Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why create an mmo that would look dated 5 years ago?

DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050

Graphics aren't everything for me. I can play good games with great gameplay even if  the graphics are sub-par, but for an mmo and when you (many of us) have top notch gear, you got to wonder, why create an mmo that look as dated as FALLEN EARTH?

The newest video didn't appeal to me. Some of the game concepts, crafting, brutal world, etc. are all great, but that video was   H O R R I B L E  looking.

What it really means for me is that it seems the company is not employing the best artists, so do we trust the rest of the game is good? This game seem to be a little above the Darkfall nonsense, but suffer from some of the same problems.

I for one is disinterested now, seeing this development is going with an old style engine. The engine is more important than graphics. And the animations look weird. Textures bad.

In comparison AoC launched with great graphics and failed in all other respects. I am looking for a company that can do both.

Comments

• Jackio81Jackio81 Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Don't you think you're being a bit too demanding? I saw the topic you started on ER forums (which I agree the quality of the vid could have been better) and I really didn't see how you could think the graphics in that game were bad.

Anyways, in a market where the most successful MMO is equally known for how shitty it's graphics are. I think this is a subject matter that should be left out until more and more game companies can figure out how to create a good MMO that won't fail after 2 to 3 months of release....=/

• DraccanDraccan Member Posts: 1,050
    Originally posted by Jackio81

Don't you think you're being a bit too demanding? I saw the topic you started on ER forums (which I agree the quality of the vid could have been better) and I really didn't see how you could think the graphics in that game were bad.
    Anyways, in a market where the most successful MMO is equally known for how shitty it's graphics are. I think this is a subject matter that should be left out until more and more game companies can figure out how to create a good MMO that won't fail after 2 to 3 months of release....=/

Hi

With all due respect I don't see how I am too demanding. When you look at mmos in general (pre-launch official forums for any game and this one), I think the real problem is that players are not demanding at all.

This game (Fallen Earth) has good concepts, but the video posted here looks like something made by a very small, amateurish game company. That in itself doesn't mean it can't be fun, but why create an mmo like that? I assume it is about ressources, but still..

What I gather from that is that it doesn't instill confidence in the rest of the production.

I really can't see why we can't expect both good graphics and good gameplay and a fully tested product.

Game companies treat us gamers like sheep these days and release buggy, unfinished games. Not just mmos but games like Empire Total War and countless others. It is the standard today to do this and I am surprised there is not more of a consumer outcry. I guess it is because a large part of gamers are kids or young people, but I can't really imagine many other industries where you can sell half products like this.

So no - I don't think I am too demanding. However it is every developers right to launch with bad graphics, but for me it turns me off unless the game really has something else to offer.

Fallen Earth looks worse than WoW or EQ I or SWG. It just looks THAT dated. Like something that was made mid nineties. The closest to it is Rainbow Six that I can think of in terms of look and feel. And that (my favorite first person shooter) is really old.

• MahloMahlo Member UncommonPosts: 814

I agree with the OP I'm afraid. This is looking very second-rate.

• RObarskyRObarsky Member Posts: 6

Fallen Earth Inc. is a new company, they're a branch of Icarus, the developer of the engine used in Fallen Earth. So this is their first game, which might answer some of your questions. As for the graphics, well, its hard not to judge by video, but games always look better running real-time. The graphics might not be the best, but they're still great considering that FE is probably going to be the largest zoneless virtual world.

Currently playing: Halo 3, Team Fortress 2, Geometry Wars 2.
    Waiting for: Fallen Earth
    Past MMOs: FFXI, EvE Online, LOTRO.
    Betaed games: LOTRO, Tabula Rasa.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448

The game is still in Alpha. I think for an Alpha game, the graphics look pretty good.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

Originally posted by Abrahmm

The game is still in Alpha. I think for an Alpha game, the graphics look pretty good.

Closed Beta right now. :) Devs would like to release in Q2 2009.

• AbrahmmAbrahmm Member Posts: 2,448
    Originally posted by RObarsky

Originally posted by Abrahmm

Closed Beta right now. :) Devs would like to release in Q2 2009.

Whatever. The game still looks great for a "closed beta". Honestly the game looks a lot better than WAR does.

