Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I was poded with minutes after getting my new ship

Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

I install the game a few days ago, i'm still on my first agent 10 steps storyline mission.  I think i'm at 5th of the 10 mission where i get my new ship.  Then the agent send me to investigate some gate, no problem, i get there and the tutorial tells me that i need to change something in my overview to see large object, so while i'm doing this, that gate start shooting at me.....

And when i say shooting, i mean killing me !  First hit all my shield and half my armor is gone, by the time i have time to react, he shoot me again and poof i'm in my pod ......

So i'm wondering, what's the point of that ?  You still learning the game, trying to figure out stuff, you just acquire a new ship the mission before and the agent send you investigate something that destroy your ship in 2 hits ?

Comments

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

I think you ran into that messed up mission with the poison cloud.

You need to warp away fast, actually that little popup and the warning in local chat tells you to run away lol

Thats not being podded btw, just getting blown up, being podded sucks ass.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• miagisanmiagisan Member Posts: 5,156

yeah the poison cloud mission is a pain, you have to warp out fast. But it also tells you in the mission you should be using an afterburner. This will get you in and out of the mission fast and you can speed tank the npc in there so he wont hit you.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144

Sorry to hear this in your start in EVE but things sometimes happen. Was your ship insured? If not, not a big deal. Just buy a another for now. Also check out eve-survival.org/wikka.php it is a very helpful site and can save you the pain.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

And if you weren't doing the poison cloud mission, its possible while changing your overview around you targeted and accidently shot the gate.   That will get you killed quickly as well.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XennithXennith Member Posts: 1,244

welcome to eve.

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

"Your computer detects massive amounts of posion gas and radioactive materials pouring out of the Stargate."

Yes, it should pop up on the screen instead of appearing in local chat, but there is a warning. Once you get within, I think about 5,000 or so meters of the gate, WARP OUT.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    Originally posted by Bruticus_XI

"Your computer detects massive amounts of posion gas and radioactive materials pouring out of the Stargate."

Yes, it should pop up on the screen instead of appearing in local chat, but there is a warning. Once you get within, I think about 5,000 or so meters of the gate, WARP OUT.

I tried but i was too zoomed in on my ship to click the empty space and warp out lol.   By the time i zoomed out, my ship was destroyed.

• ViluVilu Member Posts: 26

Tell me your in-game name and starting race, and i'll get you a contract up for fully fitted frigate in your local station. (Amarr = Punisher, Minmatar = Rifter, Caldari = Kestrel). Also if you could tell what's your engineering / electronics / mechanic skills so i can see what kind of equipment you can fit in.

Ofcourse for free :P

edit:

Oh and, you can just right click on a station in overview and select "dock" and it will warp out. If you don't have stations visible i would suggest you play around with the settings to at least have them in their own tab.

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

To quote the honourable Homer Simpson verbatim, ' D'OH!'

Losing ships though is a great way to learn the game quickly.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• BrixonBrixon Member UncommonPosts: 259

I'm currently doing the trial and one thing is for sure, EVE doesn't hold your hand. This is not a bad thing, but it can be frustrating until you figure something out. The good part of that is you have a higher sense of accomplishment when you do. There is a lot of learning things the hard way. This game is definitely not for the weak. I'm thinking I might stay after the trial.

best thing to do is join a friendly, noob loving corp. They can teach you things along the way. I have been playing for almost 5 months....and i still elarn things daily.

Yesterday i learned of Data centers and Cosmos agents.

• ChramChram Member Posts: 91

Something similar happened to me.  I managed to warp out in time from the situation you mentioned, but a few missions later, where you have to destroy Tahamars base (not sure of spelling), I got repeatedly owned by his sentries in a matter of seconds. After losing two Condors (thats a lot of money for a noob, especially considering how ridiculously ovepriced the basic equipment is in the starting areas) I finally did some googling around and found how the mission is supposed to be run, then finished it with an Ibis.  I guess doing ones homework pays off.

• hail2dathiefhail2dathief Member UncommonPosts: 232

Yeah this is weird because i did the free trial just a few weeks ago and remember that exact mission.  I was shot at a few times but it didn't do nearly the amount of damage you are talking about.  I even sat there for the hell of it and shot that damn gate for like 10 min. then warped out.  Don't know why I would have no problem getting shot multiple times and didn't die.  Another thing though is make sure you insure the ship and you'll get money when it gets destroyed.  Other than that get in your old ship and mine a few times and just buy a better ship, i had like 4 ships in my first week no problem.  Well good luck to you, the game is pretty sweet and huge learning curve so just pray you can get into a corp for newbies or something because the possibilities are limitless with this game. 

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330

I haven't ever come across this mission. Is it a Caldari one? I run Gallente missions. There is this horrible L1 though in which you have to use a frigate to jump a bunch of gates very quickly to get to the right stage where you can complete the mission. I almost lost my rifter in it. If you hate this mission, perhaps you should try a different NPC corp for missions? I think the Gallente ones overall are pretty good.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• DevilXaphanDevilXaphan Member UncommonPosts: 1,144
    Originally posted by APRAurore

I haven't ever come across this mission. Is it a Caldari one? I run Gallente missions. There is this horrible L1 though in which you have to use a frigate to jump a bunch of gates very quickly to get to the right stage where you can complete the mission. I almost lost my rifter in it. If you hate this mission, perhaps you should try a different NPC corp for missions? I think the Gallente ones overall are pretty good.

Sounds like a Worlds Collide mission, always an eye opening feeling doing that one.

I love World's Collide and The Blockade.....great missions, tons of fighting, and lots of loot/salvage.

But, i would recommend to all new players, get some friends or get into a good corp which likes new players, to help you with your learning and missions. Alot of these missions will not be soloable for new players, and having friends is a HUGE positive.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

OP plz provide kill mail so we can understand what happen there

-thx

BestSigEver :P

• ViluVilu Member Posts: 26
    Originally posted by DevilXaphan

Originally posted by APRAurore

Sounds like a Worlds Collide mission, always an eye opening feeling doing that one.

It's not Worlds Collide as far as i can tell. It's one of those missions in the 10 mission chain after the first 2 tutorial missions. (still tutorial missions afaik) In the mission you have to approach a destroyed ship and pick something up (if i don't remember wrong) and when you get near it, you get a warning in the chat about smart bombs and that you should warp away immediately, or you'll get killed in 3-5 hits based on if you're running a buffer or active tank in your frigate. Also 3 rats spawn right after that, which will most likely destroy you if you survive the smartbombs and decide to stay.

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

You might take Vilu up on his offer to buy you a new frigate. I'd bet it's good!

I just returned to EVE after a four year break myself (and I only played a month or two then), and a couple of days ago got my Cruiser - outfitted for mining at the time - snuffed by a player pirate in secure space. That really hurt me financially. But I warned other miners in the constellation about this joker, and many were sympathetic. One even said he was sending me some ISK. So I check my account 15 minutes or so later, and the dude had put in 10 million. Enough to replace everything I had lost. I sure wish I had written down his name so I could have thanked him.

Anyway, I have one small question myself. This pirate destroys my jet can, but then he doesn't shoot at me. But he's (some degree of?) red to me, and he pissed me off. So I open fire on him first - because I do still have a couple of heavy missile launchers loaded on my Rupture. And he is in a Rifter. So he warp scrambles me, we duke it for five minutes or so, and Concord never shows. And I eventually go down.

Did I make some kind of mistake by opening fire first? Will Concord even go to an asteroid belt? Thanks for any insight.

BTW - I now fit two 'warp core stabilizers' on my Cruiser when I'm using it for mining.

• kattehuskattehus Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by Pynda

Anyway, I have one small question myself. This pirate destroys my jet can, but then he doesn't shoot at me. But he's (some degree of?) red to me, and he pissed me off. So I open fire on him first - because I do still have a couple of heavy missile launchers loaded on my Rupture. And he is in a Rifter. So he warp scrambles me, we duke it for five minutes or so, and Concord never shows. And I eventually go down.
    Did I make some kind of mistake by opening fire first? Will Concord even go to an asteroid belt? Thanks for any insight.
    BTW - I now fit two 'warp core stabilizers' on my Cruiser when I'm using it for mining.

He stole stuff from your jet can, making him red to you - but this isn't a CONCORD issue.

Then you fire at him, making you red to him - so he can fire back without CONCORD coming.

Yes, CONCORD will show in belts and such, if fx you fired at him without him being flashy red, or if he fired at you.

Taking stuff from jet cans is usually one of the easiest ways of getting some high-sec pvp, and usually the people who do it, fit something that can take down stuff fit for mining (e.g. not much tank, not many weapons.)

You don't need stabs (shortname for warp core stabilizers) for mining, really. Only if you get shot at. I'd fit mining upgrades instead.

Oh, and.. If you go to your wallet, under Journal, in the "Ref. Type" you can choose "Player Donation" and see the guys name. -If he doesn't show up, just change the date back a few days. (:

|< I 1 1 I |\| 6 _ Z 0 |\/| 8 I 3 5 _ 5 I |\| C 3 _ 1 9 9 0
    -Actively playing Eve.
    Follow my tweet (:
  • SuperwasbeerSuperwasbeer Member Posts: 85

Hmm this sounds like a nice game, having your own ship and such

• jayheld90jayheld90 Member UncommonPosts: 1,726

you got podded by minutes? time really must hate you.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

Losing a ship in Eve is like dying in a Fantasy MMO, no biggie.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

Losing a ship in Eve is like dying in a Fantasy MMO, no biggie.

Er....no, not like a Fantasy MMO at all unless you mean DF or some other game where full looting is employed.

Sure, a cheap T1 ship like a cruiser is no big deal, especially if insured, but lose a T2 HAC or fully tricked out BS and you can be out a couple of hundred million ISK pretty quick, which people try to avoid if at all possible.

Makes the combat markedly different when everyone's tactics are totally geared to making the other guy die while you survive no matter what.

And while I don't fly them, I'm sure people who lose 4 billion ISK capitals aren't particularly thrilled and do consider it somewhat of an event.

No, EVE isn't much like a typical fantasy MMO at all actually.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• sushimeessushimees Member Posts: 489

I know that mission. It's pretty annoying but it was funny the first time cause it was me trying to destroy the gate. I didn't realize it was hitting me back but when it finally hit me, it took down my shields in like 2 shots.