Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Alts

fmnch35fmnch35 Member Posts: 79

A had a small army of alts, but I came across a problem with having so many. It became impossible to be uber in one of the classes ( I had one in each class at 70+ and my "main" hunter was 77). If I stuck with my hunter then none of my other alts would ever reach 80. I also spent waay too long looking at a mailbox or in the auction house even using an addon called Altoholic it became a logistical nightmare. Now I on a new realm and am sticking with 3 classes: warlock, death knight and druid.

I've noticed that warlock is the least played, death knights are the most played and druids are somewhere in the middle. I also noticed that since expansion, people still played warriors, not as much, but most of them were fury. The death knight class hasn't really killed off the warrior class. No surprise that few still play preist as holy (although more than I thought, majority were shadow). Strangely rogues seem to be on the decline, most people want ranged dps in a raid which is understable up to a point.

The thing I am lacking at the moment is that all of my alts had professions and most them were masters: but they can be a big money drain. I am sticking to the 3 gathering and alchemy for my new characters. Would I lose out by not chosing Blacksmithing, Leatherworking, Tailoring, Jewelcrafting, Enchanting etc. I would rather pay someone slightly more for an item than go through the hell of mining thorium again. Surely all the items for all my slots can be won through instances, would I miss out on anything? I did have the joy of being largely self-sufficient though

The second money drain was just the high maintenance, even sending mail through the mail starts to add up when you do it 9 times and there are 9 repair bills too and 9 mounts to buy!

What bugs my slightly are achievements and a lot of people say "/w stats and ach" whenever there is a (non-guild) raid/instance. It's an artificial barrier preventing a quality player from joining just because someone else has done it before.

I could ask on the official forums, but I tend to avoid them.

Comments

• steven1966steven1966 Member Posts: 73

A couple things.

First, you can save a lot of time and hassle by putting all your alts in a single guild and buying a guild bank.   Even if your main is already in a guild, just putting your alts into a seperate guild makes things much easier.   I have an 80 druid (main) who is in a endgame guild.. then I have 9 alts who are all 70-73 who are in a different guild and that guild has 3 tabs in the guild bank.   One I use for consumables (food, potions, item enchants), the second I use for raw materials (especially things that are shared between different professions) and the third tab I use to store 'future' gear.  It might cost some gold, but it really cuts down on trying to figure out who has what gear or crafting materials.

As far as leveling...  I think at some point you do have to say " Ok, I have 1 character that is going to be my endgame character" and then just admit the others are going to get to lvl 80, maybe do an occassional heroic, but mostly just be there for professions.  That is the way I look at my alts.   I really don't expect my alts to get into heroics very often, especially if they are dps.  If you are a tank or healer in blues, you will have no problem getting into heroics.

Finally, about rogues and DK's.   The reason you are noticing a big drop in rogues is because in pvp, DKs are the anti-rogue.  Rogues had very few real counter-classes before Wrath.  While DKs were supposedly the anti-caster, they have instead turned out to be the anti-rogue class.  DKs are getting some serious nerfs though, so while a lot of rogues became DKs.. expect to see that shift back soon.

• S1GNALS1GNAL Member Posts: 366
    Originally posted by steven1966

A couple things.
    First, you can save a lot of time and hassle by putting all your alts in a single guild and buying a guild bank.   Even if your main is already in a guild, just putting your alts into a seperate guild makes things much easier.   I have an 80 druid (main) who is in a endgame guild.. then I have 9 alts who are all 70-73 who are in a different guild and that guild has 3 tabs in the guild bank.   One I use for consumables (food, potions, item enchants), the second I use for raw materials (especially things that are shared between different professions) and the third tab I use to store 'future' gear.  It might cost some gold, but it really cuts down on trying to figure out who has what gear or crafting materials.
    As far as leveling...  I think at some point you do have to say " Ok, I have 1 character that is going to be my endgame character" and then just admit the others are going to get to lvl 80, maybe do an occassional heroic, but mostly just be there for professions.  That is the way I look at my alts.   I really don't expect my alts to get into heroics very often, especially if they are dps.  If you are a tank or healer in blues, you will have no problem getting into heroics.
    Finally, about rogues and DK's.   The reason you are noticing a big drop in rogues is because in pvp, DKs are the anti-rogue.  Rogues had very few real counter-classes before Wrath.  While DKs were supposedly the anti-caster, they have instead turned out to be the anti-rogue class.  DKs are getting some serious nerfs though, so while a lot of rogues became DKs.. expect to see that shift back soon.

Hehe yeah true. I just love to see how  the people who call PvP "skill" have to let their main class dust off while re-rolling the new OP class. It makes me laugh about that kid mentality. If you are so great at PvP, please stop switching your class once it gets second or third best. :D

• steven1966steven1966 Member Posts: 73

It's so true.. there was a 'famous' korean group that was dominating the 5v5 tournaments.  They actually are not participating this time because the addition of Death Knights have ' decreased the usefulness of our tactics'.  They were running with 2 restro druids and 2 rogues in every fight.  The two classses that were countered by DKs  (after they announced they weren't participating,  dks were nerfed a bit vs restro druids though).

I pvp with a frost mage.. it has never been an OP spec, so I never have to worry about it being nerfed a lot.   I always laugh at people who reroll the latest FOTM and finally get to 80 just as that spec is being nerfed.   I honestly see a lot of former rogues being mad now because they rerolled DK and got there just in time for DKs to be nerfed.