Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do I play Runescape

rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378

Hi, I'm actually one of the few people, it seems, that actually likes Runescape. I'm actually one of the intelligent mature 14 year olds you see. I've played Runescape since I was 9 or 10, but I'm only a level 89 on Runescape. 

It all started when I was 9 or 10. I was on a bus to Bible Camp with a bunch of my friends over the summer. A friend of mine named Neal told me about this really cool game he found the day before. I thought "Cool, I need some time away from my PS1". I instantly fell in love with it. I mean c'mon! You can change your character's hair and clothes! I never played an MMO before this so it was pretty awesome to me. Getting off tutorial island I was totally lost in this ginormous world. My friend PMed me saying "Come to Varrock". Varrock? I didn't even know I was in Lumbridge at that time. So I followed all those signposts till I got to Varrock. I did a bunch of other things that day that I don't really remember, but my god was that fun.

Ok, I guess that's enough backround information on me, now to the real point of this thread. Why do I play Runescape?

While reading some of the threads here people seem just to plainly hate Runescape, I don't see why. Some people say it's the grind, some say it's the graphics, some say it's the community. Yes, it has grind, but that's what makes the game fun. It actually feels good when you get your goal completed. Yes, the graphics aren't the best, but it's a java game in a browser, I'd like to see you make better graphics with what they're given. But I do agree the community is pretty bad, but I can over look idiots like them.

But why do I love this game? It's because there is always something to do. With updates weekly what can't you do? Bored of that same boring grind? Go do a quest, me and a real life friend did Fremmnik Trials and Isles together in about 2 days. It was really fun. 

Do you feel the sudden need to go fishing in a virtual online game? Go to your nearest fishing area and fish your heart out. Then make a fire and cook the fish you just caught. Well I may be overaggerating, it's not always that fun. But there are so many different skills you can work on, 24 is I'm not mistaken?

It also seems to me some people take it like it's their job, now I don't know much about jobs, I just work on the local farming industry over the summer, but what I do know is people do it not because they want to but because they are forcing themselves to. Just have fun with what you're doing, get some real life friends to join you (My friends still have some parties where we just go to one area and train together, you just talk and forget your even training).

It seems to me people just hate it because other people hate it, people just can't go by with life without complaining that what someone else's version of "fun" is not actually "fun" so they complain to the companies who couldn't give a rat's ass about what they think of them. Jadex makes millions, I don't think they care. As long as they have people like me hooked they'll never give a hoot about what you think about their successful game. Sure some people think it's getting worse, but let me point out to you what all you think made Runescape worse, but why I think those things actually made Runescape better.

1. Trading limit

--Seriously, people complained about bots for years and years. But people cry about it when they do the only thing they can do to stop it? I would rather have this game bot free.

2. Grand Exchange

--I hear some people say it ruined merchanting. If anything it made merchanting more profitable, you just need to use your brain now. Some others say it ruined trading. I for one hated sitting in Varrock Bank W1 or Falador W2 trying to sell something for an hour. With the Grand Exchange I can put my item I want to sell in the Exchange and come back later, hoping it's sold.

3. HD

--I don't know why people complain about this. Doesn't make sense, you can still play the old graphics. People hated the old graphics, but when they update people freak? Some people just make no sense.

I can't think of anymore off the top of my head atm. There are probably some very old updates that people didn't like hidden in my head.

To me, Runescape has everything I need. I can skill, quest, and kill stuff in a online fantasy world. What's not to like. But I must agree, Jadex can me pretty stupid at times, but you meet a lot of things in life that you won't like.

And yes, I've played other online games including Guild Wars, which I love to play too, and a bunch of others I quit because of just combat grind. Atleast in Runescape you can grind on something other than combat.

Flame away

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
'cause everyone thinks they're right,
And nobody thinks that there just might
Be more than one road to our final destination--

Comments

• friidrickfriidrick Member Posts: 33

Runescape is actually a very cool game... if you do quests, read the lore and more...

