Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Overview of this game from a newbie standpoint

jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Greets. I have tried this game for free (14 days trial) and here is my overview:

Right from the start i was very disappointed for a simple reason: I didnt know what to do or even how to fly (besides the WARP TO and APPROACH). I spent some time wondering around, docking with the station, learning the GUI. I noticed immediately that my GUI was bugged - parts of it disappeared and then instantly reappeared ( have you seen a movie where they show a cheap hotel with a neon sign on top of it and one of the letters keeps blinking, fading in and out? that sort of effect). I managed to fix the bug but i did spend an hour or so trying to figure that out. At the end, i fixed the bug but i still have no idea how i did that. Anyway, back to the game... It was boring, mining, docking, learning blah blah. I didnt ask questions from people at first, i like to learn a game for myself. But, as i found it out, i needed help... and i got it. There are a lot of people ready to help you start off, so if you want to get into the game right away - ask questions! People typing in funny colors are volunteers, they help other rookies like myself to get to know the game.
I got lucky, a person named CyberRaver helped me out a LOT with advices, a new ship, 4 mil credits (Who wants to be a millionaire? its too easy to become one) , some skill and he showed me around how to mine, fight, fly, navigate, operate different devices, take missions and a lot more. So here is probably the most important advice to all you rookie pilots: GET HELP ASAP! Cause yer screwed meat otherwise!

Anyhow, life becuase easy, after all, 4 mils can buy a lot of freedom, booze, girls, booze, some more booze... But as it always is, easy life gets into you and you start to wonder "whats outside"? As did I. And I went outside. And it is very beautifull outside. Graphics are great, animation is smooth, ship detail is awesome! I have learned that this game is very deep... so deep that you can spend MONTHS trying to get somewhere. Thats one of the bad points. As a rookie pilot, I expected to be able to get into instant action ala Planetside. Tough chance! Random pirates at asteroid belts, sometimes they catch you at the warp gate. But basically its all the same. One fight never differs from the other. I know I know as an experienced player you might say "You havent seen even 1/1000000000 of the game!" but this is a guide for a rookie player with a crappy ship ( i loved that ship but people keep telling me it was crappy, must be the brown paint or somethin' ). This game has a long learning curve, u "learn learn and once more learn" - as Vladimir Lenin said. At the same time, there isnt much going on in space. Sure, I hear all the rumors about PvP and fleets of dozens and more ships attacking but I never saw that and probably wouldnt for a few months (it took me 2 hours to be able to get to level 2 ship command, it would take me 2.5 days to get to level 3 and im guessing around a month to get to level 4, and thats where u want to be in order to be able to use the BIG ships. Im not talking about all otehr skills like gunnery (ud basically have a pee-shooter on a big-kickass ship), electronics or whatever. I never leveled any of those cuase i spent all my time leveling that ship control or whatever its called.
Anyways, If i could summarize this game from a rookie point view, who probably missed 90% of all the fun in this game, then I would say: "This game looks great, is very deep,is hard to master and is pretty boring for a couple of months". I think if you can get through the "rookie" stage, this game is great. Ive seen some of the PvP videos from the official site and they look great! But to spend months and months of time just getting there... its not for me. I like to be flexible and I always follow my mood... If i wanna fight, i fight, if i wanna mine I mine, and if i wanna just fly around the asteroid, shooting space squirrels then i wanna do that. Unfortunately, Eve cannot provide that flexibility. Takes too long. But its worth a try! After all, its FREE for 14 days!

"The only thing that is better then a bottle of beer is a bottle of beer full of beer" - old Gnomish proverb

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
imageimage

Comments

• TivianTivian Member UncommonPosts: 168

I have been in Eve since the end of 2nd beta(Nov 2002). As some one new comming into the game you should hook up with players that have been in game for a while. Because of the real time training its going to take a while for you to become an effective player. Tivian my character was born on May 10, 2003 and was not able to fly a battleship till the end of December of 2003. You are right though you have not even scratched the surface of what this game can be. You should take the time to play it more and be patient. Its well worth the effort.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Aye, im beginning to like this game again. Not sure how long this will last (I hope never caus i like this game at this point :) )

Although this game isnt very much action packed from start, I hear all sorts of good things about Corp PvP. But you will need to get a good ship for that, and perhaps a good corp as well or u will end up image

The good thing is, if I get bored with hunting pirates, i can always switch to manufacturing/mining, plus there is no grind, which is not a good thing if you are a powergamer. But, since im not - its great news image

"The only thing that is better then a bottle of beer is a bottle of beer full of beer" - old Gnomish proverb

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage