Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I'm going back to WOW!

I started with wow i think 3 months after it was released in Europe. I've seen the glorious days of the original wow and the, in my opinion, less glorious day's with TBC. I quited with wow for more than a year now. I have to say I played a bid on some private servers with a friend.. but that just sucks...

In the meanwhile I also played LOTRO for a little while and I played EVE for like a month, and looooooooots of f2p's.. Yes I had some fun, but not like I used to in wow..

Now I decided to go back to wow. I was first thinking of going back to LOTRO but because a few of my friends are still in wow I will go back to them.

I also heard a lot of possitive things about WOTLK!

I heard wow is just to easy, but I don't care. I can me remember the days of the hardcore raiders to MC or BWL.. ect.. and I don't have time for that anny more in RL, I'm just looking for a game that I can play casual with a few friend.

But, what's WOTLK like? Is it fun? is it really to easy? how is the pvp now? does it makes wow better? just tell me a bid about it! :)

tnx!

-------------------------------------------------------------------
waiting for ... nothing..

Comments

• Zayne3145Zayne3145 Member Posts: 1,448

WotlK is geared specifically for the kind of casual gameplay you describe. It's perfect for those of us that couldn't participate in the old-school raids and want to hop in for an hour or two's gameplay and actually achieve something.

You'll hear people moan that it's carebear/ezmode/welfare epics or whatever, but the fact of the matter is that it's just a game, and all that counts is whether you are enjoying yourself. If you want to be seriously challenged or feel that MMO's should be so harsh that your eyes are skewered with hot pokers every time you die, WotlK is not for you. If you want to have some fun and unwind for an hour or two in some non-taxing gameplay, then it fits the bill perfectly. This is misconstrued by some as 'dumbing down', but quite frankly when I've had my brain fried at work all day, the last thing I want is to log into the gaming equivalent of a Mensa competition.

I don't really PvP so I can't comment, but I've jumped into the new battleground a few times and have had a blast. I haven't tried Lake Wintergrasp yet, as it seems too confusing, but I have heard good things about it.

It's not to everyone's taste, and a lot of the self confessed 'old schoolers' don't like it. But I'd give it a shot. 12 Million can't be wrong (even though they're all Chinese gold farmers, 10 year olds, people with 30 accounts and zombies ).

• facehuggafacehugga Member Posts: 21

WoW went more casual friendly with WotLK of course.

At my sight:

WotLK didnt bring really new pve content for the players.

- Archavons chamber

- Naxxramas

- Obsidian

- Malygos

- Ulduar (soon)

Two of those instances are very very small - as i said: casualfriendly but at my sight its really not much new. The bosses doesent really look different, lets say: Bossdesign 1 has now the abilities of Bossdesign 2 and such things. Almost the same abilities mixed to new but old BC known desings.

When i look back to BC:

- Karazhan

- SSC

- TK

- MH

- BT 

- Sunwell

- Magy

- Gruul

Magy/Gruul you can count for Archavon & Obsidian. Nax you can count for Kara.

So there is a big whole after. BC had more, even much more content for the players. The Level- and the Quests are a bit better than BC was. Bit less stupid quests and more funny things.

But over all i am really disappointed about WotLK and i will quit WoW asap i find something else i like.

Enermax Big Chakra
    Intel Q9550 (4x 2,83) - 8 GB RAM (1066)
    ATI 4870x2 - SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion
    2 x 650GB & 750GB

• LivettLivett Member Posts: 126

If 1.2 in WAR doesn't help me get in to the game I might just re-activate my old WoW account too.

I must be

Sometimes i feel like many of the peoples.

WoW is just an emergency solution until the emergency has gone means a new good game has come :P

Affraid to realzie that emergency could last forever which doesent makes playing WoW really better

Enermax Big Chakra
    2 x 650GB & 750GB

• LivettLivett Member Posts: 126

What ever i'm playing when Diablo 3 comes out is getting instantly dumped anyway.

• fedfiercefedfierce Member UncommonPosts: 60
    Originally posted by Livett

What ever i'm playing when Diablo 3 comes out is getting instantly dumped anyway.