But all this new stuff.. trade limits,Wildy and more kinda made me quit :)

I might start playing again... i played it for 2 weeks and i got to lvl 79 (oddi106) :)

Playing: WoW, Eve online, guild wars

Played: Everquest, runescape, archlord,lineage, lotro

Waiting for: Aion

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

I'm not gonna flame the OP, but I will say that you seemed to be one of those guys that just blindly believed what Jagex said over the years without questioning it. I'd like to see how trade limits would end botting. I couldn't help, but laugh at that part.

I know you're young and problably don't understand some of the things Jagex talks about anyway which is why they can put one over on you. I'll tell you this though: Adding Trade limits and botting do not go hand in hand. They're two different things in 2 different categories. Jagex fooled you on that one.

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

Yeah....as probably a fanboy.

For OP:That game is FUBARD man. Jagex staff clearly stated that the game is going to the kids. Let me say, the losers of MMORPG and the highschool dropouts. I used to play this game and I loved it. I've played it for 7 years... and I know what i am talking about when I say runescape sucks. If you wanna know why, ask some vets make a comparison, do your homework. You think Jagex with all that money can't find a legitimate solution, or cant hear what the adults and dedicated players are saying? You think Fagex is programmed to act like a nanny? NO they have the choice but they choose to make this game for kids. Why pay $ for membership when your account is sole property of Jagex? why be scammed by Jagex? don't you have any choice? don't you have an alternative? YES you do, and here at MMORPG .com we can show you how many MMORPGs out there are WORTH PLAYING rather than this FUBARD game.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by Blissey

Yeah....as probably a fanboy.
    For OP:That game is FUBARD man. Jagex staff clearly stated that the game is going to the kids. Let me say, the losers of MMORPG and the highschool dropouts. I used to play this game and I loved it. I've played it for 7 years... and I know what i am talking about when I say runescape sucks. If you wanna know why, ask some vets make a comparison, do your homework. You think Jagex with all that money can't find a legitimate solution, or cant hear what the adults and dedicated players are saying? You think Fagex is programmed to act like a nanny? NO they have the choice but they choose to make this game for kids. Why pay $ for membership when your account is sole property of Jagex? why be scammed by Jagex? don't you have any choice? don't you have an alternative? YES you do, and here at MMORPG .com we can show you how many MMORPGs out there are WORTH PLAYING rather than this FUBARD game.

Believe me, I've TRIED other MMOs. WoW, Flyff, Hero Online, Knight Online, Silkroad, Guild Wars (only actually good other game I've played), Perfect World, Linege II (free trial).

I played all of of those, excluding Guild Wars and Linege I suppose, for about a month and quit them. They were all the same as every other MMO out there. Runescape isn't like them.

I know this probably doesn't mean much, but it's something I guess.

Q) Cybernetic21 - What exactly are you going to do to prove this isn't a game aimed at kids?

A) I don't think we need to prove RuneScape isn't for kids, it's very clearly aimed at adults but we also expect some kids may enjoy it. We have already "liberalised" the chat filter, although we expect this can be further improved. We plan to nuke some content that comes across as "kiddie", such as the Stronghold of Security; we plan to create "noob"-free worlds for players with high XP.

I never said I'm a Runescape addict, if that's what you're trying to get at, I mostly play Runescape maybe 1-3 hours a day on the weekends. 

Yes, I may be a blinded fanboy, yes I was upset when they took out the wildy, but I got over it. Yes, Jadex can be Fagex every once in awhile. But I always come back whenever I think "Omg, this game is so bad". Usually the next 2-3months me and my friends start talking about it and put up my 5$ and have an assload of fun.

That makes you a loyalist instead, but suit yourself. I stick to my experience when it comes to telling what game is worth playing or not. I'm not a pro gamer, but more of pro modder. I can tell if they're trying to enhance the game or not, and for what reason. That's why I don't look for small changes, I think out of the box. Runescape is a dumbed down game for me. Why so? many reasons of course, but 1 reason sticks out the most. That is lack of freedom aka communist rule. I mean, why pay for a game if you are not given full trading rights or perhaps the freedom to trade as much as you want as long as you have the company's or the mods consent??? What the heck keeps Jagex from thinking that there are MUCH MORE solutions out there than just cutting off free trade or executing the wilderness??? are they dumb? NO they are NOT dumb, and much more they have a big team with big brains, but guess what? They put their EGO in place of the brains and ignore wise requests and advices from long term members who love the game and who want only IMPROVEMENT for the game. +1 for relationship to a communist government...

