Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• BlisseyBlissey Member Posts: 515

Whoever scammed that kid is one helluva professional since he was able to make a "fake" runescape website and trick someone to actually use it!......Bravo to the scammer, he proved that rwt is worse than before

• Palo_godPalo_god Member UncommonPosts: 171

The kid deserved it for being stupid enough to go to a scam site. I bet you he was promised player mod status if he went to the site.

• rofl!

What a dumbass.....well he deserved it anyway, he bought all his stuff off a site (with $120 his mom gave him....)

Damn..I could get a used military-grade toughbook  on EBAY with that 120 dollars.

• BonemaneBonemane Member UncommonPosts: 353

Yeah the kid bought all his items off a websites. He didn't really work for them. He deserved it for turning runescape into a cash shop game even though it isn't one. Are people really that sad that they have to buy weapons and whatnot for Runescape of all games?

I know hacking is bad and all, but the dude made a FAKE runescape site that looked the EXACT same as the real one except when you log in your username and password gets sent to his email most likely, but your character still logs into runescape so you don't notice. That's honestly genius in my book and deserves a reward.

A genius indeed! He deserves my car... really.

Ps. To be REALLY honest and straight forward, that kid who got hacked could just stop by sythe's and get himself an account 2x better than the original for about...$200-250..illegal it is but very realiable when you need an account asap.

• mmorpgmanermmorpgmaner Member UncommonPosts: 241

Kid entered a phishing site. Happens every day. I even have one of my own. 

Sounds great, maybe I will make one too.

• SimiswimmSimiswimm Member Posts: 127

Teh wutz?

I thought they told you to fuck off if you lost your junk to a scammer/hacker or whatever.

As for returning accounts, that's a joke. Usually you just get an auto-generated response about how you were in control of the account, and your appeal has been denied because we can't be assed to help you. My alt got banned for "Offensive Language" on tutorial island. You can't talk on tutorial island. Well, now tutorial island doesn't exist, so that point is moot actually.

I don't even know why they even brought up the Dutch case like this was gonna even have a chance to go to court.

First, they don't know the name of the person who actually took his stuff, only his Runescape account which of course is gonna have false information in it. Not to mention if he's smart he uses firewalls so they can't track him.

Second, this all happened inside the "virtual world" therefore real laws don't apply to it and there's no contract saying Jagex is responsible for anything.

Last, in the Dutch case the 2 boys actually went to the home or invited over the boy who's stuff was stolen and threatened him at knife point to give them his Runescape items.

Now that makes sense. At first I didn't know the dutch kid almost lost his life for a damn rs item, so I didn't agree. Now that I know he was threatened I'm suprised they didn't block runescape for the entire country(sarcasm).

• acephaloidacephaloid Member Posts: 31
    Originally posted by Simiswimm

Teh wutz?

I thought they told you to fuck off if you lost your junk to a scammer/hacker or whatever.

They do. This is a total misquote. Probably the idiot journalist doesn't understand anything about MMORPGs and thinks that accounts and virtual possessions are the same thing.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

Yeah..lol...that kid is Dddddddumb. What a genius hacker..brilliant...conned a prepubescent boy out of his and/or his grandma's money.  What a hoot.

Originally posted by BarCrow

Yeah..lol...that kid is Dddddddumb. What a genius hacker..brilliant...conned a prepubescent boy out of his and/or his grandma's money.  What a hoot.

You know, it's incredibly hard to steal someone elses source code and throw up a web page that looks similar. [/sarcasm]

The real problem is that the kid is such a idiot, he probably doesn't even have an account now. Jagex probably banned him for RWT already. He basically advertised that he was a cheater on national TV; global if you count the Internet. If he wasn't so stupid to get conned like that, we wouldn't have had these scamming problems in the first place.

I always said on the forums every time someone got pk'ed in the wildy with their money...

"Well maybe you shouldn't have traded in the wilderness, idiot."

Of course, I got flamed for that too.

You know, it's incredibly hard to steal someone elses source code and throw up a web page that looks similar. [/sarcasm]

The real problem is that the kid is such a idiot, he probably doesn't even have an account now. Jagex probably banned him for RWT already. He basically advertised that he was a cheater on national TV; global if you count the Internet. If he wasn't so stupid to get conned like that, we wouldn't have had these scamming problems in the first place.

