Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So this guy tells me to go back to WoW...

RumourRumour Member Posts: 114

...So I did. I was in warhammer and was bummed on the lack of any kind of good PvE and said something about it in chat and they told me to go back to WoW.

So on Saturday I re-installed my old vanilla WoW. I don't have any expansions because I left about 3 years ago.

I'm actually having a real good time playing this. I was kind of hesitant to belive it at first, but even just the fact that the game is so well put together is something I totally forgot about playing games that just feel kind of clunky and not synced. Its really nice to see lots of people around and it being such an active bustling world. The game just runs so well and I never lag or get glitches. So I guess I'm gonna try and get my first char up to max level. (I never did when it was just vanilla.)

Warhammer tought me that I like PvP but not so much when I can't take a break for some good PvE.

Vanguard taught me that I really need other people around for a game to feel like a MASSIVE multiplayer game.

Tabula Rasa taught me that Richard Garriot has lost his damn mind.

UO taught me to love MMO's.

Asherons Call taught me to love exploring and going off the beaten path.

Now WoW has taught me to not be so elitist that I play games I don't enjoy to feel like im not a WoW kiddie.

I say all this because I think alot of people probobly feel the same way and I think alot of people act like these games aren't even about having fun anymore. I think I became one of those people and I kept buying games that weren't fun simply because I love MMOs but refused to be a "WoW player."

Comments

• scot835scot835 Member Posts: 50

I to play wow and war, but what i do is switch back and forth every three months or so. i am not quiting the games, and the chars are always there. just a thought.

ps: i also play lotro in that mix.

• xbellx777xbellx777 Member Posts: 716

yup i agree i went back to wow a couple of weeks ago and started another new toon and im really enjoying it again. i think that when my sub runs out im gonna try a couple other mmo's before i make the decision on which one to play. but ya wow has been fun the last few days. personally i never take to heart when people  give their reasons why they play this game or that or hate that game. its all about what you like, not what other people say about the game

• Axllow18Axllow18 Member UncommonPosts: 400

Congrats man, I dont play wow anymore (Got sick of it) but it doesnt make it a bad game. I found WoW to be a bit lacking in pvp for me but thats just personal flavor.

• AriocArioc Member Posts: 299

This post made me happy to read. :) Thank you poster, it makes me happy to see someone picking a game they like and just playing and not trying to leap to the next game and be part of the in-crowd raging against every game that dosn't satisfy their ideal mmo design.

I mean come on people, these are video games. They're ment to be fun, distractions and relaxation, lf you've invested yourself so heavily into a game that you suffer needlessly out of some idealism then you're too far down the rabbit hole to realize you're in it.

Arioc Murkwood
    Environment Artist
    Sad but true.

• scot835scot835 Member Posts: 50

I get sick of all of them, that is why i set up the schedual to switch back and forth, so is not to dispise a single game, kick that around a little and try it out for a year.

• RocktoberRocktober Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by Rumour

...So I did. I was in warhammer and was bummed on the lack of any kind of good PvE and said something about it in chat and they told me to go back to WoW.
    Now WoW has taught me to not be so elitist that I play games I don't enjoy to feel like im not a WoW kiddie.
    I say all this because I think alot of people probobly feel the same way and I think alot of people act like these games aren't even about having fun anymore. I think I became one of those people and I kept buying games that weren't fun simply because I love MMOs but refused to be a "WoW player."

Good post, and glad you are back and having fun!  I saw similar messages when people asked questions in WAR ("Go back to WoW, noob" etc).  That does not of course mean that everyone there is like that, but there was certainly a bit of snobbery toward WoW.  Which as the end of your post elludes to, it is not uncommon.  I know a lot of people who refuse to play WoW because of either the "Kiddie stigma" or the fact that because it is so popular, it is therefore cool to NOT play it (??).  Infact, as for myself I knew about WoW for a while but was unimpressed with the cartoon-ish look.  It was not until I was bored with everything else I had that I decided to download a trial just for the heck of it.  And what the heck!? I was having fun!  I bought the game before my trial was even up and have been enjoying it since!  Sure there may be a lot of younger players, but I can attest to the fact that there are a LOT of older and mature players as well.  Counting myself and the people I know that play it, there's atleast 8 people who are in their late twenties and up..all grown adults.  My guess is, referring to it as a kiddie game, or the MMO for noobs just makes them feel superior for five minutes while they go back to playing the game they probably do not really enjoy.  Jealousy in a way, but too shy to actually try the other thing for fear of the stigma they have placed with it.

That is just my opinion at least (sorry for the ramble!).  But like I said, I am glad you are back and having fun; in the end that is all that really matters that YOU are having fun doing what makes you happy!

------------------------------------------------------------
    You can't win - if you strike me down I shall respawn more powerful than you could possibly imagine!

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    Originally posted by Rumour

So on Saturday I re-installed my old vanilla WoW. I don't have any expansions because I left about 3 years ago.
    I'm actually having a real good time playing this. I was kind of hesitant to belive it at first, but even just the fact that the game is so well put together is something I totally forgot about playing games that just feel kind of clunky and not synced. Its really nice to see lots of people around and it being such an active bustling world. The game just runs so well and I never lag or get glitches. So I guess I'm gonna try and get my first char up to max level. (I never did when it was just vanilla.)
    Warhammer tought me that I like PvP but not so much when I can't take a break for some good PvE.
    Vanguard taught me that I really need other people around for a game to feel like a MASSIVE multiplayer game.
    Tabula Rasa taught me that Richard Garriot has lost his damn mind.
    UO taught me to love MMO's.
    Asherons Call taught me to love exploring and going off the beaten path.

