Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to create my own mmo

SimmusSimmus Member Posts: 222

hi,

i want to create my own mmo....i know that seems foolish,but anyway

i would like to know what people want to ,i hear that linear is too crowned

and i dont like game that are too linear,(and it become boring after time)

i might try sandboxes medieval or sci-fi.:P

anyone have a good engine that i can take it for starting my own?

something that i can start from scrap.

Comments

• SimmusSimmus Member Posts: 222

/bump

waiting for advices

• Capn23Capn23 Member Posts: 1,529

Do you have the money?

Do you have a team to make the game?

What is your experience in programming and leading a team?

seriously...those are the questions you should be asking.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Guys! I'm hopelessly lost in a mountain of mole hills! Them damn moles!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Graphics

Programming.

Economy.

Characters and skill sets.

Add in Networking, Hardware, Account Management, Game Concept and a dozen other variables.

Combine in a blender and puree until done.

Edit:  Oh, and don't forget the story line.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • CaesarsGhostCaesarsGhost Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Simmus

Do you want to start from scratch or use somebody elses engine?

Starting from scratch would be the best way to guage your ability tot ake on a project of this magnitude.  Many people think "I'll make a MMO" not realizing that, not only does it take several years, there's also several years of continuing to work on it and support it.

Have you ever made *A* game before?  Might want to start with that and then go to a MMO.  If you can make a, singular, game, and maybe an expansion or 2, then you'll understand the beginings of what it takes to make a MMO... and you'll have all the answers tot he above questions yourself. :-)

- CaesarsGhost

Lead Gameplay and Gameworld Designer for a yet unnamed MMO Title.
    "When people tell me designing a game is easy, I try to get them to design a board game. Most people don't last 5 minutes, the rest rarely last more then a day. The final few realize it's neither fun nor easy."

• SimmusSimmus Member Posts: 222

i dont want to start from scracth,i want a used engine to use on it,

maybe i can modify it later.

As for the other questions ,i am on the beggining,i got alot of idea and got

the money to start one.

as for the team,we are 10 for now,soon we will be alot more.

• IhmoteppIhmotepp Member Posts: 14,495

Everything there is to know, including all the engines available, for making a 3D MMORPG:

MMORPG Maker

If it's not there, and you know about it, please post it.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

If you don't know what sort of game you want to make, then you shouldn't be making a game at all. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

hi,

Just curious how much experiance do you or your team have with making games, do you have some simple games made already, or will this be the first project?

If you never made a game before what ever genre, I doubt you can work on a MMORPG, but like I said what is your experiance lvl in programming or making a game?

• PraetorianiPraetoriani Member Posts: 1,147

For some reason, I doubt your ability to create and manage development of an MMORPG. If you deliver though, I take that back and more power to you. Good luck. :)

• rewindgamersrewindgamers Member Posts: 82

I see that you are looking to create a MMO from scratch. I will offer you a position to help me in the process of creating one. The game's website is www.rewindgamers.com (under development so page is blank.) The MMO is not going to be a awesome WoW or WAR or anything like that, i have about 6 people with me right now and i need more and more to create it and a very good website to show it off. I would like to know what skills you have, and everything. Anyone else that sees this and want to help with the game/website/anything then email me at [email protected]

Sincerly, James, Owner of RG

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by rewindgamers

The game's website is www.rewindgamers.com (under development so page is blank.)

Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of having a website in the first place.

This website is new so it is still being made so i will leave it blank until it is finished completly.  

• Sad_PandaSad_Panda Member Posts: 131
    Originally posted by Praetoriani

For some reason, I doubt your ability to create and manage development of an MMORPG. If you deliver though, I take that back and more power to you. Good luck. :)

That didn't stop the Darkfall crew!

Jokes aside, good luck in whatever endeavor you choose to take on.

• chinchilla32chinchilla32 Member Posts: 51

i dont want to start from scracth,i want a used engine to use on it,
    maybe i can modify it later.
    As for the other questions ,i am on the beggining,i got alot of idea and got
    the money to start one.
    as for the team,we are 10 for now,soon we will be alot more.

Curious to know where you got all the millions from when banks are in the toilet.

Chincilla it does not take millions to make an MMO, it can cost under 250,000 if done right. Also if you have 50 deticated people that will work for free until the money from the game comes in then you are fine because a little decent one with 50 people can be made in about 3 years, and that is with this people not obsesing themselves with the game. So by far it does not take millions unless you are going for a huge game.

• abentwookieabentwookie Member UncommonPosts: 114

I've had tons of interesting ideas for an mmorpg but I lack the ability to actually create it. :P

• TurnellTurnell Member Posts: 239

As with many players, people want to make their own MMO. Its just damn tough. There are so many aspects to making an MMO that it becomes dizzying.

If you are truely dedicated to making an MMO, then try this little exercize

Go to Second Life, and create an event. Some room, some objects in the room, some mob and a basic AI.