Tried: LotR, CoH, AoC, WAR, Jumpgate Classic
    Played: SWG, Guild Wars, WoW
    Playing: Eve Online, Counter-strike
    Loved: Star Wars Galaxies
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2, anything sandbox.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Most companies pimp graphics last.  So you should see an improvement closer to launch.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

The above is a leaked video I found earlier today of FE's intro. I think it does the graphcs a bit better justice. Just keep in mind this is from some random person's system so the GFX might not be at max. A lot of the odd animations probably stem from the addition of Ageia PhysX.

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Seems obvious too me that the graphics are important to you since thats your #1 complaint and then you say that the artists aren't good enough...seriously!  This is the way it was designed to look and the level of detail has alot to do with how well its going to play on a multitude of Gamer PCs out there also.  Heck your entire post is all about the graphics and comparisons to other games, yet graphics don't mean anything to you.....heh

Its not dated, but rather their style and how they chose to make it look....what does dated really mean anymore?  How long ago were cartoons created...over 70 yrs yet most MMOs many of which that do very well are of a cartoony look.....and the realistic look, well I guess that can be recalled back to the beginning of time here on earth...rofl

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615

The features are part of the reasion.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• AganazerAganazer Member Posts: 1,319
    Originally posted by Draccan

In comparison AoC launched with great graphics and failed in all other respects. I am looking for a company that can do both. 

Let me know how that works out for you.

• HalowHalow Member Posts: 71
    Originally posted by Draccan

Hi

With all due respect I don't see how I am too demanding. When you look at mmos in general (pre-launch official forums for any game and this one), I think the real problem is that players are not demanding at all. (Yea I think you are right... players definitely do not complain enough and demand much from game companies... all the posts on this forum that show demands from players to game developers dont qualify.)

This game (Fallen Earth) has good concepts, but the video posted here looks like something made by a very small, amateurish game company. That in itself doesn't mean it can't be fun, but why create an mmo like that? I assume it is about ressources, but still..

What I gather from that is that it doesn't instill confidence in the rest of the production.

I really can't see why we can't expect both good graphics and good gameplay and a fully tested product.

Game companies treat us gamers like sheep these days and release buggy, unfinished games. Not just mmos but games like Empire Total War and countless others. It is the standard today to do this and I am surprised there is not more of a consumer outcry. I guess it is because a large part of gamers are kids or young people, but I can't really imagine many other industries where you can sell half products like this.

So no - I don't think I am too demanding. However it is every developers right to launch with bad graphics, but for me it turns me off unless the game really has something else to offer.

Fallen Earth looks worse than WoW or EQ I or SWG. It just looks THAT dated. Like something that was made mid nineties. The closest to it is Rainbow Six that I can think of in terms of look and feel. And that (my favorite first person shooter) is really old.

• Hammertime1Hammertime1 Member Posts: 619

This is one of the games that I'm looking forward to, but a long development time can be a real disadvantage to a game, as I'm finding out with DFO.

Neat concept though, and if they fill it with good content, it should have a nice following.

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290

My computer sucks and i'd rather eat and pay my bills than upgrade it, and i'm going to play fallen earth, just face it, you wasted your money on some supercomputer gaming rig and now you are trying to  justify yourself.

Smoothness of gameplay / animation is paramount for me, so when I bought AoC and got terrible graphics lag in anything involving non-instance I had to quit, it's better for them to start it at low graphics and push it up through expansions / patches when the userbase is established, again refering to an earlier post, this is also their first game, and the new updated graphics (check out the before and after pics on FE terminal) look amazing and stylised, there is a lot of character in the avatars and enemies, something that keeps me playing starcraft to this day (along with arguably a lot of other people).

At the end of the day, good graphics only make a good game better, you need the foundations before you build the walls...

• adammainadammain Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Venomzer0

My computer sucks and i'd rather eat and pay my bills than upgrade it, and i'm going to play fallen earth, just face it, you wasted your money on some supercomputer gaming rig and now you are trying to  justify yourself.

Smoothness of gameplay / animation is paramount for me, so when I bought AoC and got terrible graphics lag in anything involving non-instance I had to quit, it's better for them to start it at low graphics and push it up through expansions / patches when the userbase is established, again refering to an earlier post, this is also their first game, and the new updated graphics (check out the before and after pics on FE terminal) look amazing and stylised, there is a lot of character in the avatars and enemies, something that keeps me playing starcraft to this day (along with arguably a lot of other people).

At the end of the day, good graphics only make a good game better, you need the foundations before you build the walls...

