc. but these words seems to have little to do with the actual footage. I understand drama is intended, thus the music; but really it seems random and not very well produced.

A great producer would have tried to use some of the little footage they must have to produce a coherent STORY or all together not create a story (no text) and just show of the game.

2. the claim to be in-game footage

I think the alien attack intro looks nothing like real player action, but something that will be placed as an intro video to the game. And why don't these dudes fight back? Also the crash scene as well as the cloning scene are some of those little in between scenes where you don't control your character. So it says very little of the game except the look and feel the go for. The grass fighting droid scene is the only genuine gameplay.

3. The graphics

Nothing of what I saw was that particular. The characters running in the grass looked bland (even TR looked better). The animations was acceptable but nothing specieal. The textures of the grass scene was repetitive and the look of the sand from above in the crash scene seemed very repetitive too. Nothing here to say "wow" about .... YET.

Oh and the clone wake-up looked stupid, sorry.

4. The combat

The combat with the droid seems weird. There is a disconnect between the droid's attack and the characters. It didn't look very epic at all nor did it look very 2009ish. Sure it is early in development, but maybe it is too early to show then? I for one couldn't understand what was going on with that droid scene. The combat has a far way to travel I am afraid.

Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to Earthrise (or at least I was) - but I am afraid reality will catch up to the concepts if this is what they have to show for themselves.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by Draccan

I think the new trailer was a letdown. I will not go so far to say the game will be bad, as this game is still far from beta and release, but I have to give my viewpoint here since they publish this.

1. direction
    I think the direction was very bad. They had some clips of footage, let's call it:
    a. the alien attack intro scene, b. the attack on the droid in the grass (incl. the running in the grass), c. the crash landing, d. the cloning facility.
    They intersect these four scenes with each other, add some lofty words like "there are the valiant" etc. but these words seems to have little to do with the actual footage. I understand drama is intended, thus the music; but really it seems random and not very well produced.
    A great producer would have tried to use some of the little footage they must have to produce a coherent STORY or all together not create a story (no text) and just show of the game.

I think the alien attack intro looks nothing like real player action, but something that will be placed as an intro video to the game. And why don't these dudes fight back? Also the crash scene as well as the cloning scene are some of those little in between scenes where you don't control your character. So it says very little of the game except the look and feel the go for. The grass fighting droid scene is the only genuine gameplay.

3. The graphics
    Nothing of what I saw was that particular. The characters running in the grass looked bland (even TR looked better). The animations was acceptable but nothing specieal. The textures of the grass scene was repetitive and the look of the sand from above in the crash scene seemed very repetitive too. Nothing here to say "wow" about .... YET.

4. The combat
    The combat with the droid seems weird. There is a disconnect between the droid's attack and the characters. It didn't look very epic at all nor did it look very 2009ish. Sure it is early in development, but maybe it is too early to show then? I for one couldn't understand what was going on with that droid scene. The combat has a far way to travel I am afraid.

Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to Earthrise (or at least I was) - but I am afraid reality will catch up to the concepts if this is what they have to show for themselves.

1: Direction, I disagree with you. It seemed to showcase combat then death then rebirth. Personally I didn't see it as being disjointed at all, it wasn't a masterpiece or anything but far from confusing.

2: I only saw it from youtube, but it was obvious to any gamer what was ingame play and cut scenes.

3: graphics, seemed fine to me. This will be an open world PvP game remember, also I don't remember any promises of mind blowing graphics. If they implemented great graphics we'd end up with a sci-fi AoC, you cannot have mind blowing graphics and open world. You said the look of the sand seemed repetitive, isn't that what sand's supposed to look like?

4: Combat, I agree they seemed to edit it or cut from one angle to another too much to judge on the gameplay. We didn't get a long enough look at it to see a smooth combat scene, I hope more vids follow allowing this.

Well this is their first offering and considering the utter wank we had last year and the utter, utter wank so far this year I believe it would be far more difficult to do anything worse! (don't quote me on that though!)

BTW: You'd look pretty stupid if you woke up naked in a test tube, don't hate the clones man! They're people too!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

This was more a tech demo to show off the graphics than something to show off gameplay. We know there is more footage out there from mmorpg's preview from GDC. Here's to hoping we see that soon.

