Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

xBox live reaches new low.

Even the staff running Xbox live are homophobic, let alone the players.

consumerist.com/5160187/identifying-yourself-as-a-lesbian-gets-you-banned-on-xbox-live

Comments

• hvc801hvc801 Member Posts: 987

This is a little rediculouse.  But I must add that it really does depend on who you're playing with. 

My brother and I share a live account and since hes normally on it more than I am, he has his own little gamer tag of something along the lines of iGAY.  Just to be an offensive jerkoff to be honest.  And he'll have no problems telling everyone hes really gay just to piss off his opponents (Hes not actually gay) due to the fact everyone on XBox Live is a homophobe.

But like I said, if you're playing with a bunch of dick heads (Pardon my french) they will go to great lengths just to see you misserable.  Thats the mentality of a immature gammer (Most gammers) these days. 

What if Paul Revere was like the boy who cried wolf....?

Originally posted by Hazmal

What does he say when people ask what he did? "My mommy was irking me yo - I wanted to keep pwning nubs on my xbox, so I roughed her up with a hardshell. That is just how I roll."

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Well, that's not good. 

You could argue that she shouldn't have put on her profile that she was a lesbian in the first place, but making online friends and even making dates etc online is mainstream now. MS should really review their policies on this.

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Not that I think she should have been banned for it, but who puts that kind of stuff in their profile and doesn't expect to be harassed like crazy on XBL?

• FerdscuteFerdscute Member Posts: 108

i think you shouldn't put any personal info on your gaming accnts.. so you woulndt get teased or harrased in any form.. and in reality, there are so many people like this.. so why dont prepare your self for it?

• vonomousvonomous Member Posts: 357

Check this out, this guys actual name is Richard Gaywood.  This is what happens with censorship.  It always starts out reasonably, then invariably spirals out of control...  Reading this article, he points out that Unix and Linux are also banned words... lol GG Micro$oft.

consumerist.com/5010527/microsoft-confirms-gaywood-is-an-offensive-surname-mr-gaywood-responds

"If you can't out wit them, report them till they're banned!"- PopinJ'

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Ferdscute

i think you shouldn't put any personal info on your gaming accnts.. so you woulndt get teased or harrased in any form.. and in reality, there are so many people like this.. so why dont prepare your self for it?

True, I might just add my credit card details into my personal info section.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by vonomous

Check this out, this guys actual name is Richard Gaywood.  This is what happens with censorship.  It always starts out reasonably, then invariably spirals out of control...  Reading this article, he points out that Unix and Linux are also banned words... lol GG Micro$oft.

consumerist.com/5010527/microsoft-confirms-gaywood-is-an-offensive-surname-mr-gaywood-responds

wow

You would think that Microsoft would then admit their mistake and unban his name. No, he can't use his own name according to Microsoft because his own name is offensive.

LOL, unbelievable.

• Rikimaru_XRikimaru_X Member UncommonPosts: 11,718

Based on the you being on life, they just have the right to do this stuff. To be honest, I don't think it's a good idea to put your sexual orientation in your xbox online profile. I mean know you want...random people to know (?), but think about a guy who put's that he is GAY. Gay, Bi, Lesbian even Tranny, somebody is going to throw hate at you and it's not something you should put up there, but keep on something like myspace.

There is a thing where it comes to too much info. About the Richard Gaywood thing, now you know that's a crazy last name, but I'm not the type to use my whole name in a gamertag (even though it sounds cool), but I mean in my  opinion to keep that guy out of trouble online and getting a bad reflection on the community, I think personaly it's a wise choice. Why can't he just be Richard G, or Rich G Wood. Be creative.

I mean there isn't much we can do, but I don't say it's anything about Microsoft taking a new low (yet to blame something so little and have it reflect the whole company when the dicision ran along maybe 3 emplyoyees and it didn't match Terms of Use). You guys gotta chill. People can't just put that type of infomation up there and expect equality from others. Thats just a tough as putting up religion or discrimination, because someone is going to go at you for that.

People have to be smart and even though I would take this person side I can't, because even though your just letting it known, people really don't need to know and that stuff should be kept out or put a link to a facebook/myspace or something. People are gaming here, kids are out there so you just have to be safe.

-In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on Aug/13/08-
    |
    RISING DRAGOON ~AION US ONLINE LEGION for Elyos

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383

Yeah, I wouldn't put that info in my profile either, but I agree MS should reconsider their policy. Though I think their policy is there to protect gay and lesbian players and try to keep harassment down, as well as stop the 95% that would use these words as some sort of very lame joke.

In the end though, if they can't find a way to censor the inappropriate while still allowing the appropriate they need to go ahead and change their policy.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627

She should sue Microsoft.   

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

I wonder if someone would get banned for putting in their profile that they are straight.