I'm so with you man.

Now the time would be reached for EA to rise up again the UO2 concept :P

Enermax Big Chakra
    2 x 650GB & 750GB

• Midnight-ShadowMidnight-Shadow World of Warcraft CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 88
    Originally posted by facehugga

At my sight:
    - Archavons chamber
    - Naxxramas
    - Obsidian
    - Malygos
    - Ulduar (soon)

Two of those instances are very very small - as i said: casualfriendly but at my sight its really not much new. The bosses doesent really look different, lets say: Bossdesign 1 has now the abilities of Bossdesign 2 and such things. Almost the same abilities mixed to new but old BC known desings.
    When i look back to BC:
    - Karazhan
    - SSC
    - TK
    - MH
    - BT 
    - Sunwell
    - Magy
    - Gruul

So there is a big whole after. BC had more, even much more content for the players. The Level- and the Quests are a bit better than BC was. Bit less stupid quests and more funny things.
    But over all i am really disappointed about WotLK and i will quit WoW asap i find something else i like.

blizzard didn't release all the TBC raids at the start, they opened them bit by bit. that's what they are going to do with wrath. they have brough out the entry level raids, now with uldur we'll get more hardcore, then finally we'll get the icecrown citadel which will hopefully be the equivilant to BT or sunwell. we haven't seen the last and the stuff we have now is just the beginning, a taste of what is to come. would you rather they delayed the release of wrath by (probably) 6-12 months and give us all the raids at once, or give it to us bit by bit? I know which I'd rather have.

I haven't really done the battlegrounds or arena's much but wintergrasp is really fun to do. the feeling you get when you go in a cannon turret and blow up some siege engines is unbelievable.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

If 1.2 in WAR doesn't help me get in to the game I might just re-activate my old WoW account too.

I must be

Yes you are hehe. Me and my guildies threw the towel in the ring half january.

Altho we didn't go to WoW. We just all went our own way sadly.

I will never go back to WoW again. ever.

Well

as i remember was only Sunwell coming later as they improved the island. The rest was there - or am i wrong?

Enermax Big Chakra
    2 x 650GB & 750GB

Originally posted by midillusion

Originally posted by facehugga

At my sight:
    - Archavons chamber
    - Naxxramas
    - Obsidian
    - Malygos
    - Ulduar (soon)

When i look back to BC:
    - Karazhan
    - SSC
    - TK
    - MH
    - BT 
    - Sunwell
    - Magy
    - Gruul

blizzard didn't release all the TBC raids at the start, they opened them bit by bit. that's what they are going to do with wrath. they have brough out the entry level raids, now with uldur we'll get more hardcore, then finally we'll get the icecrown citadel which will hopefully be the equivilant to BT or sunwell. we haven't seen the last and the stuff we have now is just the beginning, a taste of what is to come. would you rather they delayed the release of wrath by (probably) 6-12 months and give us all the raids at once, or give it to us bit by bit? I know which I'd rather have.

They only released 2 out of the 8 raids that were in BC. SSC and TK are much harder than Malygos or OS will ever be. In order for them to get the same amount of raid content, they would need to release 5 more. (by the way, I don't count Archavon as a raid).

Originally posted by fedfierce

They only released 2 out of the 8 raids that were in BC. SSC and TK are much harder than Malygos or OS will ever be. In order for them to get the same amount of raid content, they would need to release 5 more. (by the way, I don't count Archavon as a raid).

They will never improve 5 more raids - never at all ! So WotLK will bring (regardless of the difficulty) much less content like BC had. At my point of view its not worth what they called the expansion not even worth half what BC was.