I'm glad you've gained some MMO enlightment, even if it is later in the journey. I think WOW is a good game, especially for those that want a piece of it all. I play WAR, and it suits me because I want a heavier emphasis on PvP. If I was more neutral in my likes, I'd be playing WoW too. I played WoTLK and have 1 lvl 80 with a full set of T7 gear. WoW definitely has a lot to offer.

Since you're just returning, I suggest heading over to the Borean Tundra server, because it's only about 2 months old. It's the newest server out and is really active.

• thanos1313thanos1313 Member Posts: 183

well, as for the WAR playerbase..i dont play, so i can just go off whats in here. but, atlest on the draka server, its not much better on WoW. given, its been getting better lately..just never..never..for the love of all that is good and holy step even half a foot into the crossroads. as for the rest of the post..GOOD FOR YOU! glad to see someone else doing what they have fun with instead of just what they dont get shit for. like me and runescape(/sigh) i switch between that and WoW every now and then..and, lets just say..runescape players and WoW players seem to hate each other. but..i just ignore it, even though i did have to leave one guild cause the leader himself was a cocklicker about it.

breaking news, a brawl broke out between the hogger and arthas the lich king downtown gadgetzan. there where no survivers

• RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586

There are a few people that don't play WoW because they think game and the people playing it are below them.  Terms like "WoW kiddie" are passed around while they pretend they've grown hairs on their chest because they played a game with a convoluted trade skill system, for example.  The motivations behind this are down to exactly the same psychology as suddenly not listening to a band because they've become more popular to the wider world.

Through their own stubborn nature these people have cheated themselves out of playing a good game, and are usually hoping the next big MMORPG release will be the second coming of Jesus, only to find themselves dissapointed and utterly confused.  "Why can't we have a great MMORPG?  Why can't I enjoy any modern MMORPS?".  The answer is that you've blinded yourselves to it in ignorance.  By disassociating yourself with all the good aspects of WoW, refusing to accept its qualities, you've essentially disassociated yourself with all that makes a game good.

But don't listen to me, I'm one of those peasant WoW kiddies you hear unpleasant stories about :p   Pray that I don't get into the beta of your next game to "poison" it with my WoW kiddishness!

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• illidannillidann Member Posts: 5

Go back to WoW, the is really improved since WoTLK.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

IM very crispy on WOW but will say that 1-60 are the most fun of the levels.  Wrath is a good xpac, much better than BC i think, but the lower levels are the best.

• APRAuroreAPRAurore Member Posts: 330
    Originally posted by grandpagamer

IM very crispy on WOW but will say that 1-60 are the most fun of the levels.  Wrath is a good xpac, much better than BC i think, but the lower levels are the best.

Heh heh I agree :) 

I also agree with the OP's TR statement.

WoW is overall a great game, though I wish Blizz would stop oversimplifying some aspects of it. I feel sorry for those who feel the need to identify one game to use as a scapegoat for all of the industry's problems, whether it has to do with game development or formation of player communities. Berating others for the games they play is a red herring argument made by those who have none. Just enjoy what you like to play most and sod the rest.

Back in EvE. Started with BatMUD. Main MMOs have been EvE and DAoC.

• IronZIronZ Member Posts: 107

WoW isn't a kiddie game, it's a highly populated game.  Take any game out there, any one, and then throw millions and millions of people into it and see what kind of community you get, lol.

The game has become easy to play, not complicated at all actually. That's one of the things that bores people I think.  The funny thing is that the people on the forums who say things like "go back to Wow" or "WoW kiddie" don't realize how immature they actually sound, hehe.  I do keep hoping for something else to come along, not because I hate WoW, but because I'm just getting bored to tears with it after 3 /12 years or so.

Z

Originally posted by IronZ

WoW isn't a kiddie game, it's a highly populated game.  Take any game out there, any one, and then throw millions and millions of people into it and see what kind of community you get, lol.
    The game has become easy to play, not complicated at all actually. That's one of the things that bores people I think.  The funny thing is that the people on the forums who say things like "go back to Wow" or "WoW kiddie" don't realize how immature they actually sound, hehe.  I do keep hoping for something else to come along, not because I hate WoW, but because I'm just getting bored to tears with it after 3 /12 years or so.

Z

Yes i too am very bored. Came back for wrath which is a good xpac but doubt i take my main the next two levels to 80. And i agree they have nerfed it terribly.  It hit me when i had my mage in Burning Steppes and realized the big drakes were no longer elite. I had great memories of that thing killing my hunter and remember how jazzed i was when i finally killed it. Well so it goes.

Yeah IronZ, they do sound really immature. I tend to dismiss posters who use that as an argument against other posters. I find it very hard to take anything they say seriously once they've used the 'go back to WoW' card. Seriously... this is just a hobby....

• ronan32ronan32 Member Posts: 1,418

Z

you're bored to tears with wow, yet you still play it. why?????????????

Originally posted by ronan32

Z

you're bored to tears with wow, yet you still play it. why?????????????

That is a question for the ages. I too have often wondered why i stayed with it as long as i did.

• gnlLucidgnlLucid Member Posts: 310

Wow always bored me but:

"Tabula Rasa taught me that Richard Garriot has lost his damn mind."

LOL, you win the internet for that.

Originally posted by Hydroblunt

<Mod Edit>

This is a perfect example of someone I don't take seriously in these forums. It's gross over-generalisation like this that just reflects poorly on the poster, and makes himself an emblem of what he's trying to prove is the case of WoW players.