Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Graphics Question?

kac7418kac7418 Member Posts: 18

At the moment I have a 8800gts with 3 gigs of gigs of ram (Sorry I don't know what pc it is)

At the moment DarkFall runs great, I am getting around 65 fps in the city and 80 to 110 in the wilderness, but this is with the Shadows TURNED OFF.

My question is... Would more and better and more ram allow me to run shadows or am I stuck with getting a get card to?

I am thinking of getting G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)What do you all think?

What do you all think

Comments

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

What operating sys to you have, if it XP then you have already more or less hit the max on RAM.

If it is Vista then you can go up to 4gigs, whether this will help you with shadows is very doubtfull as this will be handled mainly by the graphics card. 

Look at getting a new card, however this maybe expenisve as it would mean upgrading to a GTX200 series as it would be worht getting a 9000 card now.

• kac7418kac7418 Member Posts: 18

I have vista 32 bit, thats why I only said 4 gigs :(

Your response is what I was afraid of.  I would get a N. 200 series but I am limited by my power suply only being 400 watt.  

I know I know replace the psu, but then I am getting into large ammount of money because I would want to go big and not buy cheap...

Any other thoughts

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

Vista 32 lets you have 4 gigs? I thought it was only 3 and some change because its still a 32bit OS like Regular XP is. I know 64bit os let you have  a lot more its insane.  Im waiting for Winows 7 to go live before I get another 4 gigs for my rig.

What processor do you have that could be a bottleneck and getting a better graphics card won't really help you much if the processor is still slowing things down.

• kac7418kac7418 Member Posts: 18

Vista 32 = 4 gigs and Vista 64 = 8 gigs

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

8 is only for home basic in the 64 bit system. If you get Ultimate, Business or Enterprise  it supports up to 128 gigs of ram. Bur you were right about the Vista 32. I thought it would be the same cuz its a 32bit OS but I guess some advances have been made.

msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/aa366778.aspx

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412

The bottle-neck is his power supply.  With only a 400watt PSU, his 8800GTS isn't getting enough juice.  Although its enough to run the card, not at full power.

Yes, it would be strictly a GPU task and memory won't help in the instance because the info for shadows will be held in the GPUs memory.  It won't go to the systems memory and doesn't need to.  However, your ability to support shadows is dependant on the way it was programmed above any other method.  If it uses an ineffecient method like non-baking, it will be very taxing.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

32 bit Vista and XP have the same ram limitation because max 32-bit value is just over 4 billion.. so they can address 4gb of ram but that includes video ram and hardware address space which usually means you end up with about 3.2gb of usuable system ram, the rest of the address space is reserved for more important stuff. 

If shadows are your problem I'm pretty sure they are entirely GPU fill rate/video memory speed dependent, adding more system RAM is probably going to do nothing to help.  It may just be unoptimized code in Darkfall atm though, might just need to wait for them to make the 3d engine more solid but I have no idea how Darkfall runs.