Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I demand more animations and slower loading ads! /sarcasm

vonomousvonomous Member Posts: 357

Hey guys.  Wtf is with the ads on this site?  Can you keep the filesize per ad down somewhere around a gig of flashing spinning mous-over effect laden madness?  I mean, when it takes an extra minute to load a page here because of the ads obviously developed by mentally deficients, thats not pleasant.

"If you can't out wit them, report them till they're banned!"- PopinJ'

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

If you have slow connection, try using some kind of adblocker program and you can avoid the adds completely. They would be smaller if mmorpg.com could gain the same amount of money with smaller adds, it's not their intention to torment the visitors unless they're paid to do that.

• Alamor0Alamor0 Member UncommonPosts: 182

I use the 'noscript' add-on for Mozilla Firefox.  Works wonderfully.  Sites, ads, and other scripts on the pages won't run at all until they're allowed.  SO, I have mmorpg.com allowed, but none of the ads.  They're just nice blank spots that I don't have to deal with!

• SyriSyri Member UncommonPosts: 230

As annoying as ads are, I don't think advising their removal is the right kind of advice to be passing out. Don't forget, that's the main revenue source for the guys running this place. Those ads pay for us to be able to use this site.

Instead of advising their removal, what needs to be done is to provide more feedback on ways of improving the quality of the ads, to get the load times down and such. That way, we can improve it without cutting off the revenue stream, and ending up with the site closing as they couldn't pay their hosting.

Don't forget aswell, that the more people are blocking ads, the more ads they need to throw on for the people NOT blocking them, as they need to get back the money lost through blocks. So by blocking, you're actually making the situation worse for everyone who hasn't/can't/doesn't want to etc...

------------------------------
    Currently playing: Rift

former player of: DAoC, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, SWG (pre-NGE), WoW, Warhammer online, LotR:O

• Alamor0Alamor0 Member UncommonPosts: 182

Even if ads are payed for on a see-by-see basis, how would they KNOW who saw it or not?  I really don't think MMORPG makes money based on how many people see their ads.  Most likely, there's a lump fee for placing an ad in certain spots for certain amounts of time.  Correct me if I'm wrong!

• SyriSyri Member UncommonPosts: 230

Yes, ads are paid for up-front, but that's a bit of a naive way of looking at it. If an ad is not getting a lot of "hits", as in page views, then they can see that it's being blocked, and the advertiser will not bother to pay for it to be re-listed. Why pay to place an ad nobody can see, after all? If it's obvious a lot are being blocked, the site owners need to place more ads, or swallow their pride and not be so picky about the visual style of the existing ones, in order to get enough people willing to put their money down to attract those not using blockers.

Yes, ads are annoying in some cases, however I think that as long as they are correctly targetted, and discretely placed, they can manage to exist without seriously compromising usability. To say that the ads are paid for anyway so why not block them though, that's like saying something will be destroyed sooner or later, so why not do so now... Work with the people running this site, not against them, to make it a better site, both for them to manage, and for everyone else to enjoy using.

------------------------------
    Currently playing: Rift

former player of: DAoC, Everquest 2, Guild Wars, SWG (pre-NGE), WoW, Warhammer online, LotR:O