Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Whats the hype?

tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Whats the hype?

Comments

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905

Please repeat the question using more than three words.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906

1. Sci -fi theme

2. full loot.

3. skill based, no leveling

4. good crafting

Just for starters.......

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• Angie-PvPAngie-PvP Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by Krayzjoel

1. Sci -fi theme
    2. full loot.
    4. good crafting
    Just for starters.......

Earthrise has all that but when people talk about the full looting they fail to mention that the game will have item insurance. I remember when EA Games put item insurance in UO, looting a dead player or stealing from a player was a very rare thing. I think that Earthrise will be item based in a way, why else would they have item insurance? I would like to test Earthrise just to see how good the PvP is.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

From what I can tell Earthrise is going to be that MMO that is not some copycate game. It seems to have a twist to it. I will defently give this game a try.

• tfwarlordtfwarlord Member Posts: 216

yea i am also very interested in earthrise. It really sounds to be a unique scifi game, though it is a cautious optimism, because i have sevearly burned my hands before on interesting mmo projects, like with DnL.
    I realllly hope that earthrise will be everything i hope it will, but i try not to get my hopes up to much..

• Joker2240Joker2240 Member Posts: 664

Gear determines what skills/tactics/abilities are  opened for you to use. As each gear will also restrict certain skills/tactics/abilities. On insurance there will be some gear that is uninsurable.  Those will be the really rare gear that takes a long time to acquire. 

Also on a side note there will be an interesting conflict on which gear you can have and get as both sides have some different views on technologies. So like Noir will use one technology while Continoma will not and make it ilegal. So if you walk into a continoma city the guards will take it out of you as some of the guards have scanners.

Also on a side note is the vast depth that crafting in Earthrise will go into. I have seen some people comparing it to SWG depth of crafting (I would not know how deep that is as i did not play swg.} Everything can be crafted in earthrise. From medicine to large mechnoids. Gear and weapons. Even your own robotic assistant.

There is more but i would suggest you to read into it some more on the forums. 

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417

Personally, my hype around this game is:

# The Sci-fi theme combined with the Sandbox type gamestyle not to often seen in an MMO.

# The FFA Pvp combined the Pvp looting, sounds like an interesting feature and im looking forward to try it out.

# Player Housing, i've never played a game with player housing before so im hoping to be able to try it out.

# The different class/suits along with the possible Mech vehicles and hovers.

I can come up with a few more features but thats enough for now.

• JGMIIIJGMIII Member Posts: 1,282

There is no Hype and I personally prefer it this way.

Look at DF the damn game was a hype machine and now its basically a failure.

ER is a sci-fi pvp focused sandbox thats all you need to know.

I just hope the crazy fans on this site move to MO and ruin that game instead of this one.

I would like a quiet release with maybe 100k+ subs if that.

A nice small community of people that enjoy territorial combat, Sci-fi and some good old crafting.

Playing: EvE, Ryzom

• TiurinnTiurinn Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by Angie-PvP

1. Sci -fi theme
    2. full loot.
    4. good crafting
    Just for starters.......

Earthrise has all that but when people talk about the full looting they fail to mention that the game will have item insurance. I remember when EA Games put item insurance in UO, looting a dead player or stealing from a player was a very rare thing. I think that Earthrise will be item based in a way, why else would they have item insurance? I would like to test Earthrise just to see how good the PvP is.

Well, Earthrise isn't aiming to be a niche-mmo as DF and MO. Since they're aiming for a much more mainstream crowd, things like item insurance are only logical. This doesn't have to be a bad thing you know. Right now you either have extremely hard core full-loot pvp like DF or you have no full-loot at all, Earthrise is trying to take a bit more of a middle-road. 

I personally think that's a good thing as it will bring many new players to this genre of MMO's, stimulating other devs to start focussing on sandbox a bit more!

As for items. One of the devs of MO brought up an interesting thing once, what is full loot worth if items aren't meaningful? It kind of makes it pointless to be able to completely loot other players gear if the gear is almost purely for looks.. Seeing that Earthrise is going to have a very extensive crafting system, it looks like gear will indeed be more important in this game, which for a full-loot system is actually better, since it will be a lot more worth to loot players.

There is of course the gear-skill issue. A lot of balancing is going to be needed, that's for sure ^^ How to make gear meaningful while not becoming a (big) factor in the outcome of a fight? 

Anyway, regarding the OP question. I don't think there's so much hype around this game at the moment.

What interests me is the pvp and the crafting/economy. Though I'm sceptic about the combat part. Never been too much of a fan of sci-fi gun combat in mmo's. Will be the deciding factor if I'm going to play this game or not. They might have the best crafting/eco and pvp system out there, if the combat sucks, I won't play. 

