Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does SE do nothing about all the hacking going on?

Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

I'm not talking about game braking hacking or item duping or stealing hacking. But lets face it, almost every player in FFXI hacks in one way or another. Its very rare to find a player who does not abuse the computer clock hack, or the Race change hack. Furthermore its really easy to find entire websites dedicated to hacking FFXI in a matter of seconds after a google search. It seems that hacking in FFXI though its not at a dangerous level (No one individual person gets hacked anymore) its still around quite a bit. Just last night I saw a person using the speed hack and the day before I found a few players fishing. I reported the fishing ones because they were using a bot, I understand the speedhacking to an extent..the game does force you to take the longest most convoluted routs to an area so I dont blame the guy for probably looseing his cool in the past.

That being said why does SE not do anything about this at all? It seems the older this game grows the more its problems go unnoticed. Are people just ignoring it? Learning to live with it?

as a 5 year veteran player I am a bit let down by SE and what it has managed to do with FFXI. Not only does it provide very little anti hack security but it also makes the game in general tempting to hack, They didn't need to make you take the most convoluted ways around the world in WoTG but they did it anyways...they make the game basically so time consuming on the little dumb things that people are more tempted to hack. The way I see it, Ether cut down travel time and make the game not easier but less annoying (Keep the end game content and grind as is just cut back on the Bull crap like travel). Or just deal with the hackers. Its not the player's jobs to be on the lookout for hackers its the companies job. Being able to find entire sites dedicated with tutorials and guides on how to hack FFXI is disgusting in my opinion. Hopefully they get a grip on things but after 5 years I doubt it. They ban the biggest cheaters but a lot of the smaller scale stuff goes unnoticed.

Comments

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150
    Originally posted by Calintz333

They ban the biggest cheaters but a lot of the smaller scale stuff goes unnoticed.

This contradicts the thread title. So at least they are doing stuff.

I dont know how bad it has gotten now, but it wasnt a major issue when I stopped playing back in 06. Biggest problem was HNM botting. As for the little stuff what would you like them to do, to be banned you have to be cought. So thats my guess as to why not alot is done for the little stuff as its much harder to catch.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193
    Originally posted by toddze

They ban the biggest cheaters but a lot of the smaller scale stuff goes unnoticed.

This contradicts the thread title. So at least they are doing stuff.

I dont know how bad it has gotten now, but it wasnt a major issue when I stopped playing back in 06. Biggest problem was HNM botting. As for the little stuff what would you like them to do, to be banned you have to be cought. So thats my guess as to why not alot is done for the little stuff as its much harder to catch.

your totally right about that it does contradict the thread title hahaha just noticed. Alright I probably should have said "Why does SE do nothing about the little hacking issues everywhere?" oh well.

That being said, I understand that its not major issues, and most people don't get affected. But the thing is in some cases the hacks are used to control the economy. Especially from craftings. I notice alot of bots in Gusgen mines last week, So much so that it was almost impossible to mine (I counted 4) 4 bots running around there, and then 3 real players trying to mine makes it very slow to make a profit. I reported them and SE sent me a Text mail thing saying something about looking into it... what happened to the days when SE would send a GM to talk to you and check the situation right there on the spot? I mean I was there when the game first came out. In 2003 even in 2004, when you called a GM because you thought it was a bot in a Zone a GM would be there talking to you in a matter of 15-20 min. In some cases WAY back then, they would ban the bots right there that same day you would not see them online for ages after you reported them.Now you wait 30-45 min for a Email response that does not read like something a real GM would type and the bots stay running around all month sometimes longer that kinda stuff is what gets me.

I understand SE is working hard on their next mmorpg, and FFXI is a thing of the past, but I don't think they should give up on it yet, it still has a healthy amount of players on it, if they got rid of all the boting players, which are the worse I could be happy with even lesser issues like speed hacks.

• SatimasuSatimasu Member UncommonPosts: 900

You can't always be sure that these people are speed hacking or whatever. Also, how do you not know they get punished? I've heard plenty of stories of people getting reported for such things and they got in trouble for it. Heck, some GM's have went overboard and suspended a guys account that got reported for speed hacking while using NIN boots at night.

Traveling in XI is so easy now, I don't know what you mean about it taking so long, it's that you have to go through the long ways first to get access to the faster traveling options. WotG once you get all the maws and have all the areas, it's a joke to say it takes forever to get around there.

STF and the RMTPWNER are what responds now, a GM can't be bothered with 50 people reporting the same person and having to talk to every single one while someone is sitting stuck and unable to move, waiting for a GM to free them. You send an email to the STF and they look into it. RMTPWNER will jail anyone using speed hacks and such. I don't see what the complaints are about.

To be the best, you must help each other become the best.
    FFXI Character: Satimasu
    FFXI Server: Valefor
    FFXIV Character: Tamorae Fonteil

• maxnrosymaxnrosy Member Posts: 608

I have yet to see someone speed hacking.

Saw one person walking very fast and i examined him, Ninja with the boots that boost his speed 50% at night.