If you can do that, then perhaps your ready. If you cannot, even with Second Life doing all the hard coding for you, then your probably not ready

• Mister_BitMister_Bit Member Posts: 47

Have you seen this?

www.realmcrafter.com/store/home.php

Been toying with the idea myself, I have a small team and were thinking of a western. The results from this package look pretty impressive.

Hope this helps.

You can't wake a person who is pretending to be asleep. ~Navajo Proverb

• LiljnaLiljna Member UncommonPosts: 274
    Originally posted by rewindgamers

Chincilla it does not take millions to make an MMO, it can cost under 250,000 if done right. Also if you have 50 deticated people that will work for free until the money from the game comes in then you are fine because a little decent one with 50 people can be made in about 3 years, and that is with this people not obsesing themselves with the game. So by far it does not take millions unless you are going for a huge game.

1. 50 people is not a little team, that is rather huge for a game in the beginning phase.

2. I do believe you can find people (and also even 50  people) that will work free. But I absolutely do not believe they can work full time for free. How put food on their table?

3. For good measure I will repeat, I simply don't believe in 50 people working for 3 years full time for free. It is one of those things where I have to see it to believe it.

4. Since I don't believe in the full time, I don't believe in the 3 years either.

But you are right though, the games can be made without using millions and millions of dollars.

I have serious doubt in you and your project, but since there is no harm in wishing good luck, I will do that.

Good luck to rewindgames and to the OP.

• IGaveUpIGaveUp Member Posts: 273

I've been working on an MMO myself (not done, but close).  Its based on the Prairie Games, Inc Torque MMO Kit on top of the Torque Game Engine 1.52, and made almost exclusively with licensed art assets.  Budget was sub-$100,000 including hardware and self-hosting for a year.

I have some videos up on how it was done.  www.RealmLords.com and hit the button for "Making of".

The games in open beta ATM.  A client is up for DL if you want to poke around with it.

Ken

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Reklaw

hi,

Just curious how much experiance do you or your team have with making games, do you have some simple games made already, or will this be the first project?

If you never made a game before what ever genre, I doubt you can work on a MMORPG, but like I said what is your experiance lvl in programming or making a game?

to qoute myself...meh...

Anyway what I needed to ask is apart from the programming skills, have you made mods for games, it would be a nice place to start of you might lack the education in programming, like I said in my previous post I am unsure what your lvl of expertize you have which would be nice to know.

I also found this topic rather intrested for those wanting to get into the game My MMO and what happened. (WARNING: WALL OF TEXT)  it's not MY MMO but fro the person who made the topic to be clear about the link, his name is DEMC

• spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

get warcraft 3 and use it's world editor- then make a multiplayer game of your ideas and try it out on battle.net. Much better than making a full-blown mmo and maybe might help you think up your idea in more detail. Alternatively there is also NWN where people have made persistant mods with up to 100 people playing I think. (much easier than expending a load of time and money on making a mmo engine and recruiting lots of people)

• objeffobjeff Member UncommonPosts: 97
    Originally posted by CaesarsGhost

Do you want to start from scratch or use somebody elses engine?

Starting from scratch would be the best way to guage your ability tot ake on a project of this magnitude.  Many people think "I'll make a MMO" not realizing that, not only does it take several years, there's also several years of continuing to work on it and support it.

Have you ever made *A* game before?  Might want to start with that and then go to a MMO.  If you can make a, singular, game, and maybe an expansion or 2, then you'll understand the beginings of what it takes to make a MMO... and you'll have all the answers tot he above questions yourself. :-)

This is probably the best advice you could have. There is more than just programming to make a game. You have to have the design and forethought into how you want your game to look, feel, and play.

If you create a single player game you can use it as a portfolio item to attract people to join you in creating the game you desire. (or to join an existing team).

Good luck!

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

hi,

We used to get post like this one, 3 every week.  Why stoped? It seems most people realized creating a MMO takes tons of money, tons of people, tons of skills..  "I want to make my own MMO" sounds like a "I want to build a spaceship".

Theres no way to reply post like this one, and avoid destroying unrealistic expectations.

• demcdemc Member Posts: 292

Well if you really want to make a MMO here is my advice.

Sit down with a pencil and paper and start writing all about the world you plan to make. Write every idea you can think of and then start making categories. Make every rule you think would make the game fun and keep the players in check.

After you have a story and all the rules, start making a world design on paper as to how the world should look. A rough draft of the world helps.

Now that you have a rough a story, rules and a rough draft find an engine that will do the things you want them to do. best place to get the engine you want is devmasters.net.

Good free graphics engine http://www.ogre3d.org/

The site has access to all the nice free tools and everything you need to make an MMO. granted it is a lot of work to tie it together but you can make a mmo 100% free with a team of people.

If you don't want to go that route use a company that has already done the work and has plans to fit your budget

Multiverse is a good open world development package and Kaneva is a great zone based MMO development kit.. Like I said devmasters.net is a good place to find commercial and free game development engines.

Now that you have the all this, start making art work, concept art and the world. make a rough draft in the engines and start working on code to get the effects you wanted.

LOTS and LOTS of work so if you really want to make a MMO be ready to work!