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

Personally I believe people should not disect this footage at all.. It was that of a teaser, showing the graphics and the game in movement, nothing more than a presentation.  suppose to be there to be like "ohh so that is how x moves and y interacts." Also those Mobs will act in that kind of fashion, the AI is meant to be free. They act on their own, some being more aggresive and other being less aggressive. Some might call upon for more mobs some might just run away.  The AI planned/announced for this game is nothing but interesting and unique. 

However I too thought it was weird that the guys did not fire back at the mobs, would of made the footage a lot more interesting and realistic. (would also go along with the "valiant" bit) 

Like haraback said this is nothing but a tech demo. It was most likely produced for the GDC.

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by Draccan

1. direction

3. The graphics

4. The combat

Well, I think MH kinda rushed this video out without putting too much thought into it, and it wasn't meant to be an offical trailer. A lot of posters on the ER site have been asking to wet their beaks into actual in-game footage. and they just threw this out to give players a small taste...

Will the game be any different since it's become obvious you can never tell until the game has been out for at least a months time. As always we won't be able to tell til time comes..lol

But, I'm still looking forward to it, as long as the gameplay is engaging and smooth, and so is the world...I'll be happy..=D

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

It is a teaser of a game which is still being worked on, not a trailer at all. In that sense we might as well focus on the good stuff since the chance that bad stuff will still improve is much, much, much higher than the chance of them taking out things which look great, ... right?

I liked the mech design, for one. Would love to have a 'mount' like that, hehe. Landscapes looked great as well and the realistic look to armors and gear looked fine by me. All in all it seems the team has some good designers working on it. I hope they are able to take their time and won't rush the game.

• MykellMykell Member UncommonPosts: 780

Lots to like for me. Saw a teaser of what the in-game world will be like and looks promising so far. Everything i saw (animations, level of detail etc) seemed to be on a par at least with most other mmo's.

Now all that i am interested in is gameplay but a video can never truely tell me whether i will like it or not.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Haha couldnt help myself :D

No the SAND does not have to look repetitive.Is this a one time deal here?of course not ALL the games do it.Looking repetitive has to do with pasting one, yes i mean ONE texture onto the ground and not breaking it up.I am glad this was mentioned because this is one of the reasons a generated world fails.It will have no or little separation in the world.So when you paste a texture down it covers large distances and looks bland as many people call it.

A VERY SIMPLE example to break it up would be ....

instead of generating a 8000x8000 box and pasting a texture onto that 8000 unit ground you could create 4x2000 sized boxes and therefore have different looking textures on each therefore making the ground look a tad more realistic.There is of course other ways to break it up.It is perhaps one of the designs in worlds that is lacking is the ground.Some of the good games you can really notice the high res textures used on cobblestone roads and stuff like that.

I can tell you that as far back as UT99 a game i love,they utilized hi res textures on the floors of buildings and ramps/elevators,so there is no excuse anymore for lack of.Yes i know of OPEN world and the lag,but again zones can be separated,so the overall loading is minimized so we dont get another Vanguard lagathon.I wonder if developers actuallyproperly test their own products.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893

Pretty world but not too exciting yet. Looks like a GPU monster though. Anyway, I didn't really see anything to get me too excited so I'll wait and see what comes down the line next. I wanna see some fast paced gameplay with an in-game HUD.

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• whatamidoingwhatamidoing Member Posts: 163

Clone waking up looked like he blew out of the Sims 2. But other than that it was alright for me. Except for that damn sand! That's a gamebreaker right there :p

In all seriousness though, I wouldn't pass any real judgement on it until it's closer to release and we see more stuff. Well, I wouldn't even pass judgement on it until after an open beta, which they hopefully have, so we all don't waste $50 to test out something that (judging by what's been coming out) will probably be a let-down. I think the last couple years have left us all jaded from these utter flops and let-downs just like someone else mentioned here in this thread, although not as vivdly as I just did haha.

Edited for grammatical purposes.

• greymanngreymann Member Posts: 757

What I like about the game so far is the unique yet "earthy" story (sorry).  As far as screens and vid I applaude their use of color and contrast, decent detail, and models and terrain that actually have some character for once.  Finally an mmo that doesn't look like someone desaturated and decontrasted the whole thing--the ol' gray poop filter they all seem to love to use. 

The video though was somewhat uninspiring.  Graphics and sountrack were fine but nothing really interesting happened.  I can understand lack of action if you're doing that to build suspense somehow but it didn't have that either.

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file