Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WOW preview article

sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Wanted to say great article Richard and as a beta tester you really hit it home for me to many of your statements. WOW is a great game for what it is no doubt but it is missing key elements that are really important to me that I wish they would fix to truly make it one of the best. It's fast and fun no doubt and I won't rehash what you said but I did want to say thank you for giving the community a honest unbiased write up. You could have kissed ass for Blizz or totally trashed it but you did true journalism and gave us a great read. My hat's off to you keep up the good work.

It's a simple world for complicated people!
Sonicbrew

He conquers who endures.
Persius

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

Comments

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384
    Well said and I wholeheartedly agree

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Now hear me out, its just an opinion, I don't want yours. .

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Would either of you say that PVP is an important aspect of WOW?

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

yes PvP is important....but not everyone plays a mmorpg for PvP alone.

Shadowbane currently has the best PvP system for the mmorgp industry, but there were so many problems with it, no one saw their good points and only focused on the bad points.

HOWEVER

Kunou was not focusing on the bad points.  He was very professional when previewing the game.  He didn't fanboi it and he didn't slam it.  He was very fair.  I played the beta of WoW...I thought it was ok and neat but not good enough for me to spend 50 bucks on.  Kunou simply made the statements that many of us agree with.

Kunou never said the game sucked nor did he say no one should play it.  I say the same thing.  If you love the game then by all means play it!!! But just don't expect everyone to love it just as much as you (including the person doing the preview/review).

PvP is important. but so is everything else. 

Originally posted by WizGamer
    Now hear me out, its just an opinion, I don't want yours. .

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

• FinweFinwe Member CommonPosts: 3,106

With the stories of the "warcraft" games, and the whole fact of it being not only about plain ol fashioned slaughtering, mayhem, and well, warcraft, but also about a long time feud between orcs and humans.

The game should have very meaningful and fun PvP if it doesn't, as alot of old WoW followers, including myself dubbed it, World of Peacecraft.

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"The greatest trick the devil played on humanity in the 20th century was convincing them that he didn't exist." (Paraphrasing) C.S. Lewis

"If a mother can kill her own child, what is left before I kill you and you kill me?" -Mother Teresa when talking about abortion after accepting the Nobel Peace Prize in 1979

Originally posted by En1Gma

yes PvP is important....but not everyone plays a mmorpg for PvP alone.
    PvP is important. but so is everything else. 

Yet he negleted to write a single  thing about this aspect of this game... In ever game Blizzard has made (including this one) PvP is ONE of the key componets of the game..

You say not everyone plays a mmorpg for PVP alone and this is true, yet not everyone plays a game for the graphics yet he previewed this aspect.. Not everyone plays for the Quest or Sound, yet he previewed both of these. I could go on and on, the point in trying to make if your not getting it is that he couriously left out in his preview one of the most key parts of the game. I have asked him why he decided to leave that out in his preview but I guess he has not seen that post....

Like I said before writing a preview of WOW and not talking about PVP is like writing a preview of COH and not talking about the Character creator....Nobody is asking for a Fanboi post, but I would expect that if your going to write a preview on this game you would not have missed something so key to this game as PVP.  Which leads me to believe like many others have all ready said.... Did he even leave the newbie grounds?

You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• BeldaroBeldaro Member Posts: 119

well he only played til lvl 17 didnt he? Methinks he didnt have time to do that much pvp action really...

But he did say that he had no idea what the high-lvl game was like, so we'll probably see another preview in a while.

_______________________________________________________________________________________
    image                              Stealin n Lubing since 1976                              image

_______________________________________________________________________________________

• sonicbrewsonicbrew Member UncommonPosts: 515

Highlly group oriented is what high lvl content is about and no PvP is senseless unless your high lvl and there are many balance issues currently exsisting. Read the beta boards it's all there and there are many things that I like and dislike about the game myself as a tester but I continue to see what changes will take place and how the game molds. It is definitely a fast paced game but it lacks much more depth than I am honestly used to. It has much greater potential however but I am not sure Blizzard will see through the smoke screen and make it come to pass. For new player's to the MMO scene and big Warcraft fans it will draw them in. For long time MMO players like myself it just doesn't have what I expect for a so called next generation game.

The bottom line though is no one is right or wrong per say just indifferent. Just because one person loves the game and another dislikes it makes neither right or wrong just different individuals with different tastes. If you like it play it, if you don't like it don't play it. The one thing that can be established is unbiased results and post's without the fanboy crap or insults or flames and immaturity. That goes for every game out there by the way. It is one thing to debate something another to be a complete cement head , I am not stating anyone is in this thread either just making a genralized statement before this crap starts on this thread next.