Fallen Earth is currently in closed beta. Most if not all videos you see will have graphics at medium or lower, shadows turned off, textures turned way down, and Actor LOD turned off.

Trust me, the game will look nice. ;)

• emikochanemikochan Member UncommonPosts: 290
    Originally posted by adammain

Fallen Earth is currently in closed beta. Most if not all videos you see will have graphics at medium or lower, shadows turned off, textures turned way down, and Actor LOD turned off.
    Trust me, the game will look nice. ;)

Glad to hear it, I can't wait for the official launch trailers :3

• FarandirFarandir Member UncommonPosts: 111

To the OP: Just to mention, that video I presume you're talking about, has a few years on the neck. It will probably look a lot better now, I assure you.  :)

• Experimemt13Experimemt13 Member Posts: 188

Originally posted by Farandir

To the OP: Just to mention, that video I presume you're talking about, has a few years on the neck. It will probably look a lot better now, I assure you.  :)

I bet you are right Farandir.

• ReaperUkReaperUk Member UncommonPosts: 758

I just took a look at the You Tube tutorial video that someone mentioned earlier in this thread. The graphics quality shown there is good enough for me to be sure I'll be trying the game out when it's released.

• KaibyakuKaibyaku Member Posts: 65

gfx look like the original half life. Unacceptable. Too bad they were stupid and took 7 years to develope this crap. This was decent 5 years ago, now its just down right sad.
    Updating shaders, and your version of direct x compatibility, and then adding HDR does not count as a graphics upgrade. Its simply just adding "shinies".

And game play seems good? Its a stock fps/tps with a few "Skills" added. Woo, you can crawl, and sneak. Hmm sounds familiar, oh that's right, you could do that in battlefield 2...and like 50 other fps/tps's. Disappointing, remaking bf2 into an mmo. Someone should tell dice.

• BishipsBiships Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by Kaibyaku

[quote]gfx look like the original half life. Unacceptable. Too bad they were stupid and took 7 years to develope this crap. This was decent 5 years ago, now its just down right sad.

Updating shaders, and your version of direct x compatibility, and then adding HDR does not count as a graphics upgrade. Its simply just adding "shinies".
    And game play seems good? Its a stock fps/tps with a few "Skills" added. Woo, you can crawl, and sneak. Hmm sounds familiar, oh that's right, you could do that in battlefield 2...and like 50 other fps/tps's. Disappointing, remaking bf2 into an mmo. Someone should tell dice.[quote]

Cool, so does that mean this is your last post?.

As to the people complaining about the graphics, there is a reason that MMOs have crappier graphics. It's simple, game play. If you want 100s of people running around fighting each other in a persistent world you can't have high quality shadows, high rez textures, and particles effects going off anywhere. It slows downs peoples computers and causes crashing and lag, making pvp nearly impossible as most people aren't running top end gaming computers.
    Also with high rez graphics comes instancing and lots of it. Open world/sandbox  MMOs are always going to be on the low end of the graphics scale.
    If you want top end or even nice graphics play a single player game or an FPS

• NegativeJoeNegativeJoe Member UncommonPosts: 213

Originally posted by Kaibyaku
    And game play seems good? Its a stock fps/tps with a few "Skills" added. Woo, you can crawl, and sneak. Hmm sounds familiar, oh that's right, you could do that in battlefield 2...and like 50 other fps/tps's. Disappointing, remaking bf2 into an mmo. Someone should tell dice.

not even in the same ballpark, sorry.

::::26:: ::::26:: ::::26::

• yukumoyukumo Member Posts: 86

For all the [Mod Edit] people who are posting about the pictures and videos from 2006 and 2007 being bad quality you are right.

but those pictures are old and they have since then upgraded the entire look and feel of the game

www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/126/view/forums/thread/231796/Do-not-be-thrown-off-by-outdated-screenshots-links.html

my forum post about this, you will find all the updated pictures comparing old to new

• guy232guy232 Member UncommonPosts: 350

Some of you guys are pure sheep...somthing doesnt look like it needs a HAL 2009 to run it.  you bash it for having bad gfx.  Somone should make MineSweeper with crysis graphics.  that way you guys get all the eye candy  you want at the sake of gameplay. I think the game is the only thing left to give some spark to the dieing  MMOFPS scene.    I mean last well known  game  under the genre have long cancled.    

It..Burns..