Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE you need to make this game work on Vista.

John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

It always crashes on Sanc load up and I installed Vista to test this out after two of my friends said it does this. Obviously this is a big problem for the Vista users out there when a game doesn't work and I've checked the forums and it is happening to most other Vista users too. SOE give some things to try and stop the crashes and it seems to work for some but didn't work for me and my friends couldn't be bothered to try and uninstalled.

So it would be nice for you to fix Planetside with Vista without having to go to forums and spend hours trying to look for a fix.

Comments

• Perdition_ukPerdition_uk Member Posts: 181

Set your planeside.exe to run in 2005 compatability mode... and you are good to go.

• daddystabzdaddystabz Member Posts: 63

I have been EXTREMELY interested in coming back to play this game again but I am really afraid there won't be enough remaining players to have good battles most of the time.  Those of you that are currently playing the game......how is the population and do you have any trouble finding good battles when you play?

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

And all that time i spent reading every darn post just to find out it was my Vista. Thank you I will try to run per the informaton in this post.

I also fear a lack of population but I have to give it a try. Off I go and thank you again for posting this piece on planetside and hope to see u there

SEA

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531
    Originally posted by Perdition_uk

Set your planeside.exe to run in 2005 compatability mode... and you are good to go.

We tried all that and everyother suggestion but it kept on crashing anyways on Sanc Load up but I installed it on my XP boot and it worked a treat...

The game is still fun but you can only play on the American server at peak hours and even then the battles are small and it seems like the Island pop locks are smaller than they used to be... they downgrade the servers?

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227

Have this running almost fine with my Vista 64 installation. Just an occasional crash (and almost never in Sanctuary).

In addition to setting the compatibility mode for the executable, it is also recommended to kill off the Vista sidebar in task manager before starting up the game. 

• ConavarConavar Member Posts: 27

I'm really frustrated with the SOE games lack of compatibility with Vista. I have tried every fix I've come across to try to run one of the games, but nothing works. Pirates of the Burning Sea is the only one I can get to run.

What frustrates me most is that I need to resub (which I did) to SWG to find out it just crashes straight to desktop. At least with Vanguard and Planetside I could use the trial, and all I lost was time, sanity and hair! To be fair, I didn't realise how old these games were, but seeing as its really hard to get a legit copy of Xp and I was stuck with Vista, which is what is preloaded on new PCs atm, then Sony should at least try to do something about it. They must be gradually losing customers by the boatload as people 'upgrade' to Vista.

I'd happily buy a full station access pass so I could play all of the games...if only they worked for me.

Sorry it turned into a rant lol

I put Planetside on my sons xp pc, but havent played it yet as he has been on it. it looks fun at least

Common sense is not a Sixth sense

• TruXurTTruXurT Member UncommonPosts: 18

Ok, here is how you can make Planetside run on Vista.

If you follow this instructions exactly, you should no longer have sanctuary crash:

1) Planetside Shortcut:

a) Right Click

b) Properties

c) Compatibility

d) Show Settings for all users

e) Make sure the following are checked:

- Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows 98/Windows Me

- Disable Visual themes

- Disable desktop composition

- Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

- Run this program as an administrator

f) Apply, OK

2) Planetside.exe

a) locate the file (by default it is found at: C:Program FilesSonyPlanetSide)

b) Right Click

c) Properties

d) Compatibility

e) Show Settings for all users

f) Make sure the following are checked:

- Run this program in compatibility mode for: Windows XP (Service Pack 2)

- Disable Visual themes

- Disable desktop composition

- Disable display scaling on high DPI settings

IMPORTANT: MAKE SURE PLANETSIDE.EXE DOES NOT RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR. IT HAS TO BE LEFT UNCHECKED.

OTHERWISE YOU WILL ALWAYS GET SANCTUARY CRASH.

g) Apply, OK

If the game runs/loads unusually slow with those settings, restarting the game usualy fixes the issues.

Those settings work for me and give me very stable sessions lasting hours with no crashes at all.

As a side note. I wasn't able to make Planetside run using the Station Launcher (Beta).  This solution is for the launcher that comes with the game.

Let me know if it worked for you too!

Good luck and see you on the battlefield (go NC!)

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748

I thougt I had done everything in the book before I finally gave up. I will try this and see with similar  Sanc. crash issue, hope your right. If it works, ill see u in battle if not....game over.

SEABEASt

• John.A.ZoidJohn.A.Zoid Member Posts: 1,531

The thing is SOE should fix the issue themselves because your average person can't be bothered to try all the fixes.