Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer advertisements on WoW sites: Is anyone biting??

popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Just curious...

I see that Mythic/EA is now on a heavy adverstisement campaign on various WoW support sites like Wowhead and Wow wiki. Full page skin ads with no other advertising for anything but Warhammer Online.

Has anyone here been swayed or tempted to try Warhammer Online because of these ads?

Do you think it was a good idea by Wowhead and others to accept advertising from the site's readers competition?

Do you think this sounds like desperation for Warhammer Online or just a shrewd business campaign against a competetitor?

If anyone played Warhammer Online before, do these ads make you consider going back, or will you wait for the new content coming soon from Blizzard for Wow?

EDIT: Last question: Do you think this confirms what many people have said that since Warhammer's launch that they've always wanted WoW's customer base and were directly competing with WoW contrary to Mythic's protest otherwise?

Comments

• gnlLucidgnlLucid Member Posts: 310
    Originally posted by popinjay

Just curious...

I see that Mythic/EA is now on a heavy adverstisement campaign on various WoW support sites like Wowhead and Wow wiki. Full page skin ads with no other advertising for anything but Warhammer Online.

Has anyone here been swayed or tempted to try Warhammer Online because of these ads?
    Do you think it was a good idea by Wowhead and others to accept advertising from the site's readers competition?
    Do you think this sounds like desperation for Warhammer Online or just a shrewd business campaign against a competetitor?
    If anyone played Warhammer Online before, do these ads make you consider going back, or will you wait for the new content coming soon from Blizzard for Wow?

You realize WoW has done the same for every expansion they've ever made... right?

As for will I go back to WAR, maybe someday if theres more content added.

Will I ever go back to WoW?  Only if I want to be bored to death.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I resubbed prior to the adds, but it was a result of the win back campaign they are running.

My personal speculation is that the ad campaign is half desperation and half business savy. 

Lich king is around the time where it might be wearing off on people since the raid content is lacking.  An ad campaign prior to 3.1 patch is good timing. 

Also I think mythic is in deep water considering how much was invested in this game and the large amount of people that left.  They were most certainly aiming for 3 million players, but are struggling to hold onto 10% of that right now.  Considering how trigger happy ea is with killing mmos I would worry if I worked at mythic.

• popinjaypopinjay Member Posts: 6,539

Originally posted by gnlLucid

You realize WoW has done the same for every expansion they've ever made... right?

I'm not sure Blizzard was in the same financial situation and subscription deficit as Mythic is with Warhammer now though, hence the questions.

• AethiosAethios Member Posts: 1,527

I've been going out of my way to make sure my friends DON'T play Warhammer.

The game is shallow, empty, and broken. It has a few features that I find intriguing, but even those are mangled beyond any usefulness. In the end, WoW is simply more fun.

I am about sick of going to WoWhead and the like and having 90% of the page be click-through links to Warhammer though. I'm sure 90% of their website traffic is generated by uninterested WoW-players who are just trying to find info on the latest quest line.

• GarfunkelGarfunkel Member UncommonPosts: 224

I keep active accounts on WoW, WAR and LOTRO as they are all very different games.

WoW is 90% PvE and the pvp is an after thought tagged on the end. The PvE in WAR is not the primary focus, it's more about the group PvP, so I'm not sure if WoW'ers would stop past the free trial.

WAR has no let-up on it's gritty 'war is everywhere' feel although it's presented in a tongue in cheek sense. The crafting is a non-entity and there's no change of pace on offer. It doesn't have any light-hearted corners for you to go hide in for some time-out.

So in that respect I think people will burn out on it and drift back to WoW after a time. Although some will keep accounts on both. The other big difference to WoW is the game world. The zones feel like a series of separte instances linked by loading screens rather than the large and immersive game world I've grown used to in other games like WoW, LOTRO, LienageII, DoAC, etc. This won't bother everyone but will bother people who like to roam around a big seamless world and explore like me.

The other major thing I think WAR is missing is charcaters will stand-out skills. I mean like in WoW Warriors have charge, Mages have Blink, Paladins have divinve shield, etc., etc..... WAR's character skills are pretty meh. I had a hard time actually choosing a class having tried all of them and none of them grabbed me. I settled on Marauder and Engineer in the end.

I'm not saying WAR isn't good, it is - it's great - but it lacks a lot compared to WoW and is alittle like comparing chalk and cheese. Maybe after another year or so of adding content there could be more to it.

edit: I created a new class on WAR this weekend for the first time since the big patch - an Orc Choppa - and It's the best I've tried so far. I'm enjoying it so much that I'm going to make WAR my main game now. I had reached a plateau in WoW where I wasn't really interested in the PvE and the PvP is woefully under-developed. LOTRO is more of a filler for me now. So we'll see how it goes.

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118

Originally posted by Gravarg

"majority of ads on wikia and wikipedia come from googleads. The Company has no real say in what ads come up for each sight. Google uses thier search engine to determine the best results and then puts in an ad that might interest the viewer. Since WoW and WAR are both MMORPGs it only makes sense. It's like when I go to the grocery store and after I check out, buying diapers, I'll get coupons for huggies or some other brand, the company that makes huggies pays an ad agency to do this for them. If you buy anything like baby wipes, strollers, anything baby related, the computer that prints out the coupons picks it up, and says print out this coupon they might like it. Same thing happens with googleads."

-----------------------------------------------------

I did download the trial, but I had heard about it elsewhere (when the trial was only for Fileplanet users).  Frankly, I was not very impressed.  The PvP could be fun at times, but I honestly saw it as really no different from any of the PvP I could play in WoW.  Instead of going into a battleground, you instead wandered into a specific zone where you did the same thing in WoW... get in a group and fight over an objective.  I also found there seemed to be a delay between damage dealt and it showing up on health bars which resulted in massive and sudden health drops; being a healer class this was quite a pain.  I think the game could potentially be better given 6-months to a year to really become what it was intended to be (hence why I refuse to buy MMOs when they first come out), but even then I imagine it will not be too different.

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!