Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good IPs that have not been used for MMO yet?

Are there any IPs (Intellectual Property, i.e. movies, tv shows, books) that have not yet been tapped for an MMO project that you'd like to see?

A few that would interest me:

Harry Potter, Firefly, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

What's on your wishlist?

Comments

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550
    Originally posted by CayneJobb

Are there any IPs (Intellectual Property, i.e. movies, tv shows, books) that have not yet been tapped for an MMO project that you'd like to see?
    A few that would interest me:
    Harry Potter, Firefly, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

What's on your wishlist?

Runequest's Glorantha

Forgotten Realms (i.e., Dungeons and Dragons stuff)

World of Greyhawk (i.e., older Dungeons and Dragons stuff)

Elric of Melinbone's world

Brak the Barbarian's world (anyone remember that?  Early John Jakes stuff; just dreadfully fun reads.)

While there are many popular movie IP's out there (Alien, Predator, Terminator, etc...), I think those would end up as "one-note songs".

• luckturtzluckturtz Member Posts: 422

Mass effect or Jade Empire.I think either of bioware original ip would make better mmo TOR.

• Dudek28Dudek28 Member UncommonPosts: 226

how about Zelda?

• alvastenalvasten Member UncommonPosts: 20

Traveller

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

Robin Hobb's world from The Farseer trilogy and the Liveship Traders trilogy.

• isolorisolor Member Posts: 189

Blade Runner

Space 1999

War of the Worlds

Mechwarrior

• sanders01sanders01 Member Posts: 1,357

WWF/WWE (Amirite?)

Forgotten Realms DnD 

Pokemon

Digimon

Monster Rancher (Though its coming out somwhere in Korea)

Monster Hunter (IN THE US PLZ)

End list.

Currently restarting World of Warcraft :/

• ezjay1975ezjay1975 Member UncommonPosts: 131

The Dark Tower by Stephen King

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Hmmm...before I learned that an mmorpg was being made in this world, my biggest wish was Robert Jordan's the Wheel of Time. Now that that is coming, I think maybe some mmo's in these worlds:

1. Forgotten Realms
    2. Terry Brooks' Shannara books
    3. George R.R. Martin's a Song of Ice and Fire books
    4. maybe the Wizards first rule books by Terry goodkind, as long as they stay away from that travesty of a t.v. show.
    5. Aliens/Predator based on the stand alones and the versus cannon as well.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

I heard there was going to be one. But if not I would go with Firefly/Serenity.

Got your basic Empire/rebel possibility in that universe. The unknown/nasty monsters in reavers.

Would have several variation of fighters/spies/pilots. Also a special class based on River and/or operatives.

Would really like to see more done with this Universe. Bonus if could bump into Mal, and the gang once in a while.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• chazmyrchazmyr Member Posts: 69

CyberPunk 2020 (R.A. Talsorian)

Forgotten Realms AD&D

Vampires (White Wolf Style) =P

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081

Raymond E. Feist -- The Riftwar Saga 

Roger Zelazny -- The Chronicles of Amber

Fred Saberhagen -- Book of  Swords,  Book of Lost Swords

No signature, I don't have a pen

• GiggetGigget Member Posts: 129
    Originally posted by elocke

4. maybe the Wizards first rule books by Terry goodkind, as long as they stay away from that travesty of a t.v. show.

Wizards First Rule is a book, not a series.  It is the first book  in the Sword of Truth series.

What ever happened to imagination?  Why keep rehasing ideas?  Come up with something new instead.  If it is a book, keep it as a book, etc.  Not everything needs to be turned into a game.  You'll have a better chance of living in those worlds by reading the stories again.  A game will not.

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444

Farscape

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• SuiMeSuiMe Member CommonPosts: 16

Chazmyr, White Wolf/CCP are doing an MMO called " World of Darkness"

It should have Vamps, Were's and Mages in it.

Rough release date is 2010/2011

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

Actually white wolf paired up with the people that made Eve online they been working out of a joint office on a world of darkness mmo, so that one is taken. It was all the news like a year back then they been saying nothing about it, you would think the guys would you know let us know stuff. Or did that project fail?

