Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Albion, Midgard or Hibernia and server type?

I tried this game many, many, many years ago, but never got much into then. I ended up in Everquest. I just got a few questions concerning this game.

1. Server stlye is confusing. Normal, Classic and PvP. If I was going to go into the game which would be the best server for me? I hear people talk about bots on normal servers? Does this mean players are 2 boxing accounts?

2. Do you get more out of the game if you go onto a Normal server or Classic or PvP? And are the Realms linked somehow with one another?

3. I noticed people been stating the game is pretty stale at lower levels and its hard to find a group, is this true?

4. I see there is alot to download, will I get to see most of the game on a 14 day trial or am I restricted to certain parts of the game?

5. And lastely, who is the underdog out of all the factions now on either server type?

Comments

• IlliusIllius Member UncommonPosts: 4,142
    Originally posted by Transactor

I tried this game many, many, many years ago, but never got much into then. I ended up in Everquest. I just got a few questions concerning this game.

1. Server stlye is confusing. Normal, Classic and PvP. If I was going to go into the game which would be the best server for me? I hear people talk about bots on normal servers? Does this mean players are 2 boxing accounts?

Normal servers are your standard servers.  They have a 3 way war between the factions and you can't kill your realm buddies only the other 2 realms.  If you want the original experience this is the server you want to go to.  Classic servers are like normal servers MINUS the Trials of Atlantis expansion pack.  This is where I played last, and this is where I'll be going if I ever come back.  PVP servers are a free for all killing field where you can attack anybody at any time.  Here realms do not matter.  Bots on normal servers have no range limit on their buffs which means that you can 2 box and leave your buff bot at the gate to the RvR zone, buff yourself out and run your main character and fight with a significant advantage compared to those who do not have a 2nd account.  Classic server prevents this by making the bot have to be in the group and the buffs have a range limit on them.

2. Do you get more out of the game if you go onto a Normal server or Classic or PvP? And are the Realms linked somehow with one another?

The 3 realms are at war with each other.  The RvR zone is your common zone where pvp happens and people fight for control of keeps and towers.  If you read my answer for your first question you should get a good idea of what the differences are and you can then make the call.

3. I noticed people been stating the game is pretty stale at lower levels and its hard to find a group, is this true?

I have not played in about 1 year or so.  When I was there you could find some people to fight with but I ended up spending all my time leveling in the battle grounds killing other people so groups were not hard to come buy provided there were people to kill.  You can level from day one all the way to max level from pvp.  It's better exp and I think it's way more fun.  Some BG's however do not have a strong population so those will be some of the slow parts.  Other BG's have a constant population where people gear out their alts and turn off exp gain so that they can stay in there forever.

4. I see there is alot to download, will I get to see most of the game on a 14 day trial or am I restricted to certain parts of the game?

You can download all but the last 2 expansions for free and I encourage you to do so.  You'll get a graphics upgrade and some new places to go to.  I suggest you download all of this first then make the trial account and play.  The last 2 expansions are going to cost you some money but I suggest that if you find you like the game and you want to continue playing forget the trial account and go out and buy the aniversory edition or the platinum edition for I think you can find it for under $20 and you get all the expansions and everything in one box.  As for the trial, they'll ask you for a CC number and I think you can just put in some random numbers as long as they resemble a CC number or you can use your own and just cancel it once the trial starts and you won't be billed for anything and it will not go past the 14 days.  They also warn you that you have X ammount of days left once you get down to 5 or so I think so you know what's comming if you're paying attention.

5. And lastely, who is the underdog out of all the factions now on either server type?

The underdog differs between servers.  It's never the same on all of them.  In game there are relics for each of the 3 sides.  Each side has 2 of them, one for melee and one for magic and basically boosts your effectiveness in combat.  If you have your 2 relics you're at 100% effectivenes (no change).  If you get the other realms relics you go up 10% per relic respectively but my numbers might be off.  Same if your relics get taken away your effectiveness drops down.  It all comes down to the people and how involved they get in it all.  If you have nobody who's interested in acquiring relics or defending them then you might be the underdog.  If your faction has people that want to fight and go out and do it every day and make an effort to defend what's theirs and even get what isn't theirs then you might be doing ok.  It all depends.  You'll pick these nuances up as you play.

If I had more disposable income right now that I could fling around I'd probably come back but right now my situations does not permit it.

Best of luck to you.  If you have any more questions through out your free trial either send me a PM here or just make a post and I'll do my best to try and answer.  I'm sure there will be other people around who are equally willing to help you out.  Also while in game use the /advice channel to ask for help and get your questions answered as well.  DAoC has some of the best community I've come across and I'm sure there will be someone around willing to help you out.  The might come off as eletist now and again but most of them are fairly good people.

Edit:  In regards to your Albion, Midgard or Hibernia question:  It depends on what you like.  If you enjoy the whole King Arthur stuff, go for Albion.  If you're more into the leprechauns, magic, and the Celtic stuff then roll Hibernia.  If you're more of a viking at heart and like the Norse Pantheon of gods and the mythology associated with it then make some Midgard characters.  I say if you can try them all.  It's the only real way to figure out what suits you the best.

No required quests! And if I decide I want to be an assassin-cartographer-dancer-pastry chef who lives only to stalk and kill interior decorators, then that's who I want to be, even if it takes me four years to max all the skills and everyone else thinks I'm freaking nuts. -Madimorga-

• TransactorTransactor Member Posts: 52

ty illius... your info helped me alot!

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

If you want quality over quantity then you'll want Midgard.  Perhaps I'm just biased, but it seems that Midgard gets things done with less people.  Where as Albion is a big zerg fest with no skill.  Hibernia is kind of average, but they're tree huggin hibbies!  All shall bow before the Might of Midgard, and Midgard shall behead each and every one of them