I have seen people walking a bit faster than me. decided to examine them and they had these special boots that boost their movement speed slightly.

That being said and what the above poster said, there really is no need for such hacks.

i dare to ask the question, when was the last time you played?

Things have changed since the last time i played and one of them was how se manages their game. Before they allowed alot of shit to happen, rmt being one that almost destroyed their game.

Watching Fanbois drop their soap in a prison full of desperate men.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

I see speed issues all the time. Sometimes it is legitimatly something, other times it isn't. There have been plenty of times where I have run past someone and both he and I start raising questions about it. I figure it is something to do with latency and potential environment issues. Then there are times when people are just cheating; like miners in Mount Z. I was in an exp party were there was one miner who kept running past us. There is a circular route you can take when mining for those who dont know so you don't have to double back. This one miner would run past us sometimes twice a fight and it wasn't us fighting slow. I started to thrown up a red flag when he was running at the speed of flee every times he went past. I timed him to less than 3.5 minutes running past us once; you can't flee that way ... the recast is longer plus it was a a little too convieniet that he JUST happened to be fleeing right when he was passing us.

so I called the GM which translated to him continuing to speed hack all night long.

Can't really expect a GM to do anything. It's all about that STF. Although the RMTPWNER should be working against that kind of thing. I can't say I never saw fish botting or some RMT miners. I just don't ever see them like I used to.

Originally posted by Satimasu

Can't really expect a GM to do anything.

I ask you this then ... what are they there for? 

• wrongfeifongwrongfeifong Member CommonPosts: 405

To join us for events and lock bad people up!!!!

For example:

none

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193
    Originally posted by maxnrosy

Saw one person walking very fast and i examined him, Ninja with the boots that boost his speed 50% at night.
    I have seen people walking a bit faster than me. decided to examine them and they had these special boots that boost their movement speed slightly.
    That being said and what the above poster said, there really is no need for such hacks.
    Things have changed since the last time i played and one of them was how se manages their game. Before they allowed alot of shit to happen, rmt being one that almost destroyed their game.

The last time I played was last night. The last time I saw some one speed hacking was last week. Last time I saw a fishing bot was last night. 

I play 2 months on 1 month off or so depends on my college classes and what kinda work they make me do. Harder classes means less time to play. Right now I log on about 15-18 hours a week.

• maxnrosymaxnrosy Member Posts: 608

Originally posted by maxnrosy

The last time I played was last night. The last time I saw some one speed hacking was last week. Last time I saw a fishing bot was last night. 

I play 2 months on 1 month off or so depends on my college classes and what kinda work they make me do. Harder classes means less time to play. Right now I log on about 15-18 hours a week.

was just wondering. I cannot say they game is hack free, there is no mmorpg has isnt hack free. there is obious people who do such things, However i still yet have not seen anything abnormal.

This could be because the people who do hack are cautious ect. it doesnt seem to be as bad as your painting it. Now if i do stumble on somthing that just normally cannot be done of course ill report.

Watching Fanbois drop their soap in a prison full of desperate men.

Originally posted by ic0n67

Originally posted by Satimasu

Can't really expect a GM to do anything.

I ask you this then ... what are they there for? 

As it has been over 24 hours since i asked and I have yet to get a reply ... the defense rests its case.

I thought fong answered it.

They're there for getting people unstuck and enforcing the law on spammers, even when they think it's funny. JP ONRY!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

They try,just about EVERY update is a change to the code so the hackers have to find out the new numbers.Sure it only takes them like a day or two,some it may take a week,but is all Square can do,this game was meant for the PS2,not PC,and they realize it's downfalls in the system,but it is too late.

I know many think i am nuts,but i am quite sure 99% of the gamers used fish botters to get their Lu shangs,that is why it took so long for Square to fix that problem,all the players and workers were using it.Quite a few fixs took unrealistically long to come out,it really makes you wonder why.Then if you want to report hacks or third party software use,they put you on a list ,that often takes several hours before they get to your que.Most people including myself cannot be bothered to wait around several hours for them to get to my report,so i dont even bother anymore,in reality not a very good system for a game that CLAIMS to take it seriously.I know there is alot of people that probably waste their time,so the que can get large at times,but i also know they have a system,where by if you waste their time,you have 3 strikes and 3rd time,they ignore you,at least that is the way it was a couple years ago.