Enermax Big Chakra
    2 x 650GB & 750GB

• Midnight-ShadowMidnight-Shadow World of Warcraft CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 88

why does wrath have to have the same amount of raids as TBC? there are so many options with the wrath raids that can increase the difficulty of them (e.g. OS with drakes up) plus the achievements. i never did SSC at level 70 but I think (from what I've heard) it was just as difficult as OS with 3 drakes up now. also you forgot that there are 10-man and 25-man versions so in reality there are 6 raids (not counting VoA) atm and there are 2 more coming soon. you are making the assumption that uldur and icecrown citadel (plus any others that blizzard might bring out) are going to be the same difficulty as OS, VoA, naxx and malagos. they aren't.

I call that just money max and cheating the users. Nothing really new, just know old tactics, mix them together to the new encounter and thats it. Not really what a player would expect from an expansion. Also WoW is and will allways be a itemzerging. From WoW to BC there was a feelable difference, something new ... the ones looking objectivley to this expansion will find the same.

Enermax Big Chakra
    2 x 650GB & 750GB

Originally posted by midillusion

why does wrath have to have the same amount of raids as TBC? there are so many options with the wrath raids that can increase the difficulty of them (e.g. OS with drakes up) plus the achievements. i never did SSC at level 70 but I think (from what I've heard) it was just as difficult as OS with 3 drakes up now. also you forgot that there are 10-man and 25-man versions so in reality there are 6 raids (not counting VoA) atm and there are 2 more coming soon. you are making the assumption that uldur and icecrown citadel (plus any others that blizzard might bring out) are going to be the same difficulty as OS, VoA, naxx and malagos. they aren't.

Adding achievements and creating the so called "hard mode" was just a really cheap way of making easy content harder without changing anything. But, I think it's a step in the right direction for allowing both hardcore and casual players to co-exist.

Also, obviously IC is going to be harder than the previous raids, I was just stating that BC had much more (difficult) content released at launch, and I know most higher end raiders will agree with me, they did not release much raid content with the release of WotLK. Most of the crap that is released in WotLK is puggable only a week after launch, that didn't happen in BC, atleast not until 3.0.

• kingtommyboykingtommyboy Member Posts: 543
    Originally posted by Guillermo197

I must be

Yes you are hehe. Me and my guildies threw the towel in the ring half january.

Altho we didn't go to WoW. We just all went our own way sadly.

I will never go back to WoW again. ever.

Well I also said that a year ago, after BC. And now a year later.. I ordered a copy of WOTLK in a local store ;) and it will be there this wednesday (because they ran out of copies and I don't had the time to go to another store)

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    waiting for ... nothing..

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

Yeah, I went back to WoW after quitting about 8 months ago. I played AoC for a couple months and WAR for about 3 months. After that, I pretty much lost faith in the genre.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by kingtommyboy

I started with wow i think 3 months after it was released in Europe. I've seen the glorious days of the original wow and the, in my opinion, less glorious day's with TBC. I quited with wow for more than a year now. I have to say I played a bid on some private servers with a friend.. but that just sucks...
    In the meanwhile I also played LOTRO for a little while and I played EVE for like a month, and looooooooots of f2p's.. Yes I had some fun, but not like I used to in wow..
    Now I decided to go back to wow. I was first thinking of going back to LOTRO but because a few of my friends are still in wow I will go back to them.
    I heard wow is just to easy, but I don't care. I can me remember the days of the hardcore raiders to MC or BWL.. ect.. and I don't have time for that anny more in RL, I'm just looking for a game that I can play casual with a few friend.
    But, what's WOTLK like? Is it fun? is it really to easy? how is the pvp now? does it makes wow better? just tell me a bid about it! :)
    tnx!

WotLK is a failed Xpac that clearly marks the downturn & end of WoW.  TBC was tolerable, although vanilla WoW was the best.  WoW has reach its zenith over a year ago.  Blizzard should have worked off the vanilla WoW content & concepts, fixing up key issues, before making a full Xpac.

I gave up on WoW after patch 3.0.  I was having fun prior with a good guild, doing raids, BGs, lolArena, etc.  Patch 3.0 killed all that with horrific downtimes, lag, server crashes and minimal support.  I canceled my pre-order for WotLK, as I did not care much for an Xpac anyway and that failed patch sealed the deal.  Most of my guild is MIA two months into Xpac.  I only know this because of my friend who had the expansion and a gamecard till mid Feb.  We both been playing WAR since December, having a blast.

