Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvE

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Will this game also have PvE content

I really enjoy long epic questlines that tell stories of epic content.

Espescially Lotro is a good excample...

If somehow this can be combined with the sandbox idea, it might be my cup of tea. 

If not, no harm done then it might not be my cup of tea, despite the fact that the skill system, the 1st person part , the realtime combat part, and many other great ideas.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

From the answered questions thread: www.mortalonline.com/forums/776-20080415-answers-your-questions.html

Quote:

Will a player be able to advance doing only PvP?

Will a player be able to advance doing only PvE?

Yes. Naturally, as the game depends on both your and your characters skill, you can't for example PvP-fight for a year and then suddenly know all about how to aquire Egg-Mussle Shells from 60 meters depth outside the Tindrem harbor. Likewise, spending all your time in front of the blast furnace won't give you an advantage on the battlefield (except possibly from your gear).

There is PvE content, but ion the words of a dev, its a PvP focused game with PvE, instead of the usual PvE with PvP tacked on.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

That doesn't answer my question

Espescially the long epic PvE quests are important to me..

Not just randomly killing things....everyting i do in an MMO must have a reason and i want to feel part of the stories in the world.

Just randomly killing mobs.. does not sound like fun PvE to me. I have done that to much in the past.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Not just randomly killing things....everyting i do in an MMO must have a reason and i want to feel part of the stories in the world.

Just randomly killing mobs.. does not sound like fun PvE to me. I have done that to much in the past.

I agree partially.  Some pve should be quest-story-based.  However pve also includes secrets that you alone might discover by exploring areas, finding some special rare mob that appears at a certain time for a chance to get some special item drop.  I don't want all my pve quest-driven and too structured, I like to also discover secrets (and of course not tell anyone else lol).

• ghoul31ghoul31 Member Posts: 1,955

In an open pvp world, PVE isn't boring, because you always have to keep an eye  out for enemy players.

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Will this game also have PvE content

I really enjoy long epic questlines that tell stories of epic content.

Espescially Lotro is a good excample...
    If somehow this can be combined with the sandbox idea, it might be my cup of tea. 

If not, no harm done then it might not be my cup of tea, despite the fact that the skill system, the 1st person part , the realtime combat part, and many other great ideas.

No one really knows yet.

We do know there is PvE content in the form of mobs, NPC cities, villages.. dungeons.  None of which are instanced.  We do know that there are going to be rare and legendary creatures throughout the world.  And some of them will spawn once, and only once.  There are going to be some quests, but nothing like the theme-park games we have been experiencing for the past decade.  But, as far as huge, overarching storyline quests..?  I haven't read anything on that yet.  Nothing Ala Age of Conan or LoTR as far as I know.

It is going to be a sandbox world.  SV is allowing the players to make up their own adventures.  Build their own communities.  Their own heroes and villians.  If you've ever played Ultima Online, its a very similar concept.  Instead of the developers giving you the content.  You make the content yourself with your own creativity.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I think you will be disappointed in MO if you are looking for epic quest lines following certain storylines. All information we had has been clear on the fact that MO is build around the idea of us, players, shaping our own lives, stories and future.

In that regard, you might be looking for a game like Starwars The Old Republic which is focusing on just that; epic story based questlines, and which has been implemented amazingly well, as far as I have read.

MO is a game which has 'freedom and no hand holding' in its DNA while games like SWTOR or LOTRO for that matter, focus on story driven gameplay. Though we have yet to see whether there will be any lengthy questlines implemented in MO, they won't be it's biggest feature I reckon.

• SamCoarseSamCoarse Member Posts: 31

There is a quote by one of the Dev's stating they really haven't put much time into AI, judging by the video with the rat it shows. It will be there, who knows how advanced or in turn prehistoric it will be. I wish they were more transparent..

