Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Best PvE game on the market

13»

Comments

• IonselonIonselon Member Posts: 248

Welcome home. :)

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by ethion

bah I gave it a try buy my account isn't active....

Not sure why, and there is all ways the trial.

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553
    Originally posted by Talemire

Best PvE is a toss up between VG and LOTRO, but i like VG's gameplay a lot more.

As mentioned before, two great games... but it's a matter preference.

I had a real good friend leave Vanguard and go to LOTRO.  I think one issue was that he simply over-played Vanguard for 1.5 years and needed a different experience.  But more central to the issue was that he had a REALLY tough time with contested content... he hated the stress being the very laid-back kind of guy he was.  So when Vanguard made overland mobs contested he stopped coming to those raids.  And when the population began to rise and guilds started to return we always found ourselves raiding with 2-3 other guilds in the same APW shard.  He would log right out :)

I kinda like the contested content... not meaning that we rush to kill something before another guild, but instead the cooperation it requires with other guilds.  Merging forces to take out an overland, or coordinating crawls through APW so you don't trip over one another, lending another raid-force a Psionicist or Necro for a fight :)  Even taking out all the guardians for a particular boss for another guild to help them out on a Boss.

So I like that, sometimes contested content is stressful, but I just love the thought of one big world, no instances.  My friend on the other hand found that he much preferrred an instanced world and being able to enjoy a less stressful progression with his guild on LOTRO.

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Originally posted by boojiboy

Best PvE is a toss up between VG and LOTRO, but i like VG's gameplay a lot more.

I kinda like the contested content... not meaning that we rush to kill something before another guild, but instead the cooperation it requires with other guilds.  Merging forces to take out an overland, or coordinating crawls through APW so you don't trip over one another, lending another raid-force a Psionicist or Necro for a fight :)  Even taking out all the guardians for a particular boss for another guild to help them out on a Boss.

I enjoy contested content also, but sometimes it brings out the worst in people. Small server population is actually a boon to this style of play.

One of the better features that the original vision of vanguard promised was the advanced encounter system.  I remember reading that since the world was not instanced they came up with some mechanics that benefited multiple groups to cooperate when going after the same objective (boss, named, etc) instead of kill stealing or racing past each other to tag the mob first to ensure they get loot rights.  It is a shame that never developed past a theory.

I miss the days where games did not limit raids/dungeons to certain sizes and the group determined how many people would come along based on skill or just companionship. 

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

comparing this game against whats out there now its actually very well done.  Its certainly not what the game was going to be under the Sigil banner but it has its own quirky little neat features.

sometimes i rent a griffon and just go flying for no reason. I haven't dont something for ' no reason' since eq :)

• EleazarosEleazaros Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by boojiboy

As mentioned before, two great games... but it's a matter preference.

I had a real good friend leave Vanguard and go to LOTRO.  I think one issue was that he simply over-played Vanguard for 1.5 years and needed a different experience.  But more central to the issue was that he had a REALLY tough time with contested content... he hated the stress being the very laid-back kind of guy he was.  So when Vanguard made overland mobs contested he stopped coming to those raids.  And when the population began to rise and guilds started to return we always found ourselves raiding with 2-3 other guilds in the same APW shard.  He would log right out :)

So I like that, sometimes contested content is stressful, but I just love the thought of one big world, no instances.  My friend on the other hand found that he much preferrred an instanced world and being able to enjoy a less stressful progression with his guild on LOTRO.

I have a liftime membership in LOTRO but I've exhausted the content.  That sounds lame but it's more than true.  3 60th level alts, dozens I played elsewhere, etc...  The new content in the game is mostly "fed-ex" delivery type stuff and daily grind loops for reputation tokens to trade for things. 

In LOTRO, end game is 12 person raids and there are only 2 "lair" fights -- 1 currently off-line, that can be done once a week.  That is *IT* for raid content and the group make-up is 3 ranged DPS, 3 melee DPS, 2 healers, 2 "other" where only 3 classes, of 9, qualify as DPS.  In the older lands, pre-moria when level 50 was tops, there were 2 raid locations total: The Rift and Helegrond -- a 12 person raid and a "not so popular" 24 person raid -- both 50th level.

It's a fun game but 90% is solo material and about 10% is group.  Raid content is less than .1% of the game -- probably closer to .01%.  TONS of solo stuff so if you like to chat while soloing, it's an excellent game and the community is stellar.

I'm looking for a bit more so I'm looking here right now.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Rekindle

comparing this game against whats out there now its actually very well done.  Its certainly not what the game was going to be under the Sigil banner but it has its own quirky little neat features.
    sometimes i rent a griffon and just go flying for no reason. I haven't dont something for ' no reason' since eq :)

Hehe I am always low on money so I dont do that in VG.

But I love flying around on my permanent flying mount just to see the world. :)