Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm Shocked

Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

Because Alantica Online is actually.... Oh Gods how do I say this?....

...It was..... Good....

Mark this day on your calender. This is the day that Jimmy Scythe found an MMO that he actually liked from the git go. I've been saying for years that all MMORPGs completely and utterly suck. Well, I made concessions for Eve Online but it still wasn't my thing. Today I found an MMORPG that didn't fucking bore me to tears.

More scandelous still is the fact this is a free game!! Normally I download these Asian grinders, play them for a couple of days in hopes that they'll eventual become fun and then give up somewhere between the 15 and 20 hour mark. Pay to play Western MMOs don't fare much better.

Atlantica online was actually fun from the word go and I just spent 6 hours in one stretch on the damn thing. What's sad is that I'm jonesin' to log back in already. But it's late and I wanna wake up and get a whole day in tommarrow :-P

Just thought I'd publicly eat crow for those of you that've been waiting.

Comments

• Bruticus_XIBruticus_XI Member Posts: 827

Make sure you actually enjoy it and it's not just the aftereffect of something different (combat system primarly) that is talking.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

I figure if I'm still playing it at the end of the week, it'll be on my hard drive for a long, long time.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Is  a good game, but is more a JRPG than anithing else. If you don't like normally JRPG games, you will quit this one.   Anyway that you like it is another sign this game has good ideas.   Too bad good ideas is not enough...  but I suppose other games may clone some of the atlantica sucess and ideas... 

• TwistedFireTwistedFire Member Posts: 89

I'll admit, for a Korean free to play it's alright. But the quests are all the same. Kill this, collect that, kill boss repeat. The Comabt and Pvp was the best part of the game. I played till about level 33.

• trapezoniantrapezonian Member Posts: 124

The quest guides you on how to play the game. There are quests that make you go on a boss hunt or join the free league and also explore the game's interface. The quest really helps a lot for you to know the game, until you finish all quest and reach the high level you can enjoy going to the free leagues and nation wars.

• ReanemeikoReanemeiko Member Posts: 183

My first impression of this game is kinda boring, because i'm into a hack and slash one... but when my friends told me that this is good I try to play it... it's my first time to play a turn based game.. but other features of this game makes me fun.. the crafting, free league, birthday system and a lot more, but all I don't like is that there is always an announcement that will pop up to your screen about someone congratualting that he receives a Mercury mount and other items... it's irritating to me.. though I hope to have a mercury mount...I've never see a mount like that before in other games... hope they remove the announcements that disturbs me.. : (

*** Atlantica Online***Reanemeiko*** Mycenae

('@') Oink!

• BurnRubberBurnRubber Member Posts: 67
    Originally posted by TwistedFire

I'll admit, for a Korean free to play it's alright. But the quests are all the same. Kill this, collect that, kill boss repeat. The Comabt and Pvp was the best part of the game. I played till about level 33.

i totally agree with the quests part...its getting repetitive...although its still a level up game, you have to keep grinding and do things over and over. but i think all of these is worth it. once you get the gear you wish for, go to free leagues and show off your skills and brag about it :)

• pinoyjesterpinoyjester Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Jimmy_Scythe

Because Alantica Online is actually.... Oh Gods how do I say this?....
    ...It was..... Good....
    Mark this day on your calender. This is the day that Jimmy Scythe found an MMO that he actually liked from the git go. I've been saying for years that all MMORPGs completely and utterly suck. Well, I made concessions for Eve Online but it still wasn't my thing. Today I found an MMORPG that didn't fucking bore me to tears.
    More scandelous still is the fact this is a free game!! Normally I download these Asian grinders, play them for a couple of days in hopes that they'll eventual become fun and then give up somewhere between the 15 and 20 hour mark. Pay to play Western MMOs don't fare much better.
    Atlantica online was actually fun from the word go and I just spent 6 hours in one stretch on the damn thing. What's sad is that I'm jonesin' to log back in already. But it's late and I wanna wake up and get a whole day in tommarrow :-P
    Just thought I'd publicly eat crow for those of you that've been waiting.

Good to hear your enjoying this game so far....

I wish you could stay with this game for a longer time...

The quest part is repetitive in a way that it requires you to kill monsters all over again but its better than leveling up without any quest at and just killing monsters without any target goal and bonus exp after finishing the task. If they didn't made it that way how could you level up while doing quests.

• Nephilim26Nephilim26 Member Posts: 118

i am also kinda bored when i play it for the first time then after 2 to 4 days of playing

that's when you will feel the game more by  doing the quest and getting into freeleague and some of the features 

like fishing and crafting..

that's when the real game and fun begins when your starting to be a higher level...

• naga2009naga2009 Member Posts: 14

some quest are good for party and some quest can be done by solo.

• next_gennext_gen Member Posts: 11

this is much fun plaing atlantica than playing a console game. ie asily get bored in playing some console games, because there is no intercation goin on. You only play by you're while in this game, playing mmorpg especially this game AO is quiite interesting becasue of many quest and so many things to do inside the game. i found my self that i playing it for almost 5-8 hours a day.

• DarbiiRueDarbiiRue Member UncommonPosts: 832

I saw someone mention this earlier, I want to make sure before I download it... Is this game running on a turn-based combat system?

Yes it's battle system is turn-based.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by Splinki

I saw someone mention this earlier, I want to make sure before I download it... Is this game running on a turn-based combat system?

Yep, and it's awesome. I've said it a million times, but this is what final fantasy 11 should've been like (not that FFXI is a bad game, I played it for 4 years :))

The quests do repeat themselves and get rather boring, but that's what free league, arena, and nation wars are for, amirite?

• dubistblaudubistblau Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 274

hi there guys! its been a while since i posted here. hahha! i feel really left out when i see the forums so active and knowing that ive never posted even just once in that time. anyway, im so glad to know that there are people who are liking Atlantica. Ive been spending more time thinking if i should stay with the game coz im kinda getting tired now. anyway, i still enjoy it form time to time. Ive heard that there are going to be some new updates on the next patch. i dont know when its coming but i hope that they could fix the bugs that are ruining the game. anyway, i hope im still welcome here. :D peace!

• vonkeitzvonkeitz Member Posts: 166

at first i really dont like it much.. because the quest are tutorial of course every game must know the flow of the game first and  how to use its features. its a big game so i dont want to waste the time i download it so i give it a try again then i didnt not realize that i really enjoy it a lot and im really up to when im not playing this.

• spellweaver1spellweaver1 Member Posts: 31

I'm glad you like it! I've played DDO, WoW, and WAR, and Atlantica is the MMO I seem to have really settled into. Have you joined a guild? It opens up another dimension of play. Guild quests, crafts, and dungeons, and if your guild happens to be in a nation, there are also nation dungeons. And guildies can really help you with the finer points of the game.

• BurnRubberBurnRubber Member Posts: 67

speaking of guilds...it was my first time being in a guild dungeon before. it was kinda fun looking for mobs and killing them all in a limited time. lots of loot, and its worth the time.

• InktomiInktomi Member UncommonPosts: 663
    Originally posted by Gravarg

Originally posted by Splinki

Yep, and it's awesome. I've said it a million times, but this is what final fantasy 11 should've been like (not that FFXI is a bad game, I played it for 4 years :))

The quests do repeat themselves and get rather boring, but that's what free league, arena, and nation wars are for, amirite?

Yes you are. I played FFXI on Kajuta for 2 years, it wasnt the combat, the grind or the boring quests to just get a piece of armor that put that game in the doghouse. It was the griefing farmers, goldspammers and the gilsellers like IGE that killed the economy and ruined a great game. I feel that FFXI was a great starter MMO for me, but without wow around I would of stayed and sometimes I wish I did. But tbqh, wows inability to resell certain items kept things balanced and interestiing. Not that wow is the absolute perfect MMO, I'm still looking for that.

But about atlantica, I played it for a month and change until I got into the runes of magic beta; great concept and refreshing combat system made it fun and different. However, I would of rather focus on gearing up one character, not 9 and I'm not a big fan of cashoppery. That was my problem with AO.

But yes grevarg, you are right with the comparison of FFXI to AO, it would of made them such a dominant force in the gaming industry wow wouldn't of took over the mmo scene that easily.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

I like the game but the quest really was far too repetitive in nature & extremely formulaic, the quests that teach you about the game are ok but the rest is extremely thinly disguised grind dressed up as a storyline.

I feel that they stretched the game over far too many levels, I got to 65 & by then the repetitiveness has killed the enjoyment of questing, & a few friends told me they quit at 90+ because thats when the xp rate drops off to almost nothing & it become a grindcore extreme, free-league is good till you hit the mid tiers & the "scroll whores" with incredible gear as well as PvP specific builds.

I really liked the combat system but the game has 2 flaws, the lack of depth in it's simple quests & variety of tasks & it doesn't foster a sense of community very well (that may change 90+ with nations & guild dungeons etc).

I took a break to play something else but I'll probably potter around on it from time to time. 

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

I think the people that tend to like AO are the oens that go into it with an open mind.......Too many people hear terms like "item shop" or "turn based play" and decide they dont like it before they even give it a try..........

That's right. When I heard the turn based thing I didn't want to play the game. It's a good thing that they are releasing a new battle feature that is not turn based.