But these things can be worked on I suppose.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by DarkPony

I think you will be disappointed in MO if you are looking for epic quest lines following certain storylines. All information we had has been clear on the fact that MO is build around the idea of us, players, shaping our own lives, stories and future.
    In that regard, you might be looking for a game like Starwars The Old Republic which is focusing on just that; epic story based questlines, and which has been implemented amazingly well, as far as I have read.
    MO is a game which has 'freedom and no hand holding' in its DNA while games like SWTOR or LOTRO for that matter, focus on story driven gameplay. Though we have yet to see whether there will be any lengthy questlines implemented in MO, they won't be it's biggest feature I reckon.

This is the answer for the OP. There will be PvE, any MMO will have it. It just won't be in a massive amount. It will probably be quests to learn how to play and give you a few starter items. Any "epic" PvE you are looking for will lead you to PvP. Anything that will help players be better will have competition in the form of PvP to get it.

If you are a solo PvEer, this game will be difficult. You will be attacked many times while fighting mobs. Without protection of numbers, you will be a target. As was suggested above, look at SW:TOR for the PvE storyline quests being the main draw.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

I find any game lacking PvE with lore behind it shallow; I hope MO will take a different approach than that other game.  A MMORPG to me means a living virtual world where I participate with my character - it doesn't mean getting in a virtual arena and killing other players only. Player killing should be somehow justified in my eyes (Wars, feuds, whatever).

Whereas I like the impression MO gives, I still want to see more with regards to actual gameplay to judge...

• Kain_DaleKain_Dale Member UncommonPosts: 378

You wanted epic storyline? Sacred 2: Fallen Angel has ton of em. you should try it out.

Kain_Dale

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

You can make your own "epic story line" in a sandbox MMO. No need for the devs to make it fore you. Its more fun to shape the world without the devs loking over your shoulder : )

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

PvE does not equal killing mobs only; it is generally  interacting with the NPC content in the virtual world. So while the game will inevitably focus on PvP one way or another, I'd like different incentives for people who want to immerse a bit more - faction standings, politics are all possible ways to channel PvE action, and not simply rely on inter-guild warfare (which can be chaotic and totally nonsensical).

They have already said there will be NPC guilds players will be able to join and gain benefits and obligations; I'd like to see that evolve into an alternative play path for less guild-oriented, more solo players...

For example, this is a thread I made in the official MO forums with one potential PvE aspect of the game.

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/8303-racial-wars.html

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by Galadourn

PvE does not equal killing mobs only; it is generally  interacting with the NPC content in the virtual world. So while the game will inevitably focus on PvP one way or another, I'd like different incentives for people who want to immerse a bit more - faction standings, politics are all possible ways to channel PvE action, and not simply rely on inter-guild warfare (which can be chaotic and totally nonsensical).
    They have already said there will be NPC guilds players will be able to join and gain benefits and obligations; I'd like to see that evolve into an alternative play path for less guild-oriented, more solo players...

For example, this is a thread I made in the official MO forums with one potential PvE aspect of the game.
    http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/8303-racial-wars.html

I haven't heard that yet. That is an interesting idea. I would like to see a large amount of PvE in a sandbox game that can lead to skills/receipies that can benefit players/guilds. The more and better PvE there is in a PvP game, the more targets PK's will have in the world.

Politics and warfare are fun in sandbox games. The only downside is you end up doing the same things over and over for your guild/alience's benifit. It ends up not being that different from the theme park games in that regard. A large and healthy PvE quest sytem (not raids, more faction based, including PvP quests) can increase the economy as well as broaden the player base. A more broad player base would make a "red" guild/group more attractive for those that like that aspect. You will have more prey with more loot to take off the PvEers dead bodies.

Guild warfare and politics are a given in a sandbox. I would personally like to see more PvE quest based faction choices in the game as well. I won't hold my breath. I doubt it will happen. I stick by what I posted before. PvE won't be big in MO IMHO. Doesn't mean I wouldn't like to be supprised and see it happen.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

The game will have PvE. It will have quite challenging PvE if you believe the very short film released with the minotaurs. In this film you could see a minotaur ruin two players, as it tossed them around in the air.

It looked quite promising.