It's a simple world for complicated people!
    Sonicbrew

He conquers who endures.
    Persius

“Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.” ~ Italian proverb   

• FinbarFinbar Member UncommonPosts: 187

In my opinion... unless you have played to at least the half-way mark in levels you haven't even played a game. EG: EQ has 70 levels... therefore a fair review of EQ would come from someone who has played to level 35. And even then I would question their knowlege of the game. Anyone who has played so called 'end-game' EQ would know that level 35 is the tip of the iceburge with regards to the games content and gameplay. So yes the review in question is a good review of the first 17 levels of WoW I will give it that. However it is a failed review of the game as a whole. The sad truth is this: A "fair" review can not be written untill a good writter reaches max level in the game. Therefore a "fair" review can not be written untill long after release.

If you don't understand the analogy of the level 35 EQ player then I am sorry. But your to far behind in the mmorpg game to bring up to speed.

Good hunt!

My 2 rupies are in!

FINBAR
    ---------------------------------------------
    Now Playing: EQ1 (Again)
    For beta info, or other contact info
    see the user info section.

FINBAR
    -------------------------------------------

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

I don't see anything wrong with the article.

Yes the game has nothing innovative but so what they picked the good parts of other mmorpg and made it work.Now thats much better then trying something new which turns out to be junk.

• PLH2034PLH2034 Member Posts: 58

Originally posted by Finbar

In my opinion... unless you have played to at least the half-way mark in levels you haven't even played a game. EG: EQ has 70 levels... therefore a fair review of EQ would come from someone who has played to level 35. And even then I would question their knowlege of the game. Anyone who has played so called 'end-game' EQ would know that level 35 is the tip of the iceburge with regards to the games content and gameplay. So yes the review in question is a good review of the first 17 levels of WoW I will give it that. However it is a failed review of the game as a whole. The sad truth is this: A "fair" review can not be written untill a good writter reaches max level in the game. Therefore a "fair" review can not be written untill long after release.
    If you don't understand the analogy of the level 35 EQ player then I am sorry. But your to far behind in the mmorpg game to bring up to speed.
    Good hunt!
    My 2 rupies are in!

FINBAR
    ---------------------------------------------
    Now Playing: EQ1 (Again)
    For beta info, or other contact info
    see the user info section.

I respect that opinion but think of the everyday gamer. If the "end game" is 70 who the hell is going to play to 70 or even 35 if they are bored to tears or just don't like the game? I feel the review helped me personaly decide on the game. Thats coming from who I feel reviews are for, the majority of us who don't get beta invites and have to make a blind leap of faith with or wallets. It wouldn't make sense for me to buy WOW based on this and other reviews because from what I read I won't like it.

Oh and the guy that said there shoulda been something in there about PvP is absolutely correct. Though i'm not into PvP, it is a feature of WOW and should have been included.

• MalkavianMalkavian Member UncommonPosts: 2,995

moved to Wow Forums.

- Malkavian image

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive"

• maftimafti Member Posts: 6

personally i didn't like the preview, although it has some valid points.
    the preview was good for mmorpg.com, because this is a site for the more experienced mmorpg'ers.

u must also consider what the target-audience is for WoW. and what Blizzard thinks what their target-audience is. not ours, because we want an utopian-mmorpg where u never get bored.

my 2 bronzepieces.

As I stated in another topic on this subject,

Boys & Girls, you need to settle down.

The article was a "PREVIEW" of the game World of Warcraft. And a PREVIEW on a BETA. Because of this, not all aspects of the game are likely to be subjected in the article. Once the game has released commercially, there will be a "REVIEW" which you can expect to cover all the major topics of the game.

Also consider that the Author is stating as indicated at the top of the article, his own opinoins. This does not mean he is writting law and you have to agree with him. 

Enough with the personal criticism.

- Malkavian image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

• eeargyeeargy Member Posts: 300

Funny really... It's like FPS.COM previewing Halo 2 and saying "OMG!!! Shooting people with guns AGAIN??????!!!! Where's the originality??????!!!! I actually prefer Unreal Tournament 2005."