Heat, pressure and time. The three things that make a diamond, also make a waffle.
    Also known as Ardanwen.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

I might have been interested in this game, but I just went to the website and their latest "news" on the main page is dated 13 May 2008.  Sorry, but if they can't be troubled to update their website, I don't have any confidence in their ability to produce a quality game.  I hope it lives up to what those of you awaiting this game are looking for.

• KrayzjoelKrayzjoel Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Darth_Osor

I might have been interested in this game, but I just went to the website and their latest "news" on the main page is dated 13 May 2008.  Sorry, but if they can't be troubled to update their website, I don't have any confidence in their ability to produce a quality game.  I hope it lives up to what those of you awaiting this game are looking for.

Not sure what website you went to but i just checked. last article was dated 3-19-09.

Played : WOW, LOTRO, COH/COV, EQ2, SWG, and WAR.
    Playing EVE Online and AOC.
    Wtg for SW:TOR and WOD

• ukiiukii Member Posts: 28

The site hasn't been updated for a long time, but  a (some?) video(s) are coming after GDC, can't wait.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

Not sure what website you went to but i just checked. last article was dated 3-19-09.

Ah my bad (and google's hehe).  It took me to http://www.earthrise-online.com/

• HarabeckHarabeck Member Posts: 616

Most updates come through the forums anyway.

• hellmutthellmutt Member Posts: 60
    Originally posted by tfwarlord

yea i am also very interested in earthrise. It really sounds to be a unique scifi game, though it is a cautious optimism, because i have sevearly burned my hands before on interesting mmo projects, like with DnL.

I realllly hope that earthrise will be everything i hope it will, but i try not to get my hopes up to much..

No doubt the game looks very cool... As you said about getting burned; Yeah I know that feeling.

I'll stay positive and think that developers will become aware of the many mistakes made in the past bye others.

• ShreddiShreddi Member UncommonPosts: 320

yea I get frustrated when a game is so hyped and they dont bother to take the time to keep their news up to date.  Its bad PR thats for sure, especially when its getting closer to release.  Only the computer gaming industry is that lazy that I know of.   Company I worked for would post who farted the second they did as an excuse to keep people checking them out.   Lets the consumer know company is excited about their stuff, Reminds them they are still alive and on top of everything.

This post is intentionally written as to not make any sense what so ever. Thank You Very Much.

• CarnaCarna Member Posts: 9
    Originally posted by Angie-PvP

1. Sci -fi theme
    2. full loot.
    4. good crafting
    Just for starters.......

Interesting...now I want to play this game even less.

Ohhh.. Since we are on the subject people forget to mention that insurance is not 100%! Yeah there is insurance but it does not cover everything, and sometimes it will be really hard to insure some items. They have also stated that some gear (aka uber gear) will not be insurable in some cases. Also insurance cost money and some people might not have that money to insure gear. There is a balance to everything and MS is making sure that it is balanced.  They want this game to be both for casual players and also for hardcore players.

Yes the game will be gear based as the gear will basically determines what skills/abilities/tatics you can and can not use, but isn't that how it is suppose to be? If you are wanting to be medic in the army you will need certain gear to be able to be successful in the battle field. As if you want to be a sniper you going to need certain gear to also be good at it (sniper rifle duh but there is also other gear the a sniper carries.)  Also this is pratically needed if you are wanting a game that allows you freedom of what role you want to be. If not than you will get no diversity and everyone will be using the same skills.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452

Not sure I understand the hype for the game. When I saw the combat videos I lost all faith in this game. They look really bad.

Originally posted by Zzulu

Not sure I understand the hype for the game. When I saw the combat videos I lost all faith in this game. They look really bad.

Woot for two sentence post with no reasoning behind it!  Also woot for poor grammer! Come on trolls I know you guys can do better than this.. Where is the wall of text trolls?(hmm... I wonder if this baiting will actually work.. I bet I can bait a troll!)

• holifeetholifeet Member Posts: 532
    Originally posted by Shreddi

yea I get frustrated when a game is so hyped and they dont bother to take the time to keep their news up to date.  Its bad PR thats for sure, especially when its getting closer to release.  Only the computer gaming industry is that lazy that I know of.   Company I worked for would post who farted the second they did as an excuse to keep people checking them out.   Lets the consumer know company is excited about their stuff, Reminds them they are still alive and on top of everything.

Well sometimes there may be no new news to report, so why report stuff? I'd actually prefer that companies keep tight-lipped and do not report everything about their game. I only need to know the general features a game has to offer to know whether it could be for me or not.

I've been burnt by so many game sbecause devs post features they hope to include and that never see the light of day.

If the dev team were out of action then you'd know because the website would disappear.

All hail the Pixel, for it is glorious Orange!

Leave a Comment

bolditalicunderlinestrikecodeimageurlquotespoiler
BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file