Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic should have made this SFC4......

grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162

I mean let's take a hard look at how much better it would be for them to change their game direction and make a Massive SFB based war simulator.

Because their instanced POS engine isn't suitable for a MMORPG, but it would be perfect for something like Starfleet Command 4. 

Calling this game Star Trek Online with this game engines limitations is just stupid..totally..completely.........STUPID

Comments

• noblotnoblot Member Posts: 287

I'm with you on this, one the best games ever, I would love to play Hydran again.

The problem I see with this game is that there are two sets of expectations, those that want a game like SFC but with other players, and those that want a traditional MMO with worlds to explore.

From the look of it, Cryptic are trying to satisfy both ends of the market, and I think that might be difficult to do; although I wish them the best. I just hope they look at SFC and see that was probably the best starship game that has been done (well more SFC2 really). In fairness I haven't tried either Eve or Jumpgate, although I might try Jumpgate evolution - if I can spare the time from killing Dwarfs in WAR.

• grimbojgrimboj Member Posts: 2,102

Previous star trek games have been absolute fail because exploration makes for a VERY boring game. Any game they produce that isn't a crew based war simulator will fail drastically.

--
    Note: PlayNC will refuse to allow you access to your account if you forget your password and can't provide a scanned image of the product key for the first product you purchased..... LOL

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365
    Originally posted by grimboj

Previous star trek games have been absolute fail because exploration makes for a VERY boring game. Any game they produce that isn't a crew based war simulator will fail drastically.

hehe, you're funny.

They're going to have much much more to do than just exploration. It's going to have it's place, but it won't be the primary thing being done by people. I'd suggest reading up on the game before making silly comments like this. Sorry for having to put it that way, but when you do read up on the game I think you yourself will see how silly that statement was.

• TheGrueTheGrue Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by grimboj

Sorry, but no.

Star Trek games have been in many different areas and most of these games did quite well, we've had adventure games both text-based and graphical, FPS games, tactical games, build-your-own-ship games and yes action/adventure games.

the few that totally invalidates your comment is Star Trek 25Th Anniversary and Judgement Rights which both play out as mini Star Trek episode and are considered to be some of the best titles released in the Star Trek series.

Final Unity was the same, using both combat and adventure elements together,ST: Starfleet Academy i would consider to be more of a Starfleet cadet simulator than a combat sim, although both do exist in-game.

• dsebutchrdsebutchr Member Posts: 245

I can see a lot of you...well all but one of you want a sandbox STO game.  I think one of you, the one your all making fun of, gets it.

I think you should all take a look at what Cryptic has done in the past and then look at what they have said you can do in this new game.  Then remind yourself of what they've done in the past again.

I wont make judgements until the beta.  I think anyone doing so is just wasting their time.  But then mmorpg.com is known for having more trolls than any other two websites combined.

Originally posted by dsebutchr

I can see a lot of you...well all but one of you want a sandbox STO game.  I think one of you, the one your all making fun of, gets it.
    I think you should all take a look at what Cryptic has done in the past and then look at what they have said you can do in this new game.  Then remind yourself of what they've done in the past again.
    I wont make judgements until the beta.  I think anyone doing so is just wasting their time.  But then mmorpg.com is known for having more trolls than any other two websites combined.

I don't see anybody 'making fun' of anyone on here, could you point out the example please?

At this point i'm happy this game is still being worked on after Perpetual, it deserves that much....as for Cryptic's track record in the past,that can be pointed out with many companies, Activision, EA, SoE, Atari, Lucasarts, should we now naysay anything that is brought out by them as well?

I'm willing to simply watch as Cryptic makes this, Cryptic hasn't been around since 1999, they are still a young company and has managed to do a fairly decent job considering the competition they've had over the last nine years.

Originally posted by TheGrue

I don't see anybody 'making fun' of anyone on here, could you point out the example please?

I'm willing to simply watch as Cryptic makes this, Cryptic hasn't been around since 1999, they are still a young company and has managed to do a fairly decent job considering the competition they've had over the last nine years. 

Doesn't matter enough to me to bother.

I agree, simply watch and wait.  Everything else is speculation at best...which was my point.

It mattered enough for you to bring it up in your last post.

*shrug* oh well.

I just hoped it would bother one of you as much as it has you.  You've mentioned it twice so you understood exactly what I meant and it ticked you off.

Mission accomplished, regardless.

I just hoped it would bother one of you as much as it has you.  You've mentioned it twice so you understood exactly what I meant and it ticked you off.

Mission accomplished, regardless.

No, i wanted you to show proof of people 'making fun' of others, you failed to provide it because it doesn't exist instead you gave the typical "pfft whatever" response that translates to:

"i was wrong but i won't retract my statement because that would be me admitting my mistake"

You accomplished nothing except to prove that you see what isn't there, your inability to admit it, and your trollish nature.

ahh grue, you pulled the jackass card, you were just a schmuck then you decided to show us all you're a jackass.

Ok your proof.

Hagonbok :  hehe, your funny

This is example 1.

I'd suggest reading up on the game before making silly comments like this. 

This is example 2.

Then we have your dumb arse.

Grue

Sorry but no.

This is example 3.   Also...

This is a jackass attempt to make fun of what he said.  You lack any skill though so it just comes across as you looking like...well a jackass.

Star trek games have been in blah blah blah - No point whatsoever and doesn't relate to his comment.  You put it here because you like to run your mouth...no other reason really.

the few that totally invalidates your comment - nice grammar here...

The two games you mentioned I assume was a joke since they both suck beyond measure...then again considering it's you...maybe you were not kidding.

You mention Final Unity as having combat and adventure...he didn't say adventure wouldn't work, he said combat needed to be in there for success.  It will be, you are arguing because you like to not because you have what we like to call a point.

Finally you use sarcasm in your statement to me which I chose to ignore.  You came back with more sarcasm...I assume it's a talent with you...it is with most jackasses.

So there's your proof...multiple examples of you and others making fun of others, and a LOT of examples of why your parents should have used birth control.

Was there anything  I missed??

• daadamodaadamo Member UncommonPosts: 135

Get a room you two, either that or bitch and argue and rip on each other by sending pm's so we don't have to hear you two go at it. Let's get back to a civil discussion about STO please?

• JustTalkingJustTalking Member CommonPosts: 206

Here's an idea Dsebutchr: why don't you step down to the level of an immature pissant troll so you can prove some idiotic point that nobody here cares about, that'll show them.

By the by congratz on coming to the aid of somebody who chose to ignore it, maybe you should take his example and shut the fuck up.

How old are you again? 37? way to act your age man, GG

moron.

If you took, "No sorry" as trying to be insulting then i don't know what to tell you, it wasn't meant to be and there was no scarsacm in my post, you see what you want to as i've already stated before.

I think i'll take the opinion of adventure gamers/star trek fans/ and my own over yours, if you think that Judgement Rights and 25TH are crap then you don't know gaming, end of discussion.

Going after somebody's grammar on a forum is the action of the truly desperate, at least we know that much about you now...willing to stoop to any level to insult and redicule, nice.

I'm done with you, you have nothing to say that i want to read and your video game knowledge could fit in a thimble with room to spare.

And you said you got to me? hmmm i didn't make a full page rant trying to counter you...who has the thin skin now?

consider yourself blocked, have a good one.

• HagonbokHagonbok Member Posts: 365

I sure don't want a sandbox game. Been there done that and didn't want the t-shirt.

By the way, I wasn't making fun of the person. Although I think it's arguable that someone that posts making some negative comment about a game, when they clearly haven't taken the time to find out if what they're being negative about is even as they think, kind of deserves to be made fun of.

It was just amusing to me. I got a picture in my head of the A-Typical 'I don't know much about the game but I think I can look cool if I post something negative about it" kind of poster. Then I offered a suggestion that the person should maybe read a bit about the game, and if they did actually take the time to read about it they'd see that they're comments were silly.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

I suggest the OP and the others who question whether this game is a RPG to look up the definition before spouting such gibberish.

RPG:A role-playing game (RPG; often roleplaying game) is a game in which the participants assume the roles of fictional characters. [1] Participants determine the actions of their characters based on their characterization, [1] and the actions succeed or fail according to a formal system of rules and guidelines. [2] Within the rules, players have the freedom to improvise; their choices shape the direction and outcome of the game. [2]

STO is all the above so that makes this a ...

THREAD FAIL

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• grndzrogrndzro Member UncommonPosts: 1,162
    Originally posted by ktanner3

I suggest the OP and the others who question whether this game is a RPG to look up the definition before spouting such gibberish

I never said STO was or isn't a RPG you jackass, learn to read.

I simply said this engine isn't suitable for making a Star Trek MMORPG. The Engine is better suited to making a SFC type game.

That, and clearly Cryptic dosen't have the resources to make STO into a success.  I know that's open to anyone's opinion but based on the overwhelming feedback on the lack of Factions, the lack of PSI's, the lack of crafting..... STO might be a good game, but I think it will be another failure.

Originally posted by grndzro

I suggest the OP and the others who question whether this game is a RPG to look up the definition before spouting such gibberish

I simply said this engine isn't suitable for making a Star Trek MMORPG. The Engine is better suited to making a SFC type game.

That, and clearly Cryptic dosen't have the resources to make STO into a success.  I know that's open to anyone's opinion but based on the overwhelming feedback on the lack of Factions, the lack of PSI's, the lack of crafting..... STO might be a good game, but I think it will be another failure.

"I mean let's take a hard look at how much better it would be for them to change their game direction and make a Massive SFB based war simulator.

Because their instanced POS engine isn't suitable for a MMORPG, but it would be perfect for something like Starfleet Command 4. 

Calling this game Star Trek Online with this game engines limitations is just stupid..totally..completely.........STUPID"

If that's not questioning the game's validity as a true MMORPG then I don't know what is. It's similiar to what many others like you do when they troll the forums for new games.  The game isn't what you wanted to see so you use the forums to troll . Anyone with a rational bone in their body would see it that way. How is your drive by thread any different than we've seen from the other trolls?

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188

I would of preferred ST: Armada 3.

"I mean let's take a hard look at how much better it would be for them to change their game direction and make a Massive SFB based war simulator.

Calling this game Star Trek Online with this game engines limitations is just stupid..totally..completely.........STUPID"

If that's not questioning the game's validity as a true MMORPG then I don't know what is. It's similiar to what many others like you do when they troll the forums for new games.  The game isn't what you wanted to see so you use the forums to troll . Anyone with a rational bone in their body would see it that way. How is your drive by thread any different than we've seen from the other trolls?

And how many  "I think this Game engine would be better suited for SFC4"  threads are there......yea......this is the only one. 

Fine U win I HATE what Cryptic is doing to STO.  I'll be the first to admit that.

While this isn't a Troll thread....or at least it wasn't meant to be one you have turned it into one... congrats

Go ahead call ma a STO Hater, A Troll. I agree, I am those things.

BECAUSE THIS GAME IS NOTHING LIKE WHAT I  WOULD EXPECT FROM STO

Happy now? now get the hell out of my thread troll.

And how many  "I think this Game engine would be better suited for SFC4"  threads are there......yea......this is the only one. 

Fine U win I HATE what Cryptic is doing to STO.  I'll be the first to admit that.

While this isn't a Troll thread....or at least it wasn't meant to be one you have turned it into one... congrats

I'll post wherever I please. If you don't like it then don't respond to anything I said. If you had read any of the faqs on this game you would know this is nothing like Starfleet Command. Starfleet Command never had away teams, never had an economy, never had a personalized avatar, never had a neutral zone,never allowed you to see the interior of any base or starship etc.etc.etc. Your statement is false beyond belief and I will never allow false statements about this game to go unchallenged here.

• MoretrinketsMoretrinkets Member Posts: 730

mommy!

I'll post wherever I please. If you don't like it then don't respond to anything I said. If you had read any of the faqs on this game you would know this is nothing like Starfleet Command. Starfleet Command never had away teams, never had an economy, never had a personalized avatar, never had a neutral zone,never allowed you to see the interior of any base or starship etc.etc.etc. Your statement is false beyond belief and I will never allow false statements about this game to go unchallenged here.

What False statement did I give? I only expressed my opinion that STO's engine isn't very well suited for STO. Please explain what statement I made.

I never compared STO to SFC, so why are you even spouting this garbage at me?

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

ktanner3 is just your run-of-the-mill fanboy. I know because I used to be one. Not too long ago I was singing the praises of this game from on high and anyone who didn't agree with my narrow view of what STO was in my mind was dismissed as a troll. The interviews in the last few months changed all of that for me however. I was outraged at the revelations in those interviews for awhile but now I'm just kinda indifferent about the game. I will probably still try it but I won't be buying it until I either get a free trial or at the very least some good reviews by some trusted media.

As for what your trying to say in this thread I see your point. I would however say that this game is shaping up like ST: Legacy and Elite Force 2 had a bastard child. With limited 3d person view space action and a heavily instanced avatar game this is shaping up to be a massively Multi-player single player experience. Those that think there will be any grouping in this game are delusional at best. With almost all missions instanced and your own little force of NPC pets following you around there will be absolutely no reason to group what-so-ever. People like ktanner are quick to point out that you can still group if you want to but that will be kind of hard when no one else will want to group with you because they will all be running around doing their own little single player instances and will be far too busy to bother with other players. In this respect this game is going to be "The WoW soloist attitude" times a factor of 100.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

Originally posted by Brenelael

ktanner3 is just your run-of-the-mill fanboy. I know because I used to be one. Not too long ago I was singing the praises of this game from on high and anyone who didn't agree with my narrow view of what STO was in my mind was dismissed as a troll. The interviews in the last few months changed all of that for me however. I was outraged at the revelations in those interviews for awhile but now I'm just kinda indifferent about the game. I will probably still try it but I won't be buying it until I either get a free trial or at the very least some good reviews by some trusted media.
    Whatever you say pal. I don't think this game is perfect by any stretch of the imagination and I've made my points clear on the official website what I want in game. Do you see me here whining here in every thread about no playable merchants or Borg? I'll save you the trouble of looking, you won't find it.I  just don't go gung ho like some around here and predict a game's failure when I don't get what I want.  If that's your warped interpretation of a fanboy then I'll gladly wear the cape.
     As for what your trying to say in this thread I see your point. I would however say that this game is shaping up like ST: Legacy and Elite Force 2 had a bastard child. With limited 3d person view space action and a heavily instanced avatar game this is shaping up to be a massively Multi-player single player experience. Those that think there will be any grouping in this game are delusional at best. With almost all missions instanced and your own little force of NPC pets following you around there will be absolutely no reason to group what-so-ever. People like ktanner are quick to point out that you can still group if you want to but that will be kind of hard when no one else will want to group with you because they will all be running around doing their own little single player instances and will be far too busy to bother with other players. In this respect this game is going to be "The WoW soloist attitude" times a factor of 100.
    If people don't want to group with you then that is their right as the paying customer. Why should people be forced to play with you if they don't like you?.If I feel like playing with people I should be able to, and if I don't feel like it, then I shouldn't be made to.
    I always love when you folks use WOW as an example of how everything's solo  yet whenever I'm in game I see groups all the time. I even join them on occasion if they seem like they are mature enough. When I need to group on something I know where to find them. Guildies make the process easier and if you don't know how to join or start a guild of like minded players then it is YOUR responsibility to learn.That's what the guild feature in games are for.You can go to the official site right now and talk to posters who are starting their own fleets.But I'll be damned if I'll be forced to pay 15 of my hard earned dollars every month just to deal with whining brats who need everything now or some power tripping wanna be who thinks he/she is Hitler.Hence why the forced grouping concept is dead and won't be making any re-appearances in the near future.