WotLK aims toward retarded players.  I'm not kidding.  It's not about casual versus hardcore, it's about bad players who even if they played 8 hours a day would still accomplish less than good players who played 3 hours a day.  There is little challenge left and little new content.  Just more linear dungeons, raids, a desperate attempt to force Arena, one new BG and, that's it.  Achievements (stolen from WAR) are not new content.

The game is finished.  Blizzard is moving staff into their new MMO.  Most of the players left are morons who roll DeathTards.  They won't play much longer, they never stick to any game.  New content in 3.1 will last another two months before everyone gets bored again.

I would go back if I got tired of WAR, but why?  The game I was enjoying is gone.  The vanilla WoW I never got to fully experience is long gone.  Oh well, plenty of other MMOs out there which are better than the current WoW in many ways.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• el_muerteel_muerte Member Posts: 191
    Originally posted by Hydroblunt
    WotLK is a failed Xpac that clearly marks the downturn & end of WoW.  TBC was tolerable, although vanilla WoW was the best.  WoW has reach its zenith over a year ago.  Blizzard should have worked off the vanilla WoW content & concepts, fixing up key issues, before making a full Xpac.
    I gave up on WoW after patch 3.0.  I was having fun prior with a good guild, doing raids, BGs, lolArena, etc.  Patch 3.0 killed all that with horrific downtimes, lag, server crashes and minimal support.  I canceled my pre-order for WotLK, as I did not care much for an Xpac anyway and that failed patch sealed the deal.  Most of my guild is MIA two months into Xpac.  I only know this because of my friend who had the expansion and a gamecard till mid Feb.  We both been playing WAR since December, having a blast.
    WotLK aims toward retarded players.  I'm not kidding.  It's not about casual versus hardcore, it's about bad players who even if they played 8 hours a day would still accomplish less than good players who played 3 hours a day.  There is little challenge left and little new content.  Just more linear dungeons, raids, a desperate attempt to force Arena, one new BG and, that's it.  Achievements (stolen from WAR) are not new content.
    The game is finished.  Blizzard is moving staff into their new MMO.  Most of the players left are morons who roll DeathTards.  They won't play much longer, they never stick to any game.  New content in 3.1 will last another two months before everyone gets bored again.
    I would go back if I got tired of WAR, but why?  The game I was enjoying is gone.  The vanilla WoW I never got to fully experience is long gone.  Oh well, plenty of other MMOs out there which are better than the current WoW in many ways.

So, to condense your post down to one sentence:

"I don't like WoW any more, therefore it sucks."

You quit the game before WotLK yet you're making comments on it like you're an old pro... looking at numbers, I don't see scores of people leaving the game like you suggest.  You and a few of your friends leaving does not indicate the trend.  And you're blaming typical major patch-day issues on the patch itself?  Brilliant.  You make the game sound like any noob can successfully raid endgame content mashing one button over and over, when in fact a bad player in a group is quickly noticed and sacked.  Sure, they might make it to 80 and even get carried through a few instances by well-geared players but they won't be successful in raids or PvP.  So, just because people roll a Death Knight makes them a moron?  Logic fail.  It's a new class, obviously people are going to play it (even if only for the starting quest chain).  Remember when BC came out?  Paladins and shamans everywhere.  Yet that balanced out after a couple months.  You make a statement about how "most of the players left... won't play much longer, they never stick to any game."  How does that even begin to make sense to you?  The most dedicated players don't stick with any game?  That's like saying the fattest people eat the least.  And I challenge you to point out a single MMO that is better than WoW in every way... or even half of 'em.  Sure, Game X has a couple features WoW doesn't, and Game Y has a few more... but you don't get to roll them all together to topple the giant.  Come back when you can make an intelligent argument, WAR fanboi... until then, troll somewhere else.

