Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if SWG:JTL (Starwars Galaxies: Jump To Lightspeed) could do it, why cant STO?

12346»

Comments

• BattleskarBattleskar Member Posts: 341
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Why are you guys consistently trying to push features from the biggest failure in the history of all MMOs on every game?  You guys seem to make a habit of trolling the forums of every new game with a popular IP and demanding that they be turned into a virtual world where there is nothing to do but grind bols and admire the scenery. Face it, your precious game is dead. Even the makers of the next Star Wars game realize this and are going the complete opposite route that SWG took. Ask yourselves why no MMO maker wants to touch what you want with a ten foot pole and then get back to us. And no, because they are assholes won't cut it, a REAL business reason based on logic not emotion.In the meantime, the SWG Veteran whinage forum is that way------------------->

Last time I checked JTL expansion was not the greatest failure ever.SWG has always had good features,it was the leadership that caused it to fail.When it comes to building a Star Trek game,they should definatly take a look at JTL,there are some good ideas in this expansion pack that could help them as they develop the game. I agree tho,leaving out ship interiors is a HUGE Mistake.I predict STO will probably turn out alot like Star Trek Legacy = Junk. I hope it does not ,but it will.

• esarphieesarphie Member UncommonPosts: 76

The ship interior kerfluffle always cracks me up. Frankly, I'm thinking they ought to put some interior in for the resident Lords of Whine and the play would go something like this:

Walk up to a job station for assignment... the screen informs you that you are assigned to Hydroponics for the day.

You walk through 3 bland hallways with no features, following an arrow to the right turbolift.

You stand in the turbolift for 60 seconds while bands of light move through the semi-opaque window.

You exit the turbolift into identical hallways and walk some more til you get to the right door.

The door opens to a small greenhouse type room.

You pull out a tricorder and take readings to see if the plants need water.

They DO need water. You walk to a console and touch the screen... mist shoots down to the plants.

You stand there.

After 5 or 10 minutes you take out the tricorder and check to see if they need water again. They don't.

You stand there.

You ask the computer for background music.

You stand there.

The ship shakes a bit, apparently the Captain and bridge crew are fighting someone.

You stand there.

You check the plants again... nope, plenty of moisture.

You consider going up to the command deck, but as you open the door the computer informs you that you have three hours and forty five minutes left on your hydroponics shift.

You alt-tab out and play minesweeper.

You make lunch.

You watch your Star Trek II dvd.

You alt tab back in, try to leave, and are informed you still have 45 minutes on your shift.

You use your tricorder on the plants. They're fine. You try to water them anyway, but the computer won't let you.

You find the command on the tricorder to make it warble. You discover no alien life forms in the hydroponics bay.

Finally, your shift ends. 

You exit the room and walk down long empty hallways.

You reach a turbolift, enter and ask for deck 3.

You watch lights go by, the door opens... more empty hallways.

You reach the mess hall, walk up to a food replicator and ask for a sandwich.

You get a sandwich.

(Skipping more walking in halls, more turbolifts, and a solid 3 hours playing retro-tennis in the holodeck)

You submit a request a transfer to Security, hoping for more excitement. The request is approved, and on your next duty day you are issued a sidearm and assigned to stand at an important doorway for 4 hours.

-------------------------------

Or maybe you thought you'd be the Communications Officer... tuning the radio to the right band so the Captain can talk to aliens?

Science Officer? You get to look at the computer screens and read the "scans" to the Captain?

Security Chief? You get to push the "lock on" button... then the "fire" button when the Captain tells you to?

Seriously, Star Trek is NOT Star Wars... Trek does not revolve around 1940s style space dogfights with anti-aircraft guns that just happen to shoot green light, and ground combat consisting of sword vs. 9 mm pistol. Nobody "mans the guns" in Star Trek, the best you could hope for is a plumber-style minigame where you get to reroute power around damage by changing a computer diagram.

I think they're going in the right direction to capture where the actual drama is in the Star Trek environment.

• lornphoenixlornphoenix Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I'm not sure about ignoring orders because that should get you in trouble with starfleet.Having a bunch of starfleet people ignoring orders isn't staying true to the IP.

It's a game... concessions have to made, this is one of them.

• KellsKells Member Posts: 65

True, it took Star Wars Galaxies 2 years to introduce Jump to Lightspeed, but spaceship function prior to that was just a transport mechanism between planets, not a component of the game that involved any combat or quests. Now I enjoyed decorating my Luxury Liner, but I don't recall anyone from my guild ever seeing the inside of it. I think we once had a guild party on someone's Luxury Liner... maybe once...   Other than that, the only other fun aspect was the Y-Wing and yes, it was neat to have a friend man my turret, but it didn't happen a lot, mainly we went out in individual ships to do missions. So, I guess I am saying I would not initially knock STO for not having ship interiors on launch.

This is not a SWG forum, but seeing as how the discussion has drifted again to SWG's failure, I will offer my opinion. My server was well populated prior to the combat revamp but I agree, there were issues around content (or lack of it) that were causing people to drop out, gradually. The huge drop off occurred, obviously, after the Combat Upgrade and New Game Experience. However, in my opinion, it is not because SWG failed because of the sandbox model, it was because there was a great potential in that model which was not fully realized. I believe that SWG would have done better with a bit more content, some improvement in the sandbox features and a Major improvement in the Galactic War between the Rebels and the Empire.   Sony went another direction, sadly, and the rest is history. But, yes, definitely true, SWG was not perfect, even from a sandbox point of view.

While I would be very interested in a sandbox style sci-fi game with land and space components, I don't expect STO to be a sandbox. That's OK, I like themepark games as well, they don't hold my interest long term, but I will give them a shot.