Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the PvE?

MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

I see a lot of focus on realm versus realm on the website and from talk, but I'm a PvE type of player, not PvP.  So, how does the game fare in that regard?  Does it have raids and also is there other things to do PvE wise besides just raids?

Comments

• DeathPriestDeathPriest Member Posts: 61

theres alot to do pve wise in atlantis and stuff, and yea theres dragon bosses etc.. to kill,  but the game was virturaly dead when i quit, and that was several years back..

Divine
    Strength and Honor
    www.divineguild.com

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142

In it's hayday, pve in this game was just a steping stone to get to the RvR.  This ment that most people killed mobs to get the gear and exp so that they could go out and defend the ream.  Once Trials of Atlantis came out it started to focus more on pve tactics and massive raids that required large amounts of commitment time wise.  This struck a sour note with the current players.  Many claim that this was one of the major blows to the game that send the people running.  It is one of the reasons Classic servers were created where ToA is completely ommited.

As of late I think they've allowed you to purchase all the ToA items using bounty points collected through RvR combat since the population is down and not many people had the will or the time to gather together the people necessary for the encounters. 

I've always done it the way I've just described it.  It was always a secondary option in regards to things to do in the game so I might be somewhat biased.  There are plenty of dungeons to explore and quite a few instances since the implementation of Catacombs expansion.  I'd say get a 10 day free trial and check it out.  The only real way you'll know if this game is for you.  There is a PvE server as well where there is no fighting among the realms and they can actually group together and tackle things.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

I'm enjoying the pve myself. With all the new expansions, there are so many places to go level, and lots of new quests. Plus, the leveling speed has been increased, so it's not nearly as painful of a level grind as it was at release.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

To be honest, I miss the long leveling myself.  Call me a masochist if you want but it gave me tons of time to hang with people and just enjoy.  Now everything is sped up.  Nobody enjoys things they way they used to.  They just rush toward the end like there's something amazing that happens when you get there.  Then once they get there they bitch and complain that there's nothing more to do.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375

I'm actually taking my time to 50 myself. I'm doing a lot of crafting and exploring different areas of the game that I haven't seen before. I'm in no hurry to hit level 50. I've had offers to power level my character to 50 and declined.

The level grind was way to harsh at release though. A lot of people, myself included, quit because we got tired of the grind.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I've always liked the pve. Even back in its prime the leveling seemed fast to me. Solo, or get a good group in lyonesse with the autopull on gobs, what fun! The rvr was/is where it is at, but I liked the pve better than most games today, lol. It was also nice to stop at the various BGs for a bit (when they came out).

Today, leveling is mostly a solo prospect and very fast. There is a minor revival on devon cluster, but really the population is just too low. If you bring friends, you could have a blast though. War has the population, but no where near the great gameplay as daoc in both pve and rvr, but is a decent-solid game.

Not sure if you started or not, but give it a try. The movement will seem clunky at first, but you get used to it. If pve is really your main focus, the game is probably not for you, since its bread and butter is the rvr. That is also ignoring the population problems, but it is a game someone should experience, hehe.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Originally posted by templarga

I wish I could find a group who wanted to experience the journey more than the destination and take their time leveling and just explore and do the old world dungeons. If I did, I would return in a heartbeat,

I used to do this.  I'd every so often get a tell from random people going "cursed tomb?  where's that?"  and once I'd tell them that it's not at ask dungeon they'd usually lose interest because it's so backwards to them for some reason.  I did find one person who actually liked the idea and I played with them for a bit.  Other then that the mentality of the player base (at least the new one) has changed.  It's nowhere near what it used to be when I started.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DoonyaDoonya Member Posts: 18

If you enjoy pve you might like to try the Gaheris server where there is no rvr/pvp and you can play all 3 realms on the one server.

It's a real friendly server too with lots of events aimed specifically at new players (both new to game and new to gaheris) and most players there are willing to help out.

There are raids just about every day and other things to do aside from the quests available on all servers are keep takes, which are unique to gaheris.

• vistakahvistakah Member Posts: 118

The PVE is as good as any game ever released if thats what your after and alot of folks are.  The story lines are actually interesting compared to many games. I've been playing off and on since the game was released and since i generally go for the RVR part of the game i neglect all the PVE that you can find in this game. I've probably only explored half or less of the lands in this game since release. I've played every game with PVE released in the last 5-6 years and i don't know why but i just prefer DAOC over anything. I prefer the magic graphics, combat mechanics  etc, etc.  People looking for a new experience should try it out for a month. You will find more then not people saying " Why didn't i try this before".  I dream of a day DAOC 2 would be released but thats just a dream.