===============================

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Good grief! I mean, personally I am everytime pissed some teen uses the fashionable "this is so gay" as describing something bad. They take it so lightly. Just imagine for a second a saying "this is so negro" or "this is so jewish" would be fashion. But since its "just" gays what can they do. Most of my gay fellows are so used to be victim they dont even fight back. Its just depressing. I always think of that quote from "V for Vendetta" of this letter: "I dont know why they hate us so much." That sentence is what I have thought so often in my life. *sigh*

Maybe it is meant to fight the harrasing, but its entirely ridiculous. I rather fight one against a thousands name calling me by myself than being in such a pseudo-protective cage of the damn political correctness shit.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

Based on the you being on life, they just have the right to do this stuff. To be honest, I don't think it's a good idea to put your sexual orientation in your xbox online profile. I mean know you want...random people to know (?), but think about a guy who put's that he is GAY. Gay, Bi, Lesbian even Tranny, somebody is going to throw hate at you and it's not something you should put up there, but keep on something like myspace.
    There is a thing where it comes to too much info. About the Richard Gaywood thing, now you know that's a crazy last name, but I'm not the type to use my whole name in a gamertag (even though it sounds cool), but I mean in my  opinion to keep that guy out of trouble online and getting a bad reflection on the community, I think personaly it's a wise choice. Why can't he just be Richard G, or Rich G Wood. Be creative.
    I mean there isn't much we can do, but I don't say it's anything about Microsoft taking a new low (yet to blame something so little and have it reflect the whole company when the dicision ran along maybe 3 emplyoyees and it didn't match Terms of Use). You guys gotta chill. People can't just put that type of infomation up there and expect equality from others. Thats just a tough as putting up religion or discrimination, because someone is going to go at you for that.
    People have to be smart and even though I would take this person side I can't, because even though your just letting it known, people really don't need to know and that stuff should be kept out or put a link to a facebook/myspace or something. People are gaming here, kids are out there so you just have to be safe.

WTF!? What has that to do with kids or not? Children should not be protected from the truth. Gays and Lesbians exist! Wether you like it or not. Whats so offensive in saying "I am gay". Its a harmless description about oneself.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Come on now children need to be protected from all things including germs, boobies, bad words, etc..

If they banned all the people on XBOX Live that made racist/xenophobe comments there would be about 100 people left on that entire network.

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• DekronDekron Member UncommonPosts: 7,359
    Originally posted by Teala

She has no basis for a lawsuit. They can ban as they please.

• Man1acMan1ac Member Posts: 1,428
    Originally posted by Dekron

She has no basis for a lawsuit. They can ban as they please.

Yea, to protect themselves they have a 5000 word terms of use section.

We're all Geniuses. Most of us just don't know it.

• RetroMonsterRetroMonster Member Posts: 288

Awful, just awful, it doesn't mean i am gay, buy I respect it.

• TwistedFireTwistedFire Member Posts: 89

It is quite sad that this happened, but this is the world we live in. People are gonna harrass anyone that's Different than them and considering it's online it's way more likely to happen so putting that info on your profile wouldn't be a good idea. It's amazing how heartless big comapnies like microsoft are though.

She shouldn't because if she did then they would go bakrupt and then say goodbye to computers and electronics so definately not a good idea.

She shouldn't because if she did then they would go bakrupt and then say goodbye to computers and electronics so definately not a good idea.

Originally posted by Elikal

Originally posted by Rikimaru_X

WTF!? What has that to do with kids or not? Children should not be protected from the truth. Gays and Lesbians exist! Wether you like it or not. Whats so offensive in saying "I am gay". Its a harmless description about oneself.

Your reading it all wrong, what are they going to "learn" from a BIO that almost 80% of the Xbox Population use it as some crazy way to express themselves in 500 characters? It's not offensive to me, I don't care what you are and I know many gay members on these forums, but I'm saying that it's not the place to profile your sexuality and if you do it, go ahead but it's at a risk. If you get harassed, reported, etc. Who's fault is it? Many people out there cant handel that and she fell right into the trap. It might be in terms of use too.

|

She can't. You agree to terms that they can do however they feel to your account. I don't think it's worth suing if you just want some money...people sue for money anyway the majority of the time. Even though they have their rights, it's sad though.

|

• upallnightupallnight Member Posts: 1,154
    Originally posted by TwistedFire

It is quite sad that this happened, but this is the world we live in. People are gonna harrass anyone that's Different than them and considering it's online it's way more likely to happen so putting that info on your profile wouldn't be a good idea. It's amazing how heartless big comapnies like microsoft are though.

Some people do harass people that are different than them, and then there are people that do not.

Ever wonder how come there is that difference?  What is the psychology that makes someone want to go up and harass a person just for being different than they are as opposed to the psychology of a person who has no problem with people being different from one another?

And another question.  What is the ultimate goal of the person who does harass others?  Are they out to make everyone act just like them so we're all the same?  Is that a strength for our species for all of us to act and think the same?

--------------------------------------
    image image

• eagles12555eagles12555 Member Posts: 219

am i the only one who finds this quite humorous?