Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic's Latest Statement on Interiors Controversy

13»

Comments

• GardavilGardavil Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by Hagonbok

The Bartle data is antiquated crappola designed for text based MUDs and has very little relevance to mmorpgs. It's people that have a screwed up concept of what mmorpgs are that keep referencing it as something to be paid attention to in regards to mmorpgs. It's people that think mmorpgs are evolved from MUDs.

They're not.

mmorpgs are evolved from TT (table top) RPGs, and the "RPG" isn't about playing make believe and all this other drek they want to hang on it. RPG is about the mechanics (turn based dice rolls and character progression via learnt skills, advancing skills, gaining experience, acquiring new items, etc etc)

If you're lamenting that mmorpgs aren't more like MUDs and don't specifically cater to people that just want to inhabit some virtual world, make believe some intricately thought out character, and yammer away all day long to others then you're barking up the wrong tree. You are, and have been, following the completely wrong genre. Unfortunately there's just enough other mutton heads out there that have it all screwed up in their minds too to give this bunch this very very false sense of entitlement.

These people want to change what mmorpgs are. They want to turn them into sims rather than games. A place inhabited by people that do nothing but chin wag all day long. In short, they want to suck all the fun out of them and make sure they're only populated by pompous pinheads like themselves.

Excuse me for voicing my opinion Hagenbok, I forgot that everything I wish to say has to have your seal of approval on it first!

Not ONCE have I slammed your particular game play preferences as I am very willing to have MMOs the way YOU like them as long as there is content in them that I favor as well.

But that is not good enough for you is it? No, you seem determined to forge all MMOs in your image. Anyone that does not have the same vision for what MMOs should or shouldn't be you just disregard their opinions and insult them.

Next time I will PM you and ask your permission before I voice my opinion....Better yet, I just won't express my opinion at all. As I said in another thread...and it has finally sunk into my brain....the MMO Genre belongs to you.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by Gardavil

The Bartle data is antiquated crappola designed for text based MUDs and has very little relevance to mmorpgs. It's people that have a screwed up concept of what mmorpgs are that keep referencing it as something to be paid attention to in regards to mmorpgs. It's people that think mmorpgs are evolved from MUDs.

They're not.

mmorpgs are evolved from TT (table top) RPGs, and the "RPG" isn't about playing make believe and all this other drek they want to hang on it. RPG is about the mechanics (turn based dice rolls and character progression via learnt skills, advancing skills, gaining experience, acquiring new items, etc etc)

If you're lamenting that mmorpgs aren't more like MUDs and don't specifically cater to people that just want to inhabit some virtual world, make believe some intricately thought out character, and yammer away all day long to others then you're barking up the wrong tree. You are, and have been, following the completely wrong genre. Unfortunately there's just enough other mutton heads out there that have it all screwed up in their minds too to give this bunch this very very false sense of entitlement.

These people want to change what mmorpgs are. They want to turn them into sims rather than games. A place inhabited by people that do nothing but chin wag all day long. In short, they want to suck all the fun out of them and make sure they're only populated by pompous pinheads like themselves.

Excuse me for voicing my opinion Hagenbok, I forgot that everything I wish to say has to have your seal of approval on it first!

Not ONCE have I slammed your particular game play preferences as I am very willing to have MMOs the way YOU like them as long as there is content in them that I favor as well.

But that is not good enough for you is it? No, you seem determined to forge all MMOs in your image. Anyone that does not have the same vision for what MMOs should or shouldn't be you just disregard their opinions and insult them.

Next time I will PM you and ask your permission before I voice my opinion....Better yet, I just won't express my opinion at all. As I said in another thread...and it has finally sunk into my brain....the MMO Genre belongs to you.

Except you can't stop yourself can you?

Despite people telling you over and over and over that STO will in fact have plenty of content that will specifically be catered to your preferred play style, because it doesn't have one very specific feature that you desire you've continued to post with a negative attitude, and with the sole intent of spreading that negativity around. You're trying to paint the game in a bad light. Simple as that. You can dress it up all you like, but it's not going to fool anyone with any sense.

You're just another "If they don't do it my way then I'll work toward harming the game any way I can" type.

If you weren't you would have moved on long ago.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264

They're not.