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by el_muerte

So, to condense your post down to one sentence:
    "I don't like WoW any more, therefore it sucks."
    You quit the game before WotLK yet you're making comments on it like you're an old pro... looking at numbers, I don't see scores of people leaving the game like you suggest.  You and a few of your friends leaving does not indicate the trend.  And you're blaming typical major patch-day issues on the patch itself?  Brilliant.  You make the game sound like any noob can successfully raid endgame content mashing one button over and over, when in fact a bad player in a group is quickly noticed and sacked.  Sure, they might make it to 80 and even get carried through a few instances by well-geared players but they won't be successful in raids or PvP.  So, just because people roll a Death Knight makes them a moron?  Logic fail.  It's a new class, obviously people are going to play it (even if only for the starting quest chain).  Remember when BC came out?  Paladins and shamans everywhere.  Yet that balanced out after a couple months.  You make a statement about how "most of the players left... won't play much longer, they never stick to any game."  How does that even begin to make sense to you?  The most dedicated players don't stick with any game?  That's like saying the fattest people eat the least.  And I challenge you to point out a single MMO that is better than WoW in every way... or even half of 'em.  Sure, Game X has a couple features WoW doesn't, and Game Y has a few more... but you don't get to roll them all together to topple the giant.  Come back when you can make an intelligent argument, WAR fanboi... until then, troll somewhere else.

WotLK sucks badly, and that is the bottom line.  All the issues were known about it before.  I had litle interest in it and the more I heard about it, the less I cared.  After experiencing the technical issues with patch 3.0, I knew that the xpac will have problems that are even worse.  Try telling me I was wrong while during Dec & Jan everyone got stuck with horrific lag, crashes & instance bugs?  Gee what a surprise, how did I know Blizzard would make that happen, lol.

Now the whole game is overrun with DeathTards (you must be one).  How ironic is it that Blizzard purposely keeps the DeathTards OP, which cater to the type of players who got discouraged by WoW previously, yeah, they are that stupid.  Those are the "casuals", which have ADD and won't stick with any game.  Most of the "hardcores" left WoW 1-2 months after the expansion, but what would you know about that, you're probably one of the whiners crying to Blizzard about wanting to experience all content even though you suck.  You obviously never got to raid prior to patch 3.0, and probably think getting lvl 78-80 green quest gear is a challenge, hence fooling yourself into thinking it actually takes any challenge to start raiding.   You apparently think that repetitious AOE tanking in standard gear is a complicated concept and that thing some players call CC is just some silly nonsense that is not casual friendly.

PvP in WoW actually got worse, which is surprising considering how badly it was messed up in TBC.  PvE is mind-numbing & easy, catered to the retard players.  What else is left?  Players that don't progress at a snail's pace are crying for more content.  Achievements are not content, just a waste of time. 

WoW was easy at inception.  I can say that because I started with Anarchy Online and when I tried WoW, I even said "wow, this is EASY".  But it still had challenge, especially at end game.  Taking the difficulty this many notches down makes the game retarded.  It's been dumbed down so many ways, it's absurd.  And sad.  I've wacthed the best MMO I ever played ruined by corporate greed & bad decisions already once before and now I see it with WoW.  WoW is past its prime, Blizzard is making its last push for whoever is left in the retarded player universe. Congratz on being a member.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

I enjoyed WOTLK my 1st time through it but I was not inspired to stay subscribed 2 months later

would I still recommend WOLTK?   yes

Phasing can make it difficult to team up with friends -- unless you are all on the same phased content

thats the problem I encountered when I tried to help a friend with quests at Bouldercrag Refuge