• maftimafti Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Malkavian
    As I stated in another topic on this subject,
    Boys & Girls, you need to settle down.
    The article was a "PREVIEW" of the game World of Warcraft. And a PREVIEW on a BETA. Because of this, not all aspects of the game are likely to be subjected in the article. Once the game has released commercially, there will be a "REVIEW" which you can expect to cover all the major topics of the game.
    Also consider that the Author is stating as indicated at the top of the article, his own opinoins. This does not mean he is writting law and you have to agree with him.
    Enough with the personal criticism.
    - Malkavian image"When you find yourself sinking into Madness, dive" - Malkavian Proverb- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

sorry, but i wasn't critical at all.

but if it was a personal opininon, then there's room for discussion?
    Otherwise why even bother to produce a preview.

• DjinDjin Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,263

Funny really... It's like FPS.COM previewing Halo 2 and saying "OMG!!! Shooting people with guns AGAIN??????!!!! Where's the originality??????!!!! I actually prefer Unreal Tournament 2005."

Nice one... lol

A World of Warcraft Guild

What will he do next?
  • Az2002roAz2002ro Member UncommonPosts: 158

Originally posted by Malkavian

Boys & Girls, you need to settle down.
    Also consider that the Author is stating as indicated at the top of the article, his own opinoins. This does not mean he is writting law and you have to agree with him. 

The problem is...  Though it is just his opinion, his opinion will be held up higher than others because of his position on a well-known site.  His opinion becomes the opinion of MMORPG.com, who chooses to post his Preview, thus there are a lot of people out there who read it and take it to heart.

Because of this, those of us who disagree, want to make it well known as to why it was wrong. 

Just common-gamer-X's opinion... who cares.  MMORPG.com representative opinion influencing many others...  We DO care.

Just my thoughts.

Az2002ro, It's not mmorpg's expectation for readers to take what information we provide to heart. But we do make it clear that when it comes to these previews/reviews, it is the sole opinion of the author and not the majority of the community. If people believe everything they read that's not my fault, the author of the article, or mmorpg.com's. image 

mafti I wasn't saying you were critical.  My previous post was me cutting and pasting what was needed to be said in another thread concerning the preview, as others were indeed taking it personal and making judgements on the author rather than the opinion. Just covering multiple threads. So your fine. image
    I'd just continue this discussion in the originating "news" Thread rather than splitting between the two. Even though I prefer this one more. image

- Malkavian image

- MMORPG.COM Staff -
    Forum Stalker
    [email protected]

Originally posted by Az2002ro
    The problem is...  Though it is just his opinion, his opinion will be held up higher than others because of his position on a well-known site.  His opinion becomes the opinion of MMORPG.com, who chooses to post his Preview, thus there are a lot of people out there who read it and take it to heart.
    Because of this, those of us who disagree, want to make it well known as to why it was wrong. 
    Just common-gamer-X's opinion... who cares.  MMORPG.com representative opinion influencing many others...  We DO care.
    Just my thoughts.

/agreed

I will give an example of this... When Anarchy Online released Shadowlands it was a horrible buggy, lag, exploit, aggro, camp filled mess.. But if you read gamming sites reviews from people who probably new nothing about AO other the the fact that they played it a little bit to preview/review it, they were praising it left and right...Us vets were totally disgusted with the game yet it was getting rave reviews on almost ever site out there even though it was a horrible mess and caused lots of people to leave the game.

Many of us tried to let the public know what they were about to get into prior to purchasing it but people seemed to believe the gamming sites and there articles rather then people who invested lots of time in the game.

• pingopingo Member UncommonPosts: 608

so hardcore MMO gamers and experienced MMO gamers wont enjoy WoW in the long run?

I thought that WoW would have hardcore endless PvP... Where people could enjoy fair and balanced PvP until the end of time:/

And others wouuld just be able to craft and improve their business like in SWG?

And guilds could go on hunts and settle down in their own cities(player housing and cities will come right after launch)?

And of course the game still needs to have real good raid places, as well as lots and lots of battlegrounds as well as other non combat activities? dancing just gets old.. i hope they will make some music trade skills...

maybe it will just be totally boring and repetitive to just sit on an Inn doing nothing...

It really concerns me if people cant play this game without being focused on combat.. what about people who just wanna be peasents or farmers in WoW? just normal crafter folks, with no desire sto go in combat?

Its not that i wanna go to EQ2(ohh god no...) but... Wont it be totally boring to play WoW if it is just DAOC/EQ with new paint on it?

will the story and quests alone be enouge fun and be able to carry the hole game?:o

/me concerned... me concerned allot!