I enjoyed reading this. I would only add that it's the single-player RPGs that evolved from tabletop games, and that MMORPGs evolved from single-player games. Ultima Online was a continuation of a single-player series, and no, the experience was nothing like a MUD.

I think the biggest challenge this game faces is the perception of Star Trek by people who are not die-hard Star Trek fans. I know the Star Trek universe well enough to know what a Cardasian is, and there was a time in my life when I would have called myself a trekkie (age 12) -- but now you couldn't get me to sit through an episode of anything but the original series without a lot of duct tape and a cattle prod. But I would buy a Star Trek single-player game if it was in a genre I like and it got good reviews.

Cryptic is clearly trying to attract the interest of people like me, possibly at the expense of genuine trekkies. Every decision they make along these lines (not having player crews on ships) makes me a little more likely to try the game. The risk they're taking is that I may never try it, whereas there are clearly a lot of dedicated fans on these forums who aren't getting the kinds of things that would keep them playing for years.

• GardavilGardavil Member Posts: 60

They're not.

Despite people telling you over and over and over that STO will in fact have plenty of content that will specifically be catered to your preferred play style, because it doesn't have one very specific feature that you desire you've continued to post with a negative attitude, and with the sole intent of spreading that negativity around. You're trying to paint the game in a bad light. Simple as that. You can dress it up all you like, but it's not going to fool anyone with any sense.

You're just another "If they don't do it my way then I'll work toward harming the game any way I can" type.

Nagativity in my posts? Sure, I admit that. I have also stated that there are features about STO and other new MMOs that I believe are positive ones. I view most of your posts as negative as well. The only thing we are really accomplishing is that each one of us is "calling the other kettle black". I will not argue this point with you any longer as we shall never agree on anything. I will avoid your posts, and I ask that you avoid commenting on mine. My posts on these boards are usually a reply to someone else's idea or comments and are not meant as a personal attack on any of the posters here or upon the MMO I am discussing. My reply to you before this was an attack, for I get the impression that you have serious issues with me as a poster on these forums, as you have stated above.

Maybe I had not said it enough before(my fault for sure), so here goes...this is how I view STO:

[b]I think there is a lot RIGHT with STO and I believe it will be a great game. It's just not being designed as I believe it should be. I wish the best for STO and I hope it makes WoW's subscriptions numbers look like a has-been game. I wish for STO a long and successful run and I hope the Players are so happy with it that they will forget about all other games. I wish for STO such huge numbers of Players attempting to log into the servers that the Players crash them at first, and that Cryptic has the money to build better servers that allow everyone to enjoy STO that wants to. [/b]

I am NOT attempting "to paint the game in a bad light"....I am have only been voicing my opinions as to how and why I believe STO should be designed differently than the current development plan. Now is the time to voice my opinions for once the game is released it is too late then.

And you are attempting to do the same, aren't you?

Fare Well Hagonbok, I leave these forums to you and the other Posters. May you have many an excellent discussion about MMOs here.

• GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

They're not.

Nagativity in my posts? Sure, I admit that. I have also stated that there are features about STO and other new MMOs that I believe are positive ones. I view most of your posts as negative as well. The only thing we are really accomplishing is that each one of us is "calling the other kettle black". I will not argue this point with you any longer as we shall never agree on anything. I will avoid your posts, and I ask that you avoid commenting on mine. My posts on these boards are usually a reply to someone else's idea or comments and are not meant as a personal attack on any of the posters here or upon the MMO I am discussing. My reply to you before this was an attack, for I get the impression that you have serious issues with me as a poster on these forums, as you have stated above.

Maybe I had not said it enough before(my fault for sure), so here goes...this is how I view STO:

[b]I think there is a lot RIGHT with STO and I believe it will be a great game. It's just not being designed as I believe it should be. I wish the best for STO and I hope it makes WoW's subscriptions numbers look like a has-been game. I wish for STO a long and successful run and I hope the Players are so happy with it that they will forget about all other games. I wish for STO such huge numbers of Players attempting to log into the servers that the Players crash them at first, and that Cryptic has the money to build better servers that allow everyone to enjoy STO that wants to. [/b]

I am NOT attempting "to paint the game in a bad light"....I am have only been voicing my opinions as to how and why I believe STO should be designed differently than the current development plan. Now is the time to voice my opinions for once the game is released it is too late then.