www.wowwiki.com/Storm_Peaks_quests

once youve done the quests, the Bouldercrag area is empty

• el_muerteel_muerte Member Posts: 191

WotLK sucks badly, and that is the bottom line.  All the issues were known about it before.  I had litle interest in it and the more I heard about it, the less I cared.   After experiencing the technical issues with patch 3.0, I knew that the xpac will have problems that are even worse.  Try telling me I was wrong while during Dec & Jan everyone got stuck with horrific lag, crashes & instance bugs?  Gee what a surprise, how did I know Blizzard would make that happen, lol.
    Now the whole game is overrun with DeathTards (you must be one).  How ironic is it that Blizzard purposely keeps the DeathTards OP, which cater to the type of players who got discouraged by WoW previously, yeah, they are that stupid.  Those are the "casuals", which have ADD and won't stick with any game.  Most of the "hardcores" left WoW 1-2 months after the expansion, but what would you know about that, you're probably one of the whiners crying to Blizzard about wanting to experience all content even though you suck.  You obviously never got to raid prior to patch 3.0, and probably think getting lvl 78-80 green quest gear is a challenge, hence fooling yourself into thinking it actually takes any challenge to start raiding.   You apparently think that repetitious AOE tanking in standard gear is a complicated concept and that thing some players call CC is just some silly nonsense that is not casual friendly.
    PvP in WoW actually got worse, which is surprising considering how badly it was messed up in TBC.  PvE is mind-numbing & easy, catered to the retard players.  What else is left?  Players that don't progress at a snail's pace are crying for more content.  Achievements are not content, just a waste of time. 
    WoW was easy at inception.  I can say that because I started with Anarchy Online and when I tried WoW, I even said "wow, this is EASY".  But it still had challenge, especially at end game.  Taking the difficulty this many notches down makes the game retarded.  It's been dumbed down so many ways, it's absurd.  And sad.  I've wacthed the best MMO I ever played ruined by corporate greed & bad decisions already once before and now I see it with WoW.  WoW is past its prime, Blizzard is making its last push for whoever is left in the retarded player universe. Congratz on being a member.

"Everyone" was stuck with horrific lag, crashes, and instance bugs for two months?  I sure wasn't.  Don't know what game you were playing but it wasn't WoW.  So how OP are DK's anyway?  They were pretty tough at 55, sure, but I attribute that mostly to the full set of blues you get for free.  By the early 70s they were no more powerful than any other class, with my rogue I could keep up with their DPS even when they AoE.  But, as someone who never even played Wrath, I don't know if you're even qualified to make such criticisms.  I suppose you probably get all your information from whiny noobs who can't play their class properly.  Like I said earlier, give it a few months and DK numbers will taper right off... just like pallies and shammies at BC release.  Again, you make your stupid remark about people with ADD that don't stick with any game, sticking with WoW.  By "hardcores" that left WoW one month after the expansion I'm assuming you mean the ones that played Wrath for months in the PTR, got all the boss fights down, and cleared the content by playing 14 hours a day for the first two weeks.  Congrats to them.  FYI, I raided since vanilla WoW - ZG, AQ20/40, and MC.  You raise one valid point:  AoE tanking is stupid, no average geared group should be able to run an instance without CC.  I really can't comment on endgame PvP since I haven't done any since BC.  As for PvE being mind-numbingly easy, ever consider skipping over an area and tackling quests four to six levels higher than you?  Or do you just leave 'em in your quest log until everything's green?  Regardless of your opinions on WoW being past its prime, I still consider it the best MMO available for the same reason you seem to hate it so much:  you don't have to play it like a full time job to get anywhere.  Good riddance to you.

• rpg_onlinerpg_online Member Posts: 1

i  love  wow.    

i am hunter.

• VolatilityVolatility Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by kingtommyboy

tnx!

lol, and this is comming from a WAR player... rofl...one of the worst MMO's in history. In my view, even AOC is a superior game to WAR.

If you would enjoy WAR so much, why would you even bother to look in WOW forums and troll around ? Ah, probably nobody is online in WAR right now, there is nothing to do and you are bored and frustrated.

shush, shush troll, go back to your dying MMO

and I am really interested in the "plenty of other MMOs out there, which are better than WOW". I have not come across "plenty"...

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Palebane

Yeah, I went back to WoW after quitting about 8 months ago. I played AoC for a couple months and WAR for about 3 months. After that, I pretty much lost faith in the genre.

Same here.  It seems like MMORPGs are now in the state of endless standstill.  Will be a very long time before I spend a sub on a MMORPG again.  None really deserves it.