I'd love to see the old freelancer/starlancer, or a wing commander mmo, and yes I agree with a mechwarrior mmo as well, if eve can do that well with ships in space I think a mechwarrior mmo would rock. If they let you customize your avatar and mech, add in social bars where you can pick up jobs (quests) and buy gear for your pilot to wear and stuff for your mech. Really give you a sandbox world of the darkages republic of the sphere with the ability to make your pilot everything from a body armor wearing, weapon toating soldier, to a suit wearing high paid house merch.

And as for a real D&D mmo I hope that ToR works out well and bioware thinks to let us have D&D as they see it. Would be fun to putter around baldur's gate, neverwinter, and the sword coast. Maybe meet mincs and boo, who remembers those two? And do you remember enough to let me know if I spelled mincs right

• Lazarus71Lazarus71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,081
    Originally posted by Gigget

Originally posted by elocke

Wizards First Rule is a book, not a series.  It is the first book  in the Sword of Truth series.

What ever happened to imagination?  Why keep rehasing ideas?  Come up with something new instead.  If it is a book, keep it as a book, etc.  Not everything needs to be turned into a game.  You'll have a better chance of living in those worlds by reading the stories again.  A game will not.

A thread asking for peoples original ideas and concepts would be interesting, however we were responding the way the op asked, by giving the names of some IP's we would like to see made into MMORPGs.  ;)

No signature, I don't have a pen

• esarphieesarphie Member UncommonPosts: 76

As overloaded as the superpowered MMO genre is scheduled to be, the one IP that has always screamed for a game is the Wild Cards series. http://www.wildcardsonline.com

Alien experiment in virus form hits 100 normal people, 90 die, 9 turn into freaks, and 1 comes out ahead of the game... with powers and appearance dictated by the vagaries of their own subconscious mind.

How can you beat that?

• HoobleyHoobley Member Posts: 421

Terry Pratchett's Discworld would also be awesome.

• CyrosphereCyrosphere Member Posts: 105

Magic the Gathering

Pokemon

Warhammer 40k

And honestly, I hope they keep them as is and don't butcher the mechanics in the conversion to a watered down MMO for the unwashed masses.

Remember, it has to be fun to be a game. Grinding is a bedroom activity, and the point is definitely not to do my wife as fast as possible.

• KataalKataal Member UncommonPosts: 173

.hack// is my top choice, hands down.

other than that, Shadowrun (which I think is in development), and Witchcraft would be awesome.

• EbenEmaelEbenEmael Member Posts: 334

Dune

The Wheel of Time

Fred Saberhagen's Berserker Series

I Robot

Planet of the Apes

Andromeda

X-Files (with playable aliens races)

Starship Troopers

• nolfnolf Member UncommonPosts: 869

Farscape
    The Wheel of Time (it just blew my mind, I learned in this thread this is happening)
    Mass Effect
    Blade Runner
    Power Rangers
    Harry Potter
    Pokemon
    GTA Series

I really hope that *insert game name here* will be the first game to ever live up to all of its pre-release promises, maintain a manageable hype level and have a clean release. Just don't expect me to hold my breath.

• minchet456minchet456 Member Posts: 42

Yes! Somebody said my dream mmo. Dune!

It would be so easy to do. You have the different house factions, a political struggle. Hell, you make the PvP over the fight for spice deposits. Whichever faction has the most spice deposits by the end of the day gets 10-20 free gold per character. I think it would just be a really cool premise.

• RagnavenRagnaven Member Posts: 483

I love this thread but I gots to say it some things just don't lend themselves to being made into mmo's.

Though I would love to see a serenity based mmo, and yes I know all the rumors, but I mean a real tangable one.

Honest answer other than the earlier mentions of mine I can't think of an ip that isn't being used that I'd want to see as an mmo. And in truth most of the ones I'd like to see as an mmo I really fear what they would be like. AoC really messed up the lore of Howards Conan's, and SWG really didn't seem to work well with lore post revamp.