Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online - Newest Beta Trailer SUPER HIGH RES! (direct download link)

prowprow Member Posts: 188

Just wanted to post a direct link to the new high resolution video Mortal Online has released (on 3/18/09) Check it out:

www.archive.org/download/MortalOnline-BetaVideoHighRez/MOBetaFootage_HD720p.wmv

What you think? :D

Comments

• ganbeeganbee Member Posts: 233

OMG, Now they are cloning bad game's!

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

The blood from striking an oponent looks awsome. but they really REALLY need to tone it down on the ground blood texture. Cutting someone's head off does not create a 15 foot pool of blood just like that.
    Great potential for really good immersion factor, falling off horse, and staggering. They have all the right animations for mounting up ect. Looks REALLY nice. Instead of just popping onto a horse he actually grabs the saddle, and when running around he kept the lasso in hand and actally directed it.

Even after the guy started running without looking towards his hands, I got the feeling that he was actually steering it around, so the little animations have after effects even when not seeing them

Gotta say I am now official keeping a close eye on this title.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Originally posted by denshing

Cutting someone's head off does not create a 15 foot pool of blood just like that.

It probably does, but for aesthetic reasons I'll agree with you.

• MENGKESHIMENGKESHI Member Posts: 123

Looks good! Would have liked to see more combat in the video though...

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Looks great. Much better than I thought it would...

• napkinnapkin Member Posts: 1

dev said on the forums that they'll be replacing that blood pool with a seeping/spurting animation that looks more natural, but have it in currently to show the end result.

• prowprow Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by Zzulu

Looks great. Much better than I thought it would...

Once I saw this video, I said "fuck darkfall" because of their 8 hour queues, canceled my account and signed up for the MO beta... Look forward to playing a game that doesnt have 300+ ping because its hosted in a 3rd world country...

• markyturnipmarkyturnip Member UncommonPosts: 837

Hmm, looks nice enough - combat reminds me a bit of Age of Chivalry. Clearly there is that Dark Messiah feel as well... 

Anyhow, I wish this game all the best. That said, judging from what we see here, I would guess it's probably a very long way from release. Do I have any basis for saying that? Not really, except I have been watching the build-up of new MMOs for a while now, and this one feels in early days. Many hurdles yet to overcome!

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

Wow, I feel a chill... Could it be? Hell froze over?

For once in an MMORPG, a company gets it right. Finally... freaking finally... A very, very promising-looking game.

Blows Oblivion away, great graphics, 2nd-to-none immersion. I'll buy two.

Isaiah 41:10
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Looks pretty good actually. Not as good as AoC but good enough to be expected of a modern MMO. If the gameplay is fun also we have a winner.

If I would be Tasos I would be really scared now....

Originally posted by Loke666

Looks pretty good actually. Not as good as AoC but good enough to be expected of a modern MMO. If the gameplay is fun also we have a winner.
    If I would be Tasos I would be really scared now....

I think it will run 100x better than AOC ever did because funcom was using their bugged system from their earlier game releases while this game will use the UT3 engine (a lot better engine)

• TalemireTalemire Member UncommonPosts: 839

This thread deserves a bump.

Isaiah 41:10
  • hail2dathiefhail2dathief Member UncommonPosts: 232

Even if this game just delivers on 2/3 of what it's promising it will be good.  I am sure there will be more work done on the textures cause some of them were a complete blur.  And it will look better than AoC imo but i couldn't stand the character mods and animations in AoC.  Just praying this game can actually deliver and not be a complete failure.

• harlequinNnharlequinNn Member Posts: 12

I cannot wait for this game. I signed up to beta test and im praying to get picked.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785

Hurray for Mortal Online!

Finally an actual next-gen sandbox MMO!

• BigdavoBigdavo Member UncommonPosts: 1,863

Interesting, I signed up for beta after watching this.

I'm keeping an eye on this one.

O_o o_O

• MareWindsMareWinds Member Posts: 46

Always keeping an eye on this one; it gives the impression of... "If Elder Scrolls were an MMO, how would it work?" Already signed up for the beta of course.

Loving the immersion level here. About the only reason I'd want ANY form of third-person perspective is for the same reason it's used in the Elder Scrolls games -- to be able to simply look at my character, see how the armor looks all-the-way-round. enjoy having to pay careful attention to my surroundings, and either move through an area with caution, or try to make sure I'm well-armored.

The horses are GORGEOUS! I'm looking forward to fighting on horseback with this game. I love the environmental graphics, though I'm guessing the waterfalls will be polished before the game goes live. Fighting moves look fairly smooth and rather complex. I'm particularly fond of the dizzying effect of receiving a solid hit (incapacitation, I'm thinking). Blood splatters on your face as you fight, and in the air as it flies from the edge of your blade -- excellent. Huge pools on the ground... not quite so good, but as they continue beta testing, I expect this will also be adjusted to a more realistic effect.

Overall, yes, REALLY looking forward to this one.

EDITS: spelling, clarity.

• Die_ScreamDie_Scream Member Posts: 1,785
    Originally posted by MareWinds

Always keeping an eye on this one; it gives the impression of... "If Elder Scrolls were an MMO, how would it work?" Already signed up for the beta of course.
    Loving the immersion level here. About the only reason I'd want ANY form of third-person perspective is for the same reason it's used in the Elder Scrolls games -- to be able to simply look at my character, see how the armor looks all-the-way-round. enjoy having to pay careful attention to my surroundings, and either move through an area with caution, or try to make sure I'm well-armored.
    The horses are GORGEOUS! I'm looking forward to fighting on horseback with this game. I love the environmental graphics, though I'm guessing the waterfalls will be polished before the game goes live. Fighting moves look fairly smooth and rather complex. I'm particularly fond of the dizzying effect of receiving a solid hit (incapacitation, I'm thinking). Blood splatters on your face as you fight, and in the air as it flies from the edge of your blade -- excellent. Huge pools on the ground... not quite so good, but as they continue beta testing, I expect this will also be adjusted to a more realistic effect.
    Overall, yes, REALLY looking forward to this one.

EDITS: spelling, clarity.

Exciting isn't it? It's only going to get better from now on too.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

What do i think?

well i might remind people that most if not all of that terrain was done by a terrain generator.I try to look at just the developers creations,and i did not see much there at all.I saw some tents/huts that pretty much looked copied over and over to of course save time/effort and polycount.Why does it matter?well i like to support a developer that CREATES,anyone can sell me a generated terrain[WOW],i mean anyone,the engine does all the work.So when i watch these types of videos i have to look beyond generated content and just look for DEVELOPERS content.

Also noticed it is was all First person view?is this the only option?as the UE3 engine does have camera angles for 3rd person view.FP view allows us to enjoy less of the battle between two players as you only see the other guy.As far as the battle,i am ok with slow battles,as i like a drawn out thinking mans combat more so than some childish ZARK minigun spam fest or whatever speed killing goes on in games.However, the combat looked uninspiring,albeit we have not seen enough to judge yet.The mounted animation is again FP view,did not like it,it allows almost nothing to enjoy in that view,just the horses head,really  low budget animation there.

This is sort of what i was afraid of ,the developer used as many tools as it could to SPEED up the development of the game,so much so that it looks cheaply done,it looks thrown together VERY quickly.This seems to be the trend MANY games are following now a days.

I will reserve further judgment until i see a lot more of the game action,and the game world.I am not sure what exactly they wanted us to see in that video,i wish there was some explanation or narration.

I will give an example,search the net for the new videos on the new CRY 3 engine .When you watch those videos it is quite obvious as to what they want you to see.Anyone that knows or has seen some of the work done on the UE3 engines,knows to expect a lot of cool stuff,i did not see any of the UE3 engines potential  in this video.

I think the majority will find it as eye candy,because they are not used to seeing anything good from most of the games out there.Most of the credit in that video goes to SPEEDTREE and their engine,the developer looks to have put little of their own effort into that video.Like i said one video does not make or break the game,i want to see more.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Considering how beautiful the landscapes are, I don't think you can start complaining  that a lot of it is "auto generated " (where did you even hear this).

Oh and just because the ground grid is (supposedly) "autogenerated" does not mean they don't sculpt the world as they want it to look. Obviously they are.

• bloodytvbloodytv Member Posts: 16
    Originally posted by Wizardry

well i might remind people that most if not all of that terrain was done by a terrain generator.I try to look at just the developers creations,and i did not see much there at all.I saw some tents/huts that pretty much looked copied over and over to of course save time/effort and polycount.Why does it matter?well i like to support a developer that CREATES,anyone can sell me a generated terrain[WOW],i mean anyone,the engine does all the work.So when i watch these types of videos i have to look beyond generated content and just look for DEVELOPERS content.

Forgive me, but I find your post to be uninformed so allow me to correct you.  Have you ever heard of a height map?  It's a grey-scale image that gives developers control over a terrain generator, allowing them to create a large landscape much simplar than drawing each and every polygon.  Here's an example:

Height Map

As you can clearly see, there is a mountain range on the right side of the image with several of smaller hills covering the left side.  Furthermore, the options within a terrain generator allow the developer to control various aspects of the generation process, including resolution, polygon count (typically, per square unit), noise, smoothing, range, ect.  Suddnely, the various options of the generator and the amount of input a developer can provide suddenly makes this seem less like a random generator and more like a developer's creation.

You are correct about one thing; this is done to save time.  It would take an army of developers years just to sculpt a landmass out if they were to do it, polygon by polygon.

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

The landscape looked pretty nice to me. They are trying to implement VAST zones so I can understand that they have to simplify the process somewhat and have to be as low as possible in model count. One thing I noticed though, is that all trees in the first area look exactly the same in this clip. Not meaning the same type of tree, which is only natural, but the exact same model with the exact same placing angle. As an art director I would have atleast asked for a little more variation. You only need about 4 or 5 slightly different models to create realistic diversity in a random patch of forest. But that is somewhat of a pet peeve. I loved the river and the realistic feel to this zone in general.

glad ya'll like it :P

• probprob Member Posts: 8

direct download link FTW!!!!!111!

• aleosaleos Member UncommonPosts: 1,942
    Originally posted by denshing

The blood from striking an oponent looks awsome. but they really REALLY need to tone it down on the ground blood texture. Cutting someone's head off does not create a 15 foot pool of blood just like that.

Great potential for really good immersion factor, falling off horse, and staggering. They have all the right animations for mounting up ect. Looks REALLY nice. Instead of just popping onto a horse he actually grabs the saddle, and when running around he kept the lasso in hand and actally directed it.
    Even after the guy started running without looking towards his hands, I got the feeling that he was actually steering it around, so the little animations have after effects even when not seeing them
    Gotta say I am now official keeping a close eye on this title.

well i have seen people get their heads cut off on certain websites that will remain nameless but my point is a 15 foot trail of blood isnt hard when its leaking freely out of a major artery. other than that this footage isnt new still good though.