Fare Well Hagonbok, I leave these forums to you and the other Posters. May you have many an excellent discussion about MMOs here.

Gardavil,

Don't let yourself be pushed from the boards. Just take the excellent advice that ozmono gave me... just ignore him. It's not worth the effort.

There are alot of folks here that get EXACTLY what you are saying. Frankly I like both the combat/achiever and social/rp aspect of MMO's. Feel the same way about P-N-P RPG's (not surprising since those are the two big player populations for those).  Bottom line is that these type of games attract alot of different types of players.... not surprising there, people are different. However very often games do try to be too many things to too many different people and fail because of it. In that sense, I suppose it is a wise choice to narrow their focus...... just a very weird decision for a Star Trek genre game to choose to focus on the combat/achiever aspect.... seems to go against the grain of what the series was about.  I could see that for the Warhammer genre...natural evolution  from the table-top minitures game.

Also kinda odd that so many MMO's seem to emphasize the combat/achiever style when they are actualy comparatively poor at being able to deliver that (at least the combat/strategy portion of it). I haven't seen an MMO that could hold a candle to the combat experience delivered by something like the Battlefield series ( although WWII online isn't terrible for that).... or that strategy of PBEM wargames like Combat Mission, Advanced Tactics, etc.

Those are the type of games I goto when I'm looking to satisfy a combat/strategy fix. The combat/strategy aspects of MMO's are mind-numbingly simple and often downright "gamey" in that regards. I'm surprised they don't try to emphasize the social/rp aspects more....since that's one experience that they could deliver better then other types of games.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by GrumpyMel2

Gardavil,

Don't let yourself be pushed from the boards. Just take the excellent advice that ozmono gave me... just ignore him. It's not worth the effort.

There are alot of folks here that get EXACTLY what you are saying. Frankly I like both the combat/achiever and social/rp aspect of MMO's. Feel the same way about P-N-P RPG's (not surprising since those are the two big player populations for those).  Bottom line is that these type of games attract alot of different types of players.... not surprising there, people are different. However very often games do try to be too many things to too many different people and fail because of it. In that sense, I suppose it is a wise choice to narrow their focus...... just a very weird decision for a Star Trek genre game to choose to focus on the combat/achiever aspect.... seems to go against the grain of what the series was about.  I could see that for the Warhammer genre...natural evolution  from the table-top minitures game.

Also kinda odd that so many MMO's seem to emphasize the combat/achiever style when they are actualy comparatively poor at being able to deliver that (at least the combat/strategy portion of it). I haven't seen an MMO that could hold a candle to the combat experience delivered by something like the Battlefield series ( although WWII online isn't terrible for that).... or that strategy of PBEM wargames like Combat Mission, Advanced Tactics, etc.

Those are the type of games I goto when I'm looking to satisfy a combat/strategy fix. The combat/strategy aspects of MMO's are mind-numbingly simple and often downright "gamey" in that regards. I'm surprised they don't try to emphasize the social/rp aspects more....since that's one experience that they could deliver better then other types of games.

There we have it folks. The mind set being dealt with here encapsulated. Just ignore those that don't agree with you, or those that don't cave in after being insulted and harangued for holding their viewpoints. No surprise though, since this type of behaviour is seen in almost every forum for every game out there.

The "We want a x themed chat room" crowd pulls this stuff all the time. Post after post of misinformation and wild eyed tirades directed at those that don't agree, and then ignore those that try and offer a glimmer of truth.

GG people. At least your type is always consistent if nothing else.

It doesn't change the facts though. Star Trek Online is going to have ample tools and environments for people to RP with and socialize in, and ship interiors will be added in at a later date.

These arguments that you, Garedavil, and others continue to make are a case of the emporer not wearing any clothes. They have no basis in reality.  Just wild whining because things aren't being done exactly the way you want them done. It's like watching kindergarten children stomping their feet and holding their breath because they didn't get chocolate milk on the day they wanted it.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

For the record Gardavil, I never considered your posts personal.  You stated your reasons well and I hope you stick around.I don't believe this game will come anywhere near WOW numbers because the IP has never had the mass appeal of a Star Wars or LOTR. If it has around 500k then that would exceed expectations.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft