Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic should have made this SFC4......

2»

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Originally posted by ktanner3

Originally posted by Brenelael

ktanner3 is just your run-of-the-mill fanboy. I know because I used to be one. Not too long ago I was singing the praises of this game from on high and anyone who didn't agree with my narrow view of what STO was in my mind was dismissed as a troll. The interviews in the last few months changed all of that for me however. I was outraged at the revelations in those interviews for awhile but now I'm just kinda indifferent about the game. I will probably still try it but I won't be buying it until I either get a free trial or at the very least some good reviews by some trusted media.
    Whatever you say pal. I don't think this game is perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I've made my points clear on the official website what I want in game. Do you see me here whining here in every thread about no playable merchants or Borg? I'll save you the trouble of looking, you won't find it.I  just don't go gung ho like some around here and predict a game's failure when I don't get what I want.  If that's your warped interpretation of a fanboy then I'll gladly wear the cape.
     As for what your trying to say in this thread I see your point. I would however say that this game is shaping up like ST: Legacy and Elite Force 2 had a bastard child. With limited 3d person view space action and a heavily instanced avatar game this is shaping up to be a massively Multi-player single player experience. Those that think there will be any grouping in this game are delusional at best. With almost all missions instanced and your own little force of NPC pets following you around there will be absolutely no reason to group what-so-ever. People like ktanner are quick to point out that you can still group if you want to but that will be kind of hard when no one else will want to group with you because they will all be running around doing their own little single player instances and will be far too busy to bother with other players. In this respect this game is going to be "The WoW soloist attitude" times a factor of 100.
    If people don't want to group with you then that is their right as the paying customer. Why should people be forced to play with you if they don't like you?.If I feel like playing with people I should be able to, and if I don't feel like it, then I shouldn't be made to.
    I always love when you folks use WOW as an example of how everything's solo  yet whenever I'm in game I see groups all the time. I even join them on occasion if they seem like they are mature enough. When I need to group on something I know where to find them. Guildies make the process easier and if you don't know how to join or start a guild of like minded players then it is YOUR responsibility to learn.That's what the guild feature in games are for.You can go to the official site right now and talk to posters who are starting their own fleets.But I'll be damned if I'll be forced to pay 15 of my hard earned dollars every month just to deal with whining brats who need everything now or some power tripping wanna be who thinks he/she is Hitler.Hence why the forced grouping concept is dead and won't be making any re-appearances in the near future.

LOL... As always you missed my point entirely. The whole premise behind the way the mission system is set up and the fact that they are going to be heavily instanced gives people no incentive to group at all. Add on top of it that everyone will basically have there own little group following them around everywhere they go(NPC crews) and there is even less incentive to group. Even guilds in this game are going to be a total joke as it will be basically a group of people chatting but still playing their own little single player Star Trek game.

You seem to think that grouping has to equal forced grouping... sorry but you're as wrong as ever. Grouping should always be optional but just putting the party mechanic in the game isn't enough. Guild wars did this and no one ever wanted to group... ever. Do you know why? Because why group when the game is 100% soloable and they provide you with your own little NPC group anyways. Add on top of that all of the instancing and you got a massive online single player game. This is why most in the MMO community including developers don't even consider Guild Wars a MMO. STO is heading down that same slippery slope. The way it's going at this point this game will not be a MMO. It will be in the same classification as Guild Wars and Hellgate London... Almost a MMO but not quite. Oh well it no use arguing with you as you just won't see anyone else's point but your own through your rose tinted fanboy glasses anyways so I'm done here.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Originally posted by ktanner3

ktanner3 is just your run-of-the-mill fanboy. I know because I used to be one. Not too long ago I was singing the praises of this game from on high and anyone who didn't agree with my narrow view of what STO was in my mind was dismissed as a troll. The interviews in the last few months changed all of that for me however. I was outraged at the revelations in those interviews for awhile but now I'm just kinda indifferent about the game. I will probably still try it but I won't be buying it until I either get a free trial or at the very least some good reviews by some trusted media.
    Whatever you say pal. I don't think this game is perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I've made my points clear on the official website what I want in game. Do you see me here whining here in every thread about no playable merchants or Borg? I'll save you the trouble of looking, you won't find it.I  just don't go gung ho like some around here and predict a game's failure when I don't get what I want.  If that's your warped interpretation of a fanboy then I'll gladly wear the cape.
     As for what your trying to say in this thread I see your point. I would however say that this game is shaping up like ST: Legacy and Elite Force 2 had a bastard child. With limited 3d person view space action and a heavily instanced avatar game this is shaping up to be a massively Multi-player single player experience. Those that think there will be any grouping in this game are delusional at best. With almost all missions instanced and your own little force of NPC pets following you around there will be absolutely no reason to group what-so-ever. People like ktanner are quick to point out that you can still group if you want to but that will be kind of hard when no one else will want to group with you because they will all be running around doing their own little single player instances and will be far too busy to bother with other players. In this respect this game is going to be "The WoW soloist attitude" times a factor of 100.
    If people don't want to group with you then that is their right as the paying customer. Why should people be forced to play with you if they don't like you?.If I feel like playing with people I should be able to, and if I don't feel like it, then I shouldn't be made to.
    I always love when you folks use WOW as an example of how everything's solo  yet whenever I'm in game I see groups all the time. I even join them on occasion if they seem like they are mature enough. When I need to group on something I know where to find them. Guildies make the process easier and if you don't know how to join or start a guild of like minded players then it is YOUR responsibility to learn.That's what the guild feature in games are for.You can go to the official site right now and talk to posters who are starting their own fleets.But I'll be damned if I'll be forced to pay 15 of my hard earned dollars every month just to deal with whining brats who need everything now or some power tripping wanna be who thinks he/she is Hitler.Hence why the forced grouping concept is dead and won't be making any re-appearances in the near future.

LOL... As always you missed my point entirely. The whole premise behind the way the mission system is set up and the fact that they are going to be heavily instanced gives people no incentive to group at all. Add on top of it that everyone will basically have there own little group following them around everywhere they go(NPC crews) and there is even less incentive to group. Even guilds in this game are going to be a total joke as it will be basically a group of people chatting but still playing their own little single player Star Trek game.

I don't see how that is true. If the ability to group together for missions isn't there then you would have a point. But as long as people have that ability to group together like in WOW then your fears are unjusified. The videos show many ships together fighting other groups of ships. That seems like team work to me. Just because it's happening out in space and not inside the ship doesn't make it less of a group effort.

You seem to think that grouping has to equal forced grouping... sorry but you're as wrong as ever. Grouping should always be optional but just putting the party mechanic in the game isn't enough. Guild wars did this and no one ever wanted to group... ever. Do you know why? Because why group when the game is 100% soloable and they provide you with your own little NPC group anyways. Add on top of that all of the instancing and you got a massive online single player game. This is why most in the MMO community including developers don't even consider Guild Wars a MMO. STO is heading down that same slippery slope. The way it's going at this point this game will not be a MMO. It will be in the same classification as Guild Wars and Hellgate London... Almost a MMO but not quite. Oh well it no use arguing with you as you just won't see anyone else's point but your own through your rose tinted fanboy glasses anyways so I'm done here.

Typical. I don't agree with you so I must be a fanboy. You're right we are done here.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• fcazaresfcazares Member Posts: 190

As I understand it there will be far more to do then away missions. I doubt that there would be too many away missions that would require more than one ships worth of away teams so it makes sense there would be less of a grouping opportunity there if a person controls their ship and the crew of that ship. How many away missions did you see in any of the series with more than one ships crew? Virtually never. Of course they would make the game so each player is a captain of their own ship because everyone wants to be in charge and top dog it's sort of a natural human thing that is especially true of gamers. I would like to point out, as well, that there is great grouping potential in space where multiple ships form fleets necessary to do fleet battles or other operations requiring more than one type of ship. So look something for everyone. A novel idea: Maybe we could let the game release and try it before we cry about its limitations.

• TadamitsuTadamitsu Member Posts: 118

Wow lots of trolling and assuming going on.

Anyone here who is in beta and is willing to admit it? 

no?  I thought not.

hopefully they will have enought flexibilty in STO that you can just do patrol burn em down missions if you want or more exploration missions..   

"hey look lets go to the delta quadrant!!!!"    (hope you brought friends)  

or

"lets go over here and explore and do away  missions and play with phasers"  (hope you brought friends)

The key to a good MMO is to give you players enought content to do what they want  to do.

played:WoW and Eve off and on 5 years
    Tried:CoH/V, PoTBS, War, TR, STO, FE
    TOR is likely to rock

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by fcazares

As I understand it there will be far more to do then away missions. I doubt that there would be too many away missions that would require more than one ships worth of away teams so it makes sense there would be less of a grouping opportunity there if a person controls their ship and the crew of that ship. How many away missions did you see in any of the series with more than one ships crew? Virtually never. Of course they would make the game so each player is a captain of their own ship because everyone wants to be in charge and top dog it's sort of a natural human thing that is especially true of gamers. I would like to point out, as well, that there is great grouping potential in space where multiple ships form fleets necessary to do fleet battles or other operations requiring more than one type of ship. So look something for everyone. A novel idea: Maybe we could let the game release and try it before we cry about its limitations.

Thank you. One of the few intellingent posts ive seen on this thread.