In reality this game nor any other game do NOT commit enough staff to cleaning up their games,they usually have freebie staff or do the bare minimum.I know for a fact the staff FFXI uses are NOT qualified,they simply read of the exact same cue cards EVERY time,it is so obvious that they are clue less it is sad, that they try to pretend that they are competant staff.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553

I'm not talking about game braking hacking or item duping or stealing hacking. But lets face it, almost every player in FFXI hacks in one way or another. Its very rare to find a player who does not abuse the computer clock hack, or the Race change hack.
    I take exception to this as I do not hack nor does anyone i know.  Firstly i don't even know what the "computer clock hack" is and outside of editing your .dat files how the hell do you change races?
    Furthermore its really easy to find entire websites dedicated to hacking FFXI in a matter of seconds after a google search.
    You can also find recipes to make Marzapan.  What's your point?  Every game has hacks and cheats and I see thousands every month nearly getting banned.  I've not seen any lately which means that not only are they due, i expect a large number and something huge announced.
    It seems that hacking in FFXI though its not at a dangerous level (No one individual person gets hacked anymore) its still around quite a bit. Just last night I saw a person using the speed hack and the day before I found a few players fishing. I reported the fishing ones because they were using a bot, I understand the speedhacking to an extent..the game does force you to take the longest most convoluted routs to an area so I dont blame the guy for probably looseing his cool in the past.
    What are you basing the speed hacking on?  How do you know they didn't have flee? Or their nations Aketon on?   How do you know people fishing are hacking?  You cant very well see their screens.  I'd like to know what facts you made these decisions on because there are fishermans in the game and i'm one of them so I hope like hell you're not on my server to report me any time you see me fishing lol.

That being said why does SE not do anything about this at all? It seems the older this game grows the more its problems go unnoticed. Are people just ignoring it? Learning to live with it?
    SE has more than addressed this issue with illegal fish botting and RMT activies to the extent that RMT's have had to resort to account stealing to make any money.  They cant completely nerf RMT's because then it's just gonna make the game harder for the rest of us.  They can only cut down on so much but they have to leave ways to make gil in the game.
    as a 5 year veteran player I am a bit let down by SE and what it has managed to do with FFXI. Not only does it provide very little anti hack security but it also makes the game in general tempting to hack, They didn't need to make you take the most convoluted ways around the world in WoTG but they did it anyways...they make the game basically so time consuming on the little dumb things that people are more tempted to hack. The way I see it, Ether cut down travel time and make the game not easier but less annoying (Keep the end game content and grind as is just cut back on the Bull crap like travel). Or just deal with the hackers. Its not the player's jobs to be on the lookout for hackers its the companies job. Being able to find entire sites dedicated with tutorials and guides on how to hack FFXI is disgusting in my opinion. Hopefully they get a grip on things but after 5 years I doubt it. They ban the biggest cheaters but a lot of the smaller scale stuff goes unnoticed.
    They can only provide so much secrutiy.  Take it from a former IT guy, the second you make a network idiot proof a better idiot is born.  They have to make the game accessible and in doing so there are going to be nafarious people accessing it.  They have the software keyboard now so you don't even have to type the password in.  People who surf the internet on unsecure browsers with no kind of security software are more likely to get hacked.
    Also, what's wrong with travel time?  In 10 minutes I can get to anywhere in the world between outpost warps, tele's, rings, portals, airships and even chocobos all over the place (tele-points, major cities and even a choco whistler to call one at your leisure) it shouldn't take you long to get to places.  And the players look out for the game they love.  You cant expect a company to police 500k+ players just as no other game does.
    After 5 years, it seems you've become disenchanted with the game. Perhaps it's time for you to move on.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"

• SuplyndmndSuplyndmnd Member Posts: 553
    Originally posted by Wizardry

They try,just about EVERY update is a change to the code so the hackers have to find out the new numbers.Sure it only takes them like a day or two,some it may take a week,but is all Square can do,this game was meant for the PS2,not PC,and they realize it's downfalls in the system,but it is too late.
    I know many think i am nuts, (yes but not from this post ;) ) but i am quite sure 99% of the gamers used fish botters to get their Lu shangs,that is why it took so long for Square to fix that problem,all the players and workers were using it.Quite a few fixs took unrealistically long to come out,it really makes you wonder why.Then if you want to report hacks or third party software use,they put you on a list ,that often takes several hours before they get to your queue. Most people including myself cannot be bothered to wait around several hours for them to get to my report,so i dont even bother anymore,in reality not a very good system for a game that CLAIMS to take it seriously
    They have where you can report RMT activities and fishing bots online now through the website.
    secure.playonline.com/supportus/index.html  Scroll down to the Email support and click "You can send mail form inquiries from here".  From there you scroll down and find "Report to Special Taskforce".  Not saying they'll do anything more but at least you're not sitting around and waiting for them to not do anything more =)
    .I know there is alot of people that probably waste their time,so the que can get large at times,but i also know they have a system,where by if you waste their time,you have 3 strikes and 3rd time,they ignore you,at least that is the way it was a couple years ago.
    They have either A.) changed this or B.) have a hugely high threshold for wasting time lol.  I cant begin to tell how much time i've wasted of a GM's.
    In reality this game nor any other game do NOT commit enough staff to cleaning up their games,they usually have freebie staff or do the bare minimum.I know for a fact the staff FFXI uses are NOT qualified (100% agreed) ,they simply read of the exact same cue cards EVERY time,it is so obvious that they are clue less it is sad, that they try to pretend that they are competant staff.

EVE - Sharvala
    FFXI - Shazamalicious
    Guild Wars - Xavier Lucifer & Charlize the Necro
    "Ranged...stuck...tree...15 random words... suck... noob fanboy... I MAKE GUIDE!"