Probably you haven't played long enough to see how much Jagex has changed and how they execute their plans. Truth is, believe it or not:

-The game is geared to the kids and earlier teens.

-The game is geared to the skillcape.

-As a result of these two, the most important alternatives pking and merchanting were killed using the replacement factor.

-Now what happens? Jagex has full control of members and can add as much "grinding" skills as they want and members will do it? Coincidence? Hell no! It's like a gift from Jagex. Slowly people like you will be incorporated into Jagex's mindset, and as they say you get ****** up the *** and ****** down your throat!

-Runescape has established "bad reputation" and you risk getting abused. I don't really care about this because it's obvious.

-Depressing community..you know what I mean. People say every game has it's share of thugs but I tell you, runescape sticks out like an *** on fire with the amount of thugs it has compared to the rest....and it's getting worse too!

There are MANY more reasons posted by wise people here in this subforum, but it's up to you what opinion you take. As I said, you are a loyalist and loyalists will kill to play runescape. Don't suck up too much. Learn to follow your instinct.

• Palo_godPalo_god Member UncommonPosts: 171

You smell that guys? That’s the smell of a shill. Jagex doesn’t care about the game or ANY of the players. If I worked for them I could fix the entire game in under 6 months with proper funding. Jagex are hording their subscriptions straight into their bank accounts. You can tell they’re doing this by the lack of quality in the updates and the lack of updates altogether.

• wichdanewichdane Member Posts: 9

If you played it for so long and it was your first mmo, it's natural you still like it. Everyone has had their own "first love" MMO and still cling to it, even if they don't play as much.

I hope your love for it lives long ;)

But when you try a supscription MMO, you'll see the difference and why people hate it ;)

Used to feel exactly the same! During the year after I quit runescape, I felt the "need" to come online and get on with it, but I was wise enough to predict the current situation and future of runescape through my own experiences, and now I found alot of alternative for runescape! I used to play runescape 13 hours a day, just skilling and having training exercises with my clan! Now I play 4 hours morrowind ENB, 2 hours guild wars, 1hour making mods for morrowind and oblivion(sometimes all day) and I am still finding another MMORPG for EGO purposes. Looking forward to Darkfall-when it comes out.

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Originally posted by wichdane

If you played it for so long and it was your first mmo, it's natural you still like it. Everyone has had their own "first love" MMO and still cling to it, even if they don't play as much.
    I hope your love for it lives long ;)
    But when you try a supscription MMO, you'll see the difference and why people hate it ;)

I actually did try subscription MMOs (WoW and Lineage) Lineage was ok, but not my kind of grind, WoW didn't feel right. But ya, I probably am a "loyalist" and because it was first MMO it left me with the best experiances.

---

Quoted from Blissey

Used to feel exactly the same! During the year after I quit runescape, I felt the "need" to come online and get on with it, but I was wise enough to predict the current situation and future of runescape through my own experiences, and now I found alot of alternative for runescape! I used to play runescape 13 hours a day, just skilling and having training exercises with my clan! Now I play 4 hours morrowind ENB, 2 hours guild wars, 1hour making mods for morrowind and oblivion(sometimes all day) and I am still finding another MMORPG for EGO purposes. Looking forward to Darkfall-when it comes out.

---

I love playing Morrowind/Oblivion too, I probably used your mods for Morrowind ^^ (Got Obliv for PS3). I'm not a hard-core rser anymore. I just wanted to state on why Runescape is not a bad game, all I hear is bad stuff about it, thought I'd shead some light on them. It doesn't mean Jadex is perfect ;)

Great, that great, keep playing the good RPG and i'll keep doing what I have to do.