I always said on the forums every time someone got pk'ed in the wildy with their money...

That'd be awesome if the kid after losing his items gets banned for RWT and his case never goes to court. Triple burned. Makes me laugh just thinking about it.

Still that kid deserved to get whooped up the ass considering he's a kid and a runescape addict. It really is fun to be a proffesional con-man isn't it?  yes it sure is

• JeowanJeowan Member Posts: 79

He wasn't hacked. He was phished.. big difference.

I understand what you are telling me. My problem is ...he's an 11 year old kid. He's ignorant....which is not a terrible thing...it's not the same as stupid. Sure..he will learn from his mistakes..hopefully. I imagine everyone here was a f@cking genius at 11, right?  Nobody remembers what it was like to be a kid and unknowing? I know no one here is likely to have phished the kid out of his account/money ...but most of the replies are so cold...skullduggery ( i love that word) against the elderly, young or otherwise ignorant and mentally deficient is intolerable. I hope they catch f@ckers like this and prosecute them as if it were a real world crime. Oh...he deserved it because he cheated.....really...that's your justification?..Sound's like something an 11 year old kid would say.Maybe you can go play Runescape with Timmy.

Hey Simiswim...lol...most of that wasn't aimed at you...you just caught the backdraft. This pisses me off to no end...because I help look after my  78yr old mother..but also have to work...and it's hard trying to watch every angle from all the sons-of-bitches who try to con her or make her sign contracts..usually for overpriced or unneeded shite while I'm gone. Some of the sly ones even wait until they know I've left for work  before they come knocking. All this after I've told them not to bother with her unless I'm home. Thank the Gods she is too stubborn and impatient to listen to me explain how to access the internet because it's much easier to get scammed online...especially if you're not familiar .These are desperate times with the economic crisis. Seedy types will try desperate measures to stay ahead. Are we really going to blame the victims ? 

** steps down from soapbox**

I don't blame the victims at all, unless it really is their fault. I'm saying this kid is dumb because of all the things he did before and after he fell for the trap. There's many people who are smart but uninformed who fall for phishing scams. But for starters, he cheated - on a large scale. He knew what he was doing, Jagex spouts all this crap all the time about RWT and whatnot. Anyone who plays for an extended period no doubt knows this. And then, he was dumb enough to advertise what he had falsely acquired was stolen from him. You can't lose what you never gained.

There's accidental, and then there's just stupidity. He crossed that line.

I don't blame the victims at all, unless it really is their fault. I'm saying this kid is dumb because of all the things he did before and after he fell for the trap. There's many people who are smart but uninformed who fall for phishing scams. But for starters, he cheated - on a large scale. He knew what he was doing, Jagex spouts all this crap all the time about RWT and whatnot. Anyone who plays for an extended period no doubt knows this. And then, he was dumb enough to advertise what he had falsely acquired was stolen from him. You can't lose what you never gained.

There's accidental, and then there's just stupidity. He crossed that line.

Like I said...I think only the first few lines were directed at you Simiswimm. He's a kid...was it right to cheat..no.  Kid's are easily tempted...ask any catholic priest. OK..that was bad. Listen....do i feel bad he was scammed...only mildly....It just seemed that most of the replies indicated kudos were in order for the thief....the kid will likely gain wisdom. that's life ..and it's not like he was made destitute...but the action itself can not be condoned. That's all i am saying. It set me off mostly because of my personal experience with assglasses trying to con my mother...who is not ignorant from inexperience but less sharp due to age. Anyway...have a good one and forgive my thin skin.

It's okay, I'm sorry as well. I had no intention of "cheering on" the theif. He was just as much at fault for his unscrupulous actions. The most likely reason for the "kudos" was just that the kid needed to be taught a lesson and he got it the hard way, and several people here probably agree with that result. Still, it would be much better if such deeds were never committed in the first place; neither the kid's deed or the phishers'. But that world doesn't exist, sadly.

Just a quick question, has anyone here tried blogging or photo blogging their runescape